Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 241 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7201 of 7267 Old 11-02-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 6078 hrs. on mine,how about you guys?

+1 on a copy of the newer settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7202 of 7267 Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well, the old sharp acquos LCD started to have multiple lines on the left and right sides; so, the hunt was on. i had intended to get a plasma prior to this, but waited too long and seemingly missed the boat on being able to find a ST or a VT for a "reasonable price" (for the time being...the hunt continues). i was then steered to a F8500, but really didn't want to deal with the buzzing issue.

started looking at what was on available on CL and saw some S60s available and then read through just about this entire thread. i found a 50" s60 with 714 viewing hours on it for $480 and snatched it up. love the pic, colors etc. i do wish it had more HDMI inputs - not a deal breaker at all. there is a bit of an issue with the glossy front glass for my living room as i do have some large windows to one side, but i knew that going in and had the tv earmarked for the bedroom in the back of my mind anyway. i can see why some would prefer a s64; beggers can't be choosy in these times of limited plasma availablity though. overall, i'm blown away by what i got for the price.

thesharkman
MilkManX likes this.
post #7203 of 7267 Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Hi Ian! Good link.

I checked their rating on the S60. Sure am glad I got mine when I did!!!!

The blacks on the S60 are better than my GT25.
post #7204 of 7267 Old 11-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkman View Post
started looking at what was on available on CL and saw some S60s available and then read through just about this entire thread. i found a 50" s60 with 714 viewing hours on it for $480 and snatched it up. love the pic, colors etc. i do wish it had more HDMI inputs - not a deal breaker at all. there is a bit of an issue with the glossy front glass for my living room as i do have some large windows to one side, but i knew that going in and had the tv earmarked for the bedroom in the back of my mind anyway. i can see why some would prefer a s64; beggers can't be choosy in these times of limited plasma availablity though. overall, i'm blown away by what i got for the price.

thesharkman
Welcome to the S60 club! That was a great find, and a good deal, for sure. Finding one with so few hours usage is a bit of a surprise. It could have been a secondary TV. At any rate, it's yours now and you get to enjoy the benefits of excellent picture quality.

The limited number of HDMI inputs is easily remedied with an HDMI switch. I bought a cheap one from Amazon that doesn't require external power and auto-switches based on which device is powered on. It's a three-port switch, which effectively gives me four ports for my equipment, which is sufficient.Here's the one I bought. It's now less than $5!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #7205 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the TC P50S60 and My gaming experience is TERRIBLE ! HORRIBLE !!

I have an Xbox 360 and In my entire life I didn't have a so bad experience : the Aliasing iI have the TC P50S60 and My gaming experience is terrible ! Horrible !!

I have an Xbox 360 and In my entire life I didn't have a so bad experience : the Aliasing is so important that is give me headache after playing...
I m so frustrated and i préfère to stop playing.

I did all the modifications or calibrations I could. I change the cable ( hdmi and vga) 3 times.
The problem is not resolved.

I would like to know if there is other persons who having the same problem?

I do NOT recommend that TV if you want to play video games.
Very bad choice for me...s so important that is give me headache after playing...

I did all the modifications or calibrations I could. I change the cable ( hdmi and vga) 3 times.

Very bad choice for me...
post #7206 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 278
^new user with 1 post.
...for those on tapatalk/mobile.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7207 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philio View Post
Could I have a copy of that file as well please?

Do most prefer his settings to others available?

PM me your email address.
post #7208 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You sure you got the right TV model? My p50s60 has no VGA. I run my 360 via Component and its great and my Xbox ONE on HDMI and its great. Have you calibrated it yet with something like Disneys WOW disc or the Free one here at AVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboyy View Post

I have an Xbox 360 and In my entire life I didn't have a so bad experience : the Aliasing iI have the TC P50S60 and My gaming experience is terrible ! Horrible !!

I have an Xbox 360 and In my entire life I didn't have a so bad experience : the Aliasing is so important that is give me headache after playing...

Very bad choice for me...s so important that is give me headache after playing...

post #7209 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
You sure you got the right TV model? My p50s60 has no VGA. I run my 360 via Component and its great and my Xbox ONE on HDMI and its great. Have you calibrated it yet with something like Disneys WOW disc or the Free one here at AVS?
Hello,

It wasn't VGA cable but component, sorry for the mistake.

