Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 247 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7381 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 118
jazzycat,

I would ask the seller now to let you know how many hours are on the set. You should be able to check for image retention by just running the screen wipe. Beyond these two things, about all that matters is the condition of the set itself. Best of luck, as if it's as advertised, it's surely a great deal at $400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
jazzycat,

I would ask the seller now to let you know how many hours are on the set. You should be able to check for image retention by just running the screen wipe. Beyond these two things, about all that matters is the condition of the set itself. Best of luck, as if it's as advertised, it's surely a great deal at $400.
They swear it's only been lightly used, and I mentioned there was a way to check the hours so I doubt they're lying about that, knowing I can find out when I go to look at it/pick it up. I'm hoping to talk to them over the phone at some point today, and I'll ask them to check for me then. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this. I'm hoping I can get over there this weekend. It's in another city about 1- 1 1/2 hours away, and I have to get someone to go with me that can help me move the TV. At any rate, with luck I'll have a new TV in the next few days.

Question, since it's dangerous to play around in the service menu, how do I *safely* check the hours without doing any damage to anything? These are the instructions someone posted for me:

Menu > Help > Version > Status4. The number after the letter represents the hours. That value increments every 60 minutes of "On" time.

[Status 4 starts with A up to 100, then B for 100-199, then C thereafter]

That seems safe enough. Once the hours show up, do you just hit exit? (sorry if I seem paranoid, but someone did say you could do serious damage messing around in the service menu. I would hate the be the cause of creating a problem.)

And how do I run the screen swipe? Is that a command somewhere in the menu? I'm completely new to plasmas, so I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks!

A completely unrelated question (sort of), now that I'll have a new TV that's HD, I need to get a BDP. Since I have a Roku 3 that I'll be using for streaming content, all I care about is a good player that will play all the SD content dvds that I've accumulated (I have hundreds and hundreds of them, and I don't want to replace all of them, although I know I'm likely to replace some). Also don't really care about 3D, and this isn't a 3D tv anyway. Just a good model that isn't incredibly expensive. Any suggestions? Thanks!
post #7383 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The procedure to check the hours is not done in the service menu, but in the regular main menu. Yes, all you have to do is exit the menu or hit return on the remote. There's no risk of messing anything up.
jazzycat likes this.
post #7384 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM

OK, I've also found a 60" p60s60 for $700. Now I have two choices. It was manufactured in March 2013. They sent me screen shot that says TIME 01649:40 COUNT 0000368. Would that be the hour count??? (crap, I can't figure out how to load a picture)
post #7385 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
OK, I've also found a 60" p60s60 for $700. Now I have two choices. It was manufactured in March 2013. They sent me screen shot that says TIME 01649:40 COUNT 0000368. Would that be the hour count??? (crap, I can't figure out how to load a picture)

No, you need the 'Status 4' line in the version option in the help menu. The hours will be preceded by the letter C. Mine says C3100, which means 3100 hours of use.
post #7386 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 11:38 AM

OK thanks. I'll let them both know what to do and to send me a picture. The person who owns the 60" sent me a picture of the date of the tv, march 2013. Anyway. Thanks for the help.
post #7387 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK thanks. I'll let them both know what to do and to send me a picture. The person who owns the 60" sent me a picture of the date of the tv, march 2013. Anyway. Thanks for the help.

There is no real significance to the build date of the TV. It's the total hours used that matters most and whether or not there is image retention. That and the physical condition of the set. $700 for the 60" is just as good of a deal provided the hours are low and the set is in excellent shape. The cheapest they went for new was $1000.
post #7388 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 12:24 PM

They said the hours were 1649. so yea, I'm thinking that's a great deal. I'm not sure if I can come up with the extra $300 off the cuff though. I might be able to. I'll just have to play it by ear. And wait to see how many hours that 50" set has on it. It's closer for one thing, so less driving to pick it up. But, it would definitely be nice to have the extra 10" on the screen.
post #7389 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM

ack. Now I'm having another dilemma. I can't get a squaretrade warranty unless it's purchased through ebay or amazon. I sent an email and asked if they would be willing to sell it to me that way, but I'm hesitant to buy any piece of electronics today that I can't insure in case something goes wrong on it. What is the warranty on this model, one year? It's probably already out of warranty. argh.
post #7390 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They said the hours were 1649. so yea, I'm thinking that's a great deal. I'm not sure if I can come up with the extra $300 off the cuff though. I might be able to. I'll just have to play it by ear. And wait to see how many hours that 50" set has on it. It's closer for one thing, so less driving to pick it up. But, it would definitely be nice to have the extra 10" on the screen.

Yes, 10 more inches is probably easily worth $300 more. How far will you be sitting from it?
post #7391 of 7407 Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ack. Now I'm having another dilemma. I can't get a squaretrade warranty unless it's purchased through ebay or amazon. I sent an email and asked if they would be willing to sell it to me that way, but I'm hesitant to buy any piece of electronics today that I can't insure in case something goes wrong on it. What is the warranty on this model, one year? It's probably already out of warranty. argh.

