post #571 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiemonster View Post

Great info in this thread, thanks all! smile.gif
Im due for an upgrade, I currently have a samsung 55" DLP (~15" deep) . I had preodered the 60" ST60 but now cancelled it thinking the input lag cant be patched and i dont care for 3D. Now Im looking at the 65" S64.......I can probably get away with an S60 since the tv is going in the basement mancave.
I game and with the new consoles coming out this year no lag is a must. Im itching to hear from someone who received the S64 or some more in depth reviews biggrin.gif
If your TV is in the basement mancave, the necessity for an AR filter diminishes greatly. That is, unless you have a lot of lights you like to keep on. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_One View Post

I called my local Costco, S64 is not showing up in their system, she did say that they will get the 65ST60 and it will be 200 less than msrp. However where I bought my S they gave me 200 off msrp, so even if I return the S and get the ST at Costco, it would still be 700 more than what I paid for the S.

So unless someone sees a major problem with the S and my bay window, I think I'll wait for it and see what it looks like up on the wall..
It may be cheaper to possibly get some heavy curtains after purchasing the TV--IF you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMike80 View Post

The sharpness is good and it all depends on the setting. If you set the tv in home theater, cinema, or custom I've noticed it puts out a softer image. If you put it in vivid mode it puts out a much sharper image. It all depends on how sharp you like or don't like it. I personally like to game on this tv in vivid with the sharpness turned up for a really clear picture. 1080p direct helps dim the contrast and looks awesome as long as you change your xbox settings.

You will definitely enjoy 1080p on your 60 inch from 6-8 feet away. It will look awesome. What kind of picture do you like for gaming? Sharper or softer? Vivid setting on the s60 reminds me of game mode on the s1 and u50.

Yeah, the room with the fish tank has alot of windows behind the pic and the s60 doesn't have the ar filter so I put in my room without any windows facing it.
Eh, I'll be using D-Nice's settings in custom when I get everything set up. Though I'm all for crispness, I remember his settings on the ST30 looked very natural and I never felt like I needed more sharpness. Then again, that was with a "tiny" 42-incher. hehe

Definitely looking forward to this whole 1080p direct deal, especially since activating it doesn't add any more lag (whereas it makes games unplayable on the ST60). I actually didn't know the 360 had that option for the increased RGB range. Should look amazing (if I can find it, that is). smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

^^^

I'm in Canada, not sure if Costco carries the S64, I looked at the Costco Canada website and they had no Panasonic plasma, I might call my local store, since I also looked at the US Costco website and its not on there either, but I believe it's available there (or is it only available at SAMs club?).

Be advised that Costco's online store is completely separate from their brick-and-mortar stores and their inventories usually don't carry over from one to the other. Over the past several years i've seen TVs in-store that weren't shown on their online store, and TVs on their online store that were not in inventory in any of my four local Costco stores in my area. YMMV. If you don't see it available online, pop into a store and see if they have it on the floor. And if you don't see it, they can check stock in their back room and they may have it even though it's not on display. One guy said his Costco's "AV guy" told him that only select stores will have the 65S64, and that it may only be one unit per store which goes along with AVJ saying it will be very limited production run.

Is there a Sam's Club in Canada?

On another note, my local Best Buy has the 50" ST60 on the top row very high up on the wall with an S60 a few TVs to the right also on the top row so i was able to compare their reflectivity during the darker scenes and darker content - the S60 is of course more mirror-like with the overhead HID lights being clearly visible, and the detail of the iron ceiling beams and wood ceiling planks being very clearly defined in the "mirror", but during bright scenes the reflectivity was much less of an issue as the TV is bright enough to punch through the light.

The ST60 on the other hand was much less mirror-like and the lights being so bright were still plenty visible but considerably more muted/softened, but i could barely make out the details in the iron beams and wood planks since they weren't "lit up" like the lights were.

Looking at your rooms picture, during the daytime with the blinds open you'll be able to clearly see yourself and your couch reflected in the S60's screen during dark content since the ambient light will illuminate you, but the TV is pretty bright so with brighter content (like sports) i don't think you'd see much reflection. If you sit to where the actual windows are visible in the screen then you'll see them clearly.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #573 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomnaut View Post

CNET review should be published this week, via David Katzmaier's twitter.
Awesome, I've been refreshing that page daily now. biggrin.gif
post #574 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Be advised that Costco's online store is completely separate from their brick-and-mortar stores and their inventories usually don't carry over from one to the other. Over the past several years i've seen TVs in-store that weren't shown on their online store, and TVs on their online store that were not in inventory in any of my four local Costco stores in my area. YMMV. If you don't see it available online, pop into a store and see if they have it on the floor. And if you don't see it, they can check stock in their back room and they may have it even though it's not on display. One guy said his Costco's "AV guy" told him that only select stores will have the 65S64, and that it may only be one unit per store which goes along with AVJ saying it will be very limited production run.

