Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum
First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread
jasondjulian's Avatar jasondjulian 08:33 PM 05-17-2014
Yeah me either, I got no dimness going on here. This is 3 mins ago with a 17w fluorescent bias light and a 100w daylight torch lamp on the opposite wall. Cinema mode with custom settings, contrast at 86, brightness at 0 : sorry about the blur, it was a pic shot on the move.

mailiang's Avatar mailiang 09:55 PM 05-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Keep in mind the S60 doesn't get very bright -- it's kind of dim so far as displays go (even for a plasma). The ST60 gets quite a bit brighter. If you have CATS off, Power saving set to Standard, and Panel brightness set to Mid or High, then you have done about all you can do as far as increasing the brightness. That and raising the contrast setting as high as it will go (i.e. to 100, though mine doesn't get any brighter past about 90). I feel this set is at least 5 fL. short or what I would ideally want. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed and wish I would have sprung for the ST60.

The peak brightness of the ST60 is actually a hair lower then the S60, but it's ABL is less aggressive. When watching most broadcast or film content, there shouldn't be much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post

Yeah me either, I got no dimness going on here. This is 3 mins ago with a 17w fluorescent bias light and a 100w daylight torch lamp on the opposite wall. Cinema mode with custom settings, contrast at 86, brightness at 0 : sorry about the blur, it was a pic shot on the move.

Looks pretty bright to me. Like I posted earlier, it's not any dimmer then my older Panny.

Ian
rxj75's Avatar rxj75 12:14 AM 05-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

When i asked you to post your settings, that means actual numbers and settings details (Contrast: 87, Brightness: -3, Color: 28, Color Temp: Warm2, Black Level: Light, Panel Brightness: Mid, Gamma: 2.2 etc etc) which we need to know before making any assessments. You didn't really provide much useful info needed to help you.

But right off the bat setting your Contrast "in the middle" will make your screen way too dark. I just tried it on my ST60 and holy cow that screen got dark (mine is normally set to 85). And setting Brightness to "max" will wash the image out badly. The Contrast setting actually determines overall screen brightness (or darkness in your case), and the Brightness setting actually determines the actual black levels. Nobody runs their Contrast in the middle (50) nor does anybody run Brightness max'd out. That's just horrible.

Also, have you or have you not tried any of the Owners Settings posted by other owners within this thread? Some like Custom mode, others like Cinema mode (those are the only two good modes to use). They can get you in the ballpark immediately then you can tweak the various settings from there.

Sorry, I had the TV taken out completely and quoted some numbers out of my head.  

I put the TV back on.  The numbers are:

Picture mode:  Custom

Contrast: 70

Brightness: +8

Color: 70

Tint: 0

Sharpness: 50

Color temperature: Normal

Vivid: Off

C.A.T.S.: Off

Video Nr.: Off

MPEG Nr.: Off

Pro Settings:

Panel Brightness:  High

AGC: 7

Black Extension: 5

Color Gamut: Native

Advance Picture:

Black Level:  Light

ECO: Standard

Here are side by side img. comparison - top one TC-P55S60 - bottom one the older 50" 720p

It's the same image (PVR stopped), same room, same lighting (lights off), same exposure 1:60.

Thank you.

RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 07:18 AM 05-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxj75 View Post

Sorry, I had the TV taken out completely and quoted some numbers out of my head.  

Pro Settings:
Advance Picture:

Here are side by side img. comparison - top one TC-P55S60 - bottom one the older 50" 720p
It's the same image (PVR stopped), same room, same lighting (lights off), same exposure 1:60.

Thank you.

That definitely looks like you don't have Power saving set to 'Standard' in Eco Settings (in the setup menu). That and you need to raise the contrast to at least 80.
ToonMasterTim's Avatar ToonMasterTim 09:56 AM 05-19-2014
Quote:

Pro Settings:
Advance Picture:

Thank you.

