Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

Old 09-11-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
You can lay it down flat, but use something firm but soft to support the TV. The concern is, not to damage the glass screen.

Ian
Thank you! I looked at the diagram, which wasn't very helpful because of the low dpi when printed. I decided to just remove all the outside screw except the stand and the back cover came right off

Good News everyone! My 42" is back to working with a re-used Main Board I got from eBay.

I'll post some pictures later of something interesting I found out.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You can also service it upright on the stand. Here's a download query from a search at elektrotanya using Panasonic TC-P60S60 in the search box. You can try other models to get different style manuals such as service, technical and training. when you click on a link it takes about 30 seconds to process your manual and you are allowed two per day.

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...at2=schematics

edit: Okay I was a little late, hehe. Glad you were able to get it up and running.
Cravit8 likes this.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
Oh, come on, not this again. Panasonic themselves have stated their plasmas have half-life excess of 100,000 hours. Panel life is never an issue with today's plasmas. I've abused all 4 of my plasmas with PC use and all are fine. For exotic plasma owners like you, sure you'd like to control your usage, but there are also so many good plasmas at dirt cheap price that aren't extinct quite yet. Really, once you've used a plasma for a PC use, you can't go back to LCD TVs. Unlike LCD monitors, LCD TVs are ridden with so much PWM/brightness that actually hurts my eyes more than PWM from plasmas.
The half-life of a plasma isn't the issue, it's the higher wear-and-tear of all the complex digital circuitry that makes the TV's last much shorter than a simple PC monitor.

I got 22,000 hours on my 2007 Philips 9630 plasma and I might be able to get more with a simple fix. And I know some people who have plasmas from 2005 or 2006 that have 30,000+ hours.

But I doubt many plasma HDTVs will last for 100,000 hours.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
You can lay it down flat, but use something firm but soft to support the TV. The concern is, not to damage the glass screen. Ian
Place the bezel/frame on 2 parallel boards each covered with cloths or towels or something soft. The glass won't be pressured and the bezel/frame will take the weight.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This thread is great. Thanks everyone for your advice. Love my TCP50S60.

Here are the settings I'm using. Does anyone recommend anything else? I use it primarily as a second computer monitor.

Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 0
Color: 50
Color temp: Warm1
Panel Brightness: Med
Gamma: 2.2
HDMI Range: Nonstandard

Unfortunately I copied someone elses service mode color settings and didn't save the originals so the colors could be way off. Don't suspect there's anything I can do about that since I have no colorimeter, but I will try to get my hands on the Disney Wow disk and maybe that can help.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko313 View Post
This thread is great. Thanks everyone for your advice. Love my TCP50S60.

Here are the settings I'm using. Does anyone recommend anything else? I use it primarily as a second computer monitor.

Mode: Cinema
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 0
Color: 50
Color temp: Warm1
Panel Brightness: Med
Gamma: 2.2
HDMI Range: Nonstandard

Unfortunately I copied someone elses service mode color settings and didn't save the originals so the colors could be way off. Don't suspect there's anything I can do about that since I have no colorimeter, but I will try to get my hands on the Disney Wow disk and maybe that can help.
The service mode settings should be the same for HD and SD. So if you feed it a 480i/p source and copy down the service mode settings then input those while feeding it an HD source. At least that's how it works on older models.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
The service mode settings should be the same for HD and SD. So if you feed it a 480i/p source and copy down the service mode settings then input those while feeding it an HD source. At least that's how it works on older models.
I can confirm that works. Thank you.
whipit likes this.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Last night while watching Fury on BD I found that my S60's black levels weren't as deep as I would like. My settings are pretty similar to those posted by others. When there is ambient light in the room or when I have my bias light on, the blacks seem very deep. However, watching Fury last night, I noticed a lot of the dark scenes inside the tank, particularly in the final scenes, the black bars, and the movie frame itself, were a very dark grey. With all of the lights off, watching the movie at night in my basement in total darkness, I could tell that the blacks didn't come close to matching the black bezel, or the darkness of the room.