So yes i'm sur to have this model... :/

And the problem happen only during game play. It's so terrible...

I saw and try a lot of calibrations...

Wich one do you think I should try ?

Do you have the same model ? When you re playing on xbox360 , you didnt see any Aliasing ?

Thanks
post #7210 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
PM me your email address.
i don't have enough posts to send you a PM. can you host it on google drive or onedrive please?
post #7211 of 7267 Old 11-07-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
i don't have enough posts to send you a PM. can you host it on google drive or onedrive please?

http://1drv.ms/1vXHCVq

That should link to it. Hope that helps everyone. I have it as view only.
post #7212 of 7267 Old 11-08-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I saw and try a lot of calibrations...
Really now?
This is a science tech site and will be over your head if you think you tried calibrations.
You probably have the "format" set to zoom by accident or something. Look on top right of your controller and check your typing before rage posting on here about a TV with 5-star reviews.

post #7213 of 7267 Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

The S60 is a 1080p TV and the Xbox360 is a 640p~720p console, what did you expect? Of course the scaling is nasty. It's not just this TV. I used to own a 1080p Sony LCD and my PS3 looked ass too. Either pony up on an external video processor or just get a 720p TV. Out of all the negative things I can say about my S64 about gaming, (ABL,phosphor trailing,banding/line bleeding) pixel clarity is NOT one of them. Native 1080p games look stunning and just as detailed as my previous Sony LCD.
post #7214 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
http://1drv.ms/1vXHCVq

That should link to it. Hope that helps everyone. I have it as view only.
Thank you so much! Really appreciated.

Which calibration do you prefer? I applied the Fairchild Custom and Cinema calibrations. I tend to prefer the Cinema with no calibration hours specified in the spreadsheet.
post #7215 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much! Really appreciated.

Which calibration do you prefer? I applied the Fairchild Custom and Cinema calibrations. I tend to prefer the Cinema with no calibration hours specified in the spreadsheet.
I think mine is at the 2200+ settings. I would have to check. I bought mine with about 2300 hours on it so I just followed the recommendation. It looks stunning with it so I left it alone.
post #7216 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
^ since this spreadsheet is an expanded version of the one I created, I'm going to chime in as well....

I am using the 2200+ settings as well, I have around 1900 hours currently and have been using those settings since around 1000 hours.

Lately, I have been noticing some black crush... perhaps my black levels dropped. ??? I dont know for sure, but the blacks are pretty dang black.

I may try some of the other settings on the new spreadsheet, or modify the settings I have now.. will report back with what I find.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7217 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 05:35 PM

thanks
post #7218 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Really now?
This is a science tech site and will be over your head if you think you tried calibrations.
You probably have the "format" set to zoom by accident or something. Look on top right of your controller and check your typing before rage posting on here about a TV with 5-star reviews.
Haha , no the format is correct. Thanks anyway
post #7219 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
The S60 is a 1080p TV and the Xbox360 is a 640p~720p console, what did you expect? Of course the scaling is nasty. It's not just this TV. I used to own a 1080p Sony LCD and my PS3 looked ass too. Either pony up on an external video processor or just get a 720p TV. Out of all the negative things I can say about my S64 about gaming, (ABL,phosphor trailing,banding/line bleeding) pixel clarity is NOT one of them. Native 1080p games look stunning and just as detailed as my previous Sony LCD.
The xbox360 support 1080p.
Even when I change for 720p ou lower, the aliasing is still here. At each mouvment of the camera it seems that every light/stairs/etc is moving too... Really bad gaming experience.

I should take a video...
post #7220 of 7267 Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
The xbox360 support 1080p.
..Through scaling, NOT rendering.

No need to record a video, I ALREADY know. It's like buying a 4K TV and complaining why Xbox One games look crap on it, or buying a 720p TV and complaining why PS2 games look crap on it.

