Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 248 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7411 of 7417 Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
Always good to hear about a good used-buy experience.
I have had the TV for over a year and still think it is amazing. Maybe that is because I work on a overly poor 32" TV as a computer monitor.

Don't cheap out on the BD player, they have come a long way, but the cheap ones still have horrible loading times, clunky UI, and don't fast forward or reverse well at all.
yea, I think I'll probably end up with an oppo, but for now I was looking at either a panasonic 360, 330, or a sony 6500. (I think those are the model numbers.) Do you have any opinion about those particular players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7417 Old 05-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtaub View Post
I uploaded the S60 Calibrations sheet to my OneDrive. You can get it here.

http://1drv.ms/1LuNyi8

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that! Mucho appreciated.
post #7413 of 7417 Old 05-23-2015, 07:47 PM

I have my screen looking pretty good, but I have a question (please bear with me because I'm not sure what the correct terms are). How do I increase the detail in the shadow areas? Right now they look very black, but there isn't much detail in them, and I'm not sure which things/levels I need to adjust to bring those out. Would that be in adjusting contrast levels or something? This is a problem I notice on most TVs and computers, but I'm sure that isn't actually the way it looked when it was shot. The only time I've seen it not be a problem is when watching a film on a big movie screen. Even on very bright screens this seems to be a problem. I followed the calibration levels given for the s60 above. Thanks bunches!
post #7414 of 7417 Old 05-23-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I have my screen looking pretty good, but I have a question (please bear with me because I'm not sure what the correct terms are). How do I increase the detail in the shadow areas? Right now they look very black, but there isn't much detail in them, and I'm not sure which things/levels I need to adjust to bring those out. Would that be in adjusting contrast levels or something? This is a problem I notice on most TVs and computers, but I'm sure that isn't actually the way it looked when it was shot. The only time I've seen it not be a problem is when watching a film on a big movie screen. Even on very bright screens this seems to be a problem. I followed the calibration levels given for the s60 above. Thanks bunches!

Set the gamma at 2.2. I assume you have properly calibrated black level, i.e. 'Brightness', via the Disney WOW disc. You will need to re-calibrate 'brightness' after changing the gamma.

Last edited by RWetmore; Yesterday at 02:08 AM.
post #7415 of 7417 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Set the gamma at 2.2. I assume you have properly calibrated black level, i.e. 'Brightness', via the Disney WOW disc. You will need to re-calibrate 'brightness' after changing the gamma.
Gamma was at 2.2. I changed it to 2.0 and that helped. I have the WOW disc but no blue ray player yet so I can't use it. Went to buy a BDP the other day and the selection was crap so I'm going to order one and have it delivered this week. Then I'll be able to get the levels better. I used most of the levels dmtaub provided. I tweeked a few of them after I posted this last night. I'm really looking forward to using to wow disc to get everything nearly perfect but that won't happen for a few days. At any rate, thanks bunches for responding.
post #7416 of 7417 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Gamma set to 2.0 yields about a gamma of about 2.1 on my set, which is too low. The standard is 2.2 and many people prefer a slightly higher gamma than 2.2. If you already had gamma set to 2.2 and you're not getting good shadow detail, adjust the 'brightness' control (it's really the black level control).
jazzycat likes this.
post #7417 of 7417 Unread Today, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Gamma set to 2.0 yields about a gamma of about 2.1 on my set, which is too low. The standard is 2.2 and many people prefer a slightly higher gamma than 2.2. If you already had gamma set to 2.2 and you're not getting good shadow detail, adjust the 'brightness' control (it's really the black level control).
Thanks for this. I reset it to 2.2 and used brightness like you said. I also increased the contrast and color a bit and that helped a lot. I can't get over the picture quality on this TV. I'm loving it!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread