Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 242 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7231 of 7258 Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I output my Panasonic DMP85 player at 24p and haven't had any issues with the S60. It actually looks cleaner then outputting it to 60. Same goes for my older Panasonic C2.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 7258 Old 11-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I use a Sony S5100. Most of the time I output 1080p/24 to the S60. Yes, on brighter scenes there is some noticeable flicker, but that becomes less noticeable as your eyes adjust and is not seen at all on lower ABL scenes. It looks fine outputting 60p, but the motion is much much smoother at 24p.

I've mentioned the picture settings I use a few times.. FairChild99 at 2200+ hours, may tweak a bit for black crush reduction.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7233 of 7258 Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The PS3 set to 24p with the S60/4 set to 48Hz caused a lot of flicker, very noticeable on bright scenes. But I purchased a 2013 Panasonic BDT230 BD player and found that either it works better with the S60 or my eyes have adjusted to it. I recently watched Transformers 4 with the BD player outputting 24p and the TV set to 48Hz (as opposed to 60Hz) and it looked good to me. You're likely used to 60Hz already, so it may not be a big deal anyway.
post #7234 of 7258 Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the 42" S60 and the Netflix feature is driving me up the wall. Everyday I get the aip-701 trouble code and have to Deactivate and sign back in. This is annoying as all this has to be done with the remote control and my three year old crying in my ear.

I've signed out and back in everyday for almost a month.
I've reduced the picture quality from HD to medium.
I've checked my internet speed on my computer and it always ranges between 17 - 25 mbps.
I have the TV plugged straight into the router.

Once I've deactivated and signed back in I am able to use the Netflix for 8-24 hours but inevitably I get the aip-701 code. The Netflix application loads completely and all the thumbnails of movies we've watched and are available show up but trying to play something results in the error code.

I need help.
post #7235 of 7258 Old 11-18-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
I have the 42" S60 and the Netflix feature is driving me up the wall. Everyday I get the aip-701 trouble code and have to Deactivate and sign back in. This is annoying as all this has to be done with the remote control and my three year old crying in my ear.

I've checked my internet speed on my computer and it always ranges between 17 - 25 mbps.

Once I've deactivated and signed back in I am able to use the Netflix for 8-24 hours but inevitably I get the aip-701 code. The Netflix application loads completely and all the thumbnails of movies we've watched and are available show up but trying to play something results in the error code.

I need help.
Have you tried what looks like an old nintendo cheat code? Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up Go to the help page for instructions.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13815
post #7236 of 7258 Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

I need help.

Attempting to play the same vid had worked for me in the past when I experienced the error code. I never tried the button sequence but I don't think netflix would put something like that if it didn't have an effect on the registration. Try it as that's much better than advising to power cycle the router.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7237 of 7258 Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I need help.

There was a firmware update. Did you update? That might help.
ToonMasterTim likes this.
post #7238 of 7258 Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM

"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up"

This is what I have been doing everyday for a month. Then signing in with the remote (which is painful).

Cravit8,
The aip-701 error code is continuous regardless of how many times I try to replay a show. Signing out of All Devices at Netflix's website does nothing meaning I have to deauthorize using the remote control "cheat code" and sign back in.

dmtaub,
Firmware version is 2.212

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd appreciate more if anyone has something to add.
post #7239 of 7258 Old 11-19-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up"

This is what I have been doing everyday for a month. Then signing in with the remote (which is painful).

Cravit8,

The aip-701 error code is continuous regardless of how many times I try to replay a show. Signing out of All Devices at Netflix's website does nothing meaning I have to deauthorize using the remote control "cheat code" and sign back in.

dmtaub,

Firmware version is 2.212

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd appreciate more if anyone has something to add.

A last ditch effort maybe to reset the TV to factory settings and then update the firmware. And at the same time unregister all devices on Netflix. You will need a USB drive to update the firmware since the TVs no longer recognize the new firmware releases over the Internet.

There is a reason that Netflix is only giving a 24 hour token, and my guess is that it is software related on the TV.

post #7240 of 7258 Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM

I updated the Firmware about 6 weeks ago using the USB drive. Are you saying I need to reset the TV and reinstall the existing firmware?