Try native 1080p Xbox360 games like Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis3 and tell me the 360 still looks crap on the S60.
MilkManX likes this.
post #7221 of 7267 Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've noticed that when I play movies through the USB with my portable HDD on the S60, there is like a very faint surge of white light on the screen, usually in the black borders of a movie, and only happens momentarily. Blink and you miss it. Any idea what's going on here? When I plug the HDD into the other USB the TV gives me a oversurge error which is a bit concerning, and makes me think that these TV's can't really handle the extra power required from the HDD or something. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #7222 of 7267 Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrickard View Post
I've noticed that when I play movies through the USB with my portable HDD on the S60, there is like a very faint surge of white light on the screen, usually in the black borders of a movie, and only happens momentarily. Blink and you miss it. Any idea what's going on here? When I plug the HDD into the other USB the TV gives me a oversurge error which is a bit concerning, and makes me think that these TV's can't really handle the extra power required from the HDD or something. Has anyone else experienced this?
There really isn't enough power available for a portable drive on these pannys. The only thing that works is a powered drive. Also the tv only supports USB 2.0. A 3.0 device will work at 2.0.
post #7223 of 7267 Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
There really isn't enough power available for a portable drive on these pannys. The only thing that works is a powered drive. Also the tv only supports USB 2.0. A 3.0 device will work at 2.0.
Am I damaging the TV by using a portable HDD?
post #7224 of 7267 Old 11-12-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrickard View Post
Am I damaging the TV by using a portable HDD?
If the drive was just clicking I'd say no but since it seems to affect the display I wouldn't take a chance on hooking it up. It could be robbing power or acting like a short, either case isn't good. My recommendation is to use a media player which will give a better(in my experience) picture anyway. With that you can plug in just about any kind of drive.
post #7225 of 7267 Old 11-12-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I plug in PNY micro USB flash drives, a pair of 16Gb units.. i just keep the movies I want to watch on those in mk4 and it works great.

It is correct that these aren't like standard 5v powered USB ports.. they are meant for data only. Some TVs have a dedicated USB port that is given more power for a HDD, these are not. You would need to plug the HDD into a powered hub or give it its own power prior to inserting it into the S60.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7226 of 7267 Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 PM

Long time lurker here. I have had my 50 inch S64 for over a year now. I picked it up from Cosco for 599 with an extended warranty, but due to circumstances beyond my control I just opened it up a few weeks ago. It was meant for a man cave, but the cats we used to have ruined our basement by peeing all over the carpet floors and walls.

Long story short, I couldn't afford the renovations needed for our basement and got tired of living without this TV so I convinced my wife to allow me to put it in our bedroom.

I already ran D Nice's slides and by this Saturday I will have a little over 300 hours on my set. My primary use will be for my Steam Machine gaming PC, and some console gaming. My secondary use will be for watching Blue Ray movies and OTA HDTV with a Mohu Leaf Antenna.

Saturday I will hook up my PC and try it out. I need some advice on a good blu ray player for this set. I understand that this TV isn't good at 1080/24p so is there a "bang for your buck" blu ray player that can run 24p and take up some of the S64's slack.

I would like to hear from the community on what blu ray player you all are using and what settings you have on your S60's and S64's in relation to the blue ray players settings. I just want smooth looking movies to go along with the great picture quality these sets already offer.
post #7227 of 7267 Old 11-13-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I recommend the Panasonic BD91, which is reasonably priced and has excellent picture quality. I find I get the best results by letting the player convert 1080p/24fps into 1080p/60fps and send to the TV as opposed to having the TV covert it to 60fps.
post #7228 of 7267 Old 11-13-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're not wanting to talk about the TV, but about bluray players... That is kind a thread derail man. Choice of BD player has nothing to do with this display.

post #7229 of 7267 Old 11-13-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I recommend the Panasonic BD91, which is reasonably priced and has excellent picture quality. I find I get the best results by letting the player convert 1080p/24fps into 1080p/60fps and send to the TV as opposed to having the TV covert it to 60fps.

Thank you for the recommendation, but is there any special setting on the TV to get this working like you suggest. Like do I need to turn certain settings off on my S64 or something. I am new to all of this. Also I printed out the spread sheet on different users settings and will be experimenting with those to see which looks best to me.
post #7230 of 7267 Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY FiNgErS View Post
Thank you for the recommendation, but is there any special setting on the TV to get this working like you suggest. Like do I need to turn certain settings off on my S64 or something.

In this particular case -- no, there is no special setting required. 1080p/60fps is the TV's native resolution and frame rate.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page