post #1171 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Micke's 65PS64 Review:

It arrived safely and the shipper kindly helped me get the pedestal together and get the LARGE panel on the stand. HVH transport got their part done IN ONE DAY. Whereas, RAC seemingly can't pick up the old panel in less than 2 weeks...

Where did you buy it from? Who shipped it to you?

Panasonic tc-p60st60 | Onkyo tx-nr626 | Paradigm CT 110 | HTPC | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 Slim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy1234 View Post

After seeing Costco price of $1399 and Sams price updated now of $1398, I called Sams to try and price match, but their policy is only 7 days somehow. I started out polite but after some discussion I was starting to get a little heated. I was finally able to get transferred to a supervisor and get a refund of $75 for price difference and tax.

So for anyone that ordered at $1448, its worth a shot, but you will need to get to a supervisor to accomplish anything I imagine.

Thanks for the info.
post #1173 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansebiz View Post

Where did you buy it from? Who shipped it to you?

Sam's Club. Get it from CostCo if at all possible. There's some kidding in that... some - not so much. biggrin.gif

Sam's used Seko as the main shipper.

Amazon and Seko and HVH: Recommended.

Sam's Club and RAC: Fail.
post #1174 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

I ordered my 65PS64 on the 20th. It was delivered yesterday. Called a csr; escalated to a supervisor explaining that the TV was here less than one day due to delayed shipping. She refused to do anything about the price match. I decided to politely apply some pressure to see if an exception could be made. I said that I saw in the AVS Forum that other buyers a few days outside the window on this very model got the price match to Sam's new price. She made it clear she didn't care and refused to even consider doing anything.

While I deduced that this supe would have enjoyed a blow up, that isn't my way. And it's not just to prevent giving a troublemaker the satisfaction of pushing a customer's buttons. Always calm. Zen, etc. I asked if I could use the 90 day return policy to return the TV and get it for the proper price from CostCo? She said I could and didn't care if they lost the sale. I asked if I could cancel my recently established Sam's Club membership for a refund? That was fine with her and she didn't care. I said I didn't think it was worth losing a sale and a new customer over providing the proper price. She didn't care. I asked for escalation to her manager. She said she could do that but they can't switch calls to her manager. Mgr will have to call me in 3 to 4 days. I asked her to please do so.

There are probably better ways to handle the above. Just fwiw, outside 7 days, it might not happen. In fact, based on this supervisor's poor attitude, I suspect it might not happen INSIDE 7 days.

Would I really return the TV over this? Probably not. OTOH, if the manager is also "pretend polite" with a tone that is clearly trying to provoke - and responses that make clear they don't value me as a customer AT ALL, maybe I will. If the price drops to a 100+ tax difference? With the above, probably I will return it.

Will I cancel the warranty and Sam's club membership? Maybe, who knows. No sense going non-linear over 50 bucks and tax, IMO. Life's too short, etc.

A couple of things I'd like in this nice, national, public forum: Sam's Club AIN'T Amazon dot com. No comparison. The Sam's csr was actually polite whereas the undercurrent and tone of the supervisor was openly hostile.

If returns to Sam's are likewise handled in a hostile way, I sure hope the TV doesn't develop problems.

I invite others to give details about their interactions with Sam's Club over this. If Sam's Club thinks their supes should be passive/aggressive, I think the least we can do is shine plenty of sunlight on that fact. To borrow/modify some text from Amazon: "Sam's Club - absolutely NOT the most customer-centric corporation on earth."

At minimum, I personally won't be making any major purchases at Sam's Club again.

End Zen rant. Peace and all that,

mm

I actually called yesterday also, but gave up a little too easy. I imagine it would have ended like yours if I had tried harder as the rep did not sound excited to be working there. The first CSR i talked to today was not really super helpful, and he also didn't care if I returned and cancelled membership, but he was not being rude about it, just stating "policy". After I asked, he quickly transferred to an elevated supervisor and she was as nice as I could ask for. Once I got to her, it only took about a minute or two to explain and she said she would do it this once and calculated the right amount with taxes. Her name was Nicole i believe.