Do you think I am being too judgmental, or could there be a setting on my set that is off? I know the blacks on this set are very good, but I know the panel won't be totally black since the phosphors have to have some pre-charge. I have had it for two years, but we just bought this house recently, so I haven't subjected it to viewing in such a dark environment with no ambient or bias lighting. It had me pining for OLED, which I intend to put off for a few years since my 65" S60 has been an excellent TV, and OLED prices are at such a premium.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My S60 has the best black level of any of my displays. It is noticeably darker than my 2010 GT25. You need to adjust/calibrate it in your darkest environment. Use one of the other picture modes when there is light.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Have you noticed this issue on other BD's? If Rob's suggestion doesn't offer any noticeable improvement, I would guess that it may be the film. Not all sources are created equal. On some content you may find tweaking your black level settings will help, but it may crush blacks on other sources. I use the cinema mode for most viewing, but occasionally go to the custom mode when I need to tweak my settings on certain movies that look either over saturated, too dark, or a bit washed out.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 09-26-2015, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 187
In a totally darkened room, I would think you need a minimum luminance level of not more than 0.001 fL. and probably more like not more than 0.0001 fL. -- for the blacks to completely blend or match the black bezel. The S60's mll. is only about 0.003 fL. -- at least 0.002 fL. too high for that. None the less, the S60 is still a great set, IMO. I do sometimes watch mine in a darkened room and while I do wish the blacks were a little darker, it's a still a great and transparent picture -- especially without the anti-glare coating the other sets have.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Have you noticed this issue on other BD's? If Rob's suggestion doesn't offer any noticeable improvement, I would guess that it may be the film. Not all sources are created equal. On some content you may find tweaking your black level settings will help, but it may crush blacks on other sources. I use the cinema mode for most viewing, but occasionally go to the custom mode when I need to tweak my settings on certain movies that look either over saturated, too dark, or a bit washed out.

Ian
Excellent point! I've seen way too many problems blaming the display device when it is really the source.
mailiang likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I do love my S64. It has an amazing picture, and Blade Runner on BD looked excellent with the lights off. I already returned Fury to Netflix, but I'll follow some of the advice here. I typically use the Cinema picture mode.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Really strange, my S60's look better as they and my eyes get older
Old 10-31-2015, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Does anyone know of this TV has the fine Gamma adjustments in the service menu? That is, the fine adjustments for Gamma in the regular menu of the ST60?
In the Menu, go to Picture, then Pro settings, and "gamma detail adjustment" is near the bottom
Old 11-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What's the consensus regarding 24p mode on this TV? If i remember correctly, that was one of the main differences between this and the ST60 in a light controlled environment, but I am interested which settings are preferred.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle_theory View Post
What's the consensus regarding 24p mode on this TV? If i remember correctly, that was one of the main differences between this and the ST60 in a light controlled environment, but I am interested which settings are preferred.

Correct, the S60 doesn't have the option to do 24fps natively, where as the ST60 does.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Correct, the S60 doesn't have the option to do 24fps natively, where as the ST60 does.
You should experience less judder on the ST60, but judder has never been a issue with my S60 when streaming or watching BD's and I watch BD's and stream 24p content from Netflix every week.

Ian

Old 11-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

I try to find similar posts that apply to the issue on our tv but due to the overwhelmed informations here I couldn't find it. We have Panasonic tcp42s60 mfg Jan 2013, purchased Nov 2013.

Problem starts last year while it won't turn on but with single blink every four seconds. All I did was unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, the problem went away. We weren't use the tv on daily basics so it happened few times like that until we moved it to my mother in law's room couple months ago. It works fine for couple days, then one day it went off after a minute she turned it on then single blink for every four seconds. I tried different plug-ins, tv performed the same. It turned on for less than a minute then went off with single blink every four seconds. So I unplugged it and let it sit for days, during that I called Panasonic tried to find out if any trouble shooting they could show me. Unfortunately the tv is not under warranty anymore and their was nothing Panasonic tech can help out on the phone. Instead of taking the tv to the repair shop and spend hundreds to fix it, I really try to do it myself in order to save money (if it's an easy fix).

So I openned the back of the tv and checked on the power supply board didn't see any capacitor damaged. The reason I did this cuz I found a video on YouTube saying the old Panasonic has similar problem could be burned capacitor on the power supply board. Anyway, since no capacitor was burned I plugged in the tv with the back openned, the tv stayed on for over an hour till I turned it off. Then today, I put the back back to the tv and plugged in, it worked fine at the beginning the tv stayed on for half and hour then I turned it off. Issue started when I turned it back on, stay on for less than a minute then off following by single blink every four seconds. So I kept unplugging and plugging, it worked occasionally. Even the tv stayed on but once I turned it off and turned it on again the issue started, so I had to do things over.