I'll give it a shot tonight.
post #7241 of 7258 Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM

I spoke with Panasonic who stated they have had a lot of complaints about this issue and suggested a factory reset as well. So far since doing it I have not had the problem and it has been 40 hours. Fingers crossed.
whipit likes this.
post #7242 of 7258 Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I spoke with Panasonic who stated they have had a lot of complaints about this issue and suggested a factory reset as well. So far since doing it I have not had the problem and it has been 40 hours. Fingers crossed.

Great news. I thought the factory reset would do it since I don't think the firmware updates include app updates.

post #7243 of 7258 Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi all,

I purchased a 65 inch S60 almost a year ago. After a few weeks I had it professionally calibrated. I was expecting a great picture from the calibration and was kind of disappointed with the results. The colours didn't appear vibrant and the whites (especially a full white screen) also looked dull. I just kind of put up with it.

Today, I used FairChild's 2200+hr setting. Although there is now some improvement, I'm still not fully satisfied with the result. I watch a lot of sports and the colours and whites are just lacking. This is especially apparent in team jerseys and the colour of the white ice when watching hockey. Today I even had my 5 yr old LG LCD beside by S60 watching the same game and it looked so much more vibrant on the LCD (This TV has built in calibration software). Does anyone else have this problem when watching sports? Or can anyone make any recommendations? I know that that brightness settings as seen at the stores are not a popular topic, but again, the colours and whites just seem to be lacking. If it makes any difference, the TV is in the basement with very low lighting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
post #7244 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Compared to an LCD, that is just how a plasma looks.. "dirty whites" is how it has been described. Some are better than others. Putting a bias light behind the tv can help, as it will increase your perceived contrast between lights and darks.

Honestly, I don't watch hockey or the winter Olympics, so it doesn't bother me... but it is what it is. Now vibrant colors on the other hand, that is something that a properly configured plasma, especially a 2013 Panny should do well at, my 55" S60 does.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7245 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonic2014 View Post
Hi all,

I purchased a 65 inch S60 almost a year ago. After a few weeks I had it professionally calibrated. I was expecting a great picture from the calibration and was kind of disappointed with the results. The colours didn't appear vibrant and the whites (especially a full white screen) also looked dull. I just kind of put up with it.

Today, I used FairChild's 2200+hr setting. Although there is now some improvement, I'm still not fully satisfied with the result. I watch a lot of sports and the colours and whites are just lacking. This is especially apparent in team jerseys and the colour of the white ice when watching hockey. Today I even had my 5 yr old LG LCD beside by S60 watching the same game and it looked so much more vibrant on the LCD (This TV has built in calibration software). Does anyone else have this problem when watching sports? Or can anyone make any recommendations? I know that that brightness settings as seen at the stores are not a popular topic, but again, the colours and whites just seem to be lacking. If it makes any difference, the TV is in the basement with very low lighting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sounds like you got a sub par calibration to me, Plasma does have some limitations when it comes to Hockey and winter sports. I can almost guarantee you LCD is pushing towards blue in a big way that can lead to the perception of cleaner whites but often they are inaccuate.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7246 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Sounds like you got a sub par calibration to me
To me it sounds like he may of got a proper calibration but just doesn't like the way a calibrated picture looks. I find that common "in the real world". I know a lot of people who run their sets on vivid mode and think it looks great.
post #7247 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks for your input guys. I think you are correct that I'm just not used to a calibrated set. Although I think there's a huge benedit with watching movies, I'm not sure if the same is still trup when watching sports as the colours don't 'pop'. They just appear more dull than as they would appear in real life.

As for the bad calibration, I input fairchilds settings into the custom picture mode setting which would have overwritten the professionally calibrated setting (I wrote down the numbers in case I want to go back) so that shouldn't have any affect unless I have to also conduct a factory reset (I.e. does a professional calibration change settings that are not accessible in the picture menu? Because I doubt it). Again, thanks for your input.
post #7248 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I watch football on my S60 every weekend and have no complaints except for the NY Giants performance these days. I usually watch my set in the cinema mode, since it comes closest to meeting NTSC standards. The NBC sports broadcast last night looked spectacular and the football Jerseys looked pretty white to me. Most LG LCD's that I've seen tested, have black level and contrast ratio measurements that are a far cry from the S60's. If you think the LG looks better in that respect, either your set hasn't been calibrated properly, or you just happen to prefer the overly bright image of an LCD.

