post #2341 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

From CNET's S60 review...

"The selection here is better than in 2012's equivalent "U" models. Highlights include a two-point grayscale and a color management for the primary colors -- although the multipoint grayscale and gamma controls of previous years go missing. The company has also added another picture mode, Home Theater, atop its standard four, and a cool "copy adjustments" option that allows you to migrate your picture settings from one input or mode to others."

Ok wait a second...Somebody in this thread said that the S60 does in fact have gamma(2.2, 2.4 ect)contols...A little confused here?

Took a video for ya as proof. This is a 50" s60.

http://youtu.be/rmd5ao62wz8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Burger View Post

The other approach is to run the optical audio out through a D-to-A converter. You’ll soon discover that the Dolby encoding on Panasonics means that the cheaper converters won’t work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Obviously when watching stuff either OTA or through my Cable box, then I lose this and have to listen only through the TV speakers. I have thought of getting a sound-bar, but frankly the TV speakers have usually been enough for my ears.

I have just purchased a P42S60 and am confused by the manual with respect to Digital Audio Out Selection (pp 34-5, 134-5). If I select PCM (rather that Auto) output, will the toslink digital out send PCM for ALL material (including the blu-ray and cable box signals connected via hdmi inputs to the TV), or only "for video contents of Medial Player / Network Services"? This would be going to a sound bar that cannot handle dolby digital.

If the latter, has anyone had success working around this issue with either of these: (1) Gefen GTV-DD-2-AA , or (2) Orei DA34 Digital to Analogue Audio Decoder? Any other suggestions?

(1) [http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2-AA-Digital-Audio-Decoder/dp/B0021QBIBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372008557&sr=8-1&keywords=Gefen+GTV-DD-2-AA]

(2) [http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA34-Digital-5-1-Channel-Headphone/dp/B008EPW7O0/ref=pd_cp_e_3]
post #2343 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmanne View Post

I have just purchased a P42S60 and am confused by the manual with respect to Digital Audio Out Selection (pp 34-5, 134-5). If I select PCM (rather that Auto) output, will the toslink digital out send PCM for ALL material (including the blu-ray and cable box signals connected via hdmi inputs to the TV), or only "for video contents of Medial Player / Network Services"? This would be going to a sound bar

I recently picked up a Sony HT-CT150 and the way I have it setup HTPC+Cable box--->HT-CT150--->P50S60 (through HDMI) then I also have P50S60--->HT-CT150 (through Digital Audio Output (Optical))

I have it setup this way because I was having issues with using the ARC feature and having the HTPC not properly recognize that the soundbar supports 8 channels + 24-bit to preserve the highest quality output when watching blu-rays through my HTPC.

With method I can bitstream through the HTPC to the soundbar and it can decode DD(AC3) + DTS. All other HD audio formats like DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD (which is what most blu-rays are encoded with) is decoded by the software in my HTPC and sent to the soundbar in LPCM.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #2344 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmanoob2013 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

Do you hear buzzing from 6 feet away with normal content (TV or BD)? I couldn't hear it with mine except with my ear an inch away or behind the set at the speaker vents at the top corners. The only time I heard buzzing from my couch 10 feet away was with the whiter slides, but that's not representative of normal viewing, so it doesn't bother me.

I can hear it with normal content -- not just the slides. Watched an episode of Arrested Development on Netflix at low volume and both my friend and I could hear buzzing through the speech and in moments where there was no dialogue.

Sounds like the one 50S60 and two 50ST60s manufactured in Jan/Feb/Mar 2013 bought from two different sellers. See this post for a more:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461177/official-panasonic-s60-series-discussion-thread/2220#post_23445133

As for "hearing buzzing on whiter slides from 10 feet", that level of buzzing will absolutely be audible at least sometimes during "normal" viewing. See my post for more.
post #2345 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Seeing as a few of you fine fellas are talking about the s60/64 in relation to a home theater, and seeing as I just bought a home theater in a box last week, I would post my findings!

