Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Newbie
 
pepestre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really? that sounds disconcerting, I have spoken to people in this thread, and others who claim otherwise.

are you speaking from experience or what you assume based on what you read? not bashing that if it is, just curious
pepestre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
El Matadurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepestre View Post

Really? that sounds disconcerting, I have spoken to people in this thread, and others who claim otherwise.

are you speaking from experience or what you assume based on what you read? not bashing that if it is, just curious
He's only half-joking. There's a couple on here (midkay, for sure) that use the S60 as a monitor. Granted, they focus on computer gaming. What you have to worry about with the S60 as a monitor are the basic limitations with the tech.

If you use the S60 for more than a couple hours with a completely static image (start bar, browser icons, etc.) during the first 500 or so hours, you'll get image retention. Longer than that, you may face permanent burn-in.

If you try to display a full or near-white screen, a.k.a. most websites' background, you'll get something like a bright gray instead.

Plasmas use a ton more energy than an LCD TV, or a monitor, for that matter, and output a lot of heat. Be careful how close you sit. On that same note, if you sit too close, you'll notice dithering in shadows/solid colors.

Plasmas buzz, how much depends on model and specific TV. How much it annoys you is subjective.

The flicker and rainbow effect depend on the person. Most don't notice it.

For a general-purpose monitor, I wouldn't recommend the S60, or any plasma for that matter. For a gaming-intensive rig, sure, it'd be a good thought.
El Matadurr is offline  
post #2073 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepestre View Post

Really? that sounds disconcerting, I have spoken to people in this thread, and others who claim otherwise.

are you speaking from experience or what you assume based on what you read? not bashing that if it is, just curious

I'm speaking from my experience of having a 50ST60, a 50S60, and a second 50ST60 in my home, in that order. I've written quite a few messages here about them. I ended up returning the S60, because it didn't improve on the buzzing, flicker, IR, or rainbow effect; all three sets (mfg'd in each of Jan/Feb/Mar 2013) were about the same WRT these things. I ended up keeping the second ST60, as I like the picture much better than LCD when used as a TV. The main problem I continue to have with it is the rainbow effect, which some people don't perceive at all. Hopefully it will get better for me over time. One thing is for sure, and that is these plasma sets make lousy computer monitors for the reasons given in my last message. You will probably be sitting close enough to observe dither in dark parts of the screen, and unless you have some constant background noise, buzzing will be your ever-present companion unless you stick to a mostly black screen, like an old-timey CRT showing amber text or something. For the standard Windows desktop, I find the flicker very noticeable during typical desktop computer usage, with which I am quite familiar, as my gaming PC uses the ST60 as its display. I wouldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time as a desktop display for browsing the web and whatnot. It's not a problem for HTPC usage, for which it is my main PC's secondary display. I use Windows Media Center and XBMC, and it's great for them, though it does love to quickly accumulate IR, particularly of the XBMC banners.
sawfish is offline  
post #2074 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matadurr View Post

He's only half-joking.

I was responding to his goal to use it to "surf the web 3-4 hours a day". I would find that to be a thoroughly miserable and intolerable experience. For gaming, it's fine, though IR may be of concern.
sawfish is offline  
post #2075 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Senior Member
 
El Matadurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I was responding to his goal to use it to "surf the web 3-4 hours a day". I would find that to be a thoroughly miserable and intolerable experience. For gaming, it's fine, though IR may be of concern.
Figured as much. smile.gif
El Matadurr is offline  
post #2076 of 7290 Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Newbie
 
pfechner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I'm speaking from my experience of having a 50ST60, a 50S60, and a second 50ST60 in my home, in that order. I've written quite a few messages here about them. I ended up returning the S60, because it didn't improve on the buzzing, flicker, IR, or rainbow effect; all three sets (mfg'd in each of Jan/Feb/Mar 2013) were about the same WRT these things. I ended up keeping the second ST60, as I like the picture much better than LCD when used as a TV. The main problem I continue to have with it is the rainbow effect, which some people don't perceive at all. Hopefully it will get better for me over time. One thing is for sure, and that is these plasma sets make lousy computer monitors for the reasons given in my last message. You will probably be sitting close enough to observe dither in dark parts of the screen, and unless you have some constant background noise, buzzing will be your ever-present companion unless you stick to a mostly black screen, like an old-timey CRT showing amber text or something. For the standard Windows desktop, I find the flicker very noticeable during typical desktop computer usage, with which I am quite familiar, as my gaming PC uses the ST60 as its display. I wouldn't use it for more than a few minutes at a time as a desktop display for browsing the web and whatnot. It's not a problem for HTPC usage, for which it is my main PC's secondary display. I use Windows Media Center and XBMC, and it's great for them, though it does love to quickly accumulate IR, particularly of the XBMC banners.