I say if you get a bad rep, just hang up and call again. Phone option 5, option 2, then option 7 i think it was. You should not have to wait to speak with a supervisor for 3-4 days.

edit: I see you said manager, nvm. I still think you just need to find a good supervisor. And i also believe the customer shouldn't have to look for a good supervisor, but that is why some stores are better than others I guess.
Still undecided if I will keep my Sams membership for the whole year or not. I have a Costco but started this membership just to buy the TV.
post #1175 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I actually called yesterday also, but gave up a little too easy. I imagine it would have ended like yours if I had tried harder as the rep did not sound excited to be working there. The first CSR i talked to today was not really super helpful, and he also didn't care if I returned and cancelled membership, but he was not being rude about it, just stating "policy". After I asked, he quickly transferred to an elevated supervisor and she was as nice as I could ask for. Once I got to her, it only took about a minute or two to explain and she said she would do it this once and calculated the right amount with taxes. Her name was Nicole i believe.

I say if you get a bad rep, just hang up and call again. Phone option 5, option 2, then option 7 i think it was. You should not have to wait to speak with a supervisor for 3-4 days.

edit: I see you said manager, nvm. I still think you just need to find a good supervisor. And i also believe the customer shouldn't have to look for a good supervisor, but that is why some stores are better than others I guess.
Still undecided if I will keep my Sams membership for the whole year or not. I have a Costco but started this membership just to buy the TV.

Thanks for the input. Good to know; I may give that a try.
post #1176 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

There was some discussion in here before about one guy seeing the S64 having wavy or rippled glass. I said my 55ST60 had ripples in spades but it didn't affect content; I only saw it when the display was OFF and from pretty steep side angles. I thought I was being too picky because of my background which is still possible.

My particular S64 has far LESS ripples than my 55ST60 had.
post #1177 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
post #1178 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenheimer View Post

The Costco Panasonic 65" 1080p Plasma TV TC-65PS64 is now on their web site.

http://www.costco.com/Panasonic-65%22-1080p-Plasma-TV-TC-65PS64.product.100043008.html?catalogId=10701&categoryId=30771&identifier=plasma-tvs&langId=-1&storeId=10301

Hysterical...right when i thought i had everything figured out and ordered,...Sam's club drops the price and the S64 goes up on Costco's site LOL

$99 is pretty steep for S&H. Sam's shipping is $49
post #1179 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

The Costco in Burnsville, MN had one on display, four new-in-boxes sitting there, and after I took mine they replaced it with another. So they seem to be stocked well. cool.gif

I seriously love this TV. It's sooo big and beautiful. I accidentally left a song paused on my PS3 for nearly an hour, and even though the PS3 screensaver kicked in (which just dims the screen a bit), I thought for sure I was in for some image retention. To my pleasant surprise I hit a button, the screen brightened, I exited, and zero image retention folks. Ohhh that was a good feeling. I have ~15 hours on the set, and I thought I was doomed hahaha!

If you have a Costco in the area, you really can't go wrong. I'm still so thrilled at the price for performance that I started a thread in the Deals sub-forum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470172/panasonic-tc-65ps64-65-plasma-1399-99-5-year-warranty-for-only-99-99

Costco in Burnsville? Do you mean the Eden Prarie one? Hmmm... I just called the one in Maple Grove, and they told me that they don't have any in stock and their depot doesn't, either. They said that it's listed as "active", but they're not even on order, so he wasn't really sure what was going on. That sucks. The one in Eden Prarie/Burnsville is quite a ways away from me, so I'd be hard-pressed to drive down there to get it. I suppose I'll just have to wait until the Maple Grove location gets some in stock (if they ever do).
post #1180 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

After seeing Costco price of $1399 and Sams price updated now of $1398...
So for anyone that ordered at $1448, its worth a shot, but you will need to get to a supervisor to accomplish anything I imagine.

