post #6751 of 7240 Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Go View Post

It has its own settings for media player but when I compared USB and HDMI with same settings it doesn't match. That's why I'm asking if which is better in quality . I'm very happy with the USB direct but I wish there is someone who has a good picture setting for it . mostly everyone use HDMI.

I use the cinema mode for both HDMI and USB. I have not had to change any settings.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 7240 Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So your using HDMI with a media or blue ray player. And the USB direct from a different external hard drive. With same source file and look perfectly similar?
post #6753 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I use the TV's USB function to play MKV files that I have downloaded on line and I have never experienced any issues.

Ian

Your response to everyone who has any issue with this set is always more or less "mine works fine". What is this magical power you have!

Ohh, and what was your name again? I seem to have forgotten... smile.gif
post #6754 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post

Would you buy a 50S60 that may have been on 10 hours a day for a year in vivid setting? I have the chance to pick one up but am hesitant to do so in case it have significantly shortened it's half life... or otherwise harmed the display...Thoughts?

The only way Vivid can harm the display is if they were showing content that could cause permanent burn-in. The panel is rated at 100,000 hours so i wouldn't be concerned that it's life has been shortened.

However........

1. What is the price of this TV? New ones were going for like $599 at the end of the run so i'd expect this unit to be less than $500.

2. Is the TV a display model from an actual retailer or was this TV hanging in a sports bar all it's life?

3. Does the store have a good return policy? (like 15-30 days with no restocking charge?)

4. Are you able to power the TV up at the store/bar and (A.) check the panel for signs of burn-in and (B.) check the Hours?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6755 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So your using HDMI with a media or blue ray player. And the USB direct from a different external hard drive. With same source file and look perfectly similar?

I download MKV files to the USB drive. I use the same settings as I do with HDMI, which is for my BD player, DTV DVR and Roku 2 and they all look fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Your response to everyone who has any issue with this set is always more or less "mine works fine". What is this magical power you have!

Maybe I'm just not that anal. tongue.gif

IAN wink.gif
foghorn2 likes this.

post #6756 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73

I do the same as Ian.  I copy .mp4/.mkv HD video files to one of two 16Gb mini USB flash drives (that kind that are the size of wireless nano receivers) and copied my tweaked Cinema settings to all inputs.  I play all my non-bluray movies this way.  It works phenomenally.  Plus, its very flush and low-profile plugged into the side USB ports, nothing really to knock or get jammed sideways or broken.. 

My tweaked Cinema settings are adjusted for best accuracy without a real calibration, and look fantastic while watching BD, 1080 HD tv from U-Verse, or my flash drives. 

mailiang likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #6757 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The only way Vivid can harm the display is if they were showing content that could cause permanent burn-in. The panel is rated at 100,000 hours so i wouldn't be concerned that it's life has been shortened.

However........

1. What is the price of this TV? New ones were going for like $599 at the end of the run so i'd expect this unit to be less than $500.

2. Is the TV a display model from an actual retailer or was this TV hanging in a sports bar all it's life?

3. Does the store have a good return policy? (like 15-30 days with no restocking charge?)

4. Are you able to power the TV up at the store/bar and (A.) check the panel for signs of burn-in and (B.) check the Hours?

Thx Randy

1) $699 Cdn
2) Display Model at a Future Shop - typically the play a canned loop split to all the tv's on the floor
3) They should have a full warantee and return policy... but I will confirm before, if I buy it.
4) Yes, should be no problem

That said - I have never seen a big box store negotiate on price - I can try to get them to cut the price to $500 or less...
They have new Samsung 5300's at the same price in a sealed box.

I am have always preferred Panasonic and think it is the better of the 2 displays.
post #6758 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM

IIRC, the Future Shop price for the 50S60 was $799 when on sale, so $699 is not bad.  I doubt you will knock them down on price unless you buy their extended warranty but it is worth a try, and I wouldn't expect them to go below $600.  Just make sure they have the stand and original remote for it.  As you say, they usually play a loop of varied programming so I would not anticipate major burn-in issues.  

post #6759 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

I do the same as Ian.  I copy .mp4/.mkv HD video files to one of two 16Gb mini USB flash drives (that kind that are the size of wireless nano receivers) and copied my tweaked Cinema settings to all inputs.  I play all my non-bluray movies this way.  It works phenomenally.  Plus, its very flush and low-profile plugged into the side USB ports, nothing really to knock or get jammed sideways or broken.. 

My tweaked Cinema settings are adjusted for best accuracy without a real calibration, and look fantastic while watching BD, 1080 HD tv from U-Verse, or my flash drives. 