How are you connecting your ST60 to the HTPC?
I have HDMI from pc to tv for video signal. For audio i am outputting optic from HTPC to Denon Amp (doesn't have HDMI) and am finding issues with the video lagging - especially in 3d.

Any ideas what i can do to deal with the lag?
pfechner is offline  
post #2077 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Member
 
-Gozer-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I went to a best buy yesterday with the intention of picking up a s60. I knew before hand that the s60 has aggressive ABL but I didn't think it would be so bad. It was really rough. Every plasma in the same price range around the s60 had no where near as aggressive ABL . I messed with the picture settings a bit to see if CATS and AGC was off. Both settings were off. I left the store without buying one.

After reading through this thread some more, I noticed that a few people had mentioned that the ABL could be less aggressive if you disable the power saving feature. I did notice that feature was on in the store but I didn't think to disable it.

Is there really that big of a difference with ABL with the power saver off?
-Gozer- is offline  
post #2078 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went to a best buy yesterday with the intention of picking up a s60. I knew before hand that the s60 has aggressive ABL but I didn't think it would be so bad. It was really rough. Every plasma in the same price range around the s60 had no where near as aggressive ABL . I messed with the picture settings a bit to see if CATS and AGC was off. Both settings were off. I left the store without buying one.

After reading through this thread some more, I noticed that a few people had mentioned that the ABL could be less aggressive if you disable the power saving feature. I did notice that feature was on in the store but I didn't think to disable it.

Is there really that big of a difference with ABL with the power saver off?

Honestly, it really isn't that big an issue.

How many scenes are all white? On top of that most movies have black bars, which help the viewable image be brighter even at full white. It's unfortunate that this effect exists, but i've stopped noticing it nearly as much as i used to, and i've only had the set a month.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2079 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Honestly, it really isn't that big an issue.

How many scenes are all white? On top of that most movies have black bars, which help the viewable image be brighter even at full white. It's unfortunate that this effect exists, but i've stopped noticing it nearly as much as i used to, and i've only had the set a month.

+1

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is offline  
post #2080 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfechner View Post

How are you connecting your ST60 to the HTPC?
I have HDMI from pc to tv for video signal. For audio i am outputting optic from HTPC to Denon Amp (doesn't have HDMI)

Same way, except I have a Pioneer VSX-21TXH. My AVR does support HDMI, but I do it this way because it avoids a host of problems, from the Nvidia silent stream bug to Windows dropping the TV when it's a secondary display and the AVR input is switched away from it. I don't care about lossless multichannel audio on the PC so it works out fine.
Quote:
and am finding issues with the video lagging - especially in 3d.

Any ideas what i can do to deal with the lag?

I don't observe any significant lag, but I don't do 3D on the PC.
sawfish is offline  
post #2081 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Member
 
auceny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hopefully this hasn't been talked about too much. I'm currently debating between the S60, S64, and ST50 if it doesn't sell out on amazon. Would everything about the ST50 make it worth spending the extra money over the others? I game a lot so I need low input lag which is why the ST60 got removed from the top of my list. Thanks

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
auceny is offline  
post #2082 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Newbie
 
shaggy52282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any experience with the S60/S64 at "high" elevations? I am moving from NY to Denver in a few months and have heard that at higher altitudes (I will be somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 feet) that there is a "loud" buzzing and that longevity can be effected with Plasma TV's (no knowledge of this specific model). I know that Panasonic rates these TV's to something like 7,200 feet, but does that mean there will be no noticeable difference in performance or buzzing, or just that it won't explode (exaggerating of course)? I would like to get a new TV before I move, but I likely won't be able to go to a showroom in CO to listen for the buzzing in person if I do.

