Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 7070 Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benareeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i just bought the ut50...and while it has a "good" picture...there are still some otherwise annoying parts of the picture. I'll be returning it...

I see above that the poster mentions that the S60 is better than st50 because it's brighter.

If anything...with increased brightness, I see increased noise and grain in the picture. It's really the only downfall of plasma...it's too damn noisy!

solution for me would likely be a 42" set...so the noise is less visible.

One other note...big, closeup faces don't have enough contour or color to give a sense of reality. They look too much like one color...

any change in either of these regards?

Ben
benareeno is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 7070 Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Widmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnab32 View Post

I know the S60 has wireless LAN, can anyone confirm this means we'll have access to apps such as Netflix through the tv?

All the online marketing makes it clear that while it doesn't have the full "my homepage" and web browser, it has access to the basic streaming services like Netflix. I think I'll be getting a blu-ray player as well so that would cover that in any case.
Widmark is offline  
post #63 of 7070 Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Newbie
 
rnab32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widmark View Post

All the online marketing makes it clear that while it doesn't have the full "my homepage" and web browser, it has access to the basic streaming services like Netflix. I think I'll be getting a blu-ray player as well so that would cover that in any case.

Good to know...thanks. Netflix is all I care for, oh and HBO GO if they ever make that available.
rnab32 is offline  
post #64 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Decisions decisions... I currently have a 55st30 which is great. I sometimes use 3d but not often. I'm looking to upgrade. Is a 55s60 going to be an actual upgrade? Panasonic has them for 850 through epp. And if the s60 is better then my st30 should I just go for a 60s60 for 1100? Again 3d isn't a big factor, I usually just watch sports and blu ray. Thanks
trp3383 is offline  
post #65 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
An s60, from an ST50?! No way would i downgrade models just for one year newer. Putting aside panel class, aren't you losing the st's glare filter too?

edit, sorry misread st30. Still unless that was a generation with floating blacks or fluctuating brightness or you had some problem with it & you had to, I wouldn't go ST to S.
Leon! is offline  
post #66 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

An s60, from an ST50?! No way would i downgrade models just for one year newer. Putting aside panel class, aren't you losing the st's glare filter too?

edit, sorry misread st30. Still unless that was a generation with floating blacks or fluctuating brightness or you had some problem with it & you had to, I wouldn't go ST to S.
He never mentioned an ST50.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #67 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just asking pq wise. It's 2 models behind. Would the blacks and color accuracy be better?
trp3383 is offline  
post #68 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

I'm just asking pq wise. It's 2 models behind. Would the blacks and color accuracy be better?

Probably. Don't you have the anti glare filter on your st30 though? s60 is like the u series in that regard, & the lower grade panel.
Leon! is offline  
post #69 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

Decisions decisions... I currently have a 55st30 which is great. I sometimes use 3d but not often. I'm looking to upgrade. Is a 55s60 going to be an actual upgrade? Panasonic has them for 850 through epp. And if the s60 is better then my st30 should I just go for a 60s60 for 1100? Again 3d isn't a big factor, I usually just watch sports and blu ray. Thanks

Do you have a light controlled room? If so the lack of filter on the S60 won't matter to you. Other than that, I believe that there would be noticeable improvements for you.

Edit: Also, I bet that 55" has shrunk since you first bought it. 60" with HD signal will be sweet. wink.gif

sheshechic is offline  
post #70 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My room does have 3 windows and a door but i can control the light. That's my feeling on the size. 60 would be $1180 shipped for the 60s60 and $1360 for the 55st60.......
trp3383 is offline  
post #71 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
fairchild99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'm also torn I wanted to try out 3D but I only have a single blu-ray which came with a 3D disc (Prometheus) and aside from that no other content, but there is the potentially better panel on the ST60 (anti-glare filter, better motion from the 2500 Focused field drive and the 3D)

Biggest I can go is 50" and I would be going from a 42" S2 Panasonic to a 50" S60 or 50" ST60.

Anybody know if the 2500 Focused field drive is something that's always on or something that has to be enabled similair to my S2 with Blur Reduction. (basically it was advertised as having 1100 lines of motion resolution vs 900 for the lesser models but I don't run with it on anyway so it's a feature I don't even use)

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

fairchild99 is offline  
post #72 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

My room does have 3 windows and a door but i can control the light. That's my feeling on the size. 60 would be $1180 shipped for the 60s60 and $1360 for the 55st60.......
Are you saying that the st costs more than the s? I am confused by your post.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #73 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

My room does have 3 windows and a door but i can control the light. That's my feeling on the size. 60 would be $1180 shipped for the 60s60 and $1360 for the 55st60.......