So what did you do? Did you change the settings on the S60 to match what you have on the old plasma? That's probably not a good idea. In my opinion, you have several settings that should be changed. As some of the other members have said, Contrast at 70 is too low unless you like that for watching TV in absolute darkness. Most settings posted here are between 78-86 for that setting. Brightness just lightens the black levels, so crank that back down to 0. Panel Brightness shouldn't be more than Mid. Mid or Low is fine. Cranking it up isn't going to help brightness and you're going to introduce other problems. Basically, go to page one of this thread and try some of the settings posted there, or try CNET's. Someone even posted an Excel spreadsheet in this thread with the various recommended settings posted by members of the forums, so you can search for that, too.

One thing to caution you about. I have found that "HDMI/DVI RGB range" can be problematic for U-verse receivers, and it may apply to other TV service receivers. TV video sources should be on Standard, PC can be set to non-standard, but I found that Auto works best. And on Auto the TV prefer non-standard for the U-verse receiver. On Standard the blacks are crushed and you lose a lot of shadow detail. Now, that isn't the issue with your set. You entire picture is dark, and more likely due to the very low Contrast setting. The Cinema preset works very well. And actually, for brighter rooms, Home Theater is not bad either.
mtrot's Avatar mtrot 04:37 PM 05-19-2014
Quote:

Pro Settings:
Advance Picture:

Thank you.

As others have stated, for the brighter and bolder picture you seem to want, turn the Contrast up to at least 85, Brightness to the mid point, Color should be close to the mid point. You can leave the AGC at 7(but that does introduce some noise and shimmer in areas of solid colors on the screen), but I would turn the Black Extension off completely, or you are going to be crushing blacks and losing shadow detail.

Also, my 60ST60 replaced a Toshiba 50HP66 plasma from about 2009, and there is no way to get the Panny to match the bright, contrasty picture of the Toshiba. Maybe that's why it only lasted about 4 years!
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 09:34 PM 05-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Also, my 60ST60 replaced a Toshiba 50HP66 plasma from about 2009, and there is no way to get the Panny to match the bright, contrasty picture of the Toshiba. Maybe that's why it only lasted about 4 years!

confused.gif

Your Toshiba PDP's contrast was better then your ST60? Seriously? I find that very difficult to believe. It probably looked more like an LCD. tongue.gif

Ian
mtrot's Avatar mtrot 09:59 PM 05-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

confused.gif

Your Toshiba PDP's contrast was better then your ST60? Seriously? I find that very difficult to believe. It probably looked more like an LCD. tongue.gif

Ian

Yes, its effective contrast for general TV watching was greater. By that I mean that, because its white level was much higher, it produced a brighter, more contrasty image with more "pop" for general TV watching on channels such as ESPN. I am not questioning the superiority of the blacks on the ST60. There is a difference between absolute contrast levels and apparent contrast when watching your garden variety TV show in a typical family room.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 08:45 AM 05-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Yes, its effective contrast for general TV watching was greater. By that I mean that, because its white level was much higher, it produced a brighter, more contrasty image with more "pop" for general TV watching on channels such as ESPN. I am not questioning the superiority of the blacks on the ST60. There is a difference between absolute contrast levels and apparent contrast when watching your garden variety TV show in a typical family room.

I guess it's a matter of taste. I have a Toshiba LCD. It's pretty bright, surprisingly renders pretty good blacks (0.07 cd/m2) and am happy with its over all picture quality. However, even when watching broadcast content, including ball games, despite it's higher luminance levels, to my eyes, it's contrast and pop still can't compete with my S60. That being said, most experts usually recommend about 35 FTL's, under normal lighting conditions and I don't watch either set in a very bright room.

Ian
rxj75's Avatar rxj75 07:12 PM 05-20-2014

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.  

While the ECO might look like it's not in Standard mode, it is, unless the menu option says one thing but in fact it's something else.

Playing with the contrast more than 70, doesn't improve anything - it kind of gets to a point that no matter what you do, it won't give you more.

So, from what I can see, some people think it's not bright enough while others think it is.  I guess I'm in the "not bright enough" category.  In a way I'm happy I only spent $1000 on it and I didn't get to spend $4/5k for a VT/ZT model - if those were just as dark, I would've really been upset.

I guess with this one I can live with just watching movies, where it's a bit harder to tell that it's really dark, compared to watching sports.  This way, if in a couple of years the OLED panels drop in price a bit, I won't feel bad in changing it.

RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 07:41 PM 05-20-2014
Quote:

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.   While the ECO might look like it's not in Standard mode, it is, unless the menu option says one thing but in fact it's something else. Playing with the contrast more than 70, doesn't improve anything - it kind of gets to a point that no matter what you do, it won't give you more. So, from what I can see, some people think it's not bright enough while others think it is.  I guess I'm in the "not bright enough" category.  In a way I'm happy I only spent $1000 on it and I didn't get to spend $4/5k for a VT/ZT model - if those were just as dark, I would've really been upset.

Is your TV a floor model or a customer return or a refurbished set by any chance? The reason i ask it that the 55" S60 was discontinued last summer and the supply dried up right away so i'm thinking maybe the one you got last month was not brand new?

How many hours are on it? Did you happen to check the hours when you first got it?

I'm also thinking that maybe you should reset all the picture settings to factory default and start over, or even do a full factory reset to clear any possible faults in the software. Something doesn't sound right. The S60 is only a teensy bit dimmer than my ST60, but my ST60 is noteably brighter than my old 768p Panasonic and brighter than a few friends' 768p Panasonics so your S60 should be brighter than your own 768p Panasonics.
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 07:02 AM 05-21-2014
Quote:

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.  
While the ECO might look like it's not in Standard mode, it is, unless the menu option says one thing but in fact it's something else.
Playing with the contrast more than 70, doesn't improve anything - it kind of gets to a point that no matter what you do, it won't give you more.
So, from what I can see, some people think it's not bright enough while others think it is.  I guess I'm in the "not bright enough" category.  In a way I'm happy I only spent $1000 on it and I didn't get to spend $4/5k for a VT/ZT model - if those were just as dark, I would've really been upset.
I guess with this one I can live with just watching movies, where it's a bit harder to tell that it's really dark, compared to watching sports.  This way, if in a couple of years the OLED panels drop in price a bit, I won't feel bad in changing it.

What gamma setting are you using? I suggest lowering it a notch or two.
xx2000xx's Avatar xx2000xx 07:21 AM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

What gamma setting are you using? I suggest lowering it a notch or two.

Yeah, if it's at 2.6 that probably is the issue. Color Gamut: Native should be set to normal too but that won't affect your problems. I'd try out CNETS settings in Cinema mode and maybe test out warm1 instead of warm2 to see how you like it. Heck, it was too bright and a bit washed out for me so I tweaked it a bit and even moved it up to 2.4 instead of 2.2. I never got this whole dim picture debate and was never a massive issue when this forum was rocking. 80% of posters left now because they are satisfied with their TV and moved on. I also use a good bias light which does add a little pop to it. I use it mainly as a htpc so I can tweak settings in windows media player classic if need be and for browsing the web it's just fine.

I wonder if Fairchild still hits this board and his take on all of this. I think he got the VT and that's dimmer than this TV I believe. I think he said he was going to do another calibration one of these days again and I'd be curious to see what he comes up with but I'm satisfied with CNETS settings.
Cravit8's Avatar Cravit8 06:20 PM 05-21-2014
I think I put gamma to 2.2 or even 2.0 for gaming reasons.
Seemed to have a better effect than raising in-game brightness level.

TV will be ok at 2.0 right? Or no?
mphfrom77's Avatar mphfrom77 07:33 PM 05-21-2014
Crav, do you do that while using full / nonstandard rgb as well?
rxj75's Avatar rxj75 11:38 PM 05-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Is your TV a floor model or a customer return or a refurbished set by any chance? The reason i ask it that the 55" S60 was discontinued last summer and the supply dried up right away so i'm thinking maybe the one you got last month was not brand new?

How many hours are on it? Did you happen to check the hours when you first got it?

I'm also thinking that maybe you should reset all the picture settings to factory default and start over, or even do a full factory reset to clear any possible faults in the software. Something doesn't sound right. The S60 is only a teensy bit dimmer than my ST60, but my ST60 is noteably brighter than my old 768p Panasonic and brighter than a few friends' 768p Panasonics so your S60 should be brighter than your own 768p Panasonics.

It's supposed to be a brand new model.  It certainly looked new when I took it out of the box.  They probably had a few more in the warehouse - I don't think they were selling like hot cakes here in Canada.  I might've watched 100-200 hours on it.  I haven't done the software update cause I haven't connected it to the Internet.  I take it there's no place where I can see how many hours it was viewed?