The TV would be used mostly for console gaming and some movies. My current TV is a Sony KDF-50E2000 (rear projection 3LCD, 720p). It has served me well, but it is time for an upgrade.
shaggy52282 is offline  
post #2083 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Member
 
chrball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm probably getting an S64 this weekend.

I read the first 100 hours are crucial; so no static images/black bars, and breaking in/aging the phosphors during the first 100 hours is crucial. Does that mean I should run the slides for 100 hours straight or off and on?

Also is anyone using this model for gaming and have any recommended calibration settings? Would the custom/cinema settings posted earlier in this thread be good enough?
chrball is offline  
post #2084 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Member
 
-Gozer-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went to a best buy yesterday with the intention of picking up a s60. I knew before hand that the s60 has aggressive ABL but I didn't think it would be so bad. It was really rough. Every plasma in the same price range around the s60 had no where near as aggressive ABL . I messed with the picture settings a bit to see if CATS and AGC was off. Both settings were off. I left the store without buying one.

After reading through this thread some more, I noticed that a few people had mentioned that the ABL could be less aggressive if you disable the power saving feature. I did notice that feature was on in the store but I didn't think to disable it.

Is there really that big of a difference with ABL with the power saver off?

I went back to best buy today.

I turned off power saving feature and that really helped with the ABL.

I went ahead and picked up a 50 inch s60.

Wow. This TV looks ridiculously fantastic out of the show room. It's just crazy how good it looks.
copster30 and MountainMichael like this.
-Gozer- is offline  
post #2085 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went back to best buy today.

I turned off power saving feature and that really helped with the ABL.

I went ahead and picked up a 50 inch s60.

Wow. This TV looks ridiculously fantastic out of the show room. It's just crazy how good it looks.

Glad to hear yo like it! It certainly has it's flaws but man does the picture look nice.

I would love to see one high end ones, as their picture is apparently even better.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2086 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Honestly, it really isn't that big an issue.

How many scenes are all white? On top of that most movies have black bars, which help the viewable image be brighter even at full white. It's unfortunate that this effect exists, but i've stopped noticing it nearly as much as i used to, and i've only had the set a month.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy52282 View Post

Does anyone have any experience with the S60/S64 at "high" elevations? I am moving from NY to Denver in a few months and have heard that at higher altitudes (I will be somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 feet) that there is a "loud" buzzing and that longevity can be effected with Plasma TV's (no knowledge of this specific model). I know that Panasonic rates these TV's to something like 7,200 feet, but does that mean there will be no noticeable difference in performance or buzzing, or just that it won't explode (exaggerating of course)? I would like to get a new TV before I move, but I likely won't be able to go to a showroom in CO to listen for the buzzing in person if I do.

The TV would be used mostly for console gaming and some movies. My current TV is a Sony KDF-50E2000 (rear projection 3LCD, 720p). It has served me well, but it is time for an upgrade.

I live at 7150 feet elevation. No issues yet. I've had 2 plasmas here and can't hear buzzing on either. However, thread participants and I believe I may not hear well in the "buzz" frequency range since it seems improbable to get 2 plasmas in a row with zero buzz. Disclosure: I have some pronounced hearing loss in a few frequency ranges. If plasma buzz is in one of those ranges, that will be the first and only positive thing I've ever found of having hearing damage. biggrin.gif

I can't speak to longevity. I've only had my S64 for about 1.5 months. My 55ST60 developed an intermittent problem where the power LED would come on but the screen wouldn't. That was at about 150 hours and 1 month. I attribute that to rough handling in shipping. The delivery guy was pretty certain it had been dropped. I don't attribute that to high altitude, but who knows.

My brother told me he looked it up and the plasmas are rated to 7500 feet, but I didn't verify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went back to best buy today.

I turned off power saving feature and that really helped with the ABL.

I went ahead and picked up a 50 inch s60.

Wow. This TV looks ridiculously fantastic out of the show room. It's just crazy how good it looks.

Glad to hear it. It is very easy to have eco features or CATS make people think ABL is off the charts. It has happened several times in this thread.

fwiw, those eco features are distinct and separate from ABL. The eco features are user adjustable and for energy saving. Whereas, ABL is not user adjustable because it is an engineered "anti-self-destruct" feature currently universally necessary on all plasma TV's so far as I've read.

