Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 205 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6121 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 AM
Newbie
 
MrSniper1401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all, I just recently purchased the S60 and I am having an issue with it regarding 2d animated material, namely anime. Whether it be on blu-ray or dvd there seems to be this problem with anything 2D animated where characters are almost transparent  and things like the outlines of stairs will show on the characters as pixelated outlines. Has anyone besides me had this issue and does anyone know of a way to fix it?

MrSniper1401 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6122 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 05:26 AM
Member
 
MilkManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just watched the new Akira Blu Ray and did not see any of that. Did you set it to cinema mode? Turn off cats? Try some of the recommended settings in this thread. And report back. I am using an lg br player set to default color mode(not rgb) using hdmi.
MilkManX is offline  
post #6123 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniper1401 View Post

Hi all, I just recently purchased the S60 and I am having an issue with it regarding 2d animated material, namely anime. Whether it be on blu-ray or dvd there seems to be this problem with anything 2D animated where characters are almost transparent  and things like the outlines of stairs will show on the characters as pixelated outlines. Has anyone besides me had this issue and does anyone know of a way to fix it?

Are you in Cinema or Custom mode and do you have sharpness set to zero?
RWetmore is online now  
post #6124 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
karlheinzxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi smile.gif

I currently own a P50ST30 plasma TV and I'm wondering if I should buy a VT60. I'm actually fine with mine regarding general picture quality or black levels, etc., there's just a few things bugging me, for example, I recently noticed some image retention, esp. from brighter menus or text, after only a few seconds, lasting for up to a few minutes. Also, there's the buzzing sound, increasing with the brightness of the picture. Are these things improved on the 60 series, or not? Especially with regards to the fan problem, that now seems to be (somewhat?!) improved with the factory-installed foam solution. In general, would you say that image retention has improved a lot (i.e., warranting a new TV)? I wouldn't want to pay 1500€ for a new TV, only to find them the same. Otherwise, I guess I would be waiting for an affordable OLED TV or other new technology, whenever (or whatever) that may be. biggrin.gif

Best regards
karlheinzxyz is offline  
post #6125 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlheinzxyz View Post

Hi smile.gif

In general, would you say that image retention has improved a lot (i.e., warranting a new TV)?

No. If anything it's gotten worse with these newer panels (i.e. 2012 and 2013 models).
RWetmore is online now  
post #6126 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Newbie
 
karlheinzxyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad you mention this, that's one point in favor of waiting for OLED. biggrin.gif Btw, I forgot to mention a slight dirty screen effect, only noticeable on a black screen as a slightly lighter area and on a dark grey screen as a slightly green area. However, screen uniformity and DSE appears to be no issue with the 60 generation, as far as I've read reviews?
karlheinzxyz is offline  
post #6127 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
MrSniper1401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Custom mode and yes I have it set to zero

MrSniper1401 is offline  
post #6128 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSniper1401 View Post

Custom mode and yes I have it set to zero

Hmmmmm. What Blu-ray player do you have and what are its settings?
RWetmore is online now  
post #6129 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlheinzxyz View Post

Hi smile.gif
In general, would you say that image retention has improved a lot (i.e., warranting a new TV)? I wouldn't want to pay 1500€ for a new TV, only to find them the same. Otherwise, I guess I would be waiting for an affordable OLED TV or other new technology, whenever (or whatever) that may be. biggrin.gif

Best regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

No. If anything it's gotten worse with these newer panels (i.e. 2012 and 2013 models).


I believe it depends on the model. 3D TV's seem to more prone to IR then non 3D TV's. My S60 is less sensitive to IR then my 2010 Panasonic C2. If you take certain precautions like watching full screen content, or using the screen wash after displaying bright static images and letter boxing, it shouldn't be an issue.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #6130 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
Riot10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys,

 

I recently bought a panasonic s64 and broke it in for the first 100 hours without slides, just with normal viewing of tv and gaming, with a movie or two as well.

I had the screen setting on zoom to eliminate black bars for the first 100 hours

 

i Just put in Cnet's settings for cinema, and then adjusted the screen settings -- Full, H size 1

 

I now have an issue, of some channels having a yellow/green vertical line down the right edge of the screen

And whenever i change the channel, across the top of the screen i get a horizontal line that blinks just at the moment i change the channel

 

Has anyone experienced this, or no how i can get around to fixing this?

