Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #7561 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Ugh, this is confusing

So, according to the sticker on the back of my TV... I have this TV.

I start out that way, because the support materials I can find are very confusing. According to the in menu software update feature I have the latest firmware 2208, but on the web, there seems to be a newer version of firmware. 2214

shop DOT panasonic DOT com/support-only/TC-P65S60.html

This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to see if I can get to the bottom of a problem where i'm seeing double images on content. I'm hoping that there is some new mode enabled by new firmware to turn off some image processing, because that's about all I can think of that might be causing the visual artifacts that I'm seeing.

The firmware update instructions i get to from the link above tell me to put the new firmware on an SD card. This TV doesn't have an SD card...

EDIT: I specifically have TC-P65S60 Bought from Amazon a couple years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakfest View Post
So, according to the sticker on the back of my TV... I have this TV.

I start out that way, because the support materials I can find are very confusing. According to the in menu software update feature I have the latest firmware 2208, but on the web, there seems to be a newer version of firmware. 2214

shop DOT panasonic DOT com/support-only/TC-P65S60.html

This is driving me nuts. I'm trying to see if I can get to the bottom of a problem where i'm seeing double images on content. I'm hoping that there is some new mode enabled by new firmware to turn off some image processing, because that's about all I can think of that might be causing the visual artifacts that I'm seeing.

The firmware update instructions i get to from the link above tell me to put the new firmware on an SD card. This TV doesn't have an SD card...

EDIT: I specifically have TC-P65S60 Bought from Amazon a couple years ago.
Unfortunately, the menu's firmware update feature does not work on the S60 and was never resolved. You would need to go on Panasonic's website:http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/TC-P65S60.html You can scroll down to the link, and then download load it to a flash drive. That being said, I doubt your double image issue can be corrected by a firmware update. You may want to post a pic of your set showing this issue and also provide what sources you are using. the more info we have the better.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 11-19-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Typo
post #7563 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Unfortunately, the menu's firmware update feature does not work on the S60 and was never resolved. You would need to go on Panasonic's website: -URL removed because of vbulletin limits- You can scroll down to the link, and then download load it to a flash drive. That being said, I doubt your double image issue can be corrected by a firmware update. You may want to post a pic of your set showing this issue and also provide what sources you are using. the more info we have the better.

Ian
Thanks for the reply Ian.

The problem I had though was that the instructions said to do the upgrade via the SD port... Which doesn't exist on this TV. I tried to do the upgrade via USB instead, but it didn't work. But I just now realized that I was doing things in the wrong order. I put the usb stick in before turning the TV on, I needed to do it the other way around.

I tried to post a link, but vbulletin won't let me until i have more posts. Here is a "link" to IMGR showing the double image issue. This is from the game Fallout 4 and i'm just spinning the character, so there is a lot of horizontal movement of the content.

It's as if it's always showing me 2 frames at once instead of just one. (best way I can describe it)

imgur DOT com/a/TRyHs
post #7564 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I put the usb stick in before turning the TV on, I needed to do it the other way around.
The firmware is being upgraded now. I'll report back if there is any difference.
post #7565 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
The firmware is being upgraded now. I'll report back if there is any difference.
Don't see any new options in the settings or any difference in how the gameplay looks with the new firmware installed.

/John
post #7566 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't see any new options in the settings or any difference in how the gameplay looks with the new firmware installed.

/John
Like I posted, I don't believe it's a firmware issue with the set. Does it only have this problem with games? If so, it may be the console or related hardware.

Ian
Steakfest likes this.

post #7567 of 7568 Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Ian,

I found another thread on this site that starts with a really good description of what I'm seeing.

30fps gaming at 60hz and the effects of frame doubling?

Definitely seems like an issue that appears when dealing with 30fps content on a 60hz display. What is still left to be determined is whether or not the "frame doubling" is caused by the source or the way the TV processes the 30fps content to display on the 60Hz display.

I just don't know enough about how the signal over HDMI works to even begin to guess what is going on. If anything I'm getting the impression that the 30vs.60 thing has been around for a long time, but was less noticeable on earlier flat panel technology, and the high quality of Plasma actually makes it MORE visible, and that's partly my problem.

Question about the S60 series now... Does it have a setting that is meant to make motion look smooth? I swear over the last couple of days, I've played with every setting in all the menus, but I don't think I yet found anything that helped make this issue less noticeable.

/John
post #7568 of 7568 Old 11-20-2016, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Question about the S60 series now... Does it have a setting that is meant to make motion look smooth? I swear over the last couple of days, I've played with every setting in all the menus, but I don't think I yet found anything that helped make this issue less noticeable./John
Some PDP's offer an optional 96hz setting which reduces judder, this feature is not available on the S60. Since I've yet to see any noticeable judder when watching most 24p content, it hasn't been an issue for me.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread