Forum Jump: 

post #6691 of 7240 Old 03-20-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

I have heard that the manufacturer's warranty is extended by an extra year if purchased with certain credit cards. Does anybody know the validity of this or which credit cards are eligible for this extra year of warranty? How can I find out exactly if I am eligible for this, by calling Panasonic or the card company? Thanks for any help.

I know Visa does this. They will generally honor it but it is a bit of a hassle. What they require you to do is get an estimate for the repair, and if they are ok with it will tell you to go ahead with the repair and will compensate you for the amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 7240 Old 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Took me forever to try to get the damn firmware figured out. I know I did the stability one but it kept on saying check file (error 0004) after 20 min of fiddling with formatting my USB to different file types I checked my version and sure enough I already did it mad.gif Waste of time.

Anyways. I know it's for capable 4:4:4 blu-ray players watching blu-ray movies and potentially helps with some game consoles from what I've read here . But I'm wondering if there will be any benefit for me as I use this as a HTPC through a Denon 1611 which fits the specs and it isn't grayed out. I don't PC game through it but only use it for browsing and watching .mkv hq rips I wouldn't think so but I'm not that familiar on what it does in regards for what I'm doing and could possibly hurt the PQ.

If I do PC game should I turn it on? And I take it I don't need to change any of the PS3 blu-ray settings to take advantage of it, as I already have the best/recommended settings plugged in for blu-ray content.
post #6693 of 7240 Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

Took me forever to try to get the damn firmware figured out. I know I did the stability one but it kept on saying check file (error 0004) after 20 min of fiddling with formatting my USB to different file types I checked my version and sure enough I already did it mad.gif Waste of time.

Anyways. I know it's for capable 4:4:4 blu-ray players watching blu-ray movies and potentially helps with some game consoles from what I've read here . But I'm wondering if there will be any benefit for me as I use this as a HTPC through a Denon 1611 which fits the specs and it isn't grayed out. I don't PC game through it but only use it for browsing and watching .mkv hq rips I wouldn't think so but I'm not that familiar on what it does in regards for what I'm doing and could possibly hurt the PQ.

If I do PC game should I turn it on? And I take it I don't need to change any of the PS3 blu-ray settings to take advantage of it, as I already have the best/recommended settings plugged in for blu-ray content.

I emailed ISF calibrator Lee Niekirk of Reviewed.com about pixel direct, and he replied that when he tested pixel direct's effect on Blu-Rays, he could not find any difference in picture quality. I could only assume that the feature is probably more useful for gaming.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6694 of 7240 Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I emailed ISF calibrator Lee Niekirk of Reviewed.com about pixel direct, and he replied that when he tested pixel direct's effect on Blu-Rays, he could not find any difference in picture quality. I could only assume that the feature is probably more useful for gaming.

For it to be most apparent, you'd need to look at burst patterns of red and blue as provided on the Spears and Munsil discs, and even there, it's only apparent on a small minority of the patterns. I'm not sure how important it is for video, because video is stored as 4:2:0. If the player is outputting 4:4:4, and 1080pPD is turned off, my understanding is that the TV ignores what the player did to expand the chroma and does the expansion itself. It's possible the player is better at it than the TV, but in moving material that had low chroma resolution to begin with, it's going to be hard to see. Even for PC output, it's hard to see unless you encounter pathological combinations like red text on a blue background.

As long as it doesn't change the calibration, I would enable it for 4:4:4 sources and check it and other settings against the Spears and Munsil 2 ed. "Choosing a Color Space" pattern. I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference in ordinary video material, though, and I'd avoid it if the S60 is bugged like the ST60 was before the first firmware update, the one that corrected the extreme sharpening that came with 1080pPD, which was formerly relieved by switching to Photos mode, which turned on Native color gamut and required a very different calibration to deal with the oversaturation that resulted. Now that the ST60 is fixed, I do use 1080pPD, as both my HTPC and BD player look best when outputting RGB per the S&M pattern, and 1080pPD no longer hurts anything and helps with real 4:4:4 material.
post #6695 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10

Hi Guys. I am looking for some picture settings help. I have a P55S60 TV I mainly use it for gaming on a PS3 and PS4 can someone recommend me some picture settings. I am tried using the settings provided on the front page but i don't think they look right in games.

post #6696 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwluke View Post

Hi Guys. I am looking for some picture settings help. I have a P55S60 TV I mainly use it for gaming on a PS3 and PS4 can someone recommend me some picture settings. I am tried using the settings provided on the front page but i don't think they look right in games.

