Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks MM. I'm curious to know if 50" (or 42" S60) owners are experiencing less popping than the 65".

My move in date for the new apartment is September 27. I might actually have to go with the 42", depending on how close I have to put the sofa to the TV. At a smaller size, I'm actually wondering if the glare will really be that much of an issue. Won't be able to tell til I get in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Normal/mild house expansion and contraction noises are MUCH louder than any small noises my S64 makes.

This is 100% true.
post #2163 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

More misinformation. A cal disc might get you 70 percent there that's assuming you use it right the rest gamma greyscale and cms if your set has that can only be done with a meter and software either DIY or pro

I'm not pushing pro calibration but if anyone is going to ridicule it at least have a basic understanding of what it is

Triple AMEN! wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
Moonchilde likes this.

Dave Hancock
post #2164 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
Picked up a 42s60 via the Sears deal today. I have plenty of Kuro experience but wow, picture out of the box is fantastic. Can't wait to hang this thing on the wall in my office.
post #2165 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

Its calibrated, did not need some overpaid self proclaimed expert or stupid overpriced disks either. Done Deal, great picture!

Sorry but I do know all about it and do not want to argue with you about it.

Well your posts are making you look foolish so please explain exactly how your set got calibrated? Did you calibrate it yourself? What calibration equipment did you use?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2166 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Liked: 12
Allow me to expand upon my original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Kocis View Post

So as an entry level plasma how does the s60/s64 series compare with other entry level big screen/60"+ lcd's when it comes to pure picture quality?

I had a 2007 Samsung 61" LED DLP (HLT-6187). Earlier this year it stated developing dead and stuck pixels. I saw that the replacement chip was only ~$160 and was about to attempt to do the repair myself when I discovered that my particular model was covered under a class action lawsuit settlement for bad capacitors and power boards. Samsung no longer had some of the replacement parts available so I was offered a range of 2013 LCDs and plasmas sold at a significantly reduced price as a replacement. I ended up choosing the 65" LCD in the F6300 model series. I hate it. The black levels and "off-angle" panel wash are terrible. I'm in the process of trying to sell it off and from what I gather a plasma will more accurately replicate the picture I was used to with the DLP. I dont't need 3D, streaming apps, 4 HDMI inputs or great sounding built-in speakers. I have an Onkyo AVR for that. Input lag IS important as I do quite a bit of online CoD playing. My HT room is already pretty dark but could be darker if need be. Ok, I think that's all I got to say about that. Thanks for any input.
post #2167 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

There aren't any entry-level LCD displays that come anywhere close in performance to the S60/S64. Many will argue the S60/S64 outperforms even the most expensive LCD displays.

post #2168 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Just got a TC-P42S60 tonight. This is my first plasma. I attached it to its base and put it where I will keep it, but I haven't plugged it in or turned it on yet. I'm still unsure whether or not its necessary to "break in" this unit. What's the difference between a unit that has been broken in and one that hasn't? Does breaking in a unit give it a longer life span, or make image retention less likely to occur over the life of the unit? Is it ok just to watch normal programming (that fills the screen completely) for the first 100 or so hours of usage instead of any custom "slides" for break in?
post #2169 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well your posts are making you look foolish so please explain exactly how your set got calibrated? Did you calibrate it yourself? What calibration equipment did you use?

Quit bullying and trying to start arguments, I already made my self clear.
Its calibrated and looks great, that's all you need to know.
post #2170 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:

Quit bullying and trying to start arguments, I already made my self clear.
Its calibrated and looks great, that's all you need to know.
lol

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2171 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoInk View Post

Just got a TC-P42S60 tonight. This is my first plasma. I attached it to its base and put it where I will keep it, but I haven't plugged it in or turned it on yet. I'm still unsure whether or not its necessary to "break in" this unit. What's the difference between a unit that has been broken in and one that hasn't? Does breaking in a unit give it a longer life span, or make image retention less likely to occur over the life of the unit? Is it ok just to watch normal programming (that fills the screen completely) for the first 100 or so hours of usage instead of any custom "slides" for break in?

I'm still a newbie to all of this, but I want to see if I can answer this correctly...Breaking in a plasma does not prevent burn in or image retention. The only thing I believe it does is that it allows the phosphors to age so that the colors can "settle in" and then be properly calibrated. If you are to calibrate your TV now, you'll find that after a couple hundred hours, you'll need to calibrate it again because the phosphors age mostly within the first few hundred hours of usage.
post #2172 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

I'm still a newbie to all of this, but I want to see if I can answer this correctly...Breaking in a plasma does not prevent burn in or image retention. The only thing I believe it does is that it allows the phosphors to age so that the colors can "settle in" and then be properly calibrated. If you are to calibrate your TV now, you'll find that after a couple hundred hours, you'll need to calibrate it again because the phosphors age mostly within the first few hundred hours of usage.
Exactly. And it is fine to watch normal programming instead of using slides. Avoid black bars for any extended period of time.

post #2173 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Liked: 11
[quote name="xenon9887" url="/t/1461177/of

To Me, the only reason most seem to recommend using the default settings is because that D-Nice guy (i'm new around here, apparently he is like this forums god haha)
Cheers[/quote] Dude I laughed my ASS off at that cuz I basically thought the same thing ( who is this enigmatic mystical god of calibration known to us mortals as simply D-nice). Hahahaha
foghorn2 likes this.
post #2174 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does the S60 in Custom & Game mode have white clipping, overly bright unatural whites, color pushing or an effed up gamma(My S30's was high, with no way to adjust it) Like the panny's 2011 S30 series? Not interested in using cinema mode.
post #2175 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
This is probably a stupid question but is it normal for the screen on an S60/S64 to not go all the way to the edge? Essentially leaving thin black bars on each side of the screen. I'm running slides to break in my new S64 and I don't want to screw it up. I know black bars are BAD... just confused as to why the screen doesn't fill the entire screen and I don't see an option to adjust it like on PC monitors.
post #2176 of 7068 Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrball View Post

This is probably a stupid question but is it normal for the screen on an S60/S64 to not go all the way to the edge? Essentially leaving thin black bars on each side of the screen.
About 1/8"? Yes.

post #2177 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I've had my 42S60 for over a month now doing what most people do when they get a new TV, just watch it. I'm using CNET settings with a change to warm 1. I have NONE of the issues being discussed here, except for occasional dithering and very brief innocuous posterization depending on content. No pops, cracks, line bleed, IR. I've turned the volume off for a period of time to listen for buzzing, it's not there. With ABL some of the full white ads I figure are duller than they might be, but it reacts fast enough to be seamless, you don't see it happening. Just sit back and enjoy your new plasma. And this is pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if running slides for 4 1/2 days straight might stress the TV in some way to exasperate some of these popping and buzzing issues.
post #2178 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac 88m View Post

[quote name="xenon9887" url="/t/1461177/of

To Me, the only reason most seem to recommend using the default settings is because that D-Nice guy (i'm new around here, apparently he is like this forums god haha)
Cheers. Dude I laughed my ASS off at that cuz I basically thought the same thing ( who is this enigmatic mystical god of calibration known to us mortals as simply D-nice). Hahahaha
Kind of crazy that youve been a member since 2007 and only have 13 posts but thought this was important enough to make it one of them. I suggest you learn how to post properly so that people can understand them.

post #2179 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inputlag View Post

I've had my 42S60 for over a month now doing what most people do when they get a new TV, just watch it. I'm using CNET settings with a change to warm 1. I have NONE of the issues being discussed here, except for occasional dithering and very brief innocuous posterization depending on content. No pops, cracks, line bleed, IR. I've turned the volume off for a period of time to listen for buzzing, it's not there. With ABL some of the full white ads I figure are duller than they might be, but it reacts fast enough to be seamless, you don't see it happening. Just sit back and enjoy your new plasma. And this is pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if running slides for 4 1/2 days straight might stress the TV in some way to exasperate some of these popping and buzzing issues.