Riot10 is offline  
post #6131 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Newbie
 
MrSniper1401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post


Hmmmmm. What Blu-ray player do you have and what are its settings?


I've used both my PS3 and PS4 both have the same effect. Both settings have RGB and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr set to full with the TV range set to nonstandard.

MrSniper1401 is offline  
post #6132 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Newbie
 
Riot10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot10 View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

I recently bought a panasonic s64 and broke it in for the first 100 hours without slides, just with normal viewing of tv and gaming, with a movie or two as well.

I had the screen setting on zoom to eliminate black bars for the first 100 hours

 

i Just put in Cnet's settings for cinema, and then adjusted the screen settings -- Full, H size 1

 

I now have an issue, of some channels having a yellow/green vertical line down the right edge of the screen

And whenever i change the channel, across the top of the screen i get a horizontal line that blinks just at the moment i change the channel

 

Has anyone experienced this, or no how i can get around to fixing this?


Just an update

Playing games on my 360, there are no lines and everythings perfect

Same with Blu Ray

 

Im only getting it on the Full setting

 

The work around that fixes it is when I put Overscan to ON so thats good

 

Is this a defective tv, or is this normal?

Riot10 is offline  
post #6133 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Member
 
silverwidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sounds like it's just the channel source.
silverwidow is offline  
post #6134 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot10 View Post


Just an update
Playing games on my 360, there are no lines and everythings perfect
Same with Blu Ray

Im only getting it on the Full setting

The work around that fixes it is when I put Overscan to ON so thats good

Is this a defective tv, or is this normal?

What you are experiencing are broadcast scanning issues and is perfectly normal. http://www.engadget.com/topics/hd/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #6135 of 7127 Old 01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Spent Hours tinkering with the S60's Pro controls, adjusting the color & W/B to give it a similar look to my 27" Sony wega CRT. And it looks like i have pretty much succeeded. Sure, the S60 doesn't exactly deliver 'white' whites in Warm2 like my CRT does but that's ok. Right now, i'm just a little stumped on something. Aside from my CRT being brighter which is something i need to get over, the picture on my CRT seems to have more sculpt to it....It's odd, because my S60's black levels going by the black bars and the picture in general appear a little darker, but etches in grooves in clothing(like in the movie coraline for ex) are almost black/darker, along with shadows and etching/grooves around certain objects(like rocks ect ect) appear to have more pop and sculpt on my CRT, where as on the S60 a lot of the time it looks flat, the shading and what have you is lighter. It doesn't look right. I can't get this look on my S60(not using the AGC or BE right now) without dropping the brightness down to almost the 20's, but then the entire picture looks too dark. Here are my brightness/contrast settings on my 60" S60

Custom

Contrast: 95
Brightness: -4
Gamma: 2.4
Blacks: Light
Cats: ALL OFF

Does this have something to do with grey scale, or is the S60's picture at the core(forget resolution & Progressivescan ect) not in league?


edit: Well, seems like setting the gamma to 2.6 did the trick....Somebody mentioned that the 2.4 on this set is really closer to 2.2 and 2.6 is closer to 2.4. I guess you could say my Sony wega CRT is locked in at around 2.4.
Too bad the S60 can't get any brighter. Ah well, as long as i just watch Blurays on this set i'll be o-k. DVD's look terribly dim, absolutely lifeless. Thank god blurays boast much higher contrast/brightness Vs a DVD. tongue.gif
WaveBoy is offline  
post #6136 of 7127 Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Spent Hours tinkering with the S60's Pro controls, adjusting the color & W/B to give it a similar look to my 27" Sony wega CRT. And it looks like i have pretty much succeeded. Sure, the S60 doesn't exactly deliver 'white' whites in Warm2 like my CRT does but that's ok. Right now, i'm just a little stumped on something. Aside from my CRT being brighter which is something i need to get over, the picture on my CRT seems to have more sculpt to it....It's odd, because my S60's black levels going by the black bars and the picture in general appear a little darker, but etches in grooves in clothing(like in the movie coraline for ex) are almost black/darker, along with shadows and etching/grooves around certain objects(like rocks ect ect) appear to have more pop and sculpt on my CRT, where as on the S60 a lot of the time it looks flat, the shading and what have you is lighter. It doesn't look right. I can't get this look on my S60(not using the AGC or BE right now) without dropping the brightness down to almost the 20's, but then the entire picture looks too dark. Here are my brightness/contrast settings on my 60" S60