Is there a Sam's Club in Canada?

On another note, my local Best Buy has the 50" ST60 on the top row very high up on the wall with an S60 a few TVs to the right also on the top row so i was able to compare their reflectivity during the darker scenes and darker content - the S60 is of course more mirror-like with the overhead HID lights being clearly visible, and the detail of the iron ceiling beams and wood ceiling planks being very clearly defined in the "mirror", but during bright scenes the reflectivity was much less of an issue as the TV is bright enough to punch through the light.

The ST60 on the other hand was much less mirror-like and the lights being so bright were still plenty visible but considerably more muted/softened, but i could barely make out the details in the iron beams and wood planks since they weren't "lit up" like the lights were.

Looking at your rooms picture, during the daytime with the blinds open you'll be able to clearly see yourself and your couch reflected in the S60's screen during dark content since the ambient light will illuminate you, but the TV is pretty bright so with brighter content (like sports) i don't think you'd see much reflection. If you sit to where the actual windows are visible in the screen then you'll see them clearly.

Given that the 65S64 is that limited, imagine for Canadian Costcos.. There are no Sam's club in Canada, Walmart closed all 6 stores in 2009 in favour of opening their Superstores.

Next time I purchase a TV I might look at crossing the border to get it, prices are night and day in Canada vs US, I just wonder if with travel costs and possibly taxes/custom fees (kinda hard to hide that 65" box in the trunk) it would be worth it?

Thx for describing your experience at BB with the S60 and ST60, none of the stores have it here yet so I can't check for myself..

I'm still somewhat worried about the glare in my room, but 700 more when all I need on the ST is the filter, I can't justify that.. But I also don't want to cry everytime I watch it in daytime thinking that I should of just went for it and solve the problem.. Obviously the S64 would be my solution but looks like getting it here in Canada might be near impossible..

65" PanasonicST60 | Onkyo809 | Oppo103 + 4TB WD HDD
PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
5.2 system - 5x Arx A2 + 2x SVS SB12-NSD | Harmony One | Samsung DA-E670
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #575 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
I love my black-out curtains. wink.gif

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #576 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I love my black-out curtains. wink.gif

Yeah but my wife won't.. Especially in the main living room, nice big bay window..

I would move everything down to the basement (will have to that anyways when we have kids.. 2-year timer is on..lol) but I would have to gut it and redo that room before, too much $$ for now..

I might add my own filter on that S screen tongue.gif

PS4 pre-order | PS3 80GB / 4x USB | 1TB 9865HD | Apple TV3 | Darbee Darblet | AirPort Extreme
MonsterPower HTS1700 / 2x PRT510 / PRT410 | Monster / Blue Jeans / Emotiva cables
post #577 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy1234 View Post

S64 65" is showing in stock and able to buy on Sams club online as of this morning. $1448.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/65-600hz-plasma-tv-1080p-2-hdmi-wifi/prod9300314.ip?sprodId=prod9300314

I was waiting on Costco, because I have a membership and i prefer their customer service, but can anyone with Sams membership tell me any perks they offer for buying a TV? Extended warranty? What is the return window?

Thanks.

So still looks like no 50s64 at sams. Anyone seen it in store there (or costco)?
post #578 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:

Yeah but my wife won't.. Especially in the main living room, nice big bay window..

I would move everything down to the basement (will have to that anyways when we have kids.. 2-year timer is on..lol) but I would have to gut it and redo that room before, too much $$ for now..

I might add my own filter on that S screen tongue.gif

Well mine is actually a black/black-out roller shade. So I can have it rolled up when I want light and it's out of the way, and when I want to block some light I just roll them down and presto.

I also have vertical blinds over the roller shade. smile.gif

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #579 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
S60 seems like a tremendous bargain. Looking forward to the CNET review and to D-Nice's results!

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #580 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well mine is actually a black/black-out roller shade. So I can have it rolled up when I want light and it's out of the way, and when I want to block some light I just roll them down and presto.