Yes I did that the same thing! it looks fantastic. what is your picture setting for usb? Have you tested it via hdmi and usb same source if they look the same? my goal is to get a good cinema setting base on Fairchild settings on a usb. as I said both are different output when I tested hdmi and usb.

Alvin

post #6760 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM

okay first i have no idea where to post my question. so my apologies. i have a panasonic plasma tc-p50g25. i found on the curb. set does turn on ,clicks but panel does not prime. led Indicator turns on and stays on does not blink? any idea's. thank you.
post #6761 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekdiesel3 View Post

okay first i have no idea where to post my question. so my apologies. i have a panasonic plasma tc-p50g25. i found on the curb. set does turn on ,clicks but panel does not prime. led Indicator turns on and stays on does not blink? any idea's. thank you.

You may want to post it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1231956/the-official-panasonic-g20-25-owners-discussion-thread-no-price-talk/0_100

Ian
shanekdiesel3 likes this.

post #6762 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I'm not experiencing any of the issues posted here either.
post #6763 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, So pretty much its just all the same in picture quality. Have another question. When I Played the movies in usb direct and tested the same files in hdmi ( ps3 ). They both look different with the same picture setting use. Im using fairchild picture settings. I'm trying to get both similar quality. Do you know anyone who has a picture setting for usb? panasonic p50s60.

That could be the color output of the PS3.
post #6764 of 7240 Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM

What's is your color output?
post #6765 of 7240 Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

I'm not experiencing any of the issues posted here either.

Guess i am just unlucky then.
post #6766 of 7240 Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post

IIRC, the Future Shop price for the 50S60 was $799 when on sale, so $699 is not bad.  I doubt you will knock them down on price unless you buy their extended warranty but it is worth a try, and I wouldn't expect them to go below $600.  Just make sure they have the stand and original remote for it.  As you say, they usually play a loop of varied programming so I would not anticipate major burn-in issues.  

Based on this and RW's comments I went back to Future Shop and looked closely at the panel for IR issues, checked the # hours. They found the original remote and I showed them how to check hours (they had no idea). 3664 hours, no ghost images burned in whatsoever and no dead pixels noticed. It was on vivid setting as suspected, so I reset it to standard mode, played with the settings to dial it in to more realistic values as published in this thread...

The IQ is simply amazing. They could not move on price as they claimed their cost was $689 rolleyes.gif... No original box, no stand... I needed to scratch my buying itch so I paid the $699 and got them to throw in a $99 tilting wall mount.

I installed it last night using component as I didn't want to partially disassemble the entire wall unit, pull an hdmi cable etc... surprised my wife - called it an anniversary present... (for US dear, not just you...)

It looks absolutely stunning! THANK YOU so much for your guidance on this.
post #6767 of 7240 Old 04-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Congrats on getting one of these sets.  I'm glad I picked up my 55S60 when I did, as they sure disappeared in a hurry.  At least they threw in the wall mount for you, it makes it a better deal for sure. 

post #6768 of 7240 Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 PM

Got mine in sears last month. Check hours 1860. 3years warranty full replacement for 650 with tax 700 plus.
I was searching anywhere can't find one until I spot sears local 5 mins away in my house. I didn't expect they have it .
This TV is amazing. Already calibrate my set for USB.
post #6769 of 7240 Old 04-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:

As far as I can tell, if the tv can play a file you have off of usb, it will look the same as if you were to use a ps3 for example to play that file.

In practice though, the TV's built in player is crap. It crashes, chokes randomly on files that work everywhere else, and just likes to act up in general. I avoid it.

If you have the option then HDMI that the way to go. A correctly setup mpc-hc with MadVR would be a lot better than whatever Panasonic uses.

Edit: NM, I see the HDMI you're talking about is the PS3. I would go with http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/ I think that's what I used many years ago because it was better than optical and s-video, but with HDMI from computer to TV there isn't any need.now.
post #6770 of 7240 Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 AM

After spending too many hours trying out all of Fairchilds settings that he posted (maybe 10 or so) back in the day, so much that I had to use JScreenFix.scr (good program, kind of like disney's pixel flipper) and loop pixar movies to get rid of the stubborn IR. Yes I know every TV is different but I'm poor and not going to pay for calibration as it it's not that crucial for me at this point as I'm not big into movies/games and the TV looks good anyways in my eyes, I might have to revisit it as I'm up to 2500 hours now on my set. What's funny is that I hated the CNET's settings when I first got it, then maybe 1,000 hours into it I tried it again and loved it, but tweaking it to 2.4 which probably screwed up the whole thing, but that is what looked the best to me for all the settings. Besides it being a bit on the blue side, the red push was gone, and I found it gave it a little more pop than fairchilds so I stuck with that for a few months now. I didn't notice until I read here today CNET did in fact calibrate it on low, which I had mine set to mid the whole time. It actually does make quite a difference in the picture with colors but need to test it out. Blue/Orange/Black seems a bit darker naturally but I might be sacrificing the whites, I should throw in a reference Blu-Ray to see if it does make a difference as the only thing I really test was a 1080p rip of Family Guy and normal HTPC stuff.

I go nuts with calibrating and it would make my life easier if we could have 2 cinema modes. I found out with my set you can pretty much match Cinema/Custom modes 1:1 if you plug in both of same settings, then drop custom modes color down 4 notches. Toggle back and forth and it's pretty much dead on. That's easier to test out different settings (then you can reverse them) to get a general idea instead of plugging in Cinema, then re-doing Cinema with different settings, as your eyes have changed and it's too hard to tell unless you take HQ pictures or the like. I just don't want to get sucked back into the black hole of doing this smile.gif
post #6771 of 7240 Old 04-12-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

After spending too many hours trying out all of Fairchilds settings that he posted (maybe 10 or so) back in the day, so much that I had to use JScreenFix.scr (good program, kind of like disney's pixel flipper) and loop pixar movies to get rid of the stubborn IR. Yes I know every TV is different but I'm poor and not going to pay for calibration as it it's not that crucial for me at this point as I'm not big into movies/games and the TV looks good anyways in my eyes, I might have to revisit it as I'm up to 2500 hours now on my set. What's funny is that I hated the CNET's settings when I first got it, then maybe 1,000 hours into it I tried it again and loved it, but tweaking it to 2.4 which probably screwed up the whole thing, but that is what looked the best to me for all the settings. Besides it being a bit on the blue side, the red push was gone, and I found it gave it a little more pop than fairchilds so I stuck with that for a few months now. I didn't notice until I read here today CNET did in fact calibrate it on low, which I had mine set to mid the whole time. It actually does make quite a difference in the picture with colors but need to test it out. Blue/Orange/Black seems a bit darker naturally but I might be sacrificing the whites, I should throw in a reference Blu-Ray to see if it does make a difference as the only thing I really test was a 1080p rip of Family Guy and normal HTPC stuff.

I go nuts with calibrating and it would make my life easier if we could have 2 cinema modes. I found out with my set you can pretty much match Cinema/Custom modes 1:1 if you plug in both of same settings, then drop custom modes color down 4 notches. Toggle back and forth and it's pretty much dead on. That's easier to test out different settings (then you can reverse them) to get a general idea instead of plugging in Cinema, then re-doing Cinema with different settings, as your eyes have changed and it's too hard to tell unless you take HQ pictures or the like. I just don't want to get sucked back into the black hole of doing this smile.gif

I used CNETS settings initially and then after break-in I raised the panel brightness to mid and did some minor tweaking. Most content which includes DTV and Netflix streaming, look very good, while most BD's look stunning.

Ian

post #6772 of 7240 Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I used CNETS settings initially and then after break-in I raised the panel brightness to mid and did some minor tweaking. Most content which includes DTV and Netflix streaming, look very good, while most BD's look stunning.

Ian

I don't feel like scanning back. Do you have a 50 inch or a 60? What throws me off always is D-nice's calibration with the ST60 50 inch is: Adjustment Gamma: 2.6 (2.4 on 60 and 65" models) but that might have to do in part with the coating. Fairchild has a 50 inch also. The tweaks I did was with Cnet's was the 2.4 and dropped the color to 50 to 49, you wouldn't think 1 notch would make a difference but it sure does. The orange/yellow and especially red depending on how bright it is will almost turn it neon. Flipping back to 50/49 constantly with the picture frozen you would be shocked. So I'm testing out the low to see if that makes any difference but maybe Mid was always the way to go as I'm not that familiar and don't know what to expect from low vs mid. I just put in 2 of the latest fairchild's settings in custom, the first one posted (lastest) 2.6 gamma is just too dark on my set. That's coming from a 4:4:4 full through video card on non-standard. The 2.4 one actually matches pretty much in line with Cnet's but I threw that on Custom and notched the color back 3-4 spots. The obvious difference is always the Blue's and a little of the greens but that will always be the case with Cnets's settings but I find it the blues more accurate than Fairchilds, that or I'm just used to it now and it's way off base. I'll post some screen shots through MPC-HC to show you the difference.