The warranty is only one year, but if the TV has gone problem free until now it probably doesn't have any defects. 1600 hours is very low use. Again, good luck with whatever you decide.
post #7392 of 7407 Old 05-16-2015, 07:47 AM

The 60" was sold, but the 50" one is still available (which is the one I originally found anyway). I'm going to look at it Monday or Tuesday and if it's good, bring it home.

It's going in the bedroom. Viewing distance is about 12-14 feet away, depending on if I decide to wall mount it or set it on the dresser. I'll probably just put it on the dresser, for now anyway. I think 50" will be fine. I'm going from an old 29" tube TV so 50" will probably seem giant to me. lol

Question about the s50, what are some of the common problems that can go wrong with this model, and are they easy fixes? Will they cost me a fortune? PhilipsPhanatic told me his Philips plasma needed a new capacitor at one point but a friend fixed it for him for next to nothing, and he had the tv for a long time after. Just want to be prepared. iow, is there a known problem that happens at a certain point with this model? Thanks!
post #7393 of 7407 Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
The 60" was sold, but the 50" one is still available (which is the one I originally found anyway). I'm going to look at it Monday or Tuesday and if it's good, bring it home.

It's going in the bedroom. Viewing distance is about 12-14 feet away, depending on if I decide to wall mount it or set it on the dresser. I'll probably just put it on the dresser, for now anyway. I think 50" will be fine. I'm going from an old 29" tube TV so 50" will probably seem giant to me. lol

Question about the s50, what are some of the common problems that can go wrong with this model, and are they easy fixes? Will they cost me a fortune? PhilipsPhanatic told me his Philips plasma needed a new capacitor at one point but a friend fixed it for him for next to nothing, and he had the tv for a long time after. Just want to be prepared. iow, is there a known problem that happens at a certain point with this model? Thanks!
I've owned two Panasonic plasmas in last 5 years, and never had an issue with either one. Randy Walters, who created this thread has owned several ( I've lost count) and I don't believe he's had a problem with any of them.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7394 of 7407 Old 05-16-2015, 12:02 PM

Got the hours. B0117-00000 So that's 117 hours, right? They said they got the TV two years ago. So SCORE! $400 for this TV has got to be a steal, right? I mean 117 hours is ridiculous low, right? I'm feeling very fortunate right now! I can't wait to go pick it up. I wish I get over there sooner, but I need help moving it and no one is available until Monday-Tuesday. eeeeeee!!!!! (and they were surprised that the hours were so HIGH. hehe)

Complete 180 here, how does one go about learning diagnostics/repair in electronics? It's something I've always been interested in and never pursued. Just curious.
post #7395 of 7407 Old 05-16-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
So, it's more of an ST60 class panel lumped together with an S60 class processor? Hope it has less input lag than actual S60. While my S64 does have the best input lag out of all plasmas released in 2013, (camera : 29ms, Leo Bodnar : 34ms) it's still more than likes of earlier plasmas like PX80 and so on...
Well straight off I don't have access to the service manuals so I'm just guessing about the processor, 1080p 3D models always get the best sillicone to reduce artifacts in 3D modes but it does have implications for 2D as well, say if you are sensitive to rolling scans or rainbows that might be a problem but probably not as you already owned the S60 and had no complaints of that kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
So if the PB2U can attain higher luminance than the ST60 at dynamic mode, I may find the winner. Still, I'm still puzzled as to how the ST60 can get so much brighter like that as none of the ST60s I've seen never had such kind of brightness on Vivid, and also I'm still frustrated no ABL numbers are available for the PB2U. Do you have ABL numbers for your PH9 and PF30 btw?
Sorry I'm not sure how the modes differ from model to model, I did have ABL numbers and falloff data for my panels but the document has reverted to an older state due to some combination of weather/lightning strikes/power grid flakiness & house wiring problems which all happened in one week and has left some of my computer equipment damaged.

On a positive note I did get to play with the 65ST50 recently and even after I performed a VSUS mod on that panel my stock plasmas wipes the floor with it on full screen and mid-high APL situations, pretty nice considering they are based on Panasonic G30 core, the PB2 shouldn't have any problem outclassing models from the same generation.

PDPs Panasonic 50PF30, 42PF30, 50PH9 | CRTs Sony Trinitron 21", Philips 36PW9607

Last edited by OttoKürschner; 05-16-2015 at 04:14 PM.
post #7396 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got the hours. B0117-00000 So that's 117 hours, right? They said they got the TV two years ago. So SCORE! $400 for this TV has got to be a steal, right? I mean 117 hours is ridiculous low, right?

