post #5041 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

Skyfall is stunning on this TV, I agree. Even my wife commented on the Shanghai scenes at night being spectacular. I didn't notice the fluctuations so much during the movie, as I recall. Typically I notice it more with more static content, like news programs and some TV dramas and sitcoms.

it was the mostly static scenes where I noticed it, usually with closeups of faces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
ATTN: Fairchild

I plugged in your latest calibration (+2 brightness) and it looks pretty great at first glance. Just wanted to ask if you think it's better than the one from the day before with lots of W/B adjustments?
post #5043 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

it was the mostly static scenes where I noticed it, usually with closeups of faces

What picture mode are you using on your BD player?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5044 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post

Got my 65" S64 today. Loving the size and picture.

One thing is I need to use 3 HDMI inputs.

-TiVo Roamio
-Blu-Ray Player
-Apple TV

What's the easiest way to do this with only 2 inputs on the TV.

get a receiver
post #5045 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

The S60 does indeed have a pretty dim picture, compared to other plasmas and especially LED sets. .

I'm not finding my 65S60 dim at all. At some of the recommended calibrations it seemed a little dim, but not once I started upping the contrast. I may be causing other issues by doing that, but it looks pretty great to me.
post #5046 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

What picture mode are you using on your BD player?

Ian

none, it's a PS3 and has no picture modes/settings
post #5047 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 10

Just got my second S60 from Amazon. The first one buzzed, this one does too. I seemed to have found a fix for it though :p. My viewing room is extremely quiet (and the viewing distance is only 7 feet). I'd like to find a solution that works similar, maybe acoustic foam?

Any ideas?

post #5048 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

That 2.4 setting is probably closer to 2,2 gamma in reality and the 2,2 setting is more like 2.0

I was kind of thinking the same thing, seems like 2.3 would of been the perfect match. 2.4 still looks a tiny bit on the dark side. still messing around with High and medium panel brightness at the moment. Right now i have it set to 'high', gamma to 2.4 and brightness set to -2.
post #5049 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 PM

i just ordered this tv. this is my first smart tv. i used WDTV to watch netflix and play .avis off a USB. i know this has a built in netflix, but can it play .avis or .mkvs right off usb also? thanks!
post #5050 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by halperin View Post

i just ordered this tv. this is my first smart tv. i used WDTV to watch netflix and play .avis off a USB. i know this has a built in netflix, but can it play .avis or .mkvs right off usb also? thanks!

No, it can't play .avi

Not sure about .mkv

It plays .mp4
post #5051 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halperin View Post

It will do MKV container files, but it does depend on what audio and video encoding is used. AVC (x264) and most audio formats are supported (including DTS).

post #5052 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmurdoc View Post

Hi, I'm a new owner of the 42" version that Sears.com was selling for $399. I wanted to share my solution for the circuit board/transformer buzz that originates from the back. The back panel has no sound insulating properties so I purchased foam adhesive used for computers and covered the entire inner portion of the back panel. I covered all the ventilation holes except for the ones on top and bottom. Temperature will likely rise, but I predict it'll still be within tolerable levels since the top and bottom ventilation holes are more important for air flow (hot air expands and rises up, not horizontally, and cooler is drawn from the bottom). You can test this theory by watching TV for a few hours and notice that only the top back panel is hot. Anyway, this almost completely removed the electronic noise coming from the transformers. This is the material I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040JHMH6/

Took a lot of digging to find this post, but I think this guy might be on to something. I'm just a bit afraid of voiding the warranty on a brand new panel. Is it possible to remove the back cover without any obvious signs I've been in there?

post #5053 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwidow View Post

ATTN: Fairchild

I plugged in your latest calibration (+2 brightness) and it looks pretty great at first glance. Just wanted to ask if you think it's better than the one from the day before with lots of W/B adjustments?

It is the one that I left on my 50S60 which won't be getting much attention from me now that my main TV will be the 55VT60.