Some are better liked for their ABL engineering than others... so where are the S60 variants on this, really?

fairchild99 did a good objective job of summing up actual ABL on S60 variants, IMO. If you have trouble finding his text on that in the big S60 thread, it's near the end of the much shorter S64 Owner's Poll thread.

Post 54 over here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474301/panasonic-tc-65ps64-and-tc-50ps64-owners-poll/30#post_23426903

Thanks going out to fairchild99 for copying that text over to the S64 poll thread.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #2087 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
El Matadurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrball View Post

I'm probably getting an S64 this weekend.

I read the first 100 hours are crucial; so no static images/black bars, and breaking in/aging the phosphors during the first 100 hours is crucial. Does that mean I should run the slides for 100 hours straight or off and on?

Also is anyone using this model for gaming and have any recommended calibration settings? Would the custom/cinema settings posted earlier in this thread be good enough?
If you are concerned about keeping panel uniformity (and eventually using his settings), run the D-Nice slides for the first 100 hours straight per his instructions. I use Fairchilde's settings for about everything, they look great all-around. Surprised D-Nice hasn't gotten around to anything besides the ST60. Guess he's touring a lot more this summer than last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went back to best buy today.

I turned off power saving feature and that really helped with the ABL.

I went ahead and picked up a 50 inch s60.

Wow. This TV looks ridiculously fantastic out of the show room. It's just crazy how good it looks.
Awesome, I thought you'd eventually be impressed. And the key part "out of the show room" is important. Buying TVs based on turn-n-burn settings in the store is a bad idea. smile.gif
MountainMichael likes this.
El Matadurr is offline  
post #2088 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Member
 
J Mac 88m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys. So I just bought a new 42s60 from Sears, I paid 638 in case your wondering. So I'm already running D-nice's slides to age the tv. My question is is it ok to just leave my tv on for 100 hours straight or should I break it up. I guess I'm just gonna let it go for four days but if I shouldn't please tell me, thanks.
J Mac 88m is offline  
post #2089 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Newbie
 
jchristian79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A thought regarding the rainbow/phosphor discussion from the last couple pages. Over the last week, I've noticed some odd trailing when fast moving objects move across a light background. The term "rainbow effect" i've read here seems to describe exactly that. It's not really the phosphor issue because it's not just a green trail.

And I noticed something else. I've never seen this before on any TV, and I wonder if it has to do with the AR filter (50s64). Here's why, I can recreate the effect even when the content is frozen. On a very light background (white, sky, sand, etc.) if I stand at least 5 feet away, extend my hand so it's covering part of the picture, fan my fingers and wave my hand back and forth, I can see the very same effect happen. I noticed this because I paused the move the other night (Hobbit on bluray) and talked with my wife for a few minutes while just looking at the TV and I noticed every time I moved my eyes across the picture, I saw the same effect. Can anyone else verify this?

It's a slight annoyance to me, but far less so than all the other issues I experienced with LCD or the UT50 I had. Just thought that it's interesting that I can see that effect even when the picture is paused. All in all, I am beyond pleased with this purchase, especially since I was able to get $30 back from Costco after they lowered the price of the 50s64 to 699 this week!
jchristian79 is offline  
post #2090 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Member
 
-Darkstar-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've had a 50S60 for about two and half months now. It replaced a Vizio LCD tv. Before that, I had a JVC 52Z575 D-ILA tv. Until recently I never really considered plasma because of all the usual issues you hear about them but I really like this tv. This is best blacks I've had since I had a CRT and the color is exceptionally accurate and nicely saturated. The color really pops to me without being overdone like in many LED sets and contrast ratio is excellent. I have had no IR at all, even with video games like Fallout NV or with sports channels. No buzzing except if I put my ear right next to it. There is some popping after I turn the set off but it isn't very loud and no popping that I've heard while on. There was some noise and grain from some of my cable channels but turning the sharpness down and using CNET's calibration settings greatly minimized this. I could see people with very bright rooms not liking this set but it works great in mine and I think it would be hard to match this picture quality at this price range. I now see why so many people have good things to say about Panasonic plasmas.