Ooo! Good thing I didn't buy it from Sam's last week. Now I can save $50 (well $30 since I now have to buy membership less $10 cash card). I'm going to buy it this weekend. Since it won't even fit upright in a full-size SUV, and I don't know anyone nearby with a large pickup, I guess I'll have to suck up the $59 delivery.

By the way, I haven't read through all 40 pages of this thread, but for you guys that went from a large CRT to a plasma, do plasmas have more or less glare? I'll be going from a 34" CRT to the 65" S64. Maybe the glare is more noticeable on a larger size screen? I think eventually I'll have to put up dark curtains on my large windows in my living/dining/kitchen (probably somewhat expensive as I initially spent close to $1000 for mini-blinds on all my windows after moving in).
post #1181 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

I just came from a 36" curved CRT. With that one, glare could be annoying but usually only on one small spot due to the curvature. With a flat CRT, would probably be different.
post #1182 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM

I have two question on IR with this TV.

1) After about 1000 hours on the set, and contrast set to around 80, about how long would it take for an image to get burned in? Are we talking 30 mins, a couple hours, or does it take more like 5+ hours to get IR?

2) Does pixel orbiter reduce picture quality at all with the exception of shifting the screen slightly? Meaning does the processing that the shifting of pixels by the pixel orbiter cause the pq to get worse?
post #1183 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannchild View Post

I have two question on IR with this TV.

1) After about 1000 hours on the set, and contrast set to around 80, about how long would it take for an image to get burned in? Are we talking 30 mins, a couple hours, or does it take more like 5+ hours to get IR?

2) Does pixel orbiter reduce picture quality at all with the exception of shifting the screen slightly? Meaning does the processing that the shifting of pixels by the pixel orbiter cause the pq to get worse?

1) don't know, probably you would have to really really abuse it by leaving black bars for tons of hours or some UI from some game/app or some really bad logo like the History Channel one. (I'd think way more than 5+ hours, maybe 50+)

2) aside from the whole image being shifted and as a result you get some sort of overscan effect, that is the main loss of PQ. The pixel orbiter won't save you from IR or burn-in though, it'll just spread the IR around.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #1184 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Arkadian View Post

Hysterical...right when i thought i had everything figured out and ordered,...Sam's club drops the price and the S64 goes up on Costco's site LOL

$99 is pretty steep for S&H. Sam's shipping is $49

Hmm, since I have to get it shipped anyway, I might as well order online from Sam's rather than go in-store to buy and have them ship it. I thought their brochure said $59 for delivery - maybe that's for when you buy in store, then have it delivered - so I'd save $10 by ordering online, except they had at least 3 boxes plus the display model in stock at my local store. Does they charge online sales tax by your address instead of the nearest store? I'm located in an unincorporated county which would mean 3.4% sales tax instead of the store location sales tax of 8.2% ($47 estimated on the web site v. $115 in store sales tax!). The $68 tax savings (plus potential $10 shipping savings) is well worth paying full $40 membership over the local store $20 cash card bonus that ends this weekend.
post #1185 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by phekno 
Costco in Burnsville? Do you mean the Eden Prarie one? Hmmm...

Address: 14050 Burnhaven Dr, Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: (952) 229-6449

It really exists, trust me! It's where I bought my TV, lol. cool.gif
post #1186 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Sams club in apple valley has them in stock as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

Address: 14050 Burnhaven Dr, Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: (952) 229-6449

It really exists, trust me! It's where I bought my TV, lol. cool.gif
post #1187 of 7242 Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Hmm, since I have to get it shipped anyway, I might as well order online from Sam's rather than go in-store to buy and have them ship it. I thought their brochure said $59 for delivery - maybe that's for when you buy in store, then have it delivered - so I'd save $10 by ordering online, except they had at least 3 boxes plus the display model in stock at my local store. Does they charge online sales tax by your address instead of the nearest store? I'm located in an unincorporated county which would mean 3.4% sales tax instead of the store location sales tax of 8.2% ($47 estimated on the web site v. $115 in store sales tax!). The $68 tax savings (plus potential $10 shipping savings) is well worth paying full $40 membership over the local store $20 cash card bonus that ends this weekend.