The general way to deal with games is to take the settings on the front page, then change the colour temperature from warm 2 to warm 1 or neutral as many games expect a more neutral temperature. Then crank up the sharpness and colour a bit to make the image pop more.
mphfrom77 likes this.
post #6697 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwluke View Post

Here is my gaming setting

Now for Gaming on AV/Component

Cinema
Contrast 85
Bright +9
Color 50
Tint-0
Warm1
Sharpness-20
Cats-OFF
VideoNR-OFF
Mpeg -OFF
Panel MID
Gamma is at 2.4
No detail adjustments
3:2 Auto
Black Level-Light
1080p pixel OFF
Overscan OFF
Size1
post #6698 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 221
What I had learned in the past about the best settings while gaming I have already forgot, and I too need a refresher.

I'm confused, should I have it on...Standard, or Nonstandard RGB range with my PS4 (using HDMI)?

And what settings do I need to make sure I setup in the PS4 settings?
post #6699 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post

Here is my gaming setting

Now for Gaming on AV/Component

Cinema
Contrast 85
Bright +9
Color 50
Tint-0
Warm1
Sharpness-20
Cats-OFF
VideoNR-OFF
Mpeg -OFF
Panel MID
Gamma is at 2.4
No detail adjustments
Black Level-Light
1080p pixel OFF
Overscan OFF
Size1

Thank you, I will try out the settings today. Since I am using HDMI should i set RGB to Standard or Nonstandard along with the corresponding settings on the PS4?

post #6700 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 PM

I don't have a PS4 yet so you may have to experiment and report back on that one. I only have a 360 right now and soon a PS4. (which will be on HDMI so please test!)
post #6701 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Does 1080p Pixel Direct option introduce any input lag while gaming?

(I've not done a firmware update yet.) (And, I'm not even sure if a PS4 over HDMI while gaming would even allow this TV to enable Pixel Direct.)

So I changed my PS4 (only used for gaming) back to nonStandard rgb range and changed it on my S64 as well. So I guess that is the best setting for gaming there? I guess I need to figure out if the pixel direct thing would show any benefits while gaming.

I believe I will change a few settings that I have been using. Like I will probably go from a 2.6 gamma to a 2.4 gamma. Then maybe look at some of the other settings.

Right now, for gaming, it is in Cinema (warm 2). Should I try Custom for gaming ya think?

Any other suggestions?
post #6702 of 7240 Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, so I am still confused, but I think I should run the PS4's RGB range in "full" as opposed to "limited". So then I put the 65S64 into "Nonstandard" RGB range. If I do this, it is just a dramatic difference, in game, for dark areas of maps. I can actually see stairwells and dark areas like windows or going into a nonlit room, more like I think I am supposed to.

But I am using fairchild's "custom" settings, where he uses "Standard" RGB range, so I am not sure if I am then going in and completely changing all the settings he came up with, by changing it over to "Nonstandard". It makes a big, big difference in the brightness of the game, and frankly it is very difficult to see some things in "Standard" mode and I don't think it is supposed to be that way...that dark. So for now I will leave it in "Nonstandard" for video games with the PS4.

The other thing is...Wow...Sharpness makes a dramatic difference. But for video games with the PS4, I'm not sure exactly what I am affecting if I crank it up.

Does it affect other things that may not be as obvious to me?

Because I don't think I can go back to my original setting of +20 for Sharpness. I've, for the first time, cranked it up to 70-80 while in game on the PS4 and it just seems like it is a lot better and more in line with how the game should be viewed. Just everything. Plants have defined leaves for example.

A lot better than 0 or +20. I'm not sure if over time I would want to bring it back down, to say like +50, and find that I like that better, but I don't think I can go back to +0 or +20 even. Just a dramatic difference and I don't think the game is meant to be that "bland" for lack of a better word.

So, is there a negative side to cranking the Sharpness way up there for video games?

Thanks for any input.
post #6703 of 7240 Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Wow, so I am still confused, but I think I should run the PS4's RGB range in "full" as opposed to "limited". So then I put the 65S64 into "Nonstandard" RGB range. If I do this, it is just a dramatic difference, in game, for dark areas of maps. I can actually see stairwells and dark areas like windows or going into a nonlit room, more like I think I am supposed to.

But I am using fairchild's "custom" settings, where he uses "Standard" RGB range, so I am not sure if I am then going in and completely changing all the settings he came up with, by changing it over to "Nonstandard". It makes a big, big difference in the brightness of the game, and frankly it is very difficult to see some things in "Standard" mode and I don't think it is supposed to be that way...that dark. So for now I will leave it in "Nonstandard" for video games with the PS4.

The other thing is...Wow...Sharpness makes a dramatic difference. But for video games with the PS4, I'm not sure exactly what I am affecting if I crank it up.

Does it affect other things that may not be as obvious to me?

Because I don't think I can go back to my original setting of +20 for Sharpness. I've, for the first time, cranked it up to 70-80 while in game on the PS4 and it just seems like it is a lot better and more in line with how the game should be viewed. Just everything. Plants have defined leaves for example.