The +2 brightness calibration was based on a higher gamma which is good for dim viewing conditions but also works fine in daylight I've noticed. It also has a bit more shadow detail in the really dark scenes.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #5054 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 11

i think so,Panasonics haven't had an analog audio output since 2005, and maybe 2006 at the latest . Everything since then has been line-level digital optical out only.thank you

os9n8Q

post #5055 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I was kind of thinking the same thing, seems like 2.3 would of been the perfect match. 2.4 still looks a tiny bit on the dark side. still messing around with High and medium panel brightness at the moment. Right now i have it set to 'high', gamma to 2.4 and brightness set to -2.

in my tests and mid and high PB are the same brightness, but high is much noiser
post #5056 of 7272 Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

in my tests and mid and high PB are the same brightness, but high is much noiser

High seems to slightly wash out shadow detail. while boosting the brightness a little which does make a nice difference, the whites are noticeably whiter as well. If using 'High' with gamma at 2.4 i'd personally plunk the brightness down to -2. These are my final settings, i just can't go back to Med, it's just a little to dim for my tastes. Now If this display were capable of the 8500's brightness i'd be in heaven, almost haha. It's a real shame that somebody hasn't created some sort of device that would rid gaming lag all together so us gamers would beable to pick ANY TV we wanted instead of being severely limmited each year. I would of personally went for the 60" Samsung 8500. With it's groundbreaking brightness that CNET says can get very close to LED-like levels(Which is awesome for gaming) and it's unbeatable Motion handling which slightly tops the ST60, and fantastic black levels to boot(I'd imagine the ST60 has it 'slightly' beat, but eh) but alas, 54ms of lag. eek!
post #5057 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

1. Some users have kept a copy of the settings, I think MountainMichael may have some, you could try pm'ng him.....

Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile and wanted to thank you for that informative reply you gave me.

I tried your newest settings and am trying to compare them to the last ones I was using, the ones with contrast at 86. What I'm wondering is which settings are tied to which and can't be changed or else the whole calibrating is off. Are colors ties to contrast and brightness? White balance as well? I guess what I'm wondering is if I can leave color and white balance alone from one calibrating and then use the contrast/brightness/gamma from another.

This newest one is contrast 80 brighteness +2 and gamma 2.6. That's compare to 86 -2 and 2.4 respectively. That's quite a bit darker, no?

Just kinda wondering what can be fiddled with independently and not go too far off calibration, or even at all...or if everything always effects everything.

Where do the game/photo settings come into play? I never see them mentioned in calibrations and not even sure where to find them. I know I came across them once, but just left it where it was.

What's the advantage of calibrating at panel brightness mid, compared to low? I think Cnet does it at low.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

Gradation question here. My apologies if this has been addressed earlier in this thread, but for some reason the search button isn't working for me. my 65S60 shows very noticable steps in the colors if a large patch fades gradually from one color to another. Are there settings that exaggerate this issue? eg, does a high contrast setting make it worse? I've had the set for less than a month, and really not had a whole lot of time to try different settings, but I do have the Contrast up pretty high.

I see this on the "Marvel Splash" screen at the beginning of the movie and sometimes during bright translucent special effects with motion and slow pans in older movies with a darker background. I think it's called posterization? I was surprised to see it as I thought it was a non-issue with modern plasmas. How do we reduce it?
Quote:

You can literally watch different parts of the screen dimming and then brightening. The Samsung plasmas are said to have less aggressive ABL, in case that is a big factor for you.

So, if you already know for sure what your viewing habits will be, I think you can make a pretty good decision.

I thought Samsung was known for more? I think the 8500 was supposed to be a bit better for it, but I see much more complaints about Sammy ABL and even the Sammy fans say it's a Sammy thing in general. I haven't seen much if any on my S64, so maybe it varies by set? I'm sensitive to it, so it's not just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorlightning View Post

Took a lot of digging to find this post, but I think this guy might be on to something. I'm just a bit afraid of voiding the warranty on a brand new panel. Is it possible to remove the back cover without any obvious signs I've been in there?