Nice I love it, thx man great option !

post #581 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Ha! I do the same. Redundancy=dark room. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

S60 seems like a tremendous bargain. Looking forward to the CNET review and to D-Nice's results!
Ditto. Looking forward to D-Nice's more, though. Yes, I'm a little biased. rolleyes.gif
post #582 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 10
You are correct with twice the price, however twice the price is for the 3D and Smart features and the famous LG panel. Panasonic Plasmas have the reputation (at least mid-high level lines) of stunning picture quality and the Panasonic Plasmas have been expensive, until this model year 2013. In the near past, 55" Panasonic Plasmas have been going for $2000-$2500. This LG LED 240hz with 3D and total Smart features was a great buy at $1499. Now I buy a 50s60 and the picture quality stinks. Now, I admit, it might have just been my TV, but a bad picture is not good at any price. So, I have decided to go with the ST60 instead. Sure, I will pay a little more (250.00 more), but with all the positive reviews now out about the ST60 as C/net's highest rated TV EVER I hope I can enjoy a Plasma for all it's superiour glory!! I guess since I have always been a huge fan of Plasmas, but could never afford one I was really excited for this S60. Only time will tell for my purchase of the ST60.
post #583 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by final4illini View Post

You are correct with twice the price, however twice the price is for the 3D and Smart features and the famous LG panel. Panasonic Plasmas have the reputation (at least mid-high level lines) of stunning picture quality and the Panasonic Plasmas have been expensive, until this model year 2013. In the near past, 55" Panasonic Plasmas have been going for $2000-$2500. This LG LED 240hz with 3D and total Smart features was a great buy at $1499. Now I buy a 50s60 and the picture quality stinks. Now, I admit, it might have just been my TV, but a bad picture is not good at any price. So, I have decided to go with the ST60 instead. Sure, I will pay a little more (250.00 more), but with all the positive reviews now out about the ST60 as C/net's highest rated TV EVER I hope I can enjoy a Plasma for all it's superiour glory!! I guess since I have always been a huge fan of Plasmas, but could never afford one I was really excited for this S60. Only time will tell for my purchase of the ST60.

Honestly, you may just like the look of an LCD more than a plasma. Did you compare them using a few different blu ray movies?

Panasonic has had a wide range of models for the last few years now, from inexpensive to the high end ones. So the low-mid range S60 is not anything new for them.

Let us know how the ST60 compares for you.
post #584 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

If your TV is in the basement mancave, the necessity for an AR filter diminishes greatly. That is, unless you have a lot of lights you like to keep on. smile.gif

Luckily...Im not missing out on the panasonic discount (so far) or having to pay for a sams club membership......so it comes down to paying an extra $50 on shipping for the S64. I dont mind paying the extra $50. You never know where this tv will sit in a few years from now. But if the AR filter takes away from the picture quality or makes it appear darker then i then i might want the S60.

I've seen the ST60 in person at my local BB and it looked dim... but then again it was surrounded by LED tv's and was mounted about 12 feet high, so l couldn't get a normal view or look rolleyes.gif

gt: EverydayBADGUY
post #585 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I just purchased a 65S60, should get it in a couple of weeks. Over the past 7 years, I've had 3 LCDs, so this plasma will be a change for me.

I only have one concern at this point, and that's no anti glare filter on the S60. The ST is $700 more, which is over budget and the wife would kill me, but she would also probably kill me too if she can't watch her shows because its a 65" mirror.. (She's used to the 60" sharp LED we had).

I've attached a pic, so that you can see the bay window and where the tv will be on the wall (you can see the bracket up on the left wall). Not taking into consideration the ST better panel, processing, menu options, 3D, smart TV etc.. should I dish out 700 more only for that anti glare filter, or will I be ok with the S and those blinds on the bay window??

Thx!

[/quote

I hate to give you bad news, but if you're used to 3 led tvs then I have to say the glare will probably bother you during the day unless you close the blinds in your room. I also see you have nice recessed lighting and those lights may pose some unwanted glare. Think of it as a 65 inch crt tv. I will post some pics during the day so maybe you can get an idea of the glare. My advice would be to get the s64 or the st60.

Panasonic Plasma Fan TC-P65ZT60 TC-P65S1 TC-P65S60 TC-60PU54-2 TC-P50U50-2 2 pioneer elite Vsx 42's XBOX 360 PS3 Verizon Fios QIP 7232 2
post #586 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 10
I just ordered my 50 inch s60 from best buy today @ 699.99 and they are shipping it tomorrow. My main concern is the reflective screen, but it is going in my bedroom so hopefully it won't be too bad. I will post my review in a couple days.
post #587 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86davis View Post

I just ordered my 50 inch s60 from best buy today @ 699.99 and they are shipping it tomorrow. My main concern is the reflective screen, but it is going in my bedroom so hopefully it won't be too bad. I will post my review in a couple days.

