Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 243 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #7261 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
A lot of those intense bright whites actually hurt my eyes, strain them even in daylight viewing.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonic2014 View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to provide an update on my screen setting issue. I was in attendance at the suns vs. raptors game last night (go raptors!) and was surprised that the colours on the court were not as bright as I had thought. The actual brightness of the court was also less than I expected. I think that watching LCD panels for some time has thrown off my perception. The big screens above the court also showed a really nice picture and we're not overly bright, and comparable to what my plasma was showing with Fairchilds settings. Therefore, it will take some time to get used to but really is a more realistic picture of what is out there. I want to thank all of you for your input.
After attending the Dolphins vs Lions game at Ford Field the other week, my sentiments match yours to a tee. Seeing the field in person revealed that in actuality, the field is rather bland and dull (at least in that stadium). Our perception has been tainted by visually "enhanced" pictures and videos.

For those that want a more LCD look when watching sports, try Standard mode, with CATS off, switched to Warm 1, and with Vivid Color off. The colors will be over saturated and overly sharp (try lowering to 50-20), but it should give you that punchy LCD picture that you're looking for. Sometimes when watching sports during a bright, sunny afternoon, this is what I'll do, and to me, it doesn't look absolutely horrible, just not accurate. I would never do this for movies or any "serious" watching though.
post #7263 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know its a longshot but anyone know where I could pick up one of these or the TX-p42st60? New, refurb or used
post #7264 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstyv View Post
I know its a longshot but anyone know where I could pick up one of these or the TX-p42st60? New, refurb or used

Panny never made a 42" st60. They did make the s60 in that size, but was discontinued very early in 2013 production. Check Craigslist. You might get lucky.
post #7265 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Panny never made a 42" st60. They did make the s60 in that size, but was discontinued very early in 2013 production. Check Craigslist. You might get lucky.
Sorry I should have specified its a uk model and given a link
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...-p42st60b.html
post #7266 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Sorry I should have specified its a uk model and given a link
http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer...-p42st60b.html

Probably should have mentioned UK...
post #7267 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
After attending the Dolphins vs Lions game at Ford Field the other week, my sentiments match yours to a tee. Seeing the field in person revealed that in actuality, the field is rather bland and dull (at least in that stadium). Our perception has been tainted by visually "enhanced" pictures and videos.

For those that want a more LCD look when watching sports, try Standard mode, with CATS off, switched to Warm 1, and with Vivid Color off. The colors will be over saturated and overly sharp (try lowering to 50-20), but it should give you that punchy LCD picture that you're looking for. Sometimes when watching sports during a bright, sunny afternoon, this is what I'll do, and to me, it doesn't look absolutely horrible, just not accurate. I would never do this for movies or any "serious" watching though.
Thanks for the heads-up and I will definitely try those settings when I need a boost in brightness. Does anyone have any input on gaming on this set? I ask because video games nowadays emphasize brightness and vivid colours. Im wondering if we are somewhat missing out on how these games were intended to be played since the sets are calibrated to a more realistic picture.
post #7268 of 7294 Old 11-26-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
Probably should have mentioned UK...

I'm in the US not UK, but I am open to finding this set anywhere in the world.
post #7269 of 7294 Old 12-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up and I will definitely try those settings when I need a boost in brightness. Does anyone have any input on gaming on this set? I ask because video games nowadays emphasize brightness and vivid colours. Im wondering if we are somewhat missing out on how these games were intended to be played since the sets are calibrated to a more realistic picture.
I'm not really a gamer, but when watching animated shows (ie. South park, any anime), I typically will switch from Cinema to Custom. It may not be perfectly accurate, but it does add just a bit more color "liveliness" if you will. If you try this, be sure to lower AGC and Black Extension to 0 in the Pro settings so as not to crush shadow detail, and change the color gamut to normal (Panel Brightness and Gamma I left at the defaults, Mid and 2.4, respectively). I don't remember what the custom defaults are and I'm not at home to check, but I changed most of them to match the default cinema settings, (such as color temperature to Warm 2, vivid color off, etc.) Contrast I bumped to 90 to give just a little extra "liveliness", (cinema default is 85), although for games I would be careful in setting contrast really high. I would think leaving the pixel orbiter on during gaming should help mitigate any image retention from the HUD.
post #7270 of 7294 Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
I'm in the US not UK, but I am open to finding this set anywhere in the world.
The UK models are 220 volt @ 50hz and won't work in the USA. The tuners are completely different too and won't work in the USA.