A lot better than 0 or +20. I'm not sure if over time I would want to bring it back down, to say like +50, and find that I like that better, but I don't think I can go back to +0 or +20 even. Just a dramatic difference and I don't think the game is meant to be that "bland" for lack of a better word.

So, is there a negative side to cranking the Sharpness way up there for video games?

Thanks for any input.

Hey try these settings i tweaked the ones posted by MilkManX

Cinema
Contrast 85
Bright -3
Color 50
Tint-0
Warm1
Sharpness - 70
Cats - OFF
VideoNR - OFF
Mpeg - OFF
Panel MID

Color Gamut - Native
Gamma is at 2.4
No detail adjustments
Black Level-Light
1080p pixel OFF
Overscan OFF
Size1

RGB - Nonstandard

I used my VITA running Infamous Second Son as a point of reference when tweaking the settings.

post #6704 of 7240 Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

So I got a question.  

My 55" S60 has about 700 hours on it now.  I noticed that my blacks have increased over time, normally a good thing.  However I think I am now getting some black crush despite not having altered my settings since the 300 hour mark.  I am using some of FairChild99's settings, there are as follows:

Cinema
Contrast 86
Bright -2
Color 46
Tint-0
Warm1
Sharpness - 0
Cats - OFF
VideoNR - OFF
Mpeg - OFF
Panel MID

Color Gamut - Normal
Gamma is at 2.4
Black Level-Light
1080p pixel OFF
Overscan OFF
Size1

I sometimes toggle between Warm1 and 2, not sure which looks more natural to me.  I dont recall all of the RGB settings, and I also have a similar config in Custom, but with a little a little lower contrast and brightness at 0.  Different color settings obviously.  It too seems much darker than in previous hours. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Its great that my blacks are darker, however I am JUST starting to lose detail in dark clothing, and its beginning to appear to blend in with black or dark backgrounds.  About 90% of my viewing is in a moderate to very dark room. 

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #6705 of 7240 Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

So I got a question.  

My 55" S60 has about 700 hours on it now.  I noticed that my blacks have increased over time, normally a good thing.  However I think I am now getting some black crush despite not having altered my settings since the 300 hour mark.  I am using some of FairChild99's settings, there are as follows:

Cinema

Contrast 86

Bright -2

Color 46

Tint-0

Warm1

Sharpness - 0

Cats - OFF

VideoNR - OFF

Mpeg - OFF

Panel MID
Color Gamut - Normal

Gamma is at 2.4

Black Level-Light

1080p pixel OFF

Overscan OFF

Size1

I sometimes toggle between Warm1 and 2, not sure which looks more natural to me.  I dont recall all of the RGB settings, and I also have a similar config in Custom, but with a little a little lower contrast and brightness at 0.  Different color settings obviously.  It too seems much darker than in previous hours. 

Has anyone else experienced this?  Its great that my blacks are darker, however I am JUST starting to lose detail in dark clothing, and its beginning to appear to blend in with black or dark backgrounds.  About 90% of my viewing is in a moderate to very dark room. 

Try raising your brightness and sharpness a bit.

Ian

post #6706 of 7240 Old 03-25-2014, 05:29 PM

I think the sharpness has a decent effect if the source is 720p/1080p like a Blu Ray.

I had to turn it down as it made 480p sources too grainy(DVD)

Also even the XBox 360 (somewhere around 6-700p tops most of the time) would look a bit too grainy with the sharpness at 30-50.

For my Gaming on 360 I have it at 20.

For everything else I leave it at 0.
post #6707 of 7240 Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Try raising your brightness and sharpness a bit.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I raised brightness from -2 up to 0, and moved my sharpness from 0 up to 20.  Seems better, haven't seen enough content to know if its MUCH better yet, however. If i need to make further changes, are those the only two settings I should concern myself with, or are there others that have an effect on black crush such as I described?

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #6708 of 7240 Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ian, I raised brightness from -2 up to 0, and moved my sharpness from 0 up to 20.  Seems better, haven't seen enough content to know if its MUCH better yet, however. If i need to make further changes, are those the only two settings I should concern myself with, or are there others that have an effect on black crush such as I described?

You can also play with the gamma control, and AGC, but your 2.4 setting should be satisfactory. That being said, I get the best results with the AGC off and the gamma set to 2.2 on my particular set.

Ian

post #6709 of 7240 Old 03-26-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

All raising the sharpness above zero does is add artificial noise to the picture. I strongly recommend keeping it at zero.
post #6710 of 7240 Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

All raising the sharpness above zero does is add artificial noise to the picture. I strongly recommend keeping it at zero.

I have to respectfully disagree. There is nothing wrong with raising the sharpness a bit. The best way to set sharpness is to start at 0 with the picture paused or use a test pattern on a calibration disc. If you find that the picture or pattern looks too soft, raise it very gradually until it sharpens. Anymore then that can introduce noise or ringing.