I just posted some pics of daytime glare from the s60 and u54. Let me know what you think.

Panasonic Plasma Fan TC-P65ZT60 TC-P65S1 TC-P65S60 TC-60PU54-2 TC-P50U50-2 2 pioneer elite Vsx 42's XBOX 360 PS3 Verizon Fios QIP 7232 2
post #588 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
do it over, and this time turn your flash off lol
post #589 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAELSU View Post

Well...with the flash, at least it's giving a worst-case scenario for glare.
post #590 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAELSU View Post

oops. Flash off. thoughts?
El Matadurr likes this.

post #591 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:

oops. Flash off. thoughts?
Geeze, that's not bad at all. Can see some obvious reflections in the credits sequence, but I was expecting a lot worse especially for the room to be lit up by the sun like that (the blinds' pattern would be a dead giveaway). Thanks for sharing.
post #592 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Geeze, that's not bad at all. Can see some obvious reflections in the credits sequence, but I was expecting a lot worse especially for the room to be lit up by the sun like that (the blinds' pattern would be a dead giveaway). Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, yeah it really all depends what is on screen. Nothing closing the blind won't fix.

post #593 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:08 PM

Definitely looking forward to this whole 1080p direct deal, especially since activating it doesn't add any more lag (whereas it makes games unplayable on the ST60). I actually didn't know the 360 had that option for the increased RGB range. Should look amazing (if I can find it, that is). smile.gif[/quote]

Go to system settings, console settings, display, reference levels change to expanded, Hdmi colorspace change to rgb. If you don't do that everything will look completely washed out with brightness.
El Matadurr likes this.

post #594 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Go to system settings, console settings, display, reference levels change to expanded, Hdmi colorspace change to rgb. If you don't do that everything will look completely washed out with brightness.
Will do, Mike. ^.^ Bye-bye ST60.
Now a question of criticism. Not including the glare, what are 3 things you wish you could change about the S60?
post #595 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Can someone elaborate on this 1080p direct thing? Don't remember this on my 60ST30 I had... and now I'm in between TV's... but I do have a PS3, and will probably pick up either or both the new Xbox/PlayStation consoles later this year. Is this 1080p direct a setting I should care about?
post #596 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

Can someone elaborate on this 1080p direct thing? Don't remember this on my 60ST30 I had... and now I'm in between TV's... but I do have a PS3, and will probably pick up either or both the new Xbox/PlayStation consoles later this year. Is this 1080p direct a setting I should care about?

1080p pixel direct enables the support of a 4:4:4 digital video format signal.

post #597 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Will do, Mike. ^.^ Bye-bye ST60.
Now a question of criticism. Not including the glare, what are 3 things you wish you could change about the S60?

Tough question it is an awesome tv. I guess I would eliminate the heat it puts out, it kind of makes the room warm after awhile. Eliminate the ABL, and ??? I guess it could be a little brighter. I've noticed that the older models put out much more wattage. my s1 is rated at 700w and the s60 is rated 300w. I'm assuming more wattage brighter pic.

post #598 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM

I forgot to say I would make the black levels darker. It has good black levels but they could be alot darker. I guess they saved that for vt and zt models.

post #599 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I forgot to say I would make the black levels darker. It has good black levels but they could be alot darker. I guess they saved that for vt and zt models.
Cool. The other things are pretty inherent in the tech. Wish there was more info on just how dark the S60 can get. As long as it's darker than an ST30, I'm pretty happy. Thanks Mike.
post #600 of 7068 Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Cool. The other things are pretty inherent in the tech. Wish there was more info on just how dark the S60 can get. As long as it's darker than an ST30, I'm pretty happy. Thanks Mike.

This is our new review format for the time. We try to list all of the relevant information to our claims on the Science page, but occasionally we may leave out some information that a particular reader is curious about. As time goes on and we get valuable feedback (like yours), we can tailor the reviews to better provide all of the information desired.

Anyway, down to brass tacks. Uniformity is terrific on the S60, its white levels are high enough to avoid that dirty look during panning. Naturally, a full black screen is flawless. Really a quality panel, even for an entry-level.

Its white falloff is still marred by the fact that it's a plasma though. At 20% APL you can expect about 90 cd/m2, but that drops to around 25 cd/m2 at 100%, a pretty noticeable loss in luminance. Black levels were consistently dark, though, hovering around 0.01-0.015 cd/m2.

Hope that clears things up, feel free to reply or even e-mail us if you want more details about the S60, and thanks for commenting.

-Lee

I found this on the black levels.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page