It's all right, I guess sometimes it just so happens that you get a lemon...

I'm putting it in the basement where I'll only be watching only BluRay so it should be on the "acceptable" side.

I might try to get into the "manufacturer settings" which the technician used (if I can only figure out how)...  It's not like I care about the warranty anymore.

xenon9887's Avatar xenon9887 07:00 AM 05-22-2014
Quote:

It's supposed to be a brand new model.  It certainly looked new when I took it out of the box.  They probably had a few more in the warehouse - I don't think they were selling like hot cakes here in Canada.  I might've watched 100-200 hours on it.  I haven't done the software update cause I haven't connected it to the Internet.  I take it there's no place where I can see how many hours it was viewed?

I'm putting it in the basement where I'll only be watching only BluRay so it should be on the "acceptable" side.

I might try to get into the "manufacturer settings" which the technician used (if I can only figure out how)...  It's not like I care about the warranty anymore.

There is a place you can check. I believe it has been mentioned in the first post of this thread. We used to have to go into the service menu until someone here mentioned there was a quick way to check it using the built in menu's.
jasondjulian's Avatar jasondjulian 07:49 AM 05-22-2014

Menu, HELP, look at Status4 .. the first set of numbers are the hours the tv has operated. 

ToonMasterTim's Avatar ToonMasterTim 08:09 AM 05-22-2014
Right there in jasondjulian's signature is a link to the Excel spreadsheet with the various picture settings that some of the members have posted. I suggest you reset the TV back to factory, or at the very least, reset all picture settings on Cinema, then start trying out the settings until you find one that is close to what you desire. Then tweak it. See how those settings compare to what you have now. Your TV seems incredibly dim. I have a 65" S64 and it is plenty bright, and larger TVs are sometimes dimmer than smaller ones, I've read. Look at the pictures of TVs in this thread and you'll see that they can be pretty bright. There are also some videos on YouTube you can check out.
Cravit8's Avatar Cravit8 10:16 PM 05-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Crav, do you do that while using full / nonstandard rgb as well?

Had to look at the settings tonight.
Settled on Cinema, 2.2 gamma, full non-standard RGB. Haven't had a reason it tweak it from that for gaming.
jasondjulian's Avatar jasondjulian 05:52 AM 05-27-2014

Had to watch a 27" JVC Tube tv over the weekend from 12' away... came home to a beautiful 55" plasma 9-11' from my seat... 

You really begin to appreciate these displays once you're forced to watch "the old stuff" for a while. 

I cant read the small text at the bottom of the screen on shows like Pawn Stars, or America Unearthed... colors seem dim and dead... you think glare is bad on an unfiltered S60?  Try watching a curved glass tube with a giant bay window opposite it. 

Just makes me glad that the S60 performs as well as it does... still impressed, 1100 hours later.

xenon9887's Avatar xenon9887 07:06 AM 05-27-2014
Quote:

Had to watch a 27" JVC Tube tv over the weekend from 12' away... came home to a beautiful 55" plasma 9-11' from my seat... 

You really begin to appreciate these displays once you're forced to watch "the old stuff" for a while. 

I cant read the small text at the bottom of the screen on shows like Pawn Stars, or America Unearthed... colors seem dim and dead... you think glare is bad on an unfiltered S60?  Try watching a curved glass tube with a giant bay window opposite it. 

Just makes me glad that the S60 performs as well as it does... still impressed, 1100 hours later.

Had to do the same a few weeks ago. Was hanging out with a buddy and we had to go back to his parents house to help out with some heavy lifting. During this work we decided to leave a baseball game going on the TV in their basement for a little background colour commentary to listen to. During a break we sat down an actually watched a bit of the game. This was on a 27" Sony Trinitron tube set circa 2000 or so. Awful.

Love my s60 smile.gif
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 12:32 PM 05-27-2014
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Had to do the same a few weeks ago. Was hanging out with a buddy and we had to go back to his parents house to help out with some heavy lifting. During this work we decided to leave a baseball game going on the TV in their basement for a little background colour commentary to listen to. During a break we sat down an actually watched a bit of the game. This was on a 27" Sony Trinitron tube set circa 2000 or so. Awful.

