Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #6211 of 7467 Old 01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreflor View Post

I read thru the complaints about the S60's popping noise, and it sounded familiar. Look at my entry from 2008 concerning the PX80u:

"I've had my PX80u for 2 weeks. I heard a popping sound whenever I turned the station which I thought was due to my hd cable box -scientific atlanta, Comcast. I had a Panasonic technician come over and he seemed to fix it. However it's back again in full force.

The customer service person said that they had heard about this in their training program.

It's irritating to say the least."

I had forgotten that. My S60 hasn't popped yet, so we'll see. I'm past the return date at Best Buy. Just in case, I'm keeping my 2008 plasma - no popping, anti-reflective screen, broken in, (but screen door). I'm also keeping the S60 box, plastic wraps etc. so that I can resell it.

Regarding the argument of anti-reflective screen degrading PQ, I placed my S60 next to my PX80u. For me, the S60 is somewhat brighter but there are other factors involved (e.g., calibration) that should be considered.

Some popping noises are fairly common and due to heat expansion. As the set ages and the components settle, they usually diminish.

Now that my set is fully broken in, I bumped the panel brightness to mid from low. The only significant change was less posterization when viewing highly compressed broadcast content. Has anyone else notice this? I can only assume it has an effect on the gray scale.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 7467 Old 01-16-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Now that my set is fully broken in, I bumped the panel brightness to mid from low. The only significant change was less posterization when viewing highly compressed broadcast content. Has anyone else notice this? I can only assume it has an effect on the gray scale.

Ian

I only noticed posterization on nighttime scenes with artificial (soap opera) lighting, both on NBC via cable, which has been criticized by our local community for their terrible motion blur pixellation of Broncos football games, which I assume is the result of heavy compression. The posterization I observed was with the nationally televised Miss USA pageant and a couple instances of pre-dawn outside weather anchors.

Does lowering the brightness simply make the picture too dim to see posterization if the picture is even bright enough to see at all? I would think high contrast rather than brightness causes posterization.
post #6213 of 7467 Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I only noticed posterization on nighttime scenes with artificial (soap opera) lighting, both on NBC via cable, which has been criticized by our local community for their terrible motion blur pixellation of Broncos football games, which I assume is the result of heavy compression. The posterization I observed was with the nationally televised Miss USA pageant and a couple instances of pre-dawn outside weather anchors.

Does lowering the brightness simply make the picture too dim to see posterization if the picture is even bright enough to see at all? I would think high contrast rather than brightness causes posterization.

I believe you may have misread my post, so let me clarify. The higher panel brightness setting reduces the posterization seen on flesh tones.

Ian

post #6214 of 7467 Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I believe you may have misread my post, so let me clarify. The higher panel brightness setting reduces the posterization seen on flesh tones.

Ian

Oh, I misread your post as bumping brightness from mid to low, not low to mid (I usually read and think from -> to, not the reverse). Since posterization occurs in dark scenes, this may help, however my panel is already set to mid, so I don't know what I else I could try to eliminate it.
post #6215 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I managed to get this tv last night at a BB. Can anyone tell me what calibration settings seem to be the consensus? At the beginning of this thread Fairchild posted settings. Those settings or something different? Ive read a lot of this thread but can't remember if I saw new settings.
Thank you.
post #6216 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 76

This is by no means a definitive listing, but try some of these and see which is to your liking. I also like the Home Theater mode settings offered by Moshock for watching some movies.. its a bit too colorful and "poppy" for regular tv.  You'd have to search for those, i dont have them with me at the moment.  I am constantly updating this file, so I'll post another version when I find more calibration settings. 

Other than that, I find on MY S60 that one variation of Fairchild99's settings look the best.  But your tv may be different. 

S60Calibrations.xlsx 12k .xlsx file

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx S60Calibrations.xlsx (11.7 KB, 102 views)
dRwOOD73 likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #6217 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 AM

Ok. Thank you very much. I will do that.
post #6218 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
Greatestalltime
How'd you get an S60 at Best Buy? When I got my 50S60 in December in Boca Raton, FL, I was told that was the last one in stock in the area for that size. That's great that you were able to get it.