Wondering if you tried it?

I'm so bummed because I have popping and buzzing! The buzzing seemed to have gotten worse after I messed with the screws that are supposed to help with the popping issue. I don't know what to do, thinking of going Sammy, but the 5300 has no AR filter and I'm not sure if the picture will compare or not? I love the picture on the S64. The Sammy is said to deal with motion better, but I've not had much of an issue there. I think they can buzz as well.

I just don't know what to do. I really want Plasma over LCD, but this buzzing and such is a real issue.
post #5058 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

Wondering if you tried it?

I'm so bummed because I have popping and buzzing! The buzzing seemed to have gotten worse after I messed with the screws that are supposed to help with the popping issue. I don't know what to do, thinking of going Sammy, but the 5300 has no AR filter and I'm not sure if the picture will compare or not? I love the picture on the S64. The Sammy is said to deal with motion better, but I've not had much of an issue there. I think they can buzz as well.

I just don't know what to do. I really want Plasma over LCD, but this buzzing and such is a real issue.

Haven't tried it yet. Again, I'm a bit scared of voiding my warranty. A kind user pointed me to this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479356/2013-panasonic-s60-s64-diy-noise-reduction-experiments-illustrated/ which has a lot of information about "popping" which I haven't experienced, but it does have some information about the buzzing. The magnetic sheet idea looks like it might be the first thing to try.

I'd be up for any more suggestions, as I'm not sure whether or not adding mass to the back panel would really make much difference in the internal power supply buzzing.

post #5059 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 05:54 PM

Really need help finding a good calibration for gaming on my xbox 360 im having trouble getting it bright without being to bright... Ive been searching this thread but cant find any plz help!
post #5060 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thompson View Post

Really need help finding a good calibration for gaming on my xbox 360 im having trouble getting it bright without being to bright... Ive been searching this thread but cant find any plz help!

As far as brightness goes, For Wii U, i've settled with custom mode, maxed the contrast to 100, panel brightness to HIGH, brightness itself set to -1 and gamma at 2.4(Which some user mentioned is basically the '2.2' for this set, 2,2 actually being closer to 2.0 oddly enough) I'm not using the AGC(or BE) anymore, because even though AGC does brighten up the picture similar to my CRT, it almost completely burns out color detail turning that specific color into a giant saturated blob. :P So i'd leave them off. And Like Bluray discs, it seems like HD games have richer colors and brighter/higher contrast so this should help out in itself vs playing standard def games like on the Wii, PS2 or XBOX ect ect.

My only complains with the S60 is that yes, i wish it were brighter, I wish the ABL was less agressive, i wish the motion wa a bit better(Enter the ST60 and especially the 8500. :P) and i wish it had one frame of lag vs 34ms....which i'm sure is good enough for most gamers, and i've adjusted it to it, but it aint 'on the dime' quick and kinetic the way 0ms feels on my crt. but eh, it was it is. On the flips side, the S60's blacks are awesome, the color seems accurate(outside of the red push), the color gamut itself is capable of rich, vibrant and vivid colors, it's got PRO controls, gamma presets, pretty decent motion and boasts 2 frames of lag which is the lowest of any plasma for 2013.
post #5061 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

As far as brightness goes, For Wii U, i've settled with custom mode, maxed the contrast to 100, panel brightness to HIGH, brightness itself set to -1 and gamma at 2.4(Which some user mentioned is basically the '2.2' for this set, 2,2 actually being closer to 2.0 oddly enough) I'm not using the AGC(or BE) anymore, because even though AGC does brighten up the picture similar to my CRT, it almost completely burns out color detail turning that specific color into a giant saturated blob. :P So i'd leave them off. And Like Bluray discs, it seems like HD games have richer colors and brighter/higher contrast so this should help out in itself vs playing standard def games like on the Wii, PS2 or XBOX ect ect.