Love my s60 smile.gif

Wow, you guys are spoiled! tongue.gif I have a 20'' Panasonic CRT in my home office. I spend a lot of time in this room and occasionally watch sports and other programming on it via my DTV DVR. (I have a DVR for each TV). Most prime time viewing is done on my S60. Although you can't compare these two sets, for a SD TV, my like new CRT, offers what I would consider 'decent' picture quality.

Ian
ChadThunder's Avatar ChadThunder 01:25 PM 05-27-2014
Quote:

The technician might have raised the V-Sustain or nudged the all_drive parameter a touch higher, if you want help with that I'm sure there is an owner who can help you but service menu talk must be through private messages

What Panasonic did you have before? the 50PX600/PH9 are very bright and one of the most clearest and superb plasmas ever made, Fujitsu was using their glass back then to make the Aviamo III
rxj75's Avatar rxj75 10:26 PM 05-27-2014
Quote:

Menu, HELP, look at Status4 .. the first set of numbers are the hours the tv has operated. 

Checked - got 167 hours on it - so it was brand new when it came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post

The technician might have raised the V-Sustain or nudged the all_drive parameter a touch higher, if you want help with that I'm sure there is an owner who can help you but service menu talk must be through private messages

What Panasonic did you have before? the 50PX600/PH9 are very bright and one of the most clearest and superb plasmas ever made, Fujitsu was using their glass back then to make the Aviamo III

I have one of these lovely models (42px60u):

which I didn't realize it's from 2006...  wow - it's been that long...

I also have a 50" from '09/'10...  can't remember what the exact model number it is...

xenon9887's Avatar xenon9887 07:26 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Wow, you guys are spoiled! tongue.gif I have a 20'' Panasonic CRT in my home office. I spend a lot of time in this room and occasionally watch sports and other programming on it via my DTV DVR. (I have a DVR for each TV). Most prime time viewing is done on my S60. Although you can't compare these two sets, for a SD TV, my like new CRT, offers what I would consider 'decent' picture quality.

Ian

The picture itself isn't as bad as I made it sound, it was more the fact that all the broadcasters pretty much expect you to have an HD 16:9 set. Reading the score tickers and other smaller text on the screen was difficult to say that least. Even reading jersey numbers on anything but a closeup shot was also not.... ideal let's say.
ChadThunder's Avatar ChadThunder 07:56 AM 05-28-2014
Quote:

Checked - got 167 hours on it - so it was brand new when it came.

I have one of these lovely models (42px60u):

which I didn't realize it's from 2006...  wow - it's been that long...
I also have a 50" from '09/'10...  can't remember what the exact model number it is...

Yep thats the same set but the 50PX600U is the 1366x768 version and is suppose to have better video processing, that was back when manufacturers did not have such strict power and material budgets as we have today, you can only imagine what plasma would look like without all the cheapness of todays sets.
mailiang's Avatar mailiang 02:43 PM 05-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Reading the score tickers and other smaller text on the screen was difficult to say that least. Even reading jersey numbers on anything but a closeup shot was also not.... ideal let's say.

That's probably because it's not a Panasonic!

Ian biggrin.gif
fireforce's Avatar fireforce 01:08 AM 05-29-2014

Anybody have any luck with connecting a self-powered USB Portable Hard Drive to the S60?

I've tried a 500 GB USB 3.0 portable drive that needs 500mA of power to start, but I don't think it's getting enough power from the TV's USB port.

Has anybody has tried using a "USB 3.0 y-cable" with a newer smaller USB portable hard drives to see if that works?  

Product Details 

mailiang's Avatar mailiang 08:41 AM 05-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireforce View Post

Anybody have any luck with connecting a self-powered USB Portable Hard Drive to the S60?

I've tried a 500 GB USB 3.0 portable drive that needs 500mA of power to start, but I don't think it's getting enough power from the TV's USB port.

Has anybody has tried using a "USB 3.0 y-cable" with a newer smaller USB portable hard drives to see if that works?  

41C4R94a9JL._AA160_.jpg 

I believe the USB ports are designed specifically for flash type drives.

Ian
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
First ... 230  231  232 233  234  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop