post #2251 of 7174 Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Hard to tell without a reference point (I heard some dialogue in the background). Based on my initial impression, I would say significant, especially from behind the set.

Thanks, good to know.

Wondering if I should put up a vid of my S64 to get opinions on whether there is buzz or not... then again, if I ever hear it, I'll never be able to "unhear" it. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 7174 Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Just for comparison's sake, here is a video of my tv buzzing. This is a 50" s60, displaying the brightest of d-nice's slides. Not sure how white that slide is or if its grey.

Ohh and it's at 85 contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x443IzTHZyM

Hope it helps.

Yours seems like a more muted/subtle humming almost like it's the fans. My S64's buzzing is really sharp and noticeable and projects through the front of the TV up to 10 feet. Going to Costco tomorrow to exchange for another S64. I REALLY hope mine was just a fluke.
MountainMichael likes this.
post #2253 of 7174 Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrball View Post

Yours seems like a more muted/subtle humming almost like it's the fans. My S64's buzzing is really sharp and noticeable and projects through the front of the TV up to 10 feet. Going to Costco tomorrow to exchange for another S64. I REALLY hope mine was just a fluke.

Here's hoping you get a much quieter S64 when you swap it out.

I don't think it is entirely rare for 2013 Panny plasmas to be somewhat of a noise pest, but I hope you get one that is a lot quieter this time around. Please do post how it turns out.

fwiw, I don't think the S60's or S64's have cooling fans.. ?

mm
post #2254 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Some people have problems burning a 709 disc that will work on their player, but I just read the lengthy instructions and did the DVD version that they said should work with my PS3. I also used their burner program in the thread because there are screen by screen specific instructions on 'how to' as well as setting "hash" (??) - and also because my previous DVD burner program SUCKS.

There is also a pdf file there that is instructions on how to use the AVSHD 709. I was a bit overwhelmed, but fairchild99 kept recommending it, so I gave it a shot. The burned disc worked first shot. And it's actually pretty cool...

The first post is a doozie, but most of the info you'll need on how to burn the correct file to disc is right there:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

I downloaded the AVCHD.7z file, decompressed, and burned to a DVD, but it won't play on my BD player which supports AVCHD. The player keeps saying a software update has failed and to remove the disc and not to turn off the player until the upgrade has finished. Well I tried that, but it doesn't really seem to be updating, so I turned it off and tried again with the same error reappearing. I tried looking up the MD5 Hash to verify the download and burn, but can't find the Hash code or a link to it anywhere in the instructions.
post #2255 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 AM

Liked: 10
My story and predicament.

I just sold my HL-S6767w Samsung DLP with a matt screen. It was ISF calibrated my UMR. Great tv. A little sad that I sold it.

My viewing environment. Picture a rectangle room. I have windows directly behind the tv that are about 30 feet away. Then I have windows going down the left side.

I purchased the Panasonic S64 65 inch. I have a Panasonic UT 50 in the bedroom and love it. So I wanted to upgrade the Samsung DLP. In the same environment the Samsung during the day with the windows open looked a little washed out. Closing the blinds it would look much better and there wasn't any glare. With my new Panasonic I no longer have washed out colors with the blinds up. However the reflection is very bad. Almost like a mirror. Closing the blinds helps. However, I still get a nice glare right in the middle of the screen. It is way more distracting then the washed out colors of the Samsung DLP. I am scared on going with a 70 inch Sharp with a matt screen because of the motion issues. Not sure what to do.

I have blinds but it still lets the light through. I can't blackout the windows. I live on the water and that would just ruining the view.

Besides the reflections this TV produces an excellent picture at night. To bad it just doesn't work in my viewing environment.

Question:
Changing panel brightness from mid to high doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone else notice this?

LawDawg
post #2256 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 26
Thanks! I just jumped on it. I've always wanted one of these, even for my smaller LCDs. Can't wait to play with it.
post #2257 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemiller5390 View Post

can someone pleaseeeeeeeee help me. im trying to connect my laptop to my tc-p42s60 and i am getting no where. i know how to do connect it to every tv in my house but this one just wont work. ive done everything i can possibly think of, my computer even show the panasonic under display options but only when i have extend display connected and it still doesnt even do that. when i switch to dublicate it doesnt even show a secondary monitor. am i missing something here or forgetting to do something? pleaseeee help. some1 did answer me but im not sure if i replyed quick enough and wanna try to get a few opinions. additional info would be. connecting thru just hdmi and ive tried every resolution. its says 1920x1080 is recommended and im doing this thru the screen resolution options when i right click as well as tried looking thru control panel >hardware &sound>display and tired every posbile thing i know of. once again thank you in advance and please help. i will try to check back much more frequantly as i did just buy the tv and i love everything aout it ut this is almost a deal breaker to me seeing i do alot on the computer and a bigger screen every now and then would be nice.

What Operating system (windows xp, vista, 7, 8, mac osx etc) and what type of graphics card do you have? Intel, Ati, or nvidia?

In windows vista or 7 you can just right click the desktop and select Screen Resolution. In the following window you can enable or disable the needed monitor. If it doesnt show up select Detect.

Have you selected the proper input on your television?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #2258 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 17
HI Folks,trying to decide b/w the s64 at 65 inch or the ST60 at 60 inches(dont want to go over the 1500 budget) Came across the following article ...just wish he'd added the s64 ...trying to decide between extra 5 inches or PQ ...3D would be nice for the kids but not essential .....dont care for apps as bdp covers that .......somewhere good read all the same ...advice welcome!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589190-221/which-panasonic-plasma-tv-should-you-buy/

Thanks
post #2259 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4top455 View Post

HI Folks,trying to decide b/w the s64 at 65 inch or the ST60 at 60 inches(dont want to go over the 1500 budget) Came across the following article ...just wish he'd added the s64 ...trying to decide between extra 5 inches or PQ ...3D would be nice for the kids but not essential .....dont care for apps as bdp covers that .......somewhere good read all the same ...advice welcome!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589190-221/which-panasonic-plasma-tv-should-you-buy/

Thanks

Honestly if you have kids you might not want to get a plasma. You have to be careful with them, especially when they are new, a few hours near the beginning of it's life with a nice static game or similar while the parents are out shopping or w/e can ruin the experience for the rest of the time you own the tv. They are also very heavy, electrified pieces of glass as well.

Now if this isn't an issue, and 5" in size is far from make or break, i'd say if you intend to do any gaming, the s60 or 64, if it's just tv etc than the st60 does have a better picture and apps and 3d etc.
4top455 likes this.
post #2260 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Honestly if you have kids you might not want to get a plasma. You have to be careful with them, especially when they are new, a few hours near the beginning of it's life with a nice static game or similar while the parents are out shopping or w/e can ruin the experience for the rest of the time you own the tv. They are also very heavy, electrified pieces of glass as well.

Now if this isn't an issue, and 5" in size is far from make or break, i'd say if you intend to do any gaming, the s60 or 64, if it's just tv etc than the st60 does have a better picture and apps and 3d etc.
+1 Glass and children is not usually a good combination. And the Cartoon Network Logo has been the object of frustration for many plasma owners. It is notorious for very stubborn IR.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2261 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks Xenon,
The kids are manageable as they have limited access .Their viewing is restricted to an older CRT most of the time with G rated channels.I do game a bit mostly sports games fifa /nfs etc mostly online but not so much "twitch gaming" .The concern over PQ and glare is probably the biggest .If the pq is close enough and the AR filter of the S64 is as good as the ST ....im prolly willing to trade the 3D for the extra 5 inches....plus Costco will always be a better place to buy than BB (which is where id need to get the ST ) /Hence the dilemma....and I've read through most all the relevant threads and so far leaning towards the S64 (65 inch) ....

Hope someone whose had both can chime in (again as i know some have ...but they exchanged for lag time issues that i may not even notice given what i play...)
Anyways good to hear from the forum )rolleyes.gif

FWIW Currently have a samsung LCD(LN52A650) and a smaller 42inch samsung matt screen.The 52 Samsung imo has pretty good PQ (barring night time viewing where the blacks are less than spectacular ) and has a reflective screen which adds "pop" or depth to the colors ...so curious to see how plasma willl hold up ....smile.gif
post #2262 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 29
I would do the Costco S64. Still get the light filter. 3D and smart apps are pointless (it still has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube). It will have a 2 year warranty and their extended warranty is very cheap. I would recommend it for the large set.
4top455 likes this.

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #2263 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
AKA
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
I strongly considered the 65S64 as an alternative to the 60ST60. I taped off the footprint of both and if the step up in PQ is as most people describe it, I'd be willing to forego the extra screen real estate for improved PQ. As long as the other differences are not significant enough, it comes down to a value judgement of which of those two is more important to you.

I suggest trying to see both in person before you do purchase, if at all possible.
4top455 likes this.
post #2264 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I downloaded the AVCHD.7z file, decompressed, and burned to a DVD, but it won't play on my BD player which supports AVCHD. The player keeps saying a software update has failed and to remove the disc and not to turn off the player until the upgrade has finished. Well I tried that, but it doesn't really seem to be updating, so I turned it off and tried again with the same error reappearing. I tried looking up the MD5 Hash to verify the download and burn, but can't find the Hash code or a link to it anywhere in the instructions.

HDTimeShifter,

I don't know enough to help troubleshoot that. The AVSHD 709 thread got pretty lengthy. Among other reasons, that was partly because so many people had problems getting a disc to run on their BD players.

I don't remember what version I used but it was the one for DVD usage on a PS3. That probably doesn't help with your BD player.

After I'd burnt it to disk, several in here a ways back suggested instead using the version for USB flash drive. I may still do that since I could then plug it into the PS3... then compare with it plugged directly into the TV to see if any devices in my HDMI chain are modifying the image. Rainy day project...

Back to your situation: I expect you've already searched for your BD player in the 709 thread. Is there a second file version available for that model or maybe some Q&A about your BD model? Yeah, that's tired. Maybe someone in here can help.

mm

ps: One thought/question: Did you use the DVD burning tool recommended by the 709 thread author - "ImgBurn"? It's linked there and really is free. A very light footprint, IMHO, and a pretty neat program. Much better than the burner program included with my DVD burner. With that, the 709 thread gave screen by screen instructions and it worked first shot for me. YMMV
Quote:

Thanks

I'd take either one in a heartbeat. I owned a 55ST60 and never would have returned it if not for an intermittent defect.

If you game quite a bit, the ST60 may be too laggy for you. If not, the main consequence I found of the lag (for me personally) was slow menu sometimes causing some doubles on the ST60. That is: I would push the button, nothing would happen in a reasonable length of time, so I'd figure it missed the signal, push the button again and hence the double. Opinions vary on lag quite a lot, but for me it was a pest, NOT a deal breaker.

S64 doesn't have 3D, however, seems quite a few are not thrilled with ST's 3D performance. Maybe that has changed if some better settings were found; I haven't been following the ST thread for the past month or so.

Did I see a drop in PQ from ST60 to S64? Heresy to some, but surprisingly to me, NO. Caveats: An AVS professional probably would see a drop in PQ. Also affecting this a lot: Luck of the draw, but: fairchild99's settings are working much better on my S64 than D-Nice's settings worked on my ST60. Both very nice, but the latter had some red push I could NOT seem to adjust out. And it was a bit dim during the daytime. Again, that ST had probably been dropped and was therefore defective, so could that have been contributing to the red problem & dimness? I don't know. My point: It's not apples to apples due to lucking into a panel that really likes fairchild99's settings and fairchild doing the massive work to share with us 10 (TEN!) iterations to choose from, but overall, I like the PQ BETTER on my S64. When I ordered the S64 to replace the ST60, I was very anxious that I was going to really have regrets "stepping down" one model line. Imagine my surprise when I liked it better... biggrin.gif

ST60 fans hold the brickbats, please. wink.gif Just one guy's opinion & I recognize it may not be in the majority. Had the ST not gone defective, though it would have cost a small fortune where I live, it was going to require pro calibration. I fully expect that would have given the nod to the ST60 - and maybe by a significant margin.

Back to what I said in the beginning: I'd take either one in a heartbeat. However, I know this may sound a bit amateurish, but I really like the added real estate A LOT more than I expected. But that was 55 to 65 - a BIG difference. 60 to 65 probably wouldn't be as drastic a difference..?

My take on value for price: ST60: Great value. S64: Amazing value.

Counterpoints welcomed and respected. There is no such thing as a perfect TV.

mm
post #2265 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x443IzTHZyM

These two videos sound pretty close. chrball's is a bit more intense, but who knows it could be the mic on the video camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrball View Post

I kind of wonder now if all the Panasonic plasmas buzz and the people who claim their plasma is perfect and has no buzz at all are just not hearing that frequency.

I need to decide if the constant buzzing on plasmas is worth it for me.

Mine makes a sound very similar to yours and xenons. i've come to the conclusion the S60 & S64 buzz. People who say there's doesn't buzz are either lying or can't hear the frequency.

I mostly notice the buzz late at night when everything is quiet, at that time, during bright scenes it's quite noticable. At those hours i have the TV volume lower, as it's not competing with house, road and other daily noises.