Quote:
(I.e. does a professional calibration change settings that are not accessible in the picture menu? Because I doubt it).
Yes. A professional calibrator will need to tweak the service menu settings to obtain reference level picture quality.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 11-24-2014 at 09:45 AM.
post #7249 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check out Monday Night Football tonight and see how that looks. I think the issue is more with sports that are played in a bright environment such as hockey, or basketball where the court is bright and shiny.

As for the service menu being tweaked from the calibration, will a factory reset also reset those settings? Is it something really worth doing?
post #7250 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check out Monday Night Football tonight and see how that looks. I think the issue is more with sports that are played in a bright environment such as hockey, or basketball where the court is bright and shiny.

As for the service menu being tweaked from the calibration, will a factory reset also reset those settings? Is it something really worth doing?
I haven't any issues with basketball games either. I rarely watch hockey though. A factory reset should not effect service menu settings.

Ian

post #7251 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Yes. A professional calibrator will need to tweak the service menu settings to obtain reference level picture quality.

Ian
Not true anymore Ian, all the settings required are in the regular picture menu.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7252 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 12:43 PM

I think you are correct. My brother was present when the calibration was done and said that it didn't appear that any other settings besides the main picture settings in the menu were changed.
post #7253 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Post Gamma

Quote:
Not true anymore Ian, all the settings required are in the regular picture menu.
Like many of the newer entry level sets, the S60 has pro settings, but it lacks the 10 point gamma gain adjustments like your higher end models have.

Ian

post #7254 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Those settings don't exist in the service menu either. Only 2 pt white balance .
post #7255 of 7258 Old 11-24-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those settings don't exist in the service menu either. Only 2 pt white balance .
I'm not surprised. For most people, the S60's price point isn't really cost effective enough to warrant a professional calibration.

Ian

post #7256 of 7258 Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I'm not surprised. For most people, the S60's price point isn't really cost effective enough to warrant a professional calibration.

Ian
I hate that argument. I understand why people say that, but the S60, while a budget-oriented plasma, is still one of the best TVs from last year. You don't have to spend a ton of money to warrant getting a professional calibration. That said, spending $200-$300 on a calibration for a TV that cost $500-$600 might not seem like a good value. Instead, spend the extra money on getting a larger TV. But if you bought the 60" or 65" S60, that cost might not seem like a bad investment. I didn't spend money on a calibration and I am very happy with the PQ I get from my S64. But I would argue that a calibration would be worth it for someone interested in getting the most they can out of the set.
post #7257 of 7258 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an update on my screen setting issue. I was in attendance at the suns vs. raptors game last night (go raptors!) and was surprised that the colours on the court were not as bright as I had thought. The actual brightness of the court was also less than I expected. I think that watching LCD panels for some time has thrown off my perception. The big screens above the court also showed a really nice picture and we're not overly bright, and comparable to what my plasma was showing with Fairchilds settings. Therefore, it will take some time to get used to but really is a more realistic picture of what is out there. I want to thank all of you for your input.
chunon likes this.
post #7258 of 7258 Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
the S60, while a budget-oriented plasma, is still one of the best TVs from last year. You don't have to spend a ton of money to warrant getting a professional calibration. That said, spending $200-$300 on a calibration for a TV that cost $500-$600 might not seem like a good value. Instead, spend the extra money on getting a larger TV. But if you bought the 60" or 65" S60, that cost might not seem like a bad investment. I didn't spend money on a calibration and I am very happy with the PQ I get from my S64. But I would argue that a calibration would be worth it for someone interested in getting the most they can out of the set.
You make a good point, but if Panasonic believed that the typical S60 buyer was willing to invest in a top notch pro calibration, ( I'm not talking about the BB Geek Squad here) they probably would have included the same settings available on their higher end sets.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page