You may be able to find a used 42" S60 here in North America if you're only looking for a 42" size.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7271 of 7294 Old 12-06-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Great news. I thought the factory reset would do it since I don't think the firmware updates include app updates.
We still have the problem come up with all programs from Netflix suddenly not wanting to play though the Netflix application seems to load fine. I've factory reset the TV, replaced all the CAT5 cables from the router to the TV, changed the DNS on the TV to OpenDNS and Google's DNS, and even replaced the router with a brand new one. The problem isn't every day like before but is still happening after several days. The only way to fix it is to sign out of Netflix on the TV and sign back in. This seemed to start happening around the time the Netflix logo changed appearance during start up.

Really frustrating.
post #7272 of 7294 Old 12-07-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Arrow Video Down Load Services And Hardware Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
We still have the problem come up with all programs from Netflix suddenly not wanting to play though the Netflix application seems to load fine. I've factory reset the TV, replaced all the CAT5 cables from the router to the TV, changed the DNS on the TV to OpenDNS and Google's DNS, and even replaced the router with a brand new one. The problem isn't every day like before but is still happening after several days. The only way to fix it is to sign out of Netflix on the TV and sign back in. This seemed to start happening around the time the Netflix logo changed appearance during start up.

Really frustrating.
Seems like a Netflix interface problem with your set. Try posting this issue on the Netflix Streaming Quality thread in the Video Download Services and Hardware forum.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7273 of 7294 Old 12-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a ROKU 3 and now my Netflix viewing through this TV is perfect. Well worth it.
post #7274 of 7294 Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 AM

I came across these picture settings from CNET specific to the Panasonic TC-P65S64 that I highly recommend. Use Cinema. Without a doubt these settings produced a superior picture to anything else I have tried.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/

The only change I made is I sometimes set the Panel Brightness to Mid vs Low.

Last edited by jacksonlini; 12-08-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #7275 of 7294 Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonlini View Post
I bought a ROKU 3 and now my Netflix viewing through this TV is perfect. Well worth it.
. If you buy one make sure to set it to 1080P within the ROKU settings menu.

Consideration. ROKU 3 was hooked up to my HDMI 2. Had to disconnect Blue Ray. Didn't matter as I really don't use it. Did buy a HDMI Switch to provide additional HDMI hookups between equipment that is not regularly used. Haven't hooked it up yet. When I do it will include
ROKU, Blu Ray and possibly a game unit.

Last edited by jacksonlini; 12-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.
post #7276 of 7294 Old 12-08-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 0
My 50s60 is just out of warranty this month and I now have a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen. From way I've been able to research it sounds like it might be the C1 board. I figure I'll open it up and check to see if anything is loose (yeah right). Otherwise is the first step replacing that board? If it's a panel issue the cost is probably not worth fixing it and I'll go the f5300 route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418070717679-793183947_1418070811098.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	408849  
post #7277 of 7294 Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Post Call Panasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorsedemon View Post
My 50s60 is just out of warranty this month and I now have a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen. From way I've been able to research it sounds like it might be the C1 board. I figure I'll open it up and check to see if anything is loose (yeah right). Otherwise is the first step replacing that board? If it's a panel issue the cost is probably not worth fixing it and I'll go the f5300 route.
You may want to contact Panasonic first. If your warranty has recently expired they will probably still honor it. Also, if you paid for the TV using a major bankcard they will usually extend the warranty for an extra year. Once you open up the set, you can forget about anyone covering it.

Ian

post #7278 of 7294 Old 12-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonlini View Post
I came across these picture settings from CNET specific to the Panasonic TC-P65S64 that I highly recommend. Use Cinema. Without a doubt these settings produced a superior picture to anything else I have tried.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/

The only change I made is I sometimes set the Panel Brightness to Mid vs Low.
Cool! I am happy with my current settings, mostly matching fairchild's settings at 2200+ hours, but I will give these a shot on the input I use rarely to see how I like them. I never knew these were out there.
post #7279 of 7294 Old 12-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Is anyone using Black Extension at all on their S60's?

I found that from 0-5 there is no perceived difference, at 6, 7, 8 you can tell the blacks get blacker, above that there is no perceived increase. I was watching The Voice in HD last night, and I noticed with my current settings that blacks appeared very dark grey, and perhaps they are meant that way, but with Black Extension at 7, it looked much better, without crushing the black details.

I think my tv has aged sufficiently that I may need to go through and use an HD set up disc again and re-do ALL of my settings. Tweaking contrast, brightness, etc I couldnt quite get it like I like it. It did seem as though, a couple months ago that my black levels got darker, I was noticing black crush on the same settings that months prior looked perfect.