Should this be of help to any of you great! If not..... well too bad i guess!

The system I bought is the Sony HTSF470

It is a 5.1, all wired home theater system, though it is capable of using wireless speakers with an apparently no longer available adapter and wireless speakers, that just comes with a receiver, no cheap blu-ray player here that eats $100 of the cost of the system.

It has HDMI pass-through for 3 HDMI devices, with a single hdmi out to the television. It also has two optical in's and coax in, as well as two rca inputs which can be used for anything you want (including converting into a 3.5mm audio jack to plug anything in with one of those, just need the cable adapter). Having just one hdmi cable into the back of the tv is awesome, and helps make up for the really lame amount of hdmi ports on the tv itself.

It also supports bravia sync, so it is capable of receiving commands from the s60. It will turn on when the tv is turned on, and will accept volume control commands from the regular tv remote, or any other remote you use to control the tv. Best of all it supports the Audio Return Channel, which the s60 also supports (HDMI 2!!!!), so the built in apps will send their audio to the receiver, no extra cables needed. I have not tried plugging in a surround sound capable device into the open jack on the tv itself to see if it will forward on the audio to the receiver, no idea if it will even do that but it would be awesome!

All of this seems to work fine for the most part, there have been occasions when they seem to decide to not work. But turn the tv off and on and they work fine again.

The system seems to work fine with everything I have put into it, especially games. Man does the surround sound make them more immersive.

Anyway, from what i've experienced of it I definitely recommend this system. Been great to me so far.

Cheers
post #2346 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmanne View Post

I have just purchased a P42S60 and am confused by the manual with respect to Digital Audio Out Selection (pp 34-5, 134-5). If I select PCM (rather that Auto) output, will the toslink digital out send PCM for ALL material (including the blu-ray and cable box signals connected via hdmi inputs to the TV), or only "for video contents of Medial Player / Network Services"? This would be going to a sound bar that cannot handle dolby digital.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I recently picked up a Sony HT-CT150 and the way I have it setup HTPC+Cable box--->HT-CT150--->P50S60 (through HDMI) then I also have P50S60--->HT-CT150 (through Digital Audio Output (Optical))

I have it setup this way because I was having issues with using the ARC feature and having the HTPC not properly recognize that the soundbar supports 8 channels + 24-bit to preserve the highest quality output when watching blu-rays through my HTPC.

With method I can bitstream through the HTPC to the soundbar and it can decode DD(AC3) + DTS. All other HD audio formats like DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD (which is what most blu-rays are encoded with) is decoded by the software in my HTPC and sent to the soundbar in LPCM.

This will be straight from the S60 to the sound bar by toslink, and I will be limited to pedestal type sound bars, like ZVOX. While some ZVOX models can handle Dolby Digital input, my current preference (SpeakerCraft CS3) cannot. So, I need confirmation of whether or not selecting PCM only as the S60 Digital Audio Output will convert all output to PCM. If not, I need to either find a work around like the two products listed in my earlier post, or be limited to one of the ZVOX models that can handle Dolby Digital input. Thanks.
post #2347 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Liked: 13
Just passing along my experience with the sound FWIW.

I send HDMI from my blu-ray player and tivo. On both I use the setting for 2 channel PCM. Then I go optical toslink to the digital input of my Onkyo TX-8050 receiver, which is a two channel receiver that can only accept PCM. This works fine for Bluray, OTA (from the tivo), netflix, and amazon instant video.

