post #6302 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post

The firmware update 2.211 is not even available to download on the Panasonic Canada site.  Checking it out on the US site it says it
"Changes Smart Phone Application Name to TV Remote".

Seriously?  That's what the fuss is about?  No thanks.  I am happy with my set as is and will wait for a significant update if ever one comes.  

I spoke to Panasonic. The 2.211 update is for a compatibility issue with smart phones. So unless you are using one for your remote, I wouldn't bother with it. They also assured me they will look into the auto update issue on this set.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6303 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Thanks for clarifying Ian.  In general, I like to know the content and reason for software updates before I take the plunge, as they aren't always field tested thoroughly.

post #6304 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teven View Post

i took a picture of the problem on the tv, its not the best picture though (taking a pic of a tv screen never looks right)

its kind of possible to see the background wall lines go through the characters face.

this issues happens on just about all animated shows of this type like simpsons, southpark, familyguy, etc but i never noticed it from japanese anime or regular movies.

i tried tweaking just about every settings but can't get rid of it, right now it set so it appears as little as possible by having the gamma at 2.6. if i change that setting it gets much worse.

That is line bleed. There is no getting rid of it, it is just a by-product of the way plasma's generate their image.

I have seen nothing that improves or exacerbates the problem, it is just there. You begin to not see it as much over time, I rarely notice it anymore.
post #6305 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alright thanks, at least now i know what it is, just sucks that there is no way to get rid of it.
post #6306 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post

Guess I better do this on my sisters TV. For that matter, I wonder if my ZT60 has the same issue in finding the correct version.

Where do you check the firmware version on the TV?

Where do you find what the latest firmware should be and the download for it? I didn't see it when I did a quick perusing of Panasonic's site.

On the TV, I believe its Menu->Network Settings-> Software Update, but I'm not 100% sure as I'm not in front of the TV.

The latest S60/S64 firmware (version 2.211) can be downloaded at  http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P65S60?t=downloads&support#tabs

The latest VT60 firmware (version 2.873) can be found at http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P65VT60?t=downloads&support#tabs

post #6307 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I spoke to Panasonic. The 2.211 update is for a compatibility issue with smart phones. So unless you are using one for your remote, I wouldn't bother with it. They also assured me they will look into the auto update issue on this set.

Ian

Did you happen to ask about a fix to the '1080p pixel direct' mode? They fixed it via firmware on the ST60. It's completely useless the way they have it implemented (and a big disappointment to me as it's a desirable feature).
post #6308 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oechikr View Post

That is for YOUR tv, the 50".

For those of you looking for the latest firmwares (drivers) for your tv's, go to this link and locate your size . Then go over to the 'Drivers & Downloads' tab.

*Note: Your usb drive should be formatted and clean before putting the files on to avoid any complications.

The updates are independent of screen size. Only the TV model matters (the 50" S60 and 65" S60 share the same software updates, and the files from Panasonic's site will be identical, regardless of which screen size you choose).

post #6309 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 07:02 PM

Long time lurker, I just picked up a 50"s60 open box at best buy which I'm psyched about, the problem is it did not come with the remote, I can't access Netflix or viera cast through the menu. I have cox cable universal remote and an older panasonic plasma remote. I have searched the forum and the explanations on how to program don't make sense. Any help is appreciated.
post #6310 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rival1 View Post

Long time lurker, I just picked up a 50"s60 open box at best buy which I'm psyched about, the problem is it did not come with the remote, I can't access Netflix or viera cast through the menu. I have cox cable universal remote and an older panasonic plasma remote. I have searched the forum and the explanations on how to program don't make sense. Any help is appreciated.

Get a cheap Logitech harmony universal remote. I'm sure you can find one on Craigslist.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #6311 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Did you happen to ask about a fix to the '1080p pixel direct' mode? They fixed it via firmware on the ST60. It's completely useless the way they have it implemented (and a big disappointment to me as it's a desirable feature).

Sorry, I don't use that function, but I suggest you go on their site, look for the support link and send them an email. I called customer service and then I also used email support to advised them about the update issue.

Ian

post #6312 of 7286 Old 01-21-2014, 10:32 PM

Just purchased the 50inch s60, great tv, but i noticed some haze while watching videos on netflix, how do i get rid of it?

post #6313 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthestick View Post

Just purchased the 50inch s60, great tv, but i noticed some haze while watching videos on netflix, how do i get rid of it?

I have Open Connect and the Super HD is excellent and often better then my DIRECTV. What ISP are you using? Is it showing HD when you hit the info button on the remote? If your not getting enough bandwidth to produce the higher resolution formats, then the problem is with your provider, not the set.

Ian

post #6314 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

You can inquire about a replacement remote here

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/EpartR/PartsList.asp
post #6315 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

If you have a learning remote you can ask a Best Buy staffer to let you borrow one of their Panasonic remotes and then teach the codes to your remote while still in the TV department.

Thanks to MilkManX's helpful post, I see that Panasonic sells a replacement remote for only $12.39 (hopefully shipping isn't excessive).