Has anyone had problem like this before? Your help will be highly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Panasonic tcp4s60 went off following by single blink every 4 seconds

Hi everyone,

I try to find similar posts that apply to the issue on our tv but due to the overwhelmed informations here I couldn't find it. We have Panasonic tcp42s60 mfg Jan 2013, purchased Nov 2013.

Problem starts last year while it won't turn on but with single blink every four seconds. All I did was unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, the problem went away. We weren't use the tv on daily basics so it happened few times like that until we moved it to my mother in law's room couple months ago. It works fine for couple days, then one day it went off after a minute she turned it on then single blink for every four seconds. I tried different plug-ins, tv performed the same. It turned on for less than a minute then went off with single blink every four seconds. So I unplugged it and let it sit for days, during that I called Panasonic tried to find out if any trouble shooting they could show me. Unfortunately the tv is not under warranty anymore and their was nothing Panasonic tech can help out on the phone. Instead of taking the tv to the repair shop and spend hundreds to fix it, I really try to do it myself in order to save money (if it's an easy fix).

So I openned the back of the tv and checked on the power supply board didn't see any capacitor damaged. The reason I did this cuz I found a video on YouTube saying the old Panasonic has similar problem could be burned capacitor on the power supply board. Anyway, since no capacitor was burned I plugged in the tv with the back openned, the tv stayed on for over an hour till I turned it off. Then today, I put the back back to the tv and plugged in, it worked fine at the beginning the tv stayed on for half and hour then I turned it off. Issue started when I turned it back on, stay on for less than a minute then off following by single blink every four seconds. So I kept unplugging and plugging, it worked occasionally. Even the tv stayed on but once I turned it off and turned it on again the issue started, so I had to do things over.

Has anyone had problem like this before? Your help will be highly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlingweng View Post
Then today, I put the back back to the tv and plugged in, it worked fine at the beginning the tv stayed on for half and hour then I turned it off. Issue started when I turned it back on, stay on for less than a minute then off following by single blink every four seconds. So I kept unplugging and plugging, it worked occasionally. Even the tv stayed on but once I turned it off and turned it on again the issue started, so I had to do things over.

Seems like the power board is failing. I had an LCD that did that and fixed it with a new fuse. You can start de-soldering parts to continuity test or just replace the whole board.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
Old 11-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Thanks for your reply! I'm not a skillful person do the soldering...so either have someone fixed the power supply board or replace it? Sounds only the power supply has problem right?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I'm not a skillful person do the soldering...so either have someone fixed the power supply board or replace it? Sounds only the power supply has problem right?
According to the S60 service manual the one blink code points to a failure of the "A" board. That's the mainboard which has the input jacks on it. Maybe you can find another board or have yours repaired. Some folks here mentioned there's a repair service on ebay.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:06 AM

Thank you! We couldn't find the Manuel I'll try to find it online and look up the code.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! We couldn't find the Manuel I'll try to find it online and look up the code.
I have the "Technical Guide" for the S/ST60 series. In it there's code charts, voltage and scope checks, board layouts and a few other things. Also has trouble trees. If you like I can email it, it's about 3megs so pretty small.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM

I can't pm you neither post my email address here because I have very little posts. Ok I have to post this one just so I m eligible to post my email address....
Old 11-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
I have the "Technical Guide" for the S/ST60 series. In it there's code charts, voltage and scope checks, board layouts and a few other things. Also has trouble trees. If you like I can email it, it's about 3megs so pretty small.
Yes please email it to bowling_weng@hotmail.com Thank you so very much!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes please email it...Thank you so very much!
I'll send it out tonight when I get home.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I switched the TV settings to 24 Hz (24p) a while ago and I like it. CNET mentioned the flicker, but I honestly don't notice anymore. Try both and see which one you like.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I switched the TV settings to 24 Hz (24p) a while ago and I like it. CNET mentioned the flicker, but I honestly don't notice anymore. Try both and see which one you like.

24 hz setting on a TV? The S60 has a 60 and 48 hz setting. I have my BD player set to native (24p), which allows the set do the processing. In my particular case, this renders the best results.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 11-11-2015 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60