My only complains with the S60 is that yes, i wish it were brighter, I wish the ABL was less agressive, i wish the motion wa a bit better(Enter the ST60 and especially the 8500. :P) and i wish it had one frame of lag vs 34ms....which i'm sure is good enough for most gamers, and i've adjusted it to it, but it aint 'on the dime' quick and kinetic the way 0ms feels on my crt. but eh, it was it is. On the flips side, the S60's blacks are awesome, the color seems accurate(outside of the red push), the color gamut itself is capable of rich, vibrant and vivid colors, it's got PRO controls, gamma presets, pretty decent motion and boasts 2 frames of lag which is the lowest of any plasma for 2013.

Do you, or anybody else, know if the ABL is less aggressive on the 60ST60? I am sending my 60S60 back mostly because of the dimming it does when any significant portion of the screen has bright content on it. I do wish it got a bit brighter overall, but the ABL is a deal breaker on the S60. I had pretty much decided to go with a LED model, but I think I'd love the ST60 if it has minimal ABL.

post #5062 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you, or anybody else, know if the ABL is less aggressive on the 60ST60? I am sending my 60S60 back mostly because of the dimming it does when any significant portion of the screen has bright content on it. I do wish it got a bit brighter overall, but the ABL is a deal breaker on the S60. I had pretty much decided to go with a LED model, but I think I'd love the ST60 if it has minimal ABL.

I'm not sure about the ST60's ABL, but the ST60 itself boasts even deeper blacks, a brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients, an anti glare filter and 3D Vs the S60. If I weren't a gamer i wouldn't even think of going with the S60, those improvements i mentioned obviously aren't night and day, but they're enough to make a noticeable clear difference. It would either be the 8500 or ST60 for me again if gaming wasn't a concern. :P But yeah, i could of sworn somebody saying that the ST60 takes a bigger plunge in regards to the ABL, but then i thought i read somebody saying it was actually a little less agressive. Not the one to ask, sorry! If i were you though, i'd spend the extra pennies and go for the 8500. Brightest plasma known to man. wink.gif

Why not just take home both the ST60 & 8500 and keep whichever one you're happy with. Both sets will clearly be better than the S60, so you can't lose. :P
Bah, now I'm stuck with the S60(because i'm a gamer, it IS the best Plasma to get on for 2013) and it's semi-dark picture.....It's odd though, some movies on bluray look really bright like 'The Incredible Melting Man' while others look dim like 'Mama'
I'll just learn to adjust, i'll look like a whacko taking back yet another TV haha. Besides i don't have any other 'plasma' choices for gaming that are on par with the S60 in terms of lag....If i were forced to go LED, my pick would be the Sony 900A(18ms for gaming), although it's still not on par with the highest rated samsung LED(terrible for gaming). Either way, both led's would drive me nuts with their motion blur.
post #5063 of 7272 Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 160

"the ST60 itself boasts even deeper blacks, a brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients, an anti glare filter and 3D Vs the S60."

OK, now I am even more confused... 

CNET, in it's review of the ST60 (and S60) said that the only real difference between the ST60 and S60 was the 3D and the filter.

Where did the even deeper blacks, brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients come from?!

Help!

post #5064 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

"the ST60 itself boasts even deeper blacks, a brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients, an anti glare filter and 3D Vs the S60."

CNET, in it's review of the ST60 (and S60) said that the only real difference between the ST60 and S60 was the 3D and the filter.

Where did the even deeper blacks, brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients come from?!

Help!