Note you have the 42" set. The smallest in the line, which means the pixels are smaller (harder to see defects), uses less power (less heat to make pops and less buzzing). I have the 50" and certainly have the issues described, makes me wonder how much worse it would be for all these lovely folks with the jumbo 65" screens!
post #2180 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Alright, screw it. I've had it with my 60" S30...Somebody in my family actually wants to buy it for $650, i can use that and put the extra cash towards a 55" 60. XP I already spent $850 on my used 60" S30 in Nov last year, and to get even a semi decent DIY Calman 5 calibration i'd have to spend another $530 and even more to get a used DuoScan(whatever you call them)

I don't need 60" anyways, 55" is the sweet spot imo in terms of 720p/1080p content and sitting close to about 11 feet eye distance wise. Now, I don't plan on using cinema mode, it's definitly going to be custom & game, or whatever the replacement is.Does the S60 lack gamma controls? and is the gamma at about 2.2/medium in the other modes outside of Cinema? Plus is there any color pushing going on? Apperantly the black levels are outstanding on this set and the same could be said for the color gamut and brightness, however what i'm really worried about is the auto dimming and if it's agressive.

on my S30 it's actually on the mild side, i can never really tell when it happens to be honest. the transition is subtle, unlike my previous 2012 panny X5 which was super aggressive.....The difference was night and day.
post #2181 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Good Morning!

I didn't try unplugging the TV and holding down the power button for one minute. However, i'm happy to report the buzzing was not noticable last night and i was really trying to hear it.

I've come to the conclusion the S60 / S64 is the right TV for me. Last night i did not hear one single annoying pop, and my wife and I watched the TV for a solid 3-4 hours. I'm getting in the routine of turning on the tv and having it warm up & pop while i'm not in the room. That way when it comes time for me to sit down and enjoy the set, i'm not bothered by any cracks or pops and the issue doesn't effect my viewing experience, ultimately making it a NON-ISSUE biggrin.gif
MountainMichael likes this.
post #2182 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

Quit bullying and trying to start arguments, I already made my self clear. Its calibrated and looks great, that's all you need to know.

Actually you did not make it clear at all which is why i asked the questions. I'm not bullying, but since you have an obvious disdain/disrespect for professional ISF calibrators why are you so unwilling to tell us how your own display came to be "calilbrated"? If you simply adjusted it using just your eyeballs then that's not a calibration, it's an adjustment (which by the way is all i ever do).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2183 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Alright, screw it. I've had it with my 60" S30...Somebody in my family actually wants to buy it for $650, i can use that and put the extra cash towards a 55" 60. XP I already spent $850 on my used 60" S30 in Nov last year, and to get even a semi decent DIY Calman 5 calibration i'd have to spend another $530 and even more to get a used DuoScan(whatever you call them)

I don't need 60" anyways, 55" is the sweet spot imo in terms of 720p/1080p content and sitting close to about 11 feet eye distance wise. Now, I don't plan on using cinema mode, it's definitly going to be custom & game, or whatever the replacement is.Does the S60 lack gamma controls? and is the gamma at about 2.2/medium in the other modes outside of Cinema? Plus is there any color pushing going on? Apperantly the black levels are outstanding on this set and the same could be said for the color gamut and brightness, however what i'm really worried about is the auto dimming and if it's agressive.

on my S30 it's actually on the mild side, i can never really tell when it happens to be honest. the transition is subtle, unlike my previous 2012 panny X5 which was super aggressive.....The difference was night and day.

It has gamma settings something along the lines of 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 26, and S-Curve. Auto dimming is certainly there but it rarely gets in the way for me.
post #2184 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

It has gamma settings something along the lines of 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 26, and S-Curve. Auto dimming is certainly there but it rarely gets in the way for me.

