Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 240 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I had my eye on the M Series last year, but the Panny caught my attention, and for the price at 65", I jumped. The M Series still has common LCD issues (i.e., the flashlighting, for example), but it produces a good picture and has good aesthetics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fairchild settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I had my eye on the M Series last year, but the Panny caught my attention, and for the price at 65", I jumped. The M Series still has common LCD issues (i.e., the flashlighting, for example), but it produces a good picture and has good aesthetics.
can somebody tell me in which page we have fairchild latest settings for s60
Old 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouresh View Post
can somebody tell me in which page we have fairchild latest settings for s60
I believe it was post 1528, but they are outdated. I will send you the excel spreadsheet
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
s60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
I believe it was post 1528, but they are outdated. I will send you the excel spreadsheet
my email:mass_suresh@hotmail.com
Old 09-22-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by traps View Post
I bought a LG PB6650 60 inch tv and then found a P50S60 for $499 at Sears Outlet new in box. I returned my LG and got the S60. Less screen area but much better picture so all in all no regrets. If you are interested I suggest checking Sears Outlet they still have some New in box Panasonic Plasmas (varies from area to area).
Is PB6650 that bad? I was looking to get one.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonkennedy View Post
Is PB6650 that bad? I was looking to get one.
Picture dynamics are usually not LG's strong suit. I haven't been able to find the numbers on this particular set, but not to my surprise, the contrast and black levels on the similar B6600 are very mediocre. http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science. You may want to consider the much better Samsung F5300 series instead.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yesterday my TC-P42s60 made a loud popping noise and went blank. When plugged in, it now emits 3 or 4 LED blinks. The set was manufactured in Jan 2013 and purchased in August 2013. It was working just fine till this point. I have ordered a replacement part and will likely take it into the local repair shop. But I'm not sure it's worth it...well, actually I hope it is since the TV is so awesome. Any thoughts?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtbergquist View Post
Yesterday my TC-P42s60 made a loud popping noise and went blank. When plugged in, it now emits 3 or 4 LED blinks. The set was manufactured in Jan 2013 and purchased in August 2013. It was working just fine till this point. I have ordered a replacement part and will likely take it into the local repair shop. But I'm not sure it's worth it...well, actually I hope it is since the TV is so awesome. Any thoughts?
The TV is close enough to the warranty period that it may still be covered. Unless the set requires a new panel, you probably have nothing to be concerned about. I would contact Panasonic before doing anything.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 09-23-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
What is 'flashlighting' ??
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb Flashlighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post

http://www.rtings.com/info/black-uni...-flashlighting

Ian

Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Ian provided a great link that shows how this manifests in content. It drove me to buy a plasma. I just couldn't stand the constant glow from the corners of my edge-lit LED when watching movies that had the black bars. And even during full-screen 16:9 content I would notice the corners were lighter than the rest of the screen.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^ agreed. My father-in-law bought a 2012 Samsung D4000 series LED LCD.. he picked that one because the panel was actually black instead of off-black/grey, for better picture ya know.

Problem is that the lower corners flashlight so bad I really cant watch his tv if its a dark show or one that has letterbox bars on it. Colors and motion are very good on his tv, crisp clear image. But the black levels and flashlighting make me want to vomit. I go home and sit in front of my 55s60 and am BLOWN AWAY by the difference.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Post FALD is a better alternative

Quote:
Ian provided a great link that shows how this manifests in content. It drove me to buy a plasma. I just couldn't stand the constant glow from the corners of my edge-lit LED when watching movies that had the black bars. And even during full-screen 16:9 content I would notice the corners were lighter than the rest of the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
^ agreed. My father-in-law bought a 2012 Samsung D4000 series LED LCD.. he picked that one because the panel was actually black instead of off-black/grey, for better picture ya know.

Problem is that the lower corners flashlight so bad I really cant watch his tv if its a dark show or one that has letterbox bars on it. Colors and motion are very good on his tv, crisp clear image. But the black levels and flashlighting make me want to vomit. I go home and sit in front of my 55s60 and am BLOWN AWAY by the difference.

Unfortunately these issues are difficult to see in overly bright environments when these TV's are on display. Manufacturers like Vizio and Toshiba are currently offering FALD sets even for those on a budget. Although they don't offer the same PQ and black level uniformity as most plasmas, you can now avoid edge lit LED LCD's without burning a hole in your pocket.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 09-24-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am looking for a plasma tv for.my movies viewing. Which one is better with movies the samsunv pn51f5300 or the panasonicModel:TC-PS60 50"? Thankz
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
I am looking for a plasma tv for.my movies viewing. Which one is better with movies the samsunv pn51f5300 or the panasonicModel:TC-PS60 50"? Thankz
Assuming you're getting the PN51F5300"B"FXZA, both models have comparable PQ. (The original 'A' version is fairly behind the Panny, the new 'B' revision is not) The S60 will have edge in keeping ANSI contrast ratio while the F5300 will have advantage in ABL/brightness. The F5300 suffers more from reflections though. The F5300 also has an risk with a pink tinting. The S60 is has more grains and noise because of dithering.

When everything is said and done, it's pretty much a tie for both models. You will not be having a buyer's remorse just because you picked one over the other, both are great sets for movies!
Old 09-25-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
Assuming you're getting the PN51F5300"B"FXZA, both models have comparable PQ. (The original 'A' version is fairly behind the Panny, the new 'B' revision is not) The S60 will have edge in keeping ANSI contrast ratio while the F5300 will have advantage in ABL/brightness. The F5300 suffers more from reflections though. The F5300 also has an risk with a pink tinting. The S60 is has more grains and noise because of dithering.

When everything is said and done, it's pretty much a tie for both models. You will not be having a buyer's remorse just because you picked one over the other, both are great sets for movies!
Thank you. The reason i asked because some one from my local area selling his ps5o for 600 used. And i can get the samsjng 51 for the same price brand new. So if they are both the same goos for.movies i will just get the samsung. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Thank you. The reason i asked because some one from my local area selling his ps5o for 600 used. And i can get the samsjng 51 for the same price brand new. So if they are both the same goos for.movies i will just get the samsung. Thanks again.
And if you can get the 51 inch one for $600, why not spend $50~$100 more and go up to the 60 inch pentile model? The 60 inch F5300B is being sold at a killer price. Too bad about its pink tinting though...

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com