Looks like you did have the glare filter on the st30 btw, so depending on how much light, controlling the glare might be a different task with s60. But even then, there were some viewers who claimed to prefer the look of the U50 without the filter vs. those with. So as said might not be a problem for you.

Guys what practical differences if any do "shades of gradation" make?
st30 6,144
s60 6,144
st50 12,288
st60 12,288

Either way with that little of a price difference, 60 vs. 60", I'd go st60.
Leon! is offline  
post #74 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
So, there is an S60 and an ST60. Thats where I was getting confused.
sheshechic likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #75 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That price was a 55st60. A 60 would be $1550.
trp3383 is offline  
post #76 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

Looks like you did have the glare filter on the st30 btw, so depending on how much light, controlling the glare might be a different task with s60. But even then, there were some viewers who claimed to prefer the look of the U50 without the filter vs. those with. So as said might not be a problem for you.

Guys what practical differences if any do "shades of gradation" make?
st30 6,144
s60 6,144
st50 12,288
st60 12,288

Either way with that little of a price difference, 60 vs. 60", I'd go st60.

IMO that shades of gradation makes little to no differrence in picture quality more of a marketing tool

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #77 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
^thanks, figured as much.

Sorry misread your model no.'s again trp, that is a more sizeable jump in price. Either way i just don't see why, if not significantly better & bigger. Unless there are complaints with your st30.
Leon! is offline  
post #78 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Member
 
trp3383's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just picky and want the newest stuff. No complaints. Blacks could be better
trp3383 is offline  
post #79 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

I'm just picky and want the newest stuff. No complaints. Blacks could be better

I have the St30 also good set but yes the blacks will be better and the contrast ratio, color accuracy. The ST30 is no dog but it doesnt measure up to the 2012 models. I am getting a VT50 delivered tomorrow. Those ST60 prices are great imo even if it is no better than the ST50.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #80 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Another point regarding S60 vs ST30 is that it won't have the floating blacks or fluctuating brightness issues either.

sheshechic is offline  
post #81 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Another point regarding S60 vs ST30 is that it won't have the floating blacks or fluctuating brightness issues either.

ST30 doesn't have floating blacks that was fixed in 2011 and the Fbr was fixed via firmware update
sheshechic likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #82 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Member
 
superbooga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

IMO that shades of gradation makes little to no differrence in picture quality more of a marketing tool

Actually the increased shades of graduation do reduce the amount of dithering, but it only works when set in Cinema mode. Cinema mode has significantly worse black levels than the other modes, so it actually makes zero difference for the majority of users, who use the other modes.
sheshechic likes this.
superbooga is offline  
post #83 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 4,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Interesting and hdant heard about the black levels is that all 2012s?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
post #84 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Lestat Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: THE COLD SIDE
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The S60 has a very small difference in black level for the better than the ST from last year...

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

Lestat Phoenix is offline  
post #85 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Another point regarding S60 vs ST30 is that it won't have the floating blacks or fluctuating brightness issues either.

ST30 doesn't have floating blacks that was fixed in 2011 and the Fbr was fixed via firmware update

Good news!

sheshechic is offline  
post #86 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post

The S60 has a very small difference in black level for the better than the ST from last year...

Who has measured the S60?

sheshechic is offline  
post #87 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
hotskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Who has measured the S60?

He has both Tvs
sheshechic likes this.
hotskins is offline  
post #88 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Widmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I really really want to buy a 42s60, right now, I just cannot get a straight answer about motion smoothing! I've been told "it can be turned off" but I've read the entire eHelp document, which far as I understand is the manual for all the features, including the advanced picture adjustments, and there is no mention. Can somebody please allay my fears here?
Widmark is offline  
post #89 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widmark View Post

I really really want to buy a 42s60, right now, I just cannot get a straight answer about motion smoothing! I've been told "it can be turned off" but I've read the entire eHelp document, which far as I understand is the manual for all the features, including the advanced picture adjustments, and there is no mention. Can somebody please allay my fears here?

You can always turn it off, it has different settings, weak,medium,strong or off. Why don't you just go to the audio video store and check it for yourself.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #90 of 7070 Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Member
 
Widmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

You can always turn it off, it has different settings, weak,medium,strong or off. Why don't you just go to the audio video store and check it for yourself.

Because the Best Buy near me doesn't have any S60s and because according to it's manual, it doesn't even exist. There is no mention anywhere in it's help that even suggests it exists and can be changed. Every other detail is laid out in the eHelp. 24p Direct in, 3:2 pulldown etc. No mention of IFC at all.
Widmark is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off