The other factor is the room. The room can either muffle the buzz of it can amplify the noise. I have my 65S64 in a room measuring 19 X 22, hardwood floors throughout, no window treatments, no area rug and one average 3 seater couch. Sadly my room is not helping the sound. The slightest noise bounces off the walls like there's no tomorrow. Last night a mouse was in the room, it farted and it sounded like my fathers Velodyne DD 18" ... i kid, i kid wink.gif

In all seriousness, i'm hoping when i lay down a large area rug, get my oversized sectional delivered and add window treatments it will soak up some of the sound. I can't listen to music in the room right now because it bounces all over the place and the soundstage is nonexistent. Even the TV volume is outta control. at nigght when i turn the TV up past 8 it's pretty damn loud...sorry for my room rant, but long story short, my room is not helping the buzz.

as a test i threw a thin blanket over the back of the TV for 10 seconds to see if it would reduce the buzz. With the blanket over the back of the Tv the buzz was pretty much nonexstent even with my head behind the TV. However, i know this is not a feasible solution because the set has to breathe as the plasma run hot. I plan on mounting the TV on the wall and one possible solution i've come up with to reduce the buzz is to coat the wall with a thin sound dampening material with hopes of soaking up the buzz so it doesn't bounce off the wall and play sonic pinball through my room. I don't know if this will work, but i figure it's worth a shot. I was thinking about something along these lines:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MP-Global-Insulayment-33-ft-4-in-x-3-ft-x-1-8-in-Acoustical-Recycled-Fiber-Underlayment-INSUL100/100641168
it doesn't have to be this EXACT product (I'm well aware it's for floors), just something thin that will absorb sound and not create a problem when mounting the television.

what do you guys think about this possible solution?
post #2266 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Is there any possible way that if people are loud enough, the TV will somehow see a revision? Obviously the answer is no, but the buzzing/popping is something that worries me about this TV.

Do we know if the sound is worse on the 65" than the 50"?
post #2267 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Eddie,

I think you've made some excellent points. Thought the mouse simile was pretty funny... biggrin.gif

Definitely sounds like your room may be contributing. I'm wondering with a wall mounted TV: Would it be possible to place acoustical foam (12" x 12" squares of wavy foam) behind the TV on the wall or would that interfere with cooling? I suppose that depends on the wall mount. Articulated arm, probably no heating consequences. Depending on wall color, I suppose it would look bad though... maybe if the perimeter was cut into an oval shape just inside the halo of your bias lighting..? I dunno.

Maybe someone can suggest a wall treatment with a lot of attenuation that isn't an eyesore?

Just guessing: Are you keeping sound typically very low due to echo in the room right now? I had a living room in S. Texas with marble flooring and had to do that. It was harsh.

mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Is there any possible way that if people are loud enough, the TV will somehow see a revision? Obviously the answer is no, but the buzzing/popping is something that worries me about this TV.

Do we know if the sound is worse on the 65" than the 50"?

I haven't paid close enough attention about whether the complaints are more common or worse on the 65's.

I personally wouldn't worry about popping too much. If you get one that pops badly enough to need returned, you'll be in the minority based on this S60 thread. Had I not read about it here, I'd have probably thought nothing of it since it is so minor on my S64. I'd have thought: It's an enormous panel, so it HAS to have some expansion and contraction. And: "I wonder how they keep expansion and contraction THAT quiet?" But that's not how I learned about it. Instead: As is often said, now that I read about it and heard it, I can't "unhear" it. wink.gif It is definitely not bothersome on my panel.

I'm no longer going to comment on buzz since it appears likely I'm deaf to that frequency. Sorry I can't help there.

Will complaints sway Panasonic to address these issues?

With popping, if it is as quiet as my S64, I can't see why they should. But what if they do get a lot of complaints on anything?

My dealings with Panny and reading others input about their experiences with Panasonic makes me think of them as somewhat "deny happy" about various problems ("...we've never heard of that complaint before...") [appears everyone gets told that and it is bs], so I don't personally see them doing anything about existing models. As for changes mid-year in production? I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt it. Appears the popping thing has been around a long time. I read in here that they're using the updated screws with lock washers now in 2013 panels, so it appears they did make one change related to popping - maybe due to excessive warranty repairs?...

I don't think complaints are going to do it since is seems to me that those are pretty much ignored. If there are enough WARRANTY CLAIMS or RETURNS about an issue? I think then they might change something for 2014 models. Or maybe not.

Ok, the above is probably too cynical and I shouldn't be that way due to bad representation from 4 people in Panny support. 4 doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other good CSR's there. My interaction with them was during the time when the one panel went bad and also when calling/emailing about the ST60 lag problem.

