Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Arkadian View Post

Xenon, i'm sorry you don't appreciate my input on this set.

I am simply posting my experience. We should be allowed to post our honest opinion in a respectful manner, that's what a forum is all about...honest first hand experiences and reviews, with hopes of helping others.

It's a very minor sound...however the frequency of the sound is getting worse and the accumulation of the pops is becoming a maor nuisance. I'm all for getting the best bang for one's buck, however the annoying pops are starting to become a constant reminder about how much i've saved. After a solid month of being serenaded with cracking while viewing my favorite movies & tv shows...after MUCH deliberation, this isn't the right TV for me.

This TV offers an incredible picture for the money. A Better 65" picture CANNOT be had at this pricepoint. This was the PERFECT TV for me, 65", excellent picture, no 3-D...ect. Trust me, do you think i want to spend an additional $1,500+ on something that serves the same exact purpose? HELL NO, but it is what it is.

For those that are in the market fot this TV, it's now $1,288 at Sam's Club
biggrin.gif

I appreciate you posting your experiences, good and bad. That's what the forum is for.

I'd think about exchanging your S64 for another one. It sounds like it could be the ideal TV for you, and many people here aren't getting any pops with theirs. Plasma buzz from this set might always be an issue for you based on your Best Buy testing, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

For those of you who are experiencing loud plastic expansion popping on your TVs, it may very well just go away after some time. My old PX50U went through a severe popping phase for a few months then eventually stopped doing it and has been silent ever since. The same exact thing was happening on my small Toshiba LCD TV while i was watching it and continued for a while after shutting it off - and it eventually stopped doing it as well. I presume the plastic parts that were causing the problem finally got heat-cycled or worn-in or whatever and became quiet.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/848405/popping-panny

Thanks Randy. this has crossed my mind, but it's a gamble especially because my return window is closing by the day and it seems my problem is getting worse.

i'm going to give it to the weekend to make a final decision. I appreciate you chiming in !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

If you hear the pops and buzzing and it irritates you, complaining here all day most likely will not fix the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamino View Post

I appreciate you posting your experiences, good and bad. That's what the forum is for.

I'd think about exchanging your S64 for another one. It sounds like it could be the ideal TV for you, and many people here aren't getting any pops with theirs. Plasma buzz from this set might always be an issue for you based on your Best Buy testing, though.

good point. Thanks Azamino.
post #2433 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM

Been a happy owner of 50S60 since March. Had a bit of the popping when the TV was newer. It can be disconcerting especially for the OCD side of me. Happily it has subsided and I have not heard it in the past few months (I'd say since the end of April). The reported buzzing is NOT that annoying and really barely audible. I had a 42" LG plasma from about 5 years ago that buzzed like a street light with a bad ballast. That sucker was LOUD. It's part of the plasma experience. Great picture for a great price. Nothing is going to be "perfect" in every respect. This Panasonic comes close enough for me. A real sweet spot of performance and reasonable price. Every technology has a crossover point where the performance and the price cross on some sort of cosmic value graph and this Panny hits the target for me. Been using the settings posted by Fairchild here and tweaking to my taste and I can't complain.
post #2434 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My S30 will pop maybe a few times every hour, yet i couldn't care less. When i watch movies 90% of the time I'm always using a pair of Sennheiser HD595's or a close pair of cans for gaming.

If anything, i'm just curious about how much better the S60's blacks are compared to the S30's and if the S60 suffers from white clipping in Custom mode?
I'm not interested in using cinema for anything.
post #2435 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

man, this popping is really getting to me. Sadly the popping/cracking seems to be progressing on my 65S64. i kept a tally, i counted 10 pops in the first hour...and it doesn't stop there. It's getting to the point it pops once every 5-10 minutes, maybe one pop every 1/2 an hour. I find myself sitting there waiting for the pops and they just keep coming. It's getting close to the point of no return. I'm seriously considering returning the TV and upgrading to the 65" VT or the Samsung 64" 8500. at this point i don't care about having to pay double. These pops are slowly spoiling the fun that is my Panasonic 65S64. The TV should not be making that noise, and i find it totally unacceptable. I plan on owning this TV for 10+ years, and do i really want to hear these annoying pops everyday for the next 10 years? i don't...and sadly this problem has shown NO signs of slowing down, and i believe the problem is only getting worse.