Sounds good! And it's suprising considering Panny has always skimped out on picture controls for the lower end models. XP Now if only there was a way to disable that pesky auto dimming hehe. I mean, back on my X5 the picture would be super bright and colorful for a particular videogame, then 10 minutes later the auto dimming would kick in and the picture would look dim and the colors looked washed.

oh, and does standard/custom/game(anything aside from Cinema) have white clipping or unatural bright whites?
post #2185 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Sounds good! And it's suprising considering Panny has always skimped out on picture controls for the lower end models. XP Now if only there was a way to disable that pesky auto dimming hehe. I mean, back on my X5 the picture would be super bright and colorful for a particular videogame, then 10 minutes later the auto dimming would kick in and the picture would look dim and the colors looked washed.

oh, and does standard/custom/game(anything aside from Cinema) have white clipping or unatural bright whites?

There is no time period where the auto dimming kicks in. It's all based on the overall brightness of the screen, across all pixels.

White, since it involves using all 3 sub pixels, will dim when most or all of the screen is that colour. But throw in some shadows, and a blue sky and it wont dim at all, at least noticeably for me. Correct me guys if I am wrong, but a static image will remain a constant brightness no matter how long you leave it on the screen.
post #2186 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

No. You have provided no evidence that you calibrated your TV so i don't get why you're posting here, other than to insult professional ISF calibrators.

A user-menu adjustment (that any grandmother can do herself) is not a calibration.

Randy he "calibrates" by eye, I would question why someone would plug in someone elses settings if they have a "calibrated" set ? Thats whats great about the internet you can pop off give opinions about subjects you have no expertise in and get away with it .... well almost

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #2187 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Exactly. And it is fine to watch normal programming instead of using slides. Avoid black bars for any extended period of time.
At what point can I safely start watching movies that aren't in 16:9 format? Many HD movies have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture. I don't want to have to zoom in because that either distorts the image or cuts off the edges. So, how long into a plasma TV's lifespan is it generally considered "safe" to watch a ~3 hour movie with black bars on top & bottom?
post #2188 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:

At what point can I safely start watching movies that aren't in 16:9 format? Many HD movies have black bars on the top and bottom of the picture. I don't want to have to zoom in because that either distorts the image or cuts off the edges. So, how long into a plasma TV's lifespan is it generally considered "safe" to watch a ~3 hour movie with black bars on top & bottom?

You cannot "damage" your screen by watching non 16:9 content. The issue is because the phosphors age much more rapidly over the first few hundred hours of their life than they do after that. If you were to say watch nothing but 2.40:1 movies (most blu-ray movies) for the first hundred hours, you might be able to see the pixels that were in those black bars being a bit brighter than the ones that weren't, because they haven't aged as much.

I am assuming this would pretty much go away as you approached a few hundred hours or so anyway because they age so little after that, and would catch up so to speak. Panasonic rates the half life of these phosphors at what, 100,000 hours? Over 11 years of constant on time.

You can actually see a similar effect of image retention if you put a black image (in my case my cable box outputs a black picture when it is turned off, or at least I assume as much becuase the no signal warning from the tv never comes up) on the screen in a very dark room after you watch a 2.40:1 movie. The phosphors that have been used will be ever so slightly brighter, even when displaying black, that you will be able to see that the area's of the black bars are darker. A good 30 seconds of logo-less full screen tv that has good image variation (or just the built in scrolling white bar thing) will get rid of it though.
chunon likes this.
post #2189 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 257
posts deleted

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #2190 of 7068 Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM

can someone pleaseeeeeeeee help me. im trying to connect my laptop to my tc-p42s60 and i am getting no where. i know how to do connect it to every tv in my house but this one just wont work. ive done everything i can possibly think of, my computer even show the panasonic under display options but only when i have extend display connected and it still doesnt even do that. when i switch to dublicate it doesnt even show a secondary monitor. am i missing something here or forgetting to do something? pleaseeee help
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page