I've read several people including another who had both the S60 and ST60(I'll link you the thread as soon as i find it) in the same room where he did comparisons, including pictures where it showed that there was in fact a difference in black levels, motion and brightness/contrast.
post #5065 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

cool.gif
Quote:

I'm not sure about the ST60's ABL, but the ST60 itself boasts even deeper blacks, a brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients, an anti glare filter and 3D Vs the S60. If I weren't a gamer i wouldn't even think of going with the S60, those improvements i mentioned obviously aren't night and day, but they're enough to make a noticeable clear difference. It would either be the 8500 or ST60 for me again if gaming wasn't a concern. :P But yeah, i could of sworn somebody saying that the ST60 takes a bigger plunge in regards to the ABL, but then i thought i read somebody saying it was actually a little less agressive. Not the one to ask, sorry! If i were you though, i'd spend the extra pennies and go for the 8500. Brightest plasma known to man. wink.gif

Why not just take home both the ST60 & 8500 and keep whichever one you're happy with. Both sets will clearly be better than the S60, so you can't lose. :P
Bah, now I'm stuck with the S60(because i'm a gamer, it IS the best Plasma to get on for 2013) and it's semi-dark picture.....It's odd though, some movies on bluray look really bright like 'The Incredible Melting Man' while others look dim like 'Mama'
I'll just learn to adjust, i'll look like a whacko taking back yet another TV haha. Besides i don't have any other 'plasma' choices for gaming that are on par with the S60 in terms of lag....If i were forced to go LED, my pick would be the Sony 900A(18ms for gaming), although it's still not on par with the highest rated samsung LED(terrible for gaming). Either way, both led's would drive me nuts with their motion blur.

Wow, that may be easier said than done!wink.gif How much would that cost to bring both home, $4500? I don't think I can justify the price for a 60" 8500, but maybe I can swing the 60ST60. Really not wanting to go LED, but I hate that dimming(ABL?).

post #5066 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:

Help!

Quote:

I've read several people including another who had both the S60 and ST60(I'll link you the thread as soon as i find it) in the same room where he did comparisons, including pictures where it showed that there was in fact a difference in black levels, motion and brightness/contrast.

For a direct comparison:

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/plasma/panasonic/s60/compare#preview

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5067 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

For a direct comparison:

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/plasma/panasonic/s60/compare#preview

Ian wink.gif

Thanks for the link! That is a cool site and info. Actually, the two Samsung plasmas seem to have a better picture in the Dark Scene--notice that you can see the water in the foreground, while with the Panasonics, the water is pretty much blacked out. But maybe that could be rectified by upping the brightness a notch or two.

post #5068 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

"the ST60 itself boasts even deeper blacks, a brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients, an anti glare filter and 3D Vs the S60." OK, now I am even more confused... 
CNET, in it's review of the ST60 (and S60) said that the only real difference between the ST60 and S60 was the 3D and the filter. Where did the even deeper blacks, brighter image, brighter whites, better motion, higher gradients come from?!

Did CNet actually say "the only real difference between the ST60 and S60 was the 3D and the filter." or are you paraphrasing from memory? I don't know what you read on CNet, but there many more differences between these series than just that and CNet has covered them all in their reviews.

The ST60 has the completely different and much higher performing NeoPlasma Plasma Panel with faster-switching phosphors, and a darker Black Filter bonded to it's face. It's the same panel that's used in the higher VT60. A 3D panel by nature will perform better and be brighter than the non-3D panel used in the entry-level S60/S64 series.

CNet ST60 Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

CNet S60 Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50s60/4505-6482_7-35558333.html

Head's Up Comparison between ST60 and S64 (which is simply an S60 with an AR Filter added):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490539/heads-up-comparison-65-s64-vs-60-st60-ask-me-questions

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5069 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my S64 for a couple of days now and its absolutely stunning. It's the first new TV I've had in 5 years so I'm still tweaking all the video settings on the TiVo, BDP, apple TV and plasma itself.

How is this TV for scaling compared to a TiVo Roamio? Should I have the Roamio output 1080p or would it be better to output the native resolutions and let the TiVo handle it?
post #5070 of 7272 Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks wavyboy those settings for my 360 made a big difference....
Now to tackle my next isue with this set.... Why does everything have a green tint to it its driving me crazy mad.gif: skin tones look "off" to me.
I bought that disneys wow Calibration disc was trying to use the blue filter thing but im not exactly sure how to use it properly.
If anyone can suggest a good calibration that woul be vey much appreciated:)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page