I get no sound from vudu (no big deal), and suspect the same issues from OTA through the TV tuner. The optical out will pass whatever it gets; it won't turn 5.1 into PCM.
post #2348 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted this in the general section but I suppose I can ask here as well (I didn't read this entire thread... yet):

I'm in the market for a fairly large TV. It will be for my living room which has a bunch of windows but most TV viewing will be done in the evenings. I wanted to go with something like 70" or 80" LED but I keep reading that the Panasonic plasma offers the best picture quality and the little lag. I play a lot of video games and I watch a lot of sports. Is the Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma a good choice? My only other HDTV is a 42" 1080i Panasonic plasma that I bought in 2004 (and paid a ton for) and I absolutely love. Any thoughts?
post #2349 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post

I posted this in the general section but I suppose I can ask here as well (I didn't read this entire thread... yet):

I'm in the market for a fairly large TV. It will be for my living room which has a bunch of windows but most TV viewing will be done in the evenings. I wanted to go with something like 70" or 80" LED but I keep reading that the Panasonic plasma offers the best picture quality and the little lag. I play a lot of video games and I watch a lot of sports. Is the Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma a good choice? My only other HDTV is a 42" 1080i Panasonic plasma that I bought in 2004 (and paid a ton for) and I absolutely love. Any thoughts?

Lots of windows, constant sport scores and huds, and static game huds are pretty much a plasma's bane. The PQ will certainly be better but you will have to be careful is all. Plasma's benefit most from full screen varied content. An hour here or there won't do anything but go a whole 4 hour game with all those static white banners and scored etc you could have some unwanted side effects, especially at the beginning of the set's life.

Just thought i'd put it out there. Thought it is to be said that i've only had this set about 5 weeks and am still paranoid about image retention, even though I have seen none beyond the stuff that goes away after 30 seconds of watching something else. I should say that it's flaws aside I love this set so far, the PQ of plasma's are definitely superior, I saw that as soon as I got the thing home.

There is a reason plasma's own the top spots of PQ competitions every year.
post #2350 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Lots of windows, constant sport scores and huds, and static game huds are pretty much a plasma's bane. The PQ will certainly be better but you will have to be careful is all. Plasma's benefit most from full screen varied content. An hour here or there won't do anything but go a whole 4 hour game with all those static white banners and scored etc you could have some unwanted side effects, especially at the beginning of the set's life.

Just thought i'd put it out there. Thought it is to be said that i've only had this set about 5 weeks and am still paranoid about image retention, even though I have seen none beyond the stuff that goes away after 30 seconds of watching something else. I should say that it's flaws aside I love this set so far, the PQ of plasma's are definitely superior, I saw that as soon as I got the thing home.

There is a reason plasma's own the top spots of PQ competitions every year.

Thanks. My (very old) plasma does suffer from some mild image retention but it always goes away if I change the channel and is only noticeable when I turn the set off. It is the only TV in my house and I do play a ton of video games on it and I watch sports all the time and it has been great - I can only think the technology has gotten better over the last 9 years, right? It is still a tough decision though since I don't buy TVs very often!
post #2351 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks. My (very old) plasma does suffer from some mild image retention but it always goes away if I change the channel and is only noticeable when I turn the set off. It is the only TV in my house and I do play a ton of video games on it and I watch sports all the time and it has been great - I can only think the technology has gotten better over the last 9 years, right? It is still a tough decision though since I don't buy TVs very often!

I apologize, I missed the part that your existing TV is already a plasma. With that fact you obviously well know the downsides of the technology, so that didn't need to be said. With that in mind, I'm sure you'll love these new sets!!!

Good luck with what ever you decide to purchase!
post #2352 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Accidental double post. Feel free to delete!
post #2353 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I just started setting up my HTPC with Mythbuntu and downloaded a couple of test videos, one 1080p and one 480p. The 1080p was good, but a snowy landscape with an animated character, but I was amazed with the 480p picture of closeup landscape of blades of grass - it was colorful and no pixellation at all - couldn't really tell it was SD instead of HD! Wow!
post #2354 of 7135 Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 PM

Liked: 10
Swapped my buzzing set today at the store. New set has similar/same level of buzzing, *and* popping. FML.
post #2355 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Took a video for ya as proof. This is a 50" s60.

http://youtu.be/rmd5ao62wz8

Ahhh, thanks! Just wanted to make sure. And silly question, but these gamma presets apply to custom mode and every other mode outside of cinema?
Yeah, I'm not a big fan on Panasonic's dim, flat, de-saturated colored' dull Cinema mode. The S30's gamma was very high(must of been 2.6 by default) when in custom or anything otuside of cinema....While Cinema's seemed a teeny bit too low, but it was a lot more natural than the other modes, where as the other modes had some nasty black detail crushing going on, with the image overall looing pretty harsh....combine that with the piercing bright whites, white clipping and nasty color pushing resulted in one terrible picture tongue.gif

I can't wait to make the jump and get an S60 next month. Would love to know if there IS a way to disable that pesky auto dimming though...
post #2356 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Swapped my buzzing set today at the store. New set has similar/same level of buzzing, *and* popping. FML.

I'm sorry bro. That sucks.

Thanks for posting though, while it's a ****** situation...your experience and post taught me that i should got through the hassle of returning the TV with hopes of getting on that doesn't pop.

Again, i'm sorry about the situation, but thanks for posting your experience, as crappy as it seems, you sharing your troubles does oddly help others!
post #2357 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

My set is getting delivered this afternoon (finally), I'm a little worried about these noise reports for the s64 but I hope I don't have the issue. I'm very sensitive to ambient noise from electronic devices but my TV is wall mounted on a mount that comes out quiet a bit so Hopefully the noise behind the tv will be dampened. If you got your set delivered how hard was the return process via Costco? No store in my area had even one of these in stock so I ordered from Costco.com. I don't have a truck so I was curious if you had to haul your set in and get another one delivered, or how the process went. This is my first plasma and being super paranoid about IR and noise has me a bit worried but I wanted to at least give this set a try. Luckily my current LCD set is going into my office for video games so this TV is pretty much used exclusively for XBMC and sports. Hopefully I'll have a good handle on the TV before NFL Sunday's start which is really my biggest IR fear.
post #2358 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post

My set is getting delivered this afternoon (finally), I'm a little worried about these noise reports for the s64 but I hope I don't have the issue. I'm very sensitive to ambient noise from electronic devices but my TV is wall mounted on a mount that comes out quiet a bit so Hopefully the noise behind the tv will be dampened. If you got your set delivered how hard was the return process via Costco? No store in my area had even one of these in stock so I ordered from Costco.com. I don't have a truck so I was curious if you had to haul your set in and get another one delivered, or how the process went. This is my first plasma and being super paranoid about IR and noise has me a bit worried but I wanted to at least give this set a try. Luckily my current LCD set is going into my office for video games so this TV is pretty much used exclusively for XBMC and sports. Hopefully I'll have a good handle on the TV before NFL Sunday's start which is really my biggest IR fear.

Since you're so accustomed to LCD, i'm sure the S64's black levels are going to completely knock your socks off(no contest between the two), and the motion handeling will be a giant step up as well. wink.gif
If anything, your LCD will still have the edge when it comes to brightness, whites, producing a bit of a cleaner picture, no IR, no auto dimming and no glare....But the S64 wont have any issues with viewing angles, possible screen clouding or back light bleeding. Personally, I'd hop on board the LED train if it weren't for the technologies inherent motion blur...I can't tolerate it, it drives me nuts.....And the fact that you have to basically spend an arm & a leg for the higher 'higher' end LED's to get good black levels.
post #2359 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I searched "app, remote2, iOS, turn on" and got nothing in this thread.

I can't read 79 pages to possibly not find the answer. I just bought the 42", downloaded the iOS Viera Remote2 app, and the app DOES NOT turn on the TV.
mad.gif
My 3-year old Yamaha AVR can be turned-on with its app. What the hey? This TV doesn't have a standby mode for wake-on-lan?

Does anyone know where on the Panasonic site to put in a feature request? Or a number to call?
post #2360 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi all,

First time plasma owner -- I just purchased a 50PS64 from Costco earlier today.

Unfortunately I'm also dealing with the buzzing issue that chrball described earlier. Seated about six feet away from the television, I can hear a distinct buzzing noise at 50% contrast while running slides.