This thread has been a great source of info.
-Darkstar- is offline  
post #2091 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac 88m View Post

Hi guys. So I just bought a new 42s60 from Sears, I paid 638 in case your wondering. So I'm already running D-nice's slides to age the tv. My question is is it ok to just leave my tv on for 100 hours straight or should I break it up. I guess I'm just gonna let it go for four days but if I shouldn't please tell me, thanks.
The important thing is to evenly "age" the phosphors. There are lots of ways to do this: The D-Nice slides are one, and guarantee evenness. But I've also advised clients (I am an isf calibrator) that regular programming is OK - just don't leave it on channels with banners (actually, leaving the picture on Zoom usually puts the banners and bugs off screen). I used to advise clients to tune to a blank channel (display analog snow), but pure snow is not too easy to come across these days.

There is a benefit to turning the set on and off numerous times (I mean only having the display on for a few hours, off for a few hours, and repeat) and that is to try to force any infant mortality to occur that comes from the stress on the circuit joints by the heating & cooling cycles. Most failures occur early in life and it would be good to get the set to fail, if it is prone to, before hiring a calibrator.

Dave Hancock
davehancock is online now  
post #2092 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac 88m View Post

Hi guys. So I just bought a new 42s60 from Sears, I paid 638 in case your wondering. So I'm already running D-nice's slides to age the tv. My question is is it ok to just leave my tv on for 100 hours straight or should I break it up. I guess I'm just gonna let it go for four days but if I shouldn't please tell me, thanks.

This question has come up fairly often. From what I've read and experienced, there is typically no harm from running slides continuously.

However, I've also read that plasmas run hot at first. So going into summer, if you're going to run slides continuously, my suggestion would be to maybe not run them in a really hot room. Under 80f, I think there would be no problem. Unknown if there actually would be a problem above that.

Input will vary; all respected.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #2093 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Member
 
J Mac 88m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks MountainMan & Dave you guys and everyone on here is the best. I'll update in a few days. I can't wait to play Bioshock Infinite on this thing.
J Mac 88m is offline  
post #2094 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post

A thought regarding the rainbow/phosphor discussion from the last couple pages. Over the last week, I've noticed some odd trailing when fast moving objects move across a light background. The term "rainbow effect" i've read here seems to describe exactly that. It's not really the phosphor issue because it's not just a green trail.

And I noticed something else. I've never seen this before on any TV, and I wonder if it has to do with the AR filter (50s64). Here's why, I can recreate the effect even when the content is frozen. On a very light background (white, sky, sand, etc.) if I stand at least 5 feet away, extend my hand so it's covering part of the picture, fan my fingers and wave my hand back and forth, I can see the very same effect happen. I noticed this because I paused the move the other night (Hobbit on bluray) and talked with my wife for a few minutes while just looking at the TV and I noticed every time I moved my eyes across the picture, I saw the same effect. Can anyone else verify this?

It's a slight annoyance to me, but far less so than all the other issues I experienced with LCD or the UT50 I had. Just thought that it's interesting that I can see that effect even when the picture is paused. All in all, I am beyond pleased with this purchase, especially since I was able to get $30 back from Costco after they lowered the price of the 50s64 to 699 this week!

The hand trick doesn't work for me. All I have to do is move my eyes around a paused screen with skin against a dark background or really anything with red in it against a dark background, including things like a white shirt in a black suit, yellow in logos, etc, and I will see a fleeting rainbowey sort of blobby afterimage. And I do mean rainbow, because red/blue/yellow/green can all be part of it. In fact, motion on the screen isn't really a problem. I notice it during normal watching simply by moving my focus from point to point. I first noticed it after enabling subtitles during a Game of Thrones episode. Moving my eyes back and forth from subtitle to scene really elicited the effect.

I can just about eliminate it if I move my eyes slowly and steadily enough, but that requires a huge amount of concentration to do and is completely useless anyway. I can also just about eliminate it if I blink right as I'm moving my eyes, such that they're closed for the brief moment I'm moving my gaze, but that's hard to time just right. I'm highly amused to find that if I keep my focus fixed, I can move my head around and the image will stay completely stable, but if I let my focus wander just a tad, the rainbows come out. "Plasmas - Great picture, as long as you stare at the exact same spot the whole time." rolleyes.gif