Custom

Contrast: 95
Brightness: -4
Gamma: 2.4
Blacks: Light
Cats: ALL OFF

Does this have something to do with grey scale, or is the S60's picture at the core(forget resolution & Progressivescan ect) not in league?


edit: Well, seems like setting the gamma to 2.6 did the trick....Somebody mentioned that the 2.4 on this set is really closer to 2.2 and 2.6 is closer to 2.4. I guess you could say my Sony wega CRT is locked in at around 2.4.
Too bad the S60 can't get any brighter. Ah well, as long as i just watch Blurays on this set i'll be o-k. DVD's look terribly dim, absolutely lifeless. Thank god blurays boast much higher contrast/brightness Vs a DVD. tongue.gif

How many times are you going to repeat yourself? You keep hammering away on the S60 not being as bright as your CRT. It's too dim. I adjusted this. I adjusted that. You are either going to have to live with it or return it and get an LCD. I know. I know. You don't like the LCD lag. Well, there are LCD's out there that have less lag than any plasma, like the Sony models. Yes, you may pay more, but if brightness is what you want, you and everyone else on these forums knows, that is what you should buy. It is getting really old seeing you complain over and over about the same thing as if it is going to change anything. The S60 has its limitations, as will any TV. Period. If you love your CRT that much, just watch it and enjoy it. Or just use it for gaming or whatever and watch the S60 at night when watching movie or prime time TV. Just please stop complaining that the S60 can't display the same as the CRT.

If you're looking for advice on brightening your picture, you can switch to a different preset (personally, I think Home Theater is decent) or customize one, crank up the contrast, set the picture to Warm1 (which is what I use) or a cooler setting to make it more blue, hence, enhancing the whites. Even turn up the brightness some, but you'll get dithering in the dark areas. You've asked numerous times and you're going to have to find settings that work for you, return it for an LCD, or get some room-darkening window treatments. I would suggest some cell shades and some heavy curtains in your case. I am not meaning to be a jerk here, but at some point you have to deal with it or move on. The TV isn't going to get any brighter due to ABL and you're going to lose accuracy in the picture, which, if it looks good to you, do it. But otherwise, darken your room for enjoying the TV. I have two standard windows and a patio door opposite my TV and I am using Cinema all the time. I have on occasion used Home Theater in the daytime, but unless the content is very dark (think Law & Order), it's fine for daytime viewing.
mwl001 and foghorn2 like this.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #6137 of 7127 Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Newbie
 
Riot10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post


What you are experiencing are broadcast scanning issues and is perfectly normal. http://www.engadget.com/topics/hd/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/


Ian


Thanks for that. Sigh of relief

Riot10 is offline  
post #6138 of 7127 Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Newbie
 
killadv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Long time lurker (years) first time poster, here.

 

I just pulled the trigger on a floor-model P50S60 a little over a week ago, from Sears and ended up paying just a little under $700 after taxes and the recycling fee. I opted-out of getting any warranty because I didn't feel like dealing with Sears and although the tv has a lot of hours (over 3,000) it doesn't look like anyone fudged with any of the settings - it was on cinema.

 

The only reason I picked it up from Sears (and used) was because it was almost impossible to find it anywhere else. I tried talking to a customer service agent about lowering the price but they wouldn't take into consideration the amount of hours put on the tv - and I was also told that the manufactures warranty would still be valid, although the guy who helped me out at the actual Sears store suggested otherwise. 

killadv is offline  
post #6139 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70

I wouldn't worry... 3,000 hours is nothing in terms of the life of the tv.. as long as the panel is free from IR, i wouldn't sweat it. 

 

As for the mfgr warranty... you bought it from a retailer, as the first consumer owner.. that is considered a new purchase in the eyes of any manufacturer.. unless there was something the matter with it or it was some special arrangement where it was sold with expressly no warranty.. just register it with Panasonic and go on.

 

$700 after tax seems a fair price.  These sets are incredibly hard to find.. I got one from ABC warehouse, who told me that chain wide there were only 300 available, after which that would be the end of that... best to just get one while we can and be happy with that.. i KINDA wish i could have afforded the ST60 for the better picture quality, but I dont think i'll miss it seeing how I'm coming from a 27" Sony tube SDtv.  Although teh S64 might have been nice to get the infinite black panel and Anti-glare filter... maybe.. even still, in a dark room, on the right settings, the S60 looks absolutely stunning. 