I wonder if your question has been posted in the industry insider's thread?

edit: If anyone calls Panasonic about a problem, here is a tip: If the Panny rep learns that your TV is still in the return period, they will REALLY push to send a repair tech out (even for input lag on an ST60 eek.gif ) because: After any repair of your panel is completed, your return period is then ENDED early due to the repair. Or at least, such is my understanding. That felt like trickery to me because they did not disclose that the repair would end the return period. I learned that elsewhere, thank goodness. I asked the one rep if having a repair guy out would end the return period. He refused to answer and immediately turned smart alec when I calmly said I thought I would just return it instead.

Aside: I note that Amazon Warehouse has 11 (eleven) 55ST60's for sale used. That's way more than other sizes AND models, so maybe my defective 55ST60 wasn't due to rough handling as I'd thought?
post #2268 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 13
> I strongly considered the 65S64 as an alternative to the 60ST60. I taped off the footprint of both and if the step up in PQ is as most people describe it, I'd be willing to forego the extra screen real estate for improved PQ.

I'll bet that the PQ difference has *much* more to do with the size difference than the difference between S64 and ST60. The difference in pixel density ought to be striking.
post #2269 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopedals View Post

> I strongly considered the 65S64 as an alternative to the 60ST60. I taped off the footprint of both and if the step up in PQ is as most people describe it, I'd be willing to forego the extra screen real estate for improved PQ.

I'll bet that the PQ difference has *much* more to do with the size difference than the difference between S64 and ST60. The difference in pixel density ought to be striking.

In support of that, I've read quite a few customer feedback(s) where the buyer said maybe the (various models) 65" is a little less sharp for PQ than they hoped for. IOW, they were showing some regret. Some of those also said they believe 55 to 60 is the butter zone at 1080p for going big but keeping it razor sharp.

If I wanted to get closer than 8 or maybe 7 feet for gaming or something, I think the 65's pixels might be too coarse for me. It's perfect for me at 9 to 10 feet with my eyes in the 20/20 to 20/25 range. But if someone has more acute vision, I could see where it might be bothersome even at recommended viewing distances.

This may also track with what you're saying: I have sharpness set at 20 on my 65PS64 whereas I kept it at 0 on my 55ST60.
post #2270 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

I went from the 65 to the 50 on S64s for a number of reasons detailed in an earlier post. For most viewing (at about 9 feet) the 65 was wonderful. If the source was not great, the issues were magnified. Even stuff like old kinescopes on SD channels are pretty watchable at 50".
post #2271 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 10
Hows the game performance on this tv? I know it has low input lag but does it handle motion well? I'm looking between this and the sony 802A. I've a st60 but unhappy due to the high lag.
post #2272 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback.....I appreciate your time and will post back once i get theS64 next week...I reckoon if there's an issue at least I have costco's return policy to fall back on...BB im not too sure of...Will keep everyone posted!!

Any pics and thoughts on the glare/reflection st60 vs. s64 at 65 inches?
post #2273 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

I don't know enough to help troubleshoot that. The AVSHD 709 thread got pretty lengthy. Among other reasons, that was partly because so many people had problems getting a disc to run on their BD players.

After I'd burnt it to disk, several in here a ways back suggested instead using the version for USB flash drive. I may still do that since I could then plug it into the PS3... then compare with it plugged directly into the TV to see if any devices in my HDMI chain are modifying the image. Rainy day project...

Back to your situation: I expect you've already searched for your BD player in the 709 thread. Is there a second file version available for that model or maybe some Q&A about your BD model? Yeah, that's tired. Maybe someone in here can help.

One thought/question: Did you use the DVD burning tool recommended by the 709 thread author - "ImgBurn"? It's linked there and really is free. A very light footprint, IMHO, and a pretty neat program. Much better than the burner program included with my DVD burner. With that, the 709 thread gave screen by screen instructions and it worked first shot for me.