The 50S60 I had for a while is no better than the two 50ST60s I've had for this issue, nor was it better for buzzing or IR. Out of all the plasma problems, the rainbow effect is the potential dealbreaker for me, and it will be the reason I get rid of the ST60 if I ever do. It was the reason I exchanged the first ST60 for an S60 based on someone's Youtube comment that last year, the 2D sets without filters (U50) didn't have the problem, while the higher models did. That may have been true last year, but it isn't true this year. If your problem is like mine, going from an S64 to an S60 isn't going to help you. Oh, and some say that Samsungs are better. I was talking about this a couple of months ago with another Panasonic owner here, and in subsequent PM, he said he tried an F5500, and it wasn't any better.
sawfish is offline  
post #2095 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

The important thing is to evenly "age" the phosphors. There are lots of ways to do this: The D-Nice slides are one, and guarantee evenness. But I've also advised clients (I am an isf calibrator) that regular programming is OK - just don't leave it on channels with banners (actually, leaving the picture on Zoom usually puts the banners and bugs off screen). I used to advise clients to tune to a blank channel (display analog snow), but pure snow is not too easy to come across these days.

There is a benefit to turning the set on and off numerous times (I mean only having the display on for a few hours, off for a few hours, and repeat) and that is to try to force any infant mortality to occur that comes from the stress on the circuit joints by the heating & cooling cycles. Most failures occur early in life and it would be good to get the set to fail, if it is prone to, before hiring a calibrator.

Hi, Dave.

Say, I've seen varying opinions on this, but speaking of "snow": How do you think Disney Wow pixel flipper might be for aging a new plasma panel?

Totally agree about power cycling to look for/rule out infant mortality - aka - the front end of "the bathtub curve" of electronics failures.

Thanks,

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
post #2096 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ok, this may be controversial, still:

With my first plasma panel (55ST60), I was bothered quite a bit with content motion errors. Blurring, judder, etc. Probably not the TV's fault, I was just seeing what was in the content more because it was a huge increase in screen size compared to what I was used to.

On my 65PS64, I've done the judder workaround for 24p content and it works very well.

Anyway, as my S64 neared and passed 300 hours, I'm trying to decide if I'm just getting used to it or if plasma trailing is becoming significantly less.

I think it is the latter but I am prone to "power of suggestion" stuff, so I can't say for certain.

In any case, motion "seems" a lot better now than at first.

Whatever the reason, I'll take it. biggrin.gif

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
post #2097 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Speaking to performance at elevation qualification: Tier "Mountain" Michael.
Leon! is offline  
post #2098 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

Speaking to performance at elevation qualification: Tier "Mountain" Michael.

Good one, bro.

Some say the low O2 makes us a little dopey up here. I'm saying: It saves on beer. biggrin.gif
MountainMichael is offline  
post #2099 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gozer- View Post

I went to a best buy yesterday with the intention of picking up a s60. I knew before hand that the s60 has aggressive ABL but I didn't think it would be so bad. It was really rough. Every plasma in the same price range around the s60 had no where near as aggressive ABL . I messed with the picture settings a bit to see if CATS and AGC was off. Both settings were off. I left the store without buying one.

After reading through this thread some more, I noticed that a few people had mentioned that the ABL could be less aggressive if you disable the power saving feature. I did notice that feature was on in the store but I didn't think to disable it.

Is there really that big of a difference with ABL with the power saver off?

I disabled power save and CATS everywhere when I first set up my 65S64 and haven't noticed ABL at all other than completely white background screens being grey. I haven't tried Fairchild's settings yet, but they may make whites whiter.
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #2100 of 7290 Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy52282 View Post

Does anyone have any experience with the S60/S64 at "high" elevations? I am moving from NY to Denver in a few months and have heard that at higher altitudes (I will be somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 feet) that there is a "loud" buzzing and that longevity can be effected with Plasma TV's (no knowledge of this specific model). I know that Panasonic rates these TV's to something like 7,200 feet, but does that mean there will be no noticeable difference in performance or buzzing, or just that it won't explode (exaggerating of course)? I would like to get a new TV before I move, but I likely won't be able to go to a showroom in CO to listen for the buzzing in person if I do.

The TV would be used mostly for console gaming and some movies. My current TV is a Sony KDF-50E2000 (rear projection 3LCD, 720p). It has served me well, but it is time for an upgrade.

I'm at about 5300 feet in Denver and haven't noticed any buzzing on my 65S64 except when all sound is off and I put my head behind the screen nearly touching the panel.
HDTimeShifter is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off