NM: I would have thought that MPC's screen caps on the 2 settings would show the differences but it doesn't.
post #6773 of 7240 Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

I don't feel like scanning back. Do you have a 50 inch or a 60? What throws me off always is D-nice's calibration with the ST60 50 inch is: Adjustment Gamma: 2.6 (2.4 on 60 and 65" models) but that might have to do in part with the coating. Fairchild has a 50 inch also. The tweaks I did was with Cnet's was the 2.4 and dropped the color to 50 to 49, you wouldn't think 1 notch would make a difference but it sure does. The orange/yellow and especially red depending on how bright it is will almost turn it neon. Flipping back to 50/49 constantly with the picture frozen you would be shocked. So I'm testing out the low to see if that makes any difference but maybe Mid was always the way to go as I'm not that familiar and don't know what to expect from low vs mid. I just put in 2 of the latest fairchild's settings in custom, the first one posted (lastest) 2.6 gamma is just too dark on my set. That's coming from a 4:4:4 full through video card on non-standard. The 2.4 one actually matches pretty much in line with Cnet's but I threw that on Custom and notched the color back 3-4 spots. The obvious difference is always the Blue's and a little of the greens but that will always be the case with Cnets's settings but I find it the blues more accurate than Fairchilds, that or I'm just used to it now and it's way off base. I'll post some screen shots through MPC-HC to show you the difference.

NM: I would have thought that MPC's screen caps on the 2 settings would show the differences but it doesn't.

I have the 50'', however, regardless of screen size, every panel is different. I in my case setting the color temp from warm 2 to 1 reduced the red push. Blues and greens look just fine. Raising the brightness to mid also reduced posterization with compressed content. As with Katzmier's calibration, my set works best with the gamma set at reference (2.2).

Ian

post #6774 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi guys, I just hooked up my brand new 60" S60 and I'm really happy with it. Blacks look amazing compared to my old Samsung 58C7000 (pink banded). Only issue is it's a bit reflective, but I have a pretty dark room so it's all good. 

I have a few questions though:

- what's the best way to break it in? I've been cautious not to play anything with black bars, can static watermarks cause an issue also?

- Is there a way to rearrange the folder settings in the video player? I have my HDD setup into folders so it's easy to find something, TV shows for example, but the S60 just shows me every video file on the HDD. Can't seem to organise it at all.

- is there a 'game mode' or some other setting for video gaming?

- any other tips?

Cheers!

post #6775 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrickard View Post

Hi guys, I just hooked up my brand new 60" S60 and I'm really happy with it. Blacks look amazing compared to my old Samsung 58C7000 (pink banded). Only issue is it's a bit reflective, but I have a pretty dark room so it's all good. 
- what's the best way to break it in? I've been cautious not to play anything with black bars, can static watermarks cause an issue also?
- Is there a way to rearrange the folder settings in the video player? I have my HDD setup into folders so it's easy to find something, TV shows for example, but the S60 just shows me every video file on the HDD. Can't seem to organise it at all.
- any other tips?

Cheers!

I don't believe there is a way to rearrange the folders. I arrange my video files on the flash drive. As far as break-in is concerned, this is a very subjective topic. Personally, I don't believe these sets need to be formally broken in. If they did, it would be mentioned in the owners manual. I've owned two plasmas and never had any IR problems. However, I do believe you should take certain precautions. I keep my brightness and contrast at reasonable levels and use the screen wash or watch plenty of full screen content after displaying letter boxing and bright static images, like sport tickers. There is no game mode and since I don't play games tongue.gif, I won't comment on that issue.smile.gif

Ian

post #6776 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM

UH OH!

So I got a refurbished S64 from Overstock a bit ago, turned it on the other day to THIS

Good news, I'm 7 days short of the 90 day warranty, so I guess they will try and fix it? (overstock still has to call me back with a decision)

From my google-ings it looks like a board issue, and can be fixed. if it can't they will issue a refund.

I hope it can be fixed because I really enjoy this set! anyone else have/seen this issue?

_______
~ Joe
post #6777 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrickard View Post

- any other tips?

Cheers!

No game mode needed. Set has great low input lag. Just dial in your preferred settings and game on.
post #6778 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Liked: 15
Which is the best HDMI content type? Off, Photo, or Graphic? I notice Photo looks more accurate but it's too blurry for me and is hard on the eyes. Graphic makes things a bit too sharp. If I could get Photo with more sharpness that would be best.

Also I'm noticing colors are bit over saturated (reds and greens), what are the best settings for those.
post #6779 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

However........

Are you kidding him?

These sets are no longer available or in production. They have the best picture quality.

I had mine posted on clist and was offered 2000.00 for a 50 inch s60

I turned it down. These sets are going up in value.
post #6780 of 7240 Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Are you kidding him?

These sets are no longer available or in production. They have the best picture quality.

I had mine posted on clist and was offered 2000.00 for a 50 inch s60

I turned it down. These sets are going up in value.
If that's true you're crazy not to take the deal. You could have upgraded to a 60/64" F8500 basically for free. Or even a 64H5000 and made $600 while getting a 14" bigger screen.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page