This TV is a killer deal, but sadly in this instance...i'm getting what i paid for.

Return it. Popping and audible buzzing from a normal viewing distance with normal content is not acceptable and the signs of a defective set

While many here appear to be quite well-heeled and able to shell out thousands for a large-screen TV, I don't consider a $1500 set a low-end set when competitor sets like the LG 60" go for under $1000. I blew my budget of under $1000 for a TV by a whopping 50% because research showed the S60/S64 to be significantly higher picture quality than competitive Samsung or LG sets or even last years' 60U50 at $700. My 65S64 is the largest single purchase of anything I've made other than my cars or house and I also expect it to last 10 years and wouldn't put up with such defects on an expensive piece of equipment.
post #2436 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

For those of you who are experiencing loud plastic expansion popping on your TVs, it may very well just go away after some time. My old PX50U went through a severe popping phase for a few months then eventually stopped doing it and has been silent ever since. The same exact thing was happening on my small Toshiba LCD TV while i was watching it and continued for a while after shutting it off - and it eventually stopped doing it as well. I presume the plastic parts that were causing the problem finally got heat-cycled or worn-in or whatever and became quiet.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/848405/popping-panny

Hi, Randy. Thank you for the link(s).

Odd you should mention that. I ran my 65PS64 for 12 hours yesterday and don't recall any pops at all, so I think my S64 is improving in this aspect. I did the "loosen and snug" the bezel screws thing about a month ago and initially it made the pops softer though 3 each warmup and cooldown instead of 2. I have some magnet paper on the way to use as a back panel damper, but now it appears I may have to find another use for that.

It was admittedly probably a crazy thought for an experiment, anyway.

edit: I continue to believe that plasma trailing is reducing with time, too. Opinions seem to vary quite a bit on that as well. My panel has about 400 hours on it now, fwiw.

Quote:

Thanks Randy. this has crossed my mind, but it's a gamble especially because my return window is closing by the day and it seems my problem is getting worse.

i'm going to give it to the weekend to make a final decision. I appreciate you chiming in !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0
good point. Thanks Azamino.

Hi, Eddie. Sorry to hear your S64 is being bothersome. If the pops are not just happening during warmup and cool down, and if they are loud, I wonder if maybe it is the more severe cause that El Matadurr had - bad power board? If so, that doesn't appear to happen all that often and a swap should be a fix.

However, seeing as one other guy has swapped 3 times for buzz and it got worse each time, I'm hesitant to suggest swapping since popping OR buzz could get worse.

I don't remember: Did you do the bezel screw 'loosen then lightly snug' thing? It increased frequency during warmup and cool down from 2 to 3 each on my panel but made them much softer. I think maybe with the sound on, I'm frequently not hearing them now. OTOH, my damaged hearing could be hiding a world of sins.

It sounds like you've decided on upgrading and the panels you mentioned seem to be reported as pretty excellent stuff. However, please read up on the VT60. Some have been annoyed at noisy fans cycling frequently spoiling the experience. There appear to be some possible fixes for reducing that.

I think Moonchilde really likes his F8500, but I don't know if he is reading this thread still. I found him to be super helpful, so maybe you might want to pm him to ask if there are any noise issues (popping, fans, etc) or other regrets with the F8500.