I agree with JasonDJulian concerning Home Theater setting. Just watched a movie and went thru all the modes - for this movie, Home Theater was near perfect with minor tweaking. While the pix is darker than LED, the colors are very realistic - especially flesh tones. However, it is not the best for everyday.

I do not seem to be able to get the CUSTOM setting the way I want it. I spent a lot of time on my PX80u to get the settings just right, so I expect it'll take a little time. The picture got better with time, so I think "aging" actually improved my plasma. Maybe it's like a fine wine: a little age is good.

By the way, I'm sitting in my living room with 3 windows to my left, no blinds, and bright sun. The only problem that I see is my reflection in the panel when there's a dark screen AND I'm taking a picture of the set.

On the minus side, I'm having a difficult time setting up YouTube. I entered the authentication code as required but was not able to access it. I just gave up and went to my Blu-ray player, which gave me no trouble at all. I also have a cheap Roku, just in case.

Everything's a trade-off I guess. The Samsung 5300 that I got started turning itself off, and I wasn't happy with the picture (could have been the cheap panel). The Sony that I have (low-end) has a beautiful picture but is best seen straight on (good for bedroom). I find that I get eye strain if the picture is too bright - hence the Panasonic rather than the Samsung. Next purchase will be a 4000K that answers the phone, cooks and cleans!
post #6219 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That is a great file you posted, thanks for putting in the work - I currently have fairchilds 2200+ setting with minor tweeks.. love it, only issue I've had were my oranges during the Broncos game last week were a bit too much.. ordered the WOW disc for a tweeking/calibrating session tomorrow - I may try some of these as well.. thanks again

post #6220 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ok I have something bad to say about this TV.

Even though Blu-Ray looks fantastic, MY DVD's look like GARBAGE now... LOL.

Going from a 42" 720 plasma to a 50" 1080p Plasma does have a trade off.
On the 42 DVDs looked okay. Now they look pretty crappy.

I have MPEG and NR turned off. Would those help the DVD's look a bit better? Anyone mess around with that?
dRwOOD73 likes this.
post #6221 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the same experience with my 42" 720p (okay, but disappointed).. have yet to see what the DVD's look like on my 50" (although I have a rack full of them), I've been sticking to HD channels/ GoogleTV streaming & Blu Ray - kinda nervous after seeing your posting.. interested to see what folks here might have to say..

post #6222 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 AM

I haven't tried any DVDs upconverted on my set yet.. i've ran Blurays, and mk4 video files of "archived" movies from a flash drive.  Both look great, with blurays looking absolutely STUNNING.

thanks for the props on the spreadsheet.. I researched further and found a few more calibration settings I want to add to it, I'll keep updating and posting it as I progress.  I am hoping to be able to try each setting at various points and being able to compare and contrast them and put that in the NOTES section, so that everyone can get a quick glance idea of which persons settings look like what and how they differ from each other. 

For a guy like me, I dont understand the Low R/G/B, High R/B/G, saturation, luminance.. and I don't know how it makes a difference going up or down or how to look at one calibration setting and say "oh, that's going to have more colors, or that ones more this, or that" ... having a quick reference spreadsheet where you can choose the picture CHARACTERISTICS with normal words, then plug in the appropriate settings is something I put a lot of value on. 

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #6223 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Liked: 21
@jasondjulian: Just an FYI, the hours you listed for Fairchild's "Custom" calibration are incorrect. He did that one several months before his other 2200 versions.
post #6224 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM

Thats good to know!  It wasn't specified anywhere, so I figured it had to be close to the others.  If anyone knows the exact (or close) hours for that cal., please post it here and I'll add it to the next revision of the document.  

Also, if anyone else wants to post there settings and calibrations, please do so.  We can collectively combine our settings and information and create a community spreadsheet of S60/S64 settings for folks to try out and adjust from for the best picture.  Of course with the understanding that this is NOT calibrating your tv, but merely optimizing specific settings to assist in a better than factory picture. 

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #6225 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

I have MPEG and NR turned off. Would those help the DVD's look a bit better? Anyone mess around with that?

DVDs don't look noticeably worse than my one BD on my 65". I went from a 34" 1080i CRT to 65" 1080p plasma. Both MythTV HD and low-rez test videos look fantastic from my HTPC. SDTV does look crappy compared to HDTV, though. I have all NR and extraneous processing turned off.
post #6226 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 AM

Well I went from the Star Wars Episode IV Blu-Ray and then threw in Tropic Thunder on DVD and it was pretty noticible downgrade in the quality of the image presented. Distortion and pixilization. Both from the same LG BD530 player. DVD looked ok on my 42" Plasma 720p set.

What I am wondering is there any reason to turn on the MPEG and Noise Reduction? Would that help smooth out the DVD's a tad? I know I cannot expect a miracle but some smoothing would be helpful.. wink.gif
post #6227 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 11:27 AM

.. Tropic Thunder (great movie) looks wonderful on BD... that one may be a worthwhile replacement.  Not all of my DVDs are getting replaced with BD versions, I cant afford that!  But a few special ones will be, like my Back To The Future Trilogy... LOTR Trilogy .... etc.

I expect that Noise Reduction MIGHT help some... best anyone can say is try it out and see how you like it.  

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #6228 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless you have the player set to 720 or 480 native on your player, you should be having more issues with DVD's on a 720p TV due to double scaling. If the the player is set to auto or 1080p, it will up-convert a DVD from 480 to 1080. It's then down-converted to 768 by the TV. Setting my player to 480 or 720 for DVD's gave me the best PQ on my 720p PDP. I've yet to play DVD's on my S60, since these days I only watch BD's. You may want to set the player to 480 native for DVD's, which will allow the set to do the up-scaling rather then the player, which in some cases will produce better results on a 1080p TV.

Ian

post #6229 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Our Panasonic BD320 and Sony S5100 Blu-ray players both do a fine job of upscaling regular DVDs viewed via a Panasonic 65S60. (Our older Denon DVD-2930 player with its Reon processor upscales slightly better, but we often use the BD players to handle the upscaling duties.) Sometimes asking the players to add a small or medium amount of noise reduction helps smooth out the picture.

Many of our upscaled DVDs look as good as or better than some average or poorly mastered Blu-ray discs. Despite being picky about video quality and having a large library of Blu-ray movies, we find most DVDs very watchable and pleasing to our eyes.

Theater room: Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma television; Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 power amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer; Samsung BD-H5900 and Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray players; Denon DVD-2930; Audioquest and Blue Jeans cables.
post #6230 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post

Our Panasonic BD320 and Sony S5100 Blu-ray players both do a fine job of upscaling regular DVDs viewed via a Panasonic 65S60. (Our older Denon DVD-2930 player with its Reon processor upscales slightly better, but we often use the BD players to handle the upscaling duties.) Sometimes asking the players to add a small or medium amount of noise reduction helps smooth out the picture.

Many of our upscaled DVDs look as good as or better than some average or poorly mastered Blu-ray discs. Despite being picky about video quality and having a large library of Blu-ray movies, we find most DVDs very watchable and pleasing to our eyes.

My point is, you should try it both ways to see which device does the better job scaling.

Ian

post #6231 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Unless you have the player set to 720 or 480 native on your player, you should be having more issues with DVD's on a 720p TV due to double scaling. If the the player is set to auto or 1080p, it will up-convert a DVD from 480 to 1080. It's then down-converted to 768 by the TV. Setting my player to 480 or 720 for DVD's gave me the best PQ on my 720p PDP. I've yet to play DVD's on my S60, since these days I only watch BD's. You may want to set the player to 480 native for DVD's, which will allow the set to do the up-scaling rather then the player, which in some cases will produce better results on a 1080p TV.

Ian

That's why I think my DVDs don't look so bad (with only 1 BD to compare, it's mostly against 1080i HDTV which is mostly what I watch). I expect my player is line doubling DVDs to near 1080p.
post #6232 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

My point is, you should try it both ways to see which device does the better job scaling.

Ian

I was not disputing what you said, only relating my own experience. I agree, one should explore all options.
MilkManX likes this.

Theater room: Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma television; Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 power amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer; Samsung BD-H5900 and Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray players; Denon DVD-2930; Audioquest and Blue Jeans cables.
post #6233 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Well the LG BD530 only sets a resolution. I have the player set to 1080p via HDMI. So all the DVDs are upscanned to 1080p. I will either play around with the MPEG and NR settings on the s60 or maybe for watching a DVD set the LG-BD530 to 480p. Thanks folks.
post #6234 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreflor View Post

Greatestalltime
How'd you get an S60 at Best Buy? When I got my 50S60 in December in Boca Raton, FL, I was told that was the last one in stock in the area for that size. That's great that you were able to get it.

I agree with JasonDJulian concerning Home Theater setting. Just watched a movie and went thru all the modes - for this movie, Home Theater was near perfect with minor tweaking. While the pix is darker than LED, the colors are very realistic - especially flesh tones. However, it is not the best for everyday.

I do not seem to be able to get the CUSTOM setting the way I want it. I spent a lot of time on my PX80u to get the settings just right, so I expect it'll take a little time. The picture got better with time, so I think "aging" actually improved my plasma. Maybe it's like a fine wine: a little age is good.

By the way, I'm sitting in my living room with 3 windows to my left, no blinds, and bright sun. The only problem that I see is my reflection in the panel when there's a dark screen AND I'm taking a picture of the set.

On the minus side, I'm having a difficult time setting up YouTube. I entered the authentication code as required but was not able to access it. I just gave up and went to my Blu-ray player, which gave me no trouble at all. I also have a cheap Roku, just in case.

Everything's a trade-off I guess. The Samsung 5300 that I got started turning itself off, and I wasn't happy with the picture (could have been the cheap panel). The Sony that I have (low-end) has a beautiful picture but is best seen straight on (good for bedroom). I find that I get eye strain if the picture is too bright - hence the Panasonic rather than the Samsung. Next purchase will be a 4000K that answers the phone, cooks and cleans!
post #6235 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM

Just started shopping for a new plasma a week ago. Researched it down the the s65 then searched. Almost gave up. Then poster on here suggested calling bb. I live in louisvile ky. After getting no help here I called Indianapolis. A helpful employee searched and found two in e town. Ky, a 45 minute drive. They couldn't hold them or figure out how to charge me over the phone. Drove up and only one was left. Got it.
I feel very lucky. It is the s6065. I think I said 60 at first.
post #6236 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Can someone post a link to the Fairchild2200 settings please.
post #6237 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime View Post

Can someone post a link to the Fairchild2200 settings please.

Page 1 - 1st Post
post #6238 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Liked: 15
Does the buzzing give anyone else a headache? Something about it is really annoying. I also don't like the picture is constantly moving, LCD looks still.
post #6239 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonFo View Post

Does the buzzing give anyone else a headache? Something about it is really annoying. I also don't like the picture is constantly moving, LCD looks still.

You shouldn't be hearing loud buzzing except on very bright scenes at very low volume levels. If you are hearing loud buzzing at normal volume levels on normal content, then something isn't right.

As far as the picture moving, I'm not really sure what this means. Maybe try turning pixel orbiter off?
post #6240 of 7467 Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 PM

Liked: 15
I guess I mean dithering. Turning the brightness down helps with that, but it doesn't eliminate it, I think because that's how plasmas make an image? So nothing looks still, everything is constantly moving to make an image?

Now I'm not promoting LEDs, since my Sony had a dirty-screen-effect which was just as annoying. But this is just as noticeable and maybe as bad on the eyes.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page