My online order cost $49 shipped to NJ plus local sales tax. I'm guessing they will charge u the 8.2% if that's ur state's tax rate...who knows hopefully I'm wrong

Either way, around $1500 shipped for this TV is an unbelievable deal. Easily one of the best TV values I've come across...especially if u don't care about 3-D. The AR filter on the S64 is a major bonus, truly an exceptional bang for the buck!
moshock likes this.
post #1188 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is the ABL (auto brightness limiter) harsh on the 50 inch S60? Is it something you get used to? I think I read it was pretty instantaneous, but I wanted to double check. I may be looking at this TV within the next 6 months, specifically for

HD Gaming on 360/Wii U/PC
Retro gaming (virtual console on Wii, 480p Wii/GameCube games
Blu-Ray/Netflix
post #1189 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Is the ABL (auto brightness limiter) harsh on the 50 inch S60? Is it something you get used to? I think I read it was pretty instantaneous, but I wanted to double check. I may be looking at this TV within the next 6 months, specifically for

HD Gaming on 360/Wii U/PC
Retro gaming (virtual console on Wii, 480p Wii/GameCube games
Blu-Ray/Netflix

I can't say that I've noticed it myself while watching blu-ray's, streamed 720p content, cable TV, OTA TV, gaming through my PC (albeit only play Diablo 3 these days), some very light Xbox360 through the component connection....

There are two settings that affect the ABL, CATS (in each individual picture mode) and Power save under Eco navigation (make sure it's set to Standard and CATS is also off in there)

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #1190 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Did we ever figure out just how dark the blacks were on this set?

post #1191 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 View Post

so am i the only one noticing the false contouring? And is this a panel issue or processing like some have suggested in the st60 thread?

Posterization, yes, big time. I ended up returning thisTV because of that. If I looked for it I could see it at least 50% of the time minimum in indoor scenes. I can deal with a little in backgrounds after having plasmas for over 5 years but not all the time and not in faces like this TV. Outdoor scenes weren't as bad but I could still see it sometimes. I don't know how everyone doesn't see this unless they just think that's how things should look.
post #1192 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 11
Can anyone remark on the S60's ability to upscale 720p content? I returned a 55" UT50 two months ago because of some weirdness with the scaler in that set, i.e. things looked really "smudgey" and such (movies, PS3 games, any 720p source I tried). It was like it was applying a really weird filter or something that smoothed things out. I was really happy with the UT50 except for that and have been hoping to find another Panasonic plasma in my budget that can upscale a bit better.

*edit to make it clear I'm not talking about SOE
post #1193 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Sam's Club - "representative roulette" - update: another way to SUCCESS! to get the recent $50 price drop

When I xferred to member cancellation, a super nice gal named Amy wasn't about to lose an Advantage member over 50 bucks and immediately fixed it.
post #1194 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukid View Post

Can anyone remark on the S60's ability to upscale 720p content? I returned a 55" UT50 two months ago because of some weirdness with the scaler in that set, i.e. things looked really "smudgey" and such (movies, PS3 games, any 720p source I tried). It was like it was applying a really weird filter or something that smoothed things out. I was really happy with the UT50 except for that and have been hoping to find another Panasonic plasma in my budget that can upscale a bit better.

*edit to make it clear I'm not talking about SOE

I'm streaming Amazon Instant Video HD through a PS3 to my S64. I'm amazed at how good the video quality is.
post #1195 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM

I appreciate your thoughts. You can check what resolution the TV is using by hitting the Info button on the remote (I think it's the info button, it's been a while).
post #1196 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crukid View Post

I appreciate your thoughts. You can check what resolution the TV is using by hitting the Info button on the remote (I think it's the info button, it's been a while).

YW.
post #1197 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM

If it says 1080p then the Amazon app is upscaling the content for you (regardless of the video's native resolution). Netflix does the same thing on PS3, and I'd expect it to look excellent!

