Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 7187 Old 06-05-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ill leave this as the last post in this thread since we're going waay off topic for this thread. I am a gamer so I suppose the F5300 is really the only choice aside from the much more expensive F8500. I refuse to buy LED as they are much too expensive for what you get. I'm looking in the 50" range anyway so pentile wont be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7187 Old 06-05-2014, 07:29 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154
FWIW, Sears Outlet is still showing about two dozen new-in-box 50S60's at various locations around the US. Most are priced at ~$650. They probably won't ship to other locations though, since the product is discontinued. So you might have to do some drivin. (The closest one to me is about 200 miles away.)

The 50" S60 won't fit into a Yaris in the box btw. FWIW, I owned a 3-door 2009 Yaris, which is probably a tad roomier than the current models, and was able to fit just the panel alone in between the front and back seats, without much difficulty, so it could be transported upright (which is recommended). Can't guarantee it'll be as easy with the newer Yaris models, but there's a pretty good chance it would still fit. The Sammy 51F5300 panel also fit the '09 Yaris btw, even though it's a tad larger.

I had both TVs set up in my house side by-side for several weeks, and there wasn't really a clear-cut winner between the two in my book. Both TVs had their pros and cons, so it's probably just a matter of personal choice.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 06-12-2014 at 12:10 AM.
post #7023 of 7187 Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

I had both TVs set up in my house side by-side for several weeks, and there wasn't really a clear-cut winner between the two in my book. Both TVs had their pros and cons, so it's probably just a matter of personal choice.

Both the S60 and F5300 are outstanding budget plasmas and each offer their own unique qualities no doubt. I spent about four hours with my brother's 51F5300 and was very impressed. There is no LCD in these price ranges that can touch either of these displays.

post #7024 of 7187 Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Both the S60 and F5300 are outstanding budget plasmas and each offer their own unique qualities no doubt. I spent about four hours with my brother's 51F5300 and was very impressed. There is no LCD in these price ranges that can touch either of these displays.

I agree completely. I have two U50's which have the same picture as the S60, and I have had the 64" F5500. The Samsung is brighter with punchier colors but the Panasonic has better black levels.
post #7025 of 7187 Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Liked: 17
Sadly, those S60s that show in stock as "new" are just display models. I called a half dozen stores in my area and they were all display model or already gone.

Puts me at ease you feel they're comparable, though. I'll just pick up the F5300 and stop torturing myself by comparing every little detail. The question now is whether I should spring for the 64" since Walmart has it on sale for $999. Sears has the 51" for $576 after tax. Decisions, decisions. This was originally suupose to be a gaming TV for my bedroom. Now, I'm considering going big in my living room and putting my 50" Panny G20 in my bedroom. #1stWorldProblems
MilkManX likes this.
post #7026 of 7187 Old 06-06-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post

Sadly, those S60s that show in stock as "new" are just display models. I called a half dozen stores in my area and they were all display model or already gone.

Puts me at ease you feel they're comparable, though. I'll just pick up the F5300 and stop torturing myself by comparing every little detail. The question now is whether I should spring for the 64" since Walmart has it on sale for $999. Sears has the 51" for $576 after tax. Decisions, decisions. This was originally suupose to be a gaming TV for my bedroom. Now, I'm considering going big in my living room and putting my 50" Panny G20 in my bedroom. #1stWorldProblems

If the living room and your budget support the 64", get it. That's over 50% more screen real estate compared to the 51".

post #7027 of 7187 Old 06-06-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
$999 is a great deal for the 64" F5300.
post #7028 of 7187 Old 06-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Vacation

So far after having the set since the middle of last year, it's been great, and my guests have all complimented on how nice it looks. I have the S64. The only think that's been slightly irritating is what seems an over anxious ABL that seems to kick in at random intervals while watching a hockey game. I never noticed it that often before, but with it being playoff time, thus a majority of my viewing time, regardless of channel, the ABL seems to constantly be making slight adjustments, sometimes almost producing a "flickering" effect (not sure if this is the right word). It's really noticeable too, and its really the only complaint about an otherwise great set. Has anyone seen this or noticed this?

ABL is pretty much instantaneously in effect. Because of this, during quick pans you can get rapid fluctuations of brightness. For example you have the camera panning down the ice, but with dark crowd around the edges. As it pans, the amount of dark vs light in the screen can rapidly change, causing this flickering.

If you watch any racing you can clearly see this at times when the camera is a first person driver cam. Just the simple red/white changes of the curbs will can cause the screen to flicker like mad.

In following up to this, I'm not convinced that it's actually the TV that's doing it. I think its either the broadcast or the cable box, as when I was out for dinner and the Stanley Cup Finals were on, I noticed the flickering, but only during the game. I should have taken note of the TV, but I know it wasn't a Panasonic S60 or S64.
post #7029 of 7187 Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with my Viera TC-P50S60 the last few days, and I can't find any reference to it online anywhere. I'm hoping someone on here may have an idea of what my problem is, and what I can do to fix it. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else, or if there is another, more appropriate thread to post this in - I'm new to this forum, and only came across it in my search for an answer.

I'm experiencing some kind of motion smoothing or speedup issue. It APPEARS that things are moving "too fast" on my screen. The first time I noticed it, I thought that perhaps the BD I was watching was actually playing a file derived from a PAL source or something. It felt like that kind of barely-perceptible increase in speed. But then I noticed it on the next disc I played, and the next. After comparing certain scenes available on youtube, however, I don't think anything is actually being sped up. It just gives the impression that it is, if that makes any sense. This seems to be something like "motion smoothing" or "the soap opera effect" as I've seen it referred to elsewhere. The problem is, that this model TV supposedly doesn't offer that option.

I'm certain the issue is with the TV, as I notice the issue on BDs and DVDs played on both my PS3 and Seiki players (connected via HDMI), as well as Netflix accessed through both my PS3 and Wii (the Wii is connected via component).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've updated the firmware on the TV, I've reset the settings to the factory default, and I've tweaked every setting I can find, and nothing seems to help. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
post #7030 of 7187 Old 06-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with my Viera TC-P50S60 the last few days, and I can't find any reference to it online anywhere. I'm hoping someone on here may have an idea of what my problem is, and what I can do to fix it. I'm sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else, or if there is another, more appropriate thread to post this in - I'm new to this forum, and only came across it in my search for an answer.

I'm experiencing some kind of motion smoothing or speedup issue. It APPEARS that things are moving "too fast" on my screen. The first time I noticed it, I thought that perhaps the BD I was watching was actually playing a file derived from a PAL source or something. It felt like that kind of barely-perceptible increase in speed. But then I noticed it on the next disc I played, and the next. After comparing certain scenes available on youtube, however, I don't think anything is actually being sped up. It just gives the impression that it is, if that makes any sense. This seems to be something like "motion smoothing" or "the soap opera effect" as I've seen it referred to elsewhere. The problem is, that this model TV supposedly doesn't offer that option.

I'm certain the issue is with the TV, as I notice the issue on BDs and DVDs played on both my PS3 and Seiki players (connected via HDMI), as well as Netflix accessed through both my PS3 and Wii (the Wii is connected via component).

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I've updated the firmware on the TV, I've reset the settings to the factory default, and I've tweaked every setting I can find, and nothing seems to help. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
The s60/s64 does not support any kind of motion interpolation, so there is really no way to have that happen.

Thats really all I can say, I hope you are able to find a solution to your issue.

Cheers
post #7031 of 7187 Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Is it possible what you are seeing is judder?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7032 of 7187 Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The s60/s64 does not support any kind of motion interpolation, so there is really no way to have that happen.

Thats really all I can say, I hope you are able to find a solution to your issue.

Cheers
So far that's been my understanding. I've looked at some videos on youtube demonstrating the effects of motion interpolation on a film, and that looks pretty close to what I'm seeing. I can't explain it. If some part of the tv machinery was broken or faulty, say if something was wrong with the video processor, is it possible that something resembling motion interpolation could occur? This is what I've been finding so frustrating - everything I've read, and all the options within the tv indicates that this shouldn't happen - and yet it is, I swear.

I've also looked at some videos of judder, and that's not what I'm experiencing.

Thanks for the feedback, though. And if anybody else has any idea of what could be causing this, please let me know.
post #7033 of 7187 Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM

I'm such a dunce - I misread the label on the back of my tv - the model I actually have is the TC-P50S30. Given this, does my current problem make sense to anyone? According to some spec info I've found, this version supports something called intelligent frame creation. but i don't see an option for that anywhere in my settings. does anyone have any idea how to turn this off?

(I realize that this now means I'm in the wrong thread - I'll also go look to see if a Panasonic S30 thread exists)
post #7034 of 7187 Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I'm such a dunce - I misread the label on the back of my tv - the model I actually have is the TC-P50S30. Given this, does my current problem make sense to anyone? According to some spec info I've found, this version supports something called intelligent frame creation. but i don't see an option for that anywhere in my settings. does anyone have any idea how to turn this off?

(I realize that this now means I'm in the wrong thread - I'll also go look to see if a Panasonic S30 thread exists)
Intelligent Frame Creation would be your issue as this is exactly what causes the Soap Opera Effect, so certainly turn it off. It is usually in the advanced picture settings menus somewhere.

Cheers.
post #7035 of 7187 Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:

Here's the S30 series settings thread:

Panasonic S30 Series (NOT ST) Picture Settings

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #7036 of 7187 Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TH-P60S60M - Break-in Settings

Hi, a little help plz.

I just got the TH-P60S60M, when comparing to TC-P60S60 specs are similar. I've been reading/searching for break-in settings but can't seem to find it.

I used to own a TH-50PX75U when I was living in Canada, and it was easier to find the break-in and post 100-300hrs settings.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neil
post #7037 of 7187 Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpatel007 View Post
Hi, a little help plz.

I just got the TH-P60S60M, when comparing to TC-P60S60 specs are similar. I've been reading/searching for break-in settings but can't seem to find it.