I didn't use ImgBurn because I think it's a Windows program and I'm running Linux - well I could boot to Windows 7 on my other drive, but I'm currently running a 24+hour repartition of a new 2 TB drive for my HTPC build. My BD player wasn't listed in the PDF. I only read the instructions in the first post and haven't had time to read the rest of the thread. I'll try making a USB copy of the calibration and run that on my TV next. I may also try burning a DVD with Windows later whether or not the USB runs (don't think it will do all the calibrations the discs do). After I find time to read the thread, I'll post my question about possible failed DVD burn. I'd like to try my own calibrations using that disc before trying out Fairchild's settings to have a comparison with the best I can do to his settings.
post #2274 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabearfan101 View Post

Hows the game performance on this tv? I know it has low input lag but does it handle motion well? I'm looking between this and the sony 802A. I've a st60 but unhappy due to the high lag.
Games look better than on any LCD/LED. The moving resolution is about 700 lines, but it's more than enough for twitch gaming. Just make sure you're sitting the right distance from it.
post #2275 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM

FWIW most of the watching is from around 10-11 feet at a 30 degree angle as the sweet spot is taken up by a fireplace across from the TV in my rectangular room.
post #2276 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I appreciate your time and will post back once i get theS64 next week...I reckoon if there's an issue at least I have costco's return policy to fall back on...BB im not too sure of

Sam's (and I think Costco) have a 90 day return policy. Best Buy is a very poor 15 day policy. I bought a clothes dryer from BB just a week after buying my 65S64 and after finding out about their very short (I thought the industry standard was 30 days) return policy, I will resort to BB as a last choice when buying electronics. The only reason I bought my dryer at BB was because they offered free delivery and installation, which saved me about $100 off competitors.
4top455 and MountainMichael like this.
post #2277 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.....I appreciate your time and will post back once i get theS64 next week...I reckoon if there's an issue at least I have costco's return policy to fall back on...BB im not too sure of...Will keep everyone posted!!

Any pics and thoughts on the glare/reflection st60 vs. s64 at 65 inches?

YW. My camera is a toaster rolleyes.gif so I doubt my pics will help much. If you haven't seen them yet, suggest scrolling back to posts 1933 and 1970 for jchristian79's brilliant pics. Some pretty good 65PS64 pics earlier in thread somewhere, too.

IMHO, glare was identical between ST60 and S64. Example: One small pest window at just the wrong angle had glare right in the middle of my 55ST60, so I blacked that window out. Uncovered the window with the S64 just now and yup, it is the same pest. Leaving it blacked out. Other windows that aren't at "just the wrong angle" and overhead lights, no problem even with curtains open.

However, with ST60 or S64, the glare filter is nowhere near total - it's still pretty shiny fwiw. If the screen had a totally flat finish, I suspect the PQ would be harmed more than we would be willing to accept.

One guy in here suggested maybe placing a "solar screen" over an offending window if you don't want it blacked out. As you probably know, solar screens range from grey to black with different mesh. Depending on which you select, light attentuation could be selected to be anywhere from mild to severe.

Regarding motion, Agree with El Matadurr. However, having said that, if you get a 65", every motion error is magnified the bigger the panel, IMHO. It took some getting used to. It is so much better now, I'm now in the camp that believes plasma motion trailing reduces somewhat over the first few hundred hours. About 350 hours on my S64 now. Opinions vary and I can't prove the reduction. It bothered me on the 55ST60, too, but less so after 200 hours so I think the same things about that one.

It still bothers me anytime the cameraman shakes the camera trying (but inevitably failing) to make fake action. But then, in movie theaters such camera antics make me full on nauseous - so in that respect, I'd say the TV is doing a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

I didn't use ImgBurn because I think it's a Windows program and I'm running Linux - well I could boot to Windows 7 on my other drive, but I'm currently running a 24+hour repartition of a new 2 TB drive for my HTPC build. My BD player wasn't listed in the PDF. I only read the PDF instructions and haven't had time to read the related thread. I'll try making a USB copy of the calibration and run that on my TV next. I may also try burning a DVD with Windows later whether or not the USB runs (don't think it will do all the calibrations the discs do). After I find time to read the thread, I'll post my question about possible failed DVD burn. I'd like to try my own calibrations using that disc before trying out Fairchild's settings to have a comparison with the best I can do to his settings.

Sounds like a good plan.
4top455 likes this.
post #2278 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM

What's the comparison in quality between a last year gt50 and s60?
I may have the opportunity to get a gt50 for roughly an st60 price.(st60 is out for me due to lag)
note: I don't care about 3d at all, just 2d.
post #2279 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM

Liked: 29
Quick question. I own a S64 and a Denon 2113. How do I get the tv audio to play thru my reciever using the ARC?

Denon 2113, Klipsch RF-52, RC-35, RB-61, SVS PB-1000
Chicago
post #2280 of 7174 Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
So I finished the 100 hours running d-nice's slides. Now I'm wondering which settings I should try out. Is there any specifically for the 42s60 or will settings for the 50 inch model work just fine. I watched some Breaking Bad On bluray set to cinema and it looked phenomenal.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page