After the bezel screw thing, my panel's popping has become so insignificant I doubt I'll be able to say if the magnet paper experiment does any good or not. In fact, if I continue to not hear it at all, I'd probably be well advised to hold off on that experiment. aka, the old saying: "..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.." wink.gif

I've appreciated your input in the S60 thread & here's hoping you find an excellent fit with whatever you swap to! smile.gif
Eddie Arkadian likes this.
post #2437 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock

+1
Dave,

While i don't know you from Adam, i find it hysterical you call your self a Video Perfectionist yet are +1ing a post complaining about me being irritated by a problem i'm experience with my TV.

Perfectionism, in psychology, is a personality trait characterized by a person's striving for flawlessness and setting excessively high performance standards.
rolleyes.gif I did say VIDEO Perfectionist. The buzzing/popping is not a video issue. rolleyes.gif

Let's move on to getting better pictures.smile.gif

Dave Hancock
post #2438 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can you guys explain the popping issue to me? I've been weighing purchasing either a 50" ST60 or a 65" S60, but this popping issue has me leaning towards the smaller ST60 now.
post #2439 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post

Can you guys explain the popping issue to me? I've been weighing purchasing either a 50" ST60 or a 65" S60, but this popping issue has me leaning towards the smaller ST60 now.

JayPSU,

It seems to me that it could be that it would be less likely or maybe softer in smaller panels. I haven't followed the ST60 thread in some time, but at least back then, it appeared to me that the ST may be less likely to have popping complaints than the S60/S64. Part of the reason could be a back panel with a different shape; curved around edges versus beveled. Less deep back panel on the ST. Different bezel design, too.

More details on the popping issue in general; my take:

In any large panel TV, especially a plasma where they probably run hotter than most LCD's, one has to expect that there will be a considerable amount of expansion and contraction. This by itself should be expected to cause some noises just like a house making creaks and clicks as it heats up and cools off.

However, some in here believe the difference in the expansion rate of the plastic bezel compared to the glass panel compared to the steel sheet metal back panel is what is mostly behind the popping. Whatever the cause, it sounds to me as though the thin steel sheet metal back panel is amplifying the sound.

To put it in context, my S64 panel's popping started at about 230 hours of usage. It was silent until then. Some say their S60 variants never pop. Had I not read about it in here and just heard it, I would have thought: "Well, that's probably amazingly well controlled expansion and contraction noises of such a giant panel (65") for it to be so soft."

Further context: My panel's popping is about one tenth as loud as normal house expansion and contraction creaks and clicks. It is about one fiftieth as loud as the hair raising CRACK! noises my Toshiba 36" CRT made.

Further context: I can't usually hear it unless the sound is turned off.

Some have reported some popping in larger ST60's. I haven't followed that thread in a long while, so I don't know where it went from then. However, it was my impression that popping complaints were fewer with the ST60 than with the S60 variants. If you follow Randy Walter's link and other links in that thread, it is apparent that this is not just isolated to S60 variants. There is considerable history of some expansion and contraction noises - in various makes and models. Especially larger ones. Power board is mentioned there, too, as a less frequent cause - but usually of louder noises.

I read in here that loosening and very lightly snugging the bezel screws could make the popping quieter. While my panel's noise was already soft, I tried it and it did make the sounds softer. 3 pops during warmup, 3 during cool down. However, now at 400 hours, it is becoming less frequent and softer still.

Popping varies. Appears some people don't get it at all. Appears it is loud on some panels and they are swapped out for it. More than one has been happy on the second try. One was extremely loud - "like a firecracker". That was El Matadurr's 60S60 with a suspected bad power board causing LOUD and frequent pops. Not just during warmup and cool down.

Bezel screws on my panel ranged from loose and 3 turns out to grossly overtightened. Others have said that if they got to screws that were scary tight, they stopped before damaging anything and maybe ruining their return privilege and/or warranty and just swapped it out. That is good advice versus cracking the panel or stripping screws, etc.

Anyway, going from wildly varying tightnesses on the screws to all lightly snug further reduced my panel's soft popping to where it is insignificant. And again, as Randy said, it is reducing with time, not getting worse.

That's my take. But again, popping can vary a lot, so expect opinions to vary, too.
post #2440 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

I found this post by Techniwizard in one of the threads Randy linked. I had been wondering about heating the panel with loose screws, then re-tightening to do some form of pre-stressing... not sure it is any silver bullet, just saying. fwiw:

"...The noises are likely the expansion/contraction noted above. The fix is to loosen all of the rear panel screws and then let the unit run for an hour or two to reach operating temperature. Then retighten the screws tight enough so they will not come loose but loose enough so they have some "give" for the expansion/contraction.

T Wiz"

Also noted in the threads Randy linked: It reduces over time for quite a few people, but not for all. Some see it reduce quite a bit in the month after it first presents. BTW, people were reporting the noise on LG, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony in the same thread - including some on LCD's.

mm
post #2441 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is something like that easy to do?
post #2442 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a former auto master mechanic and found some of the screws to be scary tight. One risk is: When loosening a phillips or cross point type screw, opposing force has to be held on the device. The tighter the screw, the more opposing force is necessary to avoid stripping the screw head. Too much opposing force spilling over from the bezel to the screen could possibly result in a cracked screen. I don't see this as terribly likely but I think it should be mentioned. Be careful. Any serious doubts? Don't do it.

I had to wrap a rag around my pro grade phillips screw driver to get enough traction on a couple and I'm kinda', well, big. 2 screws when they broke loose made a satisfying or scary (depending on your perspective) "CRACK" noise.

I don't think it is usually very difficult to break the screws loose, but I also think some people were smart when they aborted the process having found screws they believed to be dangerously tight.

If you don't come across severely overtight screws, I doubt it would be a very big deal.
post #2443 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Liked: 12
Costco has reduced the 65S64 by $100. If you bought it within 30 days, contact them, and they will price guarantee it. Sam's has also reduced the price but can't comfirm if they will do same.
post #2444 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Though those threads were old and hence had info about older models, some people mentioned a "felt kit" or a "pad kit" that could be installed by a Panny auth'd tech/repair guy. The 3 people who had those installed in the ecoustics thread said "problem solved". Maybe Panny includes those felts or pads in higher models now?

The main point: If this thing gets bothersome after my return period is up - and I doubt it will - there is probably some pad kit that could be installed by a TV tech under warranty.

Again, though, many people said the popping reduced a lot in the first month after it began. Just as Panny told them it would.
post #2445 of 7188 Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copster30 View Post

Costco has reduced the 65S64 by $100. If you bought it within 30 days, contact them, and they will price guarantee it. Sam's has also reduced the price but can't comfirm if they will do same.

Sam's will price match or match their own price drop within 7 calendar days of actual purchase. Even a day outside that, it can be a fight or it can be not so bad depending on the luck of the draw of the rep and supervisor you end up with. If it's very much past 7 days, I'd say the buyer is shiznit outta luck.

Because of how bloody that fight got with my S64, I'd go with CostCo instead of Sam's if I had it to do again. You'll get more for your ext warranty money that way, too.

Heck of a rain storm going on. Hoping it may help with the 13,000 acre East Peak wildfire that is nearby (7 miles away). Unfortunately, a lot of lightning with it, too. Link re fire: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3446/
post #2446 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by copster30 View Post

Would love the discount ....but it still shows 1299 on costco's website? (its been that proce for couple of weeks now !!)
post #2447 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 07:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4top455 View Post

Would love the discount ....but it still shows 1299 on costco's website? (its been that proce for couple of weeks now !!)

Ah. I thought it had just dropped in past few days.. I bought it for $1399 about 3 weeks ago.
post #2448 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 AM

tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

JayPSU,

It seems to me that it could be that it would be less likely or maybe softer in smaller panels. I haven't followed the ST60 thread in some time, but at least back then, it appeared to me that the ST may be less likely to have popping complaints than the S60/S64. Part of the reason could be a back panel with a different shape; curved around edges versus beveled. Less deep back panel on the ST. Different bezel design, too.