We do lot of 720p content in my house with the HTPC and PS3 (gaming, videos, etc) so upscaling is one of those things that's important since we don't have a receiver that does it and have to rely on the TV.

I'd be really interested to hear how it handles 720p. (Fancy changing the settings on the PS3 and giving it a whirl?)
post #1198 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Sam's Club - "representative roulette" - update: another way to SUCCESS! to get the recent $50 price drop

Ya, it's only 50 bucks. But still, all I have in this now is 2 calls and a little aggravation.

Called another Sam's Club rep today about trying to match THEIR recent price drop; same answer. Outside 7 days, I can pound sand. And they couldn't care less if I cancel my UPGRADE membership. I asked if cancelling my $100 membership will that remove my "no questions 90 day TV return policy"? On hold a long while; rep told me it would not and gave me a reference number to refer to her documentation in case anyone says different in the future. I would need a receipt for return whether I'm a Sam's Club member or not.

Phone xfer to cancellations dept - Amy. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. First super friendly person I've spoken to on this - not a hint of passive aggression or job hate or bad attitude. Amy politely asked why I was cancelling. Explained. She replied: "Wait a minute. Let me get this straight. The shipment was delayed. You called one day after you received the TV and OUR price has dropped $50 and they won't fix it for you??" I said that this is exactly the case - that I've actually called twice. Amy placed me on hold for about 30 seconds to read docs. Came back and sincerely apologized stating she couldn't believe they had done that and was making a $50 refund now.

So even if you don't plan to cancel your membership, if other steps fail, you could escalate as above as brinksmanship to see if it gets your price fixed. If not, at the last minute one could say they changed their mind on the cancellation.

If like me you bought Sam's Club 3 year warranty $179.93 and want to get it refunded so you can buy the more cost effective CostCo Square Trade warranty for $99, here is how to get your SC warranty refunded:

Write a letter to:

Nationwide Electronic Warranty
Renewal Cancellation
PO Box 587
Sterling, VA 20167

Required in letter:

Reason for return. Mine will be: "I obtained a similar Square Trade extended warranty for this TV. It was way less expensive than your warranty when purchased thru CostCo. Therefore, I have no need for your warranty."

Your contact name, address and tele

Copy of your receipt.

Takes 6 to 8 weeks for refund if ya' can believe that. That alone tells me I'd be in trouble with these guys if Teeva3 (my TV ;-) ever needs repairs. I get a lot of warranty offer junk mail, so I'll have to open those for awhile versus just shredding them since the warranty refund is supposedly done by check.

The warranty stuff above isn't some Jihad eek.gif against Sam's. Because Amy was so friendly, I'm keeping my Sam's Club membership.

Have you actually bought the SQ warranty at Costco for the TV you got at Sam's? When I activated mine it required the TV I bought to be on the same receipt from Costco. In fact, it verified my member number and looked up the sales records directly from Costco. I don't know if you can use the Costco warranty on a non-Costco purchase. Seems like that answer is no.

Don't cancel too quick...

MD
post #1199 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

crukid, YW.

Ok, streaming "Fringe" on Amazon in HD. Push i on the panny remote. It says 1080p / custom / full

It's on "custom" because I just previously had slides running.

Does that mean Amazon is actually sending 1080p HD?? If so, that would explain why the picture is so awesome. Here I'd assumed it was scaling 720p in a brilliant manner.

The default resolution on a PS3 is 1080p, it will send that to any TV that will accept it regardless of the TV's native resolution. I don't know what AIV is but I doubt it's 1080p with the bandwidth involved for that.
post #1200 of 7242 Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by samijubal View Post

The default resolution on a PS3 is 1080p, it will send that to any TV that will accept it regardless of the TV's native resolution. I don't know what AIV is but I doubt it's 1080p with the bandwidth involved for that.
Im pretty sure Amazon is 720p. Netflix, Vudu and Hulu Plus are 1080p.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page