 

congrats on the purchase. 


Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
post #6140 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Member
 
xx2000xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let me ask a stupid question. Reading the adventure that PlasmaPZ80U had, and then somebody saying to register your television, it got me thinking. I've had probably 500 registration cards from electronics parts but never bothered to do it by going on their site or mail it in. I take it without registering the TV my 1 year warranty stands, but what are the benefits of I did register it? If there are some, is there a time frame of when you do need to register it? I bought my TV from BB, w/o extended, about 4 months ago.

I'm in the middle of checking out the CES coverage right now but didn't see anything from Samsung or LG about plasmas so far as they are pimping out their OLED and 4k stuff. It's a shame that it looks like Panasonic and Sony are probably going to not do OLED as they broke their joint adventure together but some articles say they "may" still continue to do R&D on their own. That could mean two things. They will just stick to the 4k LCD which both are going to do as that will be the new "trend" and it will be cheaper to produce. Or they broke the agreement off because one of the engineers on either side said let's cut it because we think we have enough knowledge now and we think we have a better way of producing OLED for our company. If both continue to do OLED on their own and then bust them out in 2-3 years of course it's going to be a blood bath of getting the most sales. I'm not an expert and didn't do enough research on that matter but I'm thinking both are just going to drop OLED altogether and go the cheaper route with LCD.


Director Michael Bay has a meltdown at CES smile.gif But look at that bad ass 105 inch.
xx2000xx is offline  
post #6141 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Member
 
mwl001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

Let me ask a stupid question. Reading the adventure that PlasmaPZ80U had, and then somebody saying to register your television, it got me thinking. I've had probably 500 registration cards from electronics parts but never bothered to do it by going on their site or mail it in. I take it without registering the TV my 1 year warranty stands, but what are the benefits of I did register it? If there are some, is there a time frame of when you do need to register it? I bought my TV from BB, w/o extended, about 4 months ago.

I'm in the middle of checking out the CES coverage right now but didn't see anything from Samsung or LG about plasmas so far as they are pimping out their OLED and 4k stuff. It's a shame that it looks like Panasonic and Sony are probably going to not do OLED as they broke their joint adventure together but some articles say they "may" still continue to do R&D on their own. That could mean two things. They will just stick to the 4k LCD which both are going to do as that will be the new "trend" and it will be cheaper to produce. Or they broke the agreement off because one of the engineers on either side said let's cut it because we think we have enough knowledge now and we think we have a better way of producing OLED for our company. If both continue to do OLED on their own and then bust them out in 2-3 years of course it's going to be a blood bath of getting the most sales. I'm not an expert and didn't do enough research on that matter but I'm thinking both are just going to drop OLED altogether and go the cheaper route with LCD.


Director Michael Bay has a meltdown at CES smile.gif But look at that bad ass 105 inch.

I don't think you gain anything by sending the card in. As you mentioned, you're protected by the law, warranty is in effect regardless. Just a sneaky way for them to learn about who buys their TVs, maybe get you onto their email lists. That's all.
mwl001 is offline  
post #6142 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70

They say that it helps you get warranty service faster should you need it.. probably only in so much that they already have your contact information.


Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
post #6143 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Member
 
CSP2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't followed this thread in a while so this may have come up, but I thought I'd better share something I came across.

When I started using this TV I found almost immediately that content on my PS3 had a washed out, grey look compared to the built-in Viera apps. The culprit turned out to be the PS3's "RGB Full/Limited" setting. There's a lot of debate online about whether to use this setting (on some displays, including my old Samsung LCD, turning it on caused severe black crush), but I find the "Full" setting is essential on the S60.

More recently, after not running content from my PC in a while, I started up a PC game on the TV and suddenly realized it was having the same problem. It turns out that NVIDIA graphics cards have a known issue with full range RGB specifically over HDMI. It's a little trickier than on the PS3 to set properly, but it can be done. I did it with the application linked in this AVS thread: Setting Nvidia to full range RGB (the setting can be changed more easily on AMD cards).

The improvement was instantaneous. Blacks are black instead of grey and there is more shadow detail, not less. I recommend this for anyone who connects a game console or PC to their S60.

This stuff might be obvious to a lot of veteran AVS folks, but I thought I'd put it out there for those of us with less experience.
CSP2 is offline  
post #6144 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Member
 
MilkManX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadv View Post

Long time lurker (years) first time poster, here.

I just pulled the trigger on a floor-model P50S60 a little over a week ago, from Sears and ended up paying just a little under $700 after taxes and the recycling fee. I opted-out of getting any warranty because I didn't feel like dealing with Sears and although the tv has a lot of hours (over 3,000) it doesn't look like anyone fudged with any of the settings - it was on cinema.

The only reason I picked it up from Sears (and used) was because it was almost impossible to find it anywhere else. I tried talking to a customer service agent about lowering the price but they wouldn't take into consideration the amount of hours put on the tv - and I was also told that the manufactures warranty would still be valid, although the guy who helped me out at the actual Sears store suggested otherwise. 

I got a floor model p50s60 from BestBuy. They knocked 15% off and I registered the set with Panasonic for their one year plus I did the Square Trade extended Warranty(my older 42" Panny Plasma died right in year 2...) so that I am covered if this one croaks early.

So far no issues and the best part was that it was up high on display playing full screen content for days on end so the panel was already aged for me.
MilkManX is offline  
post #6145 of 7127 Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Member
 
turnbowm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl001 View Post

I don't think you gain anything by sending the card in. As you mentioned, you're protected by the law, warranty is in effect regardless. Just a sneaky way for them to learn about who buys their TVs, maybe get you onto their email lists. That's all.

One good reason for sending the card in or registering online is to make sure that you'll be notified if there is a recall.
mwl001 likes this.
turnbowm is offline  
post #6146 of 7127 Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP2 View Post

I haven't followed this thread in a while so this may have come up, but I thought I'd better share something I came across.

When I started using this TV I found almost immediately that content on my PS3 had a washed out, grey look compared to the built-in Viera apps. The culprit turned out to be the PS3's "RGB Full/Limited" setting. There's a lot of debate online about whether to use this setting (on some displays, including my old Samsung LCD, turning it on caused severe black crush), but I find the "Full" setting is essential on the S60.

More recently, after not running content from my PC in a while, I started up a PC game on the TV and suddenly realized it was having the same problem. It turns out that NVIDIA graphics cards have a known issue with full range RGB specifically over HDMI. It's a little trickier than on the PS3 to set properly, but it can be done. I did it with the application linked in this AVS thread: Setting Nvidia to full range RGB (the setting can be changed more easily on AMD cards).

The improvement was instantaneous. Blacks are black instead of grey and there is more shadow detail, not less. I recommend this for anyone who connects a game console or PC to their S60.

This stuff might be obvious to a lot of veteran AVS folks, but I thought I'd put it out there for those of us with less experience.

These issues can always be quickly adjusted for on the TV by playing with the brightness range setting (for the life of me I can't remember the name of the setting) setting it non-standard from standard or vise versa if its already on non-standard.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #6147 of 7127 Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
an HDTV world without Plasma is one Smeary world i don't want to live in. 2014 is going to be the year of 'DrunkOvision' motion handeling.
hopefully I'm wrong, but it seems like LCD's and LED's never improve with motion anymore unless it's some gimmicky(in a bad way) feature that completely destroys the PQ. if panasonic can somehow release an led with S60-like black levels and S60-like Motion(i know it's not the best plasma can do but it's still a lot better than LCD/LED) with 35ms of lag or less than I'm on board for a 60 incher. wink.gif my s60 is pretttty great, but like i've said numerous times i would love to have a big boost in brightness, especially for gaming.
WaveBoy is offline  
post #6148 of 7127 Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Member
 
jasondjulian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70

I'm good with the brightness.... i have a 53x64" window on the side of the living room, front wall where the tv is has a standard size window to the left of the tv.. no drapes or blinds yet cuz i just moved... but even in daytime in the winter here, with all the light reflecting off the snow, the tv is PLENTY watchable.. at night, its fantastic.. yes if you focus on it, you can sometimes see reflections of the couch (blue and white stripes, so it stands out) and maybe the lamp... but really, shut the light off and its wonderful.

 

The thing I wish I had was the "2500hz sub-field drive" because I enjoy a LITTLE of the SOE... and it would be nice to have more gradations since I see a lot of banding on that Spring commercial with James Earl Jones and Roddy McDowell, with the black stage and single light overhead.. but gladly its only a commercial.  I suppose having the infinite black pro panel would be nice.. but it aint a deal breaker. 

 

overall, a 55" tv for $879 delivered to my living room was a heck of a deal.. and PQ is Premium, even if there are 4 models higher than this one. 