Ian

post #6711 of 7240 Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hi can someone link me movie picture settings ? im going to my dad house where this tv is at and hes does not have internet in that area .

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
post #6712 of 7240 Old 03-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

hi can someone link me movie picture settings ? im going to my dad house where this tv is at and hes does not have internet in that area .

Links to generally accepted good settings are linked in the first post.
post #6713 of 7240 Old 03-31-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus738 View Post

I am using this currently. Self Calibrated with the Disney WOW blu ray but also fairly close to others in this thread.

Cinema
Contrast 85
Bright +2
Color 50
Tint-2
Sharpness 0
Warm2
Cats-OFF
VideoNR-OFF
Mpeg -OFF
Panel MID
Gamma is at 2.4
No detail adjustments
Black Level-Light
1080p pixel OFF
Overscan OFF
Size1

Just popped in the Terminator 1 remaster and it looks amazing.
gus738 likes this.
post #6714 of 7240 Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I just discovered something new with this TV (and probably all the 2013 Panasonics). That is, when panel brightness is set to 'Low', the slight amount of non-defeatable artificial sharpening (i.e. noise) added to the image is gone. If one can get an acceptable or prior equal level of brightness output from the set running it in 'Low' instead of 'Mid' or 'High', I would definitely recommend it for this reason. There was always a little added noise in the image which irked me. This also makes me think there is likely a service menu setting that can disable this in 'Mid' and 'High'. If anyone knows anything or anyone who might know, can we find out? If so, it would really be significant.
post #6715 of 7240 Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man I'm really bummed out. The 50S60 that I found on CL for $500 is gone now. I was getting ready to purchase it and boom, he sold it without telling me. You snooze you lose, I guess. I found a store model 50S60 that a Sears 2 hours away from me is selling for $550. Contemplating whether it's worth the time and money to go all the way there, as it's 2 hours away and 130 miles of driving each way. Sears online advertises it as a new in box model but the gentleman who helped me on the phone told me it was their store model. What do you gents think, is it worth me to go all the way there to purchase it, or should I stay patient and keep scouring CL? Keep in mind I have a perfectly working 42UT50 that I love, I just want a larger set now.
post #6716 of 7240 Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just discovered something new with this TV (and probably all the 2013 Panasonics). That is, when panel brightness is set to 'Low', the slight amount of non-defeatable artificial sharpening (i.e. noise) added to the image is gone. If one can get an acceptable or prior equal level of brightness output from the set running it in 'Low' instead of 'Mid' or 'High', I would definitely recommend it for this reason. There was always a little added noise in the image which irked me. This also makes me think there is likely a service menu setting that can disable this in 'Mid' and 'High'. If anyone knows anything or anyone who might know, can we find out? If so, it would really be significant.

I always use the cinema mode and I never notice any increase in video noise unless the brightness is set to high. I've also found that the mid setting is best since the low setting introduces some posterization with facial images on certain broadcasts. My sources are usually DTV and Netflix Super HD. (Blu-Rays rarely show any anomalies).

Ian

post #6717 of 7240 Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawzey View Post

Man I'm really bummed out. The 50S60 that I found on CL for $500 is gone now. I was getting ready to purchase it and boom, he sold it without telling me. You snooze you lose, I guess. I found a store model 50S60 that a Sears 2 hours away from me is selling for $550. Contemplating whether it's worth the time and money to go all the way there, as it's 2 hours away and 130 miles of driving each way. Sears online advertises it as a new in box model but the gentleman who helped me on the phone told me it was their store model. What do you gents think, is it worth me to go all the way there to purchase it, or should I stay patient and keep scouring CL? Keep in mind I have a perfectly working 42UT50 that I love, I just want a larger set now.

If it's new, in the box, unopened, then I would make the effort to drive a couple hours. Have you tried calling every electronic/department store in your area for Panasonic plasma's? 

gus738 likes this.
post #6718 of 7240 Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

I'm interested in how you discovered the noise. In response to Ian's comments, do you notice posterization in the image more? CNET's calibration was done with the panel brightness set to 'Low' and that is the default in the Cinema preset, as I recall. Thanks.
post #6719 of 7240 Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

I'm interested in how you discovered the noise. In response to Ian's comments, do you notice posterization in the image more? CNET's calibration was done with the panel brightness set to 'Low' and that is the default in the Cinema preset, as I recall. Thanks.

No, less posterization. I'm using the latest firmware.
post #6720 of 7240 Old 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oechikr View Post

If it's new, in the box, unopened, then I would make the effort to drive a couple hours. Have you tried calling every electronic/department store in your area for Panasonic plasma's? 

Thank you for your input. Sears online states that it is a new open box item, but in reality it's the store model. I think I may just drive all the way there and get it for $550.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page