EDIT: Some caveats -- my room has hardwood floors, and the set is about a foot from the wall, so it's possible it's bouncing from the back of the unit towards the couch. I had a friend test it with me and they can definitely hear it from six feet away. We both have good hearing.

Man people and the buzzing. I can hear my 58" buzz on my couch 9 feet away.

Can I hear my tv buzz when I'm watching The Dark Knight on my 7.1 sound system... erm NO!
biggrin.gif
post #2361 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

Since you're so accustomed to LCD, i'm sure the S64's black levels are going to completely knock your socks off(no contest between the two), and the motion handeling will be a giant step up as well. wink.gif
If anything, your LCD will still have the edge when it comes to brightness, whites, producing a bit of a cleaner picture, no IR, no auto dimming and no glare....But the S64 wont have any issues with viewing angles, possible screen clouding or back light bleeding. Personally, I'd hop on board the LED train if it weren't for the technologies inherent motion blur...I can't tolerate it, it drives me nuts.....And the fact that you have to basically spend an arm & a leg for the higher 'higher' end LED's to get good black levels.

I think I'm going to love the technology for the use case that I have which is very little of anything with static content except sports, but If I was buying a TV for video games I don't think I would've even taken the chance on plasma just from being paranoid and the fact I do tend to play in extremely long sessions. I also didn't get to see the set in person and just jumped on the reputation and price. I previously just played video games on a 24 inch monitor in my office so getting my LCD wall mounted in my office is going to be a nice set up for me. My viewing distance in my living room is 13ft so the 46 inch tv was always way too small. I'll definitely contribute my thoughts to the set after once I've had it at least a few days, I really wish I could've got it delivered Friday and had the weekend to play. Are Live sports really that bad for IR, especially football which has lots of replays and commercials? ESPN has that static ticker on the bottom and I do tend to watch Redzone some Sundays for 6 hrs straight which has something similar. If it gets to be a problem I can always watch in my office. My XBMC box is set to DIM after 3 minutes to like 10% and auto turn off the display after 15 so I don't have to worry about the significant other leaving menu's \ paused movies up and that's 80% plus of what we watch in the living room. My main question was just about how people returned the tv just in case I had to go that route, I was curious if you had to haul it up to the physical store even if they don't carry it in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

Can I hear my tv buzz when I'm watching The Dark Knight on my 7.1 sound system... erm NO!
biggrin.gif

I'll have to see when I get mine today but that is a very good point. My HTPC not being quiet would annoy me cause the thing is on 24/7 when I'm doing other things in the room, but if my TV made a little noise I'm not sure that would be a big deal unless I could hear it over watching anything.
post #2362 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:

biggrin.gif

I really wish there could be some kind of disclaimer before people post in this thread.

"If you can only hear the buzzing during silence or scenes with no sound, then your set is fine. Please don't post about it, plasma's buzz!"

:P
post #2363 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

....I'm in the market for a fairly large TV. It will be for my living room which has a bunch of windows but most TV viewing will be done in the evenings. I wanted to go with something like 70" or 80" LED but I keep reading that the Panasonic plasma offers the best picture quality and the little lag. I play a lot of video games and I watch a lot of sports. Is the Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma a good choice?

Since you watch sports and presumably during the daytime, you'd probably be better off with an S64 series instead of an S60. The S64 is a Costco/Sams Club version of the S60 and is exactly the same, but it adds the Anti-Reflective Louver Filter that is used on the higher ST60 series so it's not as reflective as the regular S60 is.

Quote:
My only other HDTV is a 42" 1080i Panasonic plasma that I bought in 2004 (and paid a ton for) and I absolutely love. Any thoughts?

Actually your old 2004 42 incher is a 480p Plasma (not 1080i) so it's not even high definition ! It merely accepts a 1080i signal then down-rezzes it to the screen's 480p native resolution. Panasonic never made a 1080i Plasma, and their first 42" 1080p model was in 2007 (i have one). You're in for a real treat once you get a big 1080p display in your home wink.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #2364 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I really wish there could be some kind of disclaimer before people post in this thread.