I used to own a TH-50PX75U when I was living in Canada, and it was easier to find the break-in and post 100-300hrs settings.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Neil
The 'M' is just the designation. I assume you bought this TV outside the US? Regardless, it's the same set. These new TV's do not require any formal type of break-in. If they did, it would be noted in the owners manual. That being said, make sure you stay away from the vivid mode and the TV is set up properly. See CNET setting recommendations below. Also, after watching letter box content or static images, use the screen wash or watch plenty of full screen content, especially for the first 200 hours or so.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7038 of 7187 Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The 'M' is just the designation. I assume you bought this TV outside the US? Regardless, it's the same set. These new TV's do not require any formal type of break-in. If they did, it would be noted in the owners manual. That being said, make sure you stay away from the vivid mode and the TV is set up properly. See CNET setting recommendations below. Also, after watching letter box content or static images, use the screen wash or watch plenty of full screen content, especially for the first 200 hours or so.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/

Ian
Yes, I'm in the African region. Thanks for the suggestions Ian.
post #7039 of 7187 Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Does this series support Dolby / DTS out through the optical port? All I'm getting is PCM currently.

Hopefully someone can answer this, recently bought the 65" version and have been trying to find an answer. The manual seems to indicate that this is possible but I haven't found a solution yet.
post #7040 of 7187 Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutchos View Post
Does this series support Dolby / DTS out through the optical port? All I'm getting is PCM currently.

Hopefully someone can answer this, recently bought the 65" version and have been trying to find an answer. The manual seems to indicate that this is possible but I haven't found a solution yet.
It will not output Dolby / DTS when using external sources (like a cable box or Blu-Ray player), but it will if you're watching through the TVs internal tuner and i think through the apps too. But not anything connected to the TV via HDMI.
Nutchos likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #7041 of 7187 Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
It will not output Dolby / DTS when using external sources (like a cable box or Blu-Ray player), but it will if you're watching through the TVs internal tuner and i think through the apps too. But not anything connected to the TV via HDMI.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'm shopping for a new receiver then (one with HDMI).
post #7042 of 7187 Old 06-26-2014, 01:48 PM

Off topic but this new look is awful.

Carry on
mailiang and MilkManX like this.
post #7043 of 7187 Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Unhappy

Quote:
Off topic but this new look is awful.

Carry on
Agreed x10000000
post #7044 of 7187 Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Liked: 71
^ Agreed x50,000,000,000

I actually find myself not frequenting the forum as much as I used to now. Which is sad.. But I have a VERY hard time with the new appearance and format.. visually and navigationally.
mailiang and MilkManX like this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7045 of 7187 Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
^ Agreed x50,000,000,000

I actually find myself not frequenting the forum as much as I used to now. Which is sad.. But I have a VERY hard time with the new appearance and format.. visually and navigationally.
Maybe you or someone else can help. Where is the new post indicator now? Before there was a really easy to see indicator that would say "6 Unread Posts" and you could click it and jump straight to the firs unread post.
post #7046 of 7187 Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Maybe you or someone else can help. Where is the new post indicator now? Before there was a really easy to see indicator that would say "6 Unread Posts" and you could click it and jump straight to the firs unread post.
There is a little v-shaped chevron symbol directly to the left of the thread title if there are any new unread posts in that thread. Click on that and it'll take you to the first unread post.

I middle-click on it which opens it in a new Firefox Tab.

Randy

Gallery -
post #7047 of 7187 Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
There is a little v-shaped chevron symbol directly to the left of the thread title if there are any new unread posts in that thread. Click on that and it'll take you to the first unread post.

I middle-click on it which opens it in a new Firefox Tab.
I believe he means the green indicator that popped up while viewing a thread. As far as I can tell, that feature is gone now. Too bad because I found it useful over using the refresh button in my browser to check.
post #7048 of 7187 Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I believe he means the green indicator that popped up while viewing a thread. As far as I can tell, that feature is gone now. Too bad because I found it useful over using the refresh button in my browser to check.
To be 100% clear, I grabbed a screenshot of what I am talking about from a overclocker.net thread I frequent.

post #7049 of 7187 Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Liked: 71
Does anyone know what types of changes are permissible through the S60's Service Menu?

I am not recommending nor contemplating accessing this menu, but out of curiosity, what sort of items does it control?

Voltages to the phosphors? Processing rates/speeds for image movement? Overclock/Underclock settings for microprocessors inside the unit?

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7050 of 7187 Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Max supported resolution?

Can anyone confirm that the S60 does not support 1920x1200?

I have the TC-P50S60 and wanted to send it mirrored signal of a computer monitor that is 1920x1200. All I got was "no signal". If I switch the computer output to 1920x1080 (still with the same hardware chain) everything works fine (except that my computer monitor is all scaled, distorted an ugly).

I was dismayed that there is no list of supported resolutions and frequencies in the user manual or anywhere. I guess they threw out that section along with VGA connections. HDMI 1.0 and above easily supports 1920x1200, it's a matter of implementation. Some TV's can do it just fine, I thought that a modern set like this would be able to handle it.

(PS I'm aware of the burn-in risk when running plasmas as computer monitors. I don't leave it on unless I'm playing out full-screen video.)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page