Alternatively, if you were thinking about purchasing a wi-fi Blu-ray player you can stream via the player.
post #6316 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am gonna buy the replacement from panasonic. In the meantime I downloaded the panasonic remote app for iPad and it ables me to get on to the Netflix app.
post #6317 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Did you happen to ask about a fix to the '1080p pixel direct' mode?

^ I know exactly what you're referring to RWetmore, and should be able to provide an answer to that question in a couple days (if someone else doesn't beat me to it).

I picked up a P50S60 floor display over the weekend to test drive, and noticed the garish edge enhancement in the 1080p PIXEL DIRECT feature as well. I just DL'd the latest firmware though, and should have it installed pretty soon. For now, 1080p content looks fine as long as that setting is turned OFF.

ADU
post #6318 of 7286 Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

You are correct, my bad.
You will need to set the audio output of your PC to send audio through the HDMI port rather than your speakers. On windows 7/8 this can be done by right clicking the volume icon in your system tray and selecting "Playback Devices". Then set your hdmi port as default by right clicking it on the list and clicking "set as default". If you're on mac you just go to sound preferences and change the output from speakers to hdmi. An easy way to get to these preferenceses is to hit I believe the option key (failing that command) and one of the volume buttons on the keyboard.

If you have already done this, and you have a dedicated graphics card in your desktop, you may have had to connect a spdif connector from your soundcard to your graphics card for audio passthrough through the HDMI Port. My old Nvidia GTX 275 had to do this, the new cards have sound cards built in for this purpose and it is no longer needed.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this'll help at all, but there is also a Digital/Analog "switch" for HDMI audio in the Advanced Sound Settings menu on my S60 TV.

ADU
post #6319 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

Thanks for the responses. I am gonna buy the replacement from panasonic. In the meantime I downloaded the panasonic remote app for iPad and it ables me to get on to the Netflix app.

There's a nice used one on EBay i spotted the other day for $10.95 BIN with Free Shipping from California . . .

(Title is Genuine Panasonic N2QAYB000827 Remote Control)

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6320 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks randy I picked up the one off ebay.
post #6321 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

You will need to set the audio output of your PC to send audio through the HDMI port rather than your speakers. On windows 7/8 this can be done by right clicking the volume icon in your system tray and selecting "Playback Devices". Then set your hdmi port as default by right clicking it on the list and clicking "set as default". If you're on mac you just go to sound preferences and change the output from speakers to hdmi. An easy way to get to these preferenceses is to hit I believe the option key (failing that command) and one of the volume buttons on the keyboard.

If you have already done this, and you have a dedicated graphics card in your desktop, you may have had to connect a spdif connector from your soundcard to your graphics card for audio passthrough through the HDMI Port. My old Nvidia GTX 275 had to do this, the new cards have sound cards built in for this purpose and it is no longer needed.

Hope this helps.

Xenon;

My OS is WXP. When I right click the volume icon I don't see where the HDMI port is? Do I need to look for the HDMI port on the graphics card to enable audio?
My audio is part of the MB. I have added a graphics card which has the HDMI port. I'm not familiar with the spdif connector you mentioned.
post #6322 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Not sure if this'll help at all, but there is also a Digital/Analog "switch" for HDMI audio in the Advanced Sound Settings menu on my S60 TV.

Yes, there is a Digital/Analog switch for HDMI audio in advanced sound settings on my S64. So I chose the Analog setting and then got sound to the TV after connecting PC sound port to R, L component ports on the TV. However sound volume is pretty low even at highest TV sound setting.
Thanks for the tip.
post #6323 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci3 View Post

My audio is part of the MB. I have added a graphics card which has the HDMI port. I'm not familiar with the spdif connector you mentioned.

Your GPU (or maybe your motherboard) probably came with a small wire (I think it's likely two or three small wires braided together) with a two or three pin head that connects between your GPU and your sound card (in your case your motherboard). Try looking in the instruction manual for your GPU and for your mothboard to find where the attachments are. If you're like me, you may be out of luck (my Shuttle HTPC doesn't have an SPDIF connector on the mobo).

That's basically how the audio gets from your soundcard to the GPU to be output over the GPU's HDMI port.
post #6324 of 7286 Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Liked: 12
I have a S64 and I have noticed on some OTA content it is constantly dimming the image in steps. I noticed it first on Conan, oddly enough I never watch it, however in this instance the background image on the screen was a solid blue and black image. The tv just kept constantly adjusting itself , most noticeably the more solid dark color portion from lightest to darkest. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well. I'm hoping someone understands what this is. It's my first plasma and I'm curious if this is normal.

This doesn't seem to happen on every station. And I have never seen this with streaming content, video games or blu rays.

Any thoughts?
post #6325 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Xenon;

My OS is WXP. When I right click the volume icon I don't see where the HDMI port is? Do I need to look for the HDMI port on the graphics card to enable audio?

In windows XP you need to go to the "Sounds and Audio Devices" item in your control panel. Switch to the "Audio" Tab, and change the "Sound playback device" to the relevant item.

Depending on your graphics card and on board sound card the names here can differ, so I cannot say which one to pick.

As pr0ximity said, The spdif connector will be a very small wire that might have come with your graphics card. It is just two wires lightly twisted together, usually different colours, that terminate in a very small two pin connector. You would connect one end of this connector to your graphics card (usually to a connector on the edge of the board opposite the motherboard, or the end of card facing the front of the case), and the other to a sound output header on your motherboard. If this ends up being the case you will need to find the manual that came with your motherboard to locate the proper header, though it is usually silk screened onto the motherboard itself, but these can be hard to locate.

Most full size motherboards will have this output, but some smaller form factor ones such as the HTPC boards pr0ximity mentioned will not always have them.

As I said earlier, if you have a new line of graphics card, it might have a built in sound card for sending audio through it's HDMI port. If you tell us what model of graphics card you have we can tell you if it does or not.
post #6326 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoooth View Post

I have a S64 and I have noticed on some OTA content it is constantly dimming the image in steps. I noticed it first on Conan, oddly enough I never watch it, however in this instance the background image on the screen was a solid blue and black image. The tv just kept constantly adjusting itself , most noticeably the more solid dark color portion from lightest to darkest. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well. I'm hoping someone understands what this is. It's my first plasma and I'm curious if this is normal.

This doesn't seem to happen on every station. And I have never seen this with streaming content, video games or blu rays.

Any thoughts?

It's probably the automatic brightness leveler (ABL). There are no settings for it, and every plasma has that feature to conserve energy, and prevent the panel from overheating. I've heard that the picture settings can cause it to be more aggressive, so you may want to try another picture preset, or try some of the settings in the forum (see post #1). The other thing to do is verify that C.A.T.S., the energy saving feature that auto-adjusts the brightness based on ambient light in the room, is disabled. My former Samsung LED had a backlight control and supported the light adjustment feature, which I liked, but it had minimum and maximum settings to prevent the TV from getting too dim or bright, but that's not the case with the Panasonic plasmas. Of course, with LEDs it is a backlight control, so it's different, but still, would prefer they give you settings to prevent the TV from becoming unwatchable, which is how I would describe C.A.T.S..
post #6327 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:

In windows XP you need to go to the "Sounds and Audio Devices" item in your control panel. Switch to the "Audio" Tab, and change the "Sound playback device" to the relevant item.

Depending on your graphics card and on board sound card the names here can differ, so I cannot say which one to pick.

As pr0ximity said, The spdif connector will be a very small wire that might have come with your graphics card. It is just two wires lightly twisted together, usually different colours, that terminate in a very small two pin connector. You would connect one end of this connector to your graphics card (usually to a connector on the edge of the board opposite the motherboard, or the end of card facing the front of the case), and the other to a sound output header on your motherboard. If this ends up being the case you will need to find the manual that came with your motherboard to locate the proper header, though it is usually silk screened onto the motherboard itself, but these can be hard to locate.

Most full size motherboards will have this output, but some smaller form factor ones such as the HTPC boards pr0ximity mentioned will not always have them.

As I said earlier, if you have a new line of graphics card, it might have a built in sound card for sending audio through it's HDMI port. If you tell us what model of graphics card you have we can tell you if it does or not.

Hi; My graphics card is MSI N210 with HDMI output. "NVIDIA CUDA Technology"
I looked at my MB manual and it shows a SPDIF connector with 4 pinholes, I think one is vacant. I don't recall having a cable to fit this connector....and the question is does my graphics card have the appropriate connector? I hope you'll be able to tell me.

Thanks for your help.
post #6328 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM

XENON:

Somehow I accidentally replied to myself re the graphics card information.
See post 6328
post #6329 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Hi; My graphics card is MSI N210 with HDMI output. "NVIDIA CUDA Technology"
I looked at my MB manual and it shows a SPDIF connector with 4 pinholes, I think one is vacant. I don't recall having a cable to fit this connector....and the question is does my graphics card have the appropriate connector? I hope you'll be able to tell me.

Thanks for your help.

Took a look at the manual for that card and I would seem it has built in support for 7.1 channel audio over the HDMI port and I see no mention of a spdif requirement, so you should be good to go.

Just try going into the control panel like I mentioned earlier and change the audio output device to something that looks like the hdmi port.
post #6330 of 7286 Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

It's probably the automatic brightness leveler (ABL). There are no settings for it, and every plasma has that feature to conserve energy, and prevent the panel from overheating. I've heard that the picture settings can cause it to be more aggressive, so you may want to try another picture preset, or try some of the settings in the forum (see post #1). The other thing to do is verify that C.A.T.S., the energy saving feature that auto-adjusts the brightness based on ambient light in the room, is disabled. My former Samsung LED had a backlight control and supported the light adjustment feature, which I liked, but it had minimum and maximum settings to prevent the TV from getting too dim or bright, but that's not the case with the Panasonic plasmas. Of course, with LEDs it is a backlight control, so it's different, but still, would prefer they give you settings to prevent the TV from becoming unwatchable, which is how I would describe C.A.T.S..

I did have C.A.T.S off. And I agree totally unwatchable with it on. I did change Energy Saving to Standard instead of Saving. I am using fairchilds settings currently. Thanks for replying. Hopefully this will help.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page