"If you can only hear the buzzing during silence or scenes with no sound, then your set is fine. Please don't post about it, plasma's buzz!"

:P

I think most people would tend to agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately not all buzzing is created equal. The typical plasma buzzing in my S64 was accompanied by another higher pitched buzz even when there was no content (basically a black screen). My U50 didn't have this extra layer of buzzing, and I could tell a significant difference at normal volume levels while comparing them side by side. I decided to hold off for a while on replacing my U50, and maybe wait to see if there are any good 4th of July deals on the ST60 next month. Perhaps different components in the ST60 = different / more tolerable buzz to my ears.

But trust me, having to box up a 50" TV and lug it all the way back to Costco in my truck and deal with the returns process isn't something I did because of buzzing OCD. I really did want to keep it, the picture was that much better than my U50. Honestly, I have to question the people on the other side of the spectrum who say they have to stick their head behind the TV and "strain" to hear the buzzing. Either these people have hearing damage in certain frequencies, or there really is variance in buzzing among different plasma panels.
post #2365 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post

Honestly, I have to question the people on the other side of the spectrum who say they have to stick their head behind the TV and "strain" to hear the buzzing. Either these people have hearing damage in certain frequencies, or there really is variance in buzzing among different plasma panels.

I presume it is a mix of people with actual hearing loss of that wavelength and/or volume AND pro-plasma people trying to understate the buzzing issue.
post #2366 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I presume it is a mix of people with actual hearing loss of that wavelength and/or volume AND pro-plasma people trying to understate the buzzing issue.

I don't know if I am just getting used to it or what, but I can swear the effect has diminished since I bought the TV 5 weeks ago. I do not have the best hearing out there, I am aware of this, but I can definitely hear the buzz when I get close to the TV so I can certainly hear that frequency of sound.

I sit about 7" or so away from my 50", and I really can't hear the buzzing anymore over the background noise in the room (my desktop pc, A/C etc...).

A few pages back I posted a video of my TV's buzz, it might help if you guys who think your set buzzes really bad would post a video, just for comparison's sake.

Just saying.
post #2367 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post

Honestly, I have to question the people on the other side of the spectrum who say they have to stick their head behind the TV and "strain" to hear the buzzing. Either these people have hearing damage in certain frequencies, or there really is variance in buzzing among different plasma panels.
Quote:

I believe there is a variance in buzzing plasma to plasma...For some people i honestly believe the cannot hear the frequency. Others IMHO are just trying to save face.
post #2368 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Arkadian View Post

I believe there is a variance in buzzing plasma to plasma...For some people i honestly believe the cannot hear the frequency. Others IMHO are just trying to save face.

I have great hearing (I even have Polk RTi's and listen to SACD/DVD-A and vinyl quite a bit) and do not hear any buzzing at all. My face is good btw.
post #2369 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

I have great hearing (I even have Polk RTi's and listen to SACD/DVD-A and vinyl quite a bit) and do not hear any buzzing at all. My face is good btw.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an S60 or S64?
post #2370 of 7135 Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by esk1 View Post

If you got your set delivered how hard was the return process via Costco? No store in my area had even one of these in stock so I ordered from Costco.com. I don't have a truck so I was curious if you had to haul your set in and get another one delivered, or how the process went. This is my first plasma and being super paranoid about IR and noise has me a bit worried but I wanted to at least give this set a try.

I purchased mine at a Costco warehouse, but don't own a car (live in a city), so have had to rent Zipcars each time to pick up/return. It's a big pain in the ass and waste of money every time I go back...

Hope your experience is better than mine! For what it's worth, a friend of mine purchased his own set when I went back to return mine, and says his is perfect. We picked two right next to each other, so looks like I drew the short straw smile.gif
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Not all of us are blessed with 7.1 surround sound smile.gif My paltry soundbar will just have to make do!

===

Now I need to decide whether or not I think the third time will be the charm...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page