 

I'm still torn between picture settings tho, ive used D-Nice's settings, FairChild99's, and C-Net's settings... don't know which I prefer... C-Net settings seem too dim, i mean REALLY dim, dimmer than "standard" at factory settings.  D-Nice's settings look good but I'd like the colors to pop a bit more.  I know that copying settings is really at best just a starting point for a REAL calibration, but I think some of these options, or a combination of them can and will look good. 


Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
jasondjulian is offline  
post #6149 of 7127 Old 01-08-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WaveBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

I'm good with the brightness.... i have a 53x64" window on the side of the living room, front wall where the tv is has a standard size window to the left of the tv.. no drapes or blinds yet cuz i just moved... but even in daytime in the winter here, with all the light reflecting off the snow, the tv is PLENTY watchable.. at night, its fantastic.. yes if you focus on it, you can sometimes see reflections of the couch (blue and white stripes, so it stands out) and maybe the lamp... but really, shut the light off and its wonderful.

The thing I wish I had was the "2500hz sub-field drive" because I enjoy a LITTLE of the SOE... and it would be nice to have more gradations since I see a lot of banding on that Spring commercial with James Earl Jones and Roddy McDowell, with the black stage and single light overhead.. but gladly its only a commercial.  I suppose having the infinite black pro panel would be nice.. but it aint a deal breaker. 

overall, a 55" tv for $879 delivered to my living room was a heck of a deal.. and PQ is Premium, even if there are 4 models higher than this one. 

I'm still torn between picture settings tho, ive used D-Nice's settings, FairChild99's, and C-Net's settings... don't know which I prefer... C-Net settings seem too dim, i mean REALLY dim, dimmer than "standard" at factory settings.  D-Nice's settings look good but I'd like the colors to pop a bit more.  I know that copying settings is really at best just a starting point for a REAL calibration, but I think some of these options, or a combination of them can and will look good. 

Brightness wise, i've settled for this when watching Bluray content in a pitch black room

Custom

Contrast: 95 (nothing seems to happen over that)
Brightness; -3
Gamma: 2.6 (On the 60" 2.4 is closer to 2.2 and 2.6 is closer to 2.4)
Blacks: Light

I prefer a contrasty picture with pop. You wont get that with dvd's period on this set, But you can with Blurays! at least some of the time IF the transfer is brighter than the norm. 'the Incredible Melting man' looks stunning on my set. then i watch movies like 'mama' which are on the dim side compared to what i'm used to. it isn't a deal breaker and i have no desire to get rid of my S60 unless there's an LED next year that can match it's blacks & motion....doubt that will happen in terms of motion. :P
WaveBoy is offline  
post #6150 of 7127 Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

I'm good with the brightness.... i have a 53x64" window on the side of the living room, front wall where the tv is has a standard size window to the left of the tv.. no drapes or blinds yet cuz i just moved... but even in daytime in the winter here, with all the light reflecting off the snow, the tv is PLENTY watchable.. at night, its fantastic.. yes if you focus on it, you can sometimes see reflections of the couch (blue and white stripes, so it stands out) and maybe the lamp... but really, shut the light off and its wonderful.

The thing I wish I had was the "2500hz sub-field drive" because I enjoy a LITTLE of the SOE... and it would be nice to have more gradations since I see a lot of banding on that Spring commercial with James Earl Jones and Roddy McDowell, with the black stage and single light overhead.. but gladly its only a commercial.  I suppose having the infinite black pro panel would be nice.. but it aint a deal breaker. 

overall, a 55" tv for $879 delivered to my living room was a heck of a deal.. and PQ is Premium, even if there are 4 models higher than this one. 

I'm still torn between picture settings tho, ive used D-Nice's settings, FairChild99's, and C-Net's settings... don't know which I prefer... C-Net settings seem too dim, i mean REALLY dim, dimmer than "standard" at factory settings.  D-Nice's settings look good but I'd like the colors to pop a bit more.  I know that copying settings is really at best just a starting point for a REAL calibration, but I think some of these options, or a combination of them can and will look good. 

I used CNET's settings, but I switched from Warm 2 to Warm 1. I haven't seen much color banding, even with broadcast content and even streaming Netflix Super HD. ( haven't noticed it on that commercial you spoke of on my DTV DVR either). The only anomaly, that I see regularly is dithering. I was going to do some tweaks using my calibration disc after break-in, but surprisingly, at this point, it doesn't seem necessary.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off