On a side note, I received a Sony HT-XT1 as an early Christmas present from the father-in-law. I tried 3 different sound bars but all of them either sounded just OK, and/or blocked the IR sensor on the TV.. which I cant have happen. This is the sound base that goes under the tv. The S60 with stand is .02lbs heavier than the rated max.. but seems OK so far.

The sound difference is IMMENSE. The Sony really does a great job for those looking for a solid 2.1 solution. I just can't seem to get ARC to work.. If I play a video (movie) from USB on the S60, the audio isnt sent back through the ARC enabled HDMI to the sound base.. I need to have the optical audio cable connected. Which is fine, but it is one more cable to have.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #7280 of 7294 Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
Is anyone using Black Extension at all on their S60's?

Actually, no -- I've never tried it.
post #7281 of 7294 Old 12-16-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Today, I used FairChild's 2200+hr setting.
Where did you find the FairChild's 2200+hr settings, the ones I printed out look like they are older, 04-27-2013.
post #7282 of 7294 Old 12-16-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm happy with my blacks and using the black extension just reduces shadow detail.

Ian

post #7283 of 7294 Old 12-17-2014, 06:32 AM

I'll have to run a calibration/adjustment disc... In normal TV, it looks great.. but I have a feeling if I go and stick in The Dark Knight or V for Vendetta Bluray it will look crushed..

this, people, is why you pay an actual calibrator to adjust your tv for you.. lol

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #7284 of 7294 Old 12-17-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
I'll have to run a calibration/adjustment disc... In normal TV, it looks great.. but I have a feeling if I go and stick in The Dark Knight or V for Vendetta Bluray it will look crushed..

this, people, is why you pay an actual calibrator to adjust your tv for you.. lol
Even with a pro calibration, you will occasionally find BD content that will need to be tweaked.

Ian

post #7285 of 7294 Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 AM

I felt like tossing a couple pics up of my 55" S60 playing Panasonic demo content... I also played The KURO Experience stuff but didnt take any pics of that. These are taken on pause, with my iPhone 5... yes i know... but as good as these'll look on God knows what LCD monitor you are looking at, they're 10x nicer in real life.

Who says the S60 doesn't "pop"?

And this one shows some good black levels:

My bias light is a slightly different hue in the above images, as I wasnt focusing or adjusting for that rear light... but you get the idea.

Considering these are pictures of a tv and not digital screen grabs, not too bad for $887 out the door delivered. Far too few images of other peoples S60's on here.
mailiang likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #7286 of 7294 Unread 12-18-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have had my p50s60 for nearly a year now. Fantastic TV. Still blown away by this TV. Thanks guys for all the good advice on this set that is why I come to AVS.
post #7287 of 7294 Unread Yesterday, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Guys. Anyone know if the Panasonic Viera Touch Pad Controller (N2QBYB000026) is compatible with their S60/S64 series TV's?? Anyone ever used the touchpad? Do you like it?
post #7288 of 7294 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkManX View Post
I have had my p50s60 for nearly a year now. Fantastic TV. Still blown away by this TV. Thanks guys for all the good advice on this set that is why I come to AVS.
I agree, awesome TV along with the 42".

But honestly I like my Samsung PN43F4500 720p set way better. Even deeper blacks, and its OTA tuner has an excellent guide.

Must be something about the bigger pixels that my eyes like.
post #7289 of 7294 Unread Yesterday, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Post Deeper Blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
I agree, awesome TV along with the 42".

But honestly I like my Samsung PN43F4500 720p set way better. Even deeper blacks, and its OTA tuner has an excellent guide.
You may want to tweak the settings on your S60. According to the reviews, including measurements taking from my blog buddy ISF calibrator Lee Niekirk, the black levels on the F4500 are excellent, especially for an entry level 720p TV, but they are not quite as deep as the S60's.

From Rtings.com:

43F4500
Black: 0.018 cd/m2

S60
Black: 0.013 cd/m2

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; Yesterday at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added measurements
post #7290 of 7294 Unread Yesterday, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When I watch stuff like the New Cosmos on Blu-Ray, on the Sammy the universe appears to pop with deeper blacks.

I'm sure its because the bigger/fewer pixels on the 4500 are either almost completely off or very bright, whereas on the s60 here just too many more to brighten and the washing out the dark skies.

Specs are not everything. Will have to tinker more with the s60. But I have a feeling the 4500 will still look better in this case due to its bigger pixels.

Also there is no excuse for no guide on the s60's . Very lame on Panasonic's part.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page