Yes, lucky you. Just give careful consideration to how you're going to safely transport it. I assume the seller doesn't still have the original box. Ideally, it should be braced somehow in an upright position (not laid down).
post #7397 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, lucky you. Just give careful consideration to how you're going to safely transport it. I assume the seller doesn't still have the original box. Ideally, it should be braced somehow in an upright position (not laid down).
I'm not sure if they have the box. I need to ask them, but I've thought about this. I need to measure the backseat of my car (Saturn Ion, or I could use my mom's Taurus) and see if it will fit. If it will, I'll wrap blankets around it and use large pillows/cushions, and strap it somehow with some rope to keep it from moving too much. Can I remove the stand and then put it back on? If so I'm pretty sure it will work. If it won't fit in the car I'll rent a van or something. Do you have any suggestions? I think Home Depot sells special boxes for shipping large TVs, and I would need anti-static packing peanuts to fill the void if I packed it in a box other than the one it came in. It might be safer to do it that way though. It's about an hour drive, so it isn't that far. It would be like driving across LA, except without all the traffic (country roads vs a freeway).

How do I check for dead pixels, or any other things I should look for?
post #7398 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How do I check for dead pixels, or any other things I should look for?

To look for dead or defective pixels you really need full field test patterns of red green and blue (and white), but they are fairly rare on these plasmas.
post #7399 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
To look for dead or defective pixels you really need full field test patterns of red green and blue (and white), but they are fairly rare on these plasmas.
Where would I find them? Is there a test I can download onto a cd or something to take with me? I was going to buy the Disney WOW disc, but it looks like I'll need to order it online. Would that work?
post #7400 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where would I find them? Is there a test I can download onto a cd or something to take with me? I was going to buy the Disney WOW disc, but it looks like I'll need to order it online. Would that work?

Yes, the Disney WOW disc has those patterns and will work fine.
post #7401 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, the Disney WOW disc has those patterns and will work fine.
Thank you RWetmore. I'll order it today if they don't have a copy at BB. Out of curiosity (I noticed you touched on this elsewhere where I asked about dead pixels), would you pass on the TV if it has a dead pixel? I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable risk and can likely be fixed with breaking in the screen and calibration, and what isn't acceptable and may turn into a problem at some point. I realize I'm taking a risk buying it used, and I could order a new LG 6650 for $700 or samsung 5300 for $950 right now and have it shipped to me, then I wouldn't have to worry about all of this stuff, but panasonic is supposed to be better, right? Don't they have better PQ and overall life expectancy? And this is such a great price. I don't know. I'm completely torn. It would certainly be easier to do it that way.

And I don't want to let my fear of getting a bad set stop me from getting a good one. So I'm just trying to arm myself with as much knowledge and foresight as possible so I can make an informed, smart decision. I do tend to overanalyze and overthink things sometimes though. meh.

And thanks again. I know this must be annoying, all these questions, and redundancy of topics.

Last edited by jazzycat; 05-17-2015 at 08:14 AM.
post #7402 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you RWetmore. I'll order it today if they don't have a copy at BB. Out of curiosity (I noticed you touched on this elsewhere where I asked about dead pixels), would you pass on the TV if it has a dead pixel? I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable risk and can likely be fixed with breaking in the screen and calibration, and what isn't acceptable and may turn into a problem at some point. I realize I'm taking a risk buying it used, and I could order a new LG 6650 for $700 or samsung 5300 for $950 right now and have it shipped to me, then I wouldn't have to worry about all of this stuff, but panasonic is supposed to be better, right? Don't they have better PQ and overall life expectancy? And this is such a great price. I don't know. I'm completely torn. It would certainly easier to do it that way.

And thanks again. I know this must be annoying, all these questions, and redundancy of topics.

I would definitely not buy it if you see any dead pixels, but again they are pretty rare on these sets. Again, there is always some more risk with buying used, but you have to decide if the risk is worth the lower price. Yes, the Panasonic sets, save for the F5300B, are generally the best, but the 60" F5300B is Pentile. Personally, I think $400 for a 50" S60 with super low hours is easily worth the extra risk if there are no defects with the set.
jazzycat likes this.

Last edited by RWetmore; 05-17-2015 at 08:16 AM.
post #7403 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 AM

I looked up the specs online, and it appears that it might not clear the height of the Taurus doors (this is off the stand, just the panel), but if I can get it in there it will fit nicely, and with the Saturn, it will clear the top, but it will be a snug fit across. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. On one hand, it might help keep it stable, on another hand, any bump might cause it to knock against the door (I was planning on padding it really well, but this has me a little worried). So a box is out of the question if I use either of my cars. It looks like I might have to rent a van.

I'm going to ask them to measure it for me so I have really accurate measurements for that particular panel, rather than going by what it says on the service manual.
post #7404 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I didn't think these sets got just a single dead pixel.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #7405 of 7407 Old 05-17-2015, 06:56 PM

Question. Is it necessary to order the blue ray version of WOW or will the regular dvd suffice?
post #7406 of 7407 Unread Yesterday, 06:28 PM

Tomorrow is the day I get to see the TV, and hopefully bring it home. So YEA! Keeping fingers crossed. Wish me luck!
post #7407 of 7407 Unread Today, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Tomorrow is the day I get to see the TV, and hopefully bring it home. So YEA! Keeping fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

Cool man. Good luck.
And you need the WoW disc in BD

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page