More details on the popping issue in general; my take:

In any large panel TV, especially a plasma where they probably run hotter than most LCD's, one has to expect that there will be a considerable amount of expansion and contraction. This by itself should be expected to cause some noises just like a house making creaks and clicks as it heats up and cools off.

However, some in here believe the difference in the expansion rate of the plastic bezel compared to the glass panel compared to the steel sheet metal back panel is what is mostly behind the popping. Whatever the cause, it sounds to me as though the thin steel sheet metal back panel is amplifying the sound.

To put it in context, my S64 panel's popping started at about 230 hours of usage. It was silent until then. Some say their S60 variants never pop. Had I not read about it in here and just heard it, I would have thought: "Well, that's probably amazingly well controlled expansion and contraction noises of such a giant panel (65") for it to be so soft."

Further context: My panel's popping is about one tenth as loud as normal house expansion and contraction creaks and clicks. It is about one fiftieth as loud as the hair raising CRACK! noises my Toshiba 36" CRT made.

Further context: I can't usually hear it unless the sound is turned off.

Some have reported some popping in larger ST60's. I haven't followed that thread in a long while, so I don't know where it went from then. However, it was my impression that popping complaints were fewer with the ST60 than with the S60 variants. If you follow Randy Walter's link and other links in that thread, it is apparent that this is not just isolated to S60 variants. There is considerable history of some expansion and contraction noises - in various makes and models. Especially larger ones. Power board is mentioned there, too, as a less frequent cause - but usually of louder noises.

I read in here that loosening and very lightly snugging the bezel screws could make the popping quieter. While my panel's noise was already soft, I tried it and it did make the sounds softer. 3 pops during warmup, 3 during cool down. However, now at 400 hours, it is becoming less frequent and softer still.

Popping varies. Appears some people don't get it at all. Appears it is loud on some panels and they are swapped out for it. More than one has been happy on the second try. One was extremely loud - "like a firecracker". That was El Matadurr's 60S60 with a suspected bad power board causing LOUD and frequent pops. Not just during warmup and cool down.

Bezel screws on my panel ranged from loose and 3 turns out to grossly overtightened. Others have said that if they got to screws that were scary tight, they stopped before damaging anything and maybe ruining their return privilege and/or warranty and just swapped it out. That is good advice versus cracking the panel or stripping screws, etc.

Anyway, going from wildly varying tightnesses on the screws to all lightly snug further reduced my panel's soft popping to where it is insignificant. And again, as Randy said, it is reducing with time, not getting worse.

That's my take. But again, popping can vary a lot, so expect opinions to vary, too.

So the pops you guys are hearing are from the housing expanding and contracting? They are not electrical pops? I'm used to the former with my Sony XBR970 tube tv....it pops every once in awhile due to expanding or due to just settling. If it's electrical I'm not messing with this unit.
post #2449 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:

tongue.gif
So the pops you guys are hearing are from the housing expanding and contracting? They are not electrical pops? I'm used to the former with my Sony XBR970 tube tv....it pops every once in awhile due to expanding or due to just settling. If it's electrical I'm not messing with this unit.

Im pretty sure my pops are from the housing/bezel expanding.
post #2450 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

rolleyes.gif I did say VIDEO Perfectionist. The buzzing/popping is not a video issue. rolleyes.gif

Let's move on to getting better pictures.smile.gif

Perfect

smile.gif
post #2451 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Hi, Randy. Thank you for the link(s).

Odd you should mention that. I ran my 65PS64 for 12 hours yesterday and don't recall any pops at all, so I think my S64 is improving in this aspect. I did the "loosen and snug" the bezel screws thing about a month ago and initially it made the pops softer though 3 each warmup and cooldown instead of 2. I have some magnet paper on the way to use as a back panel damper, but now it appears I may have to find another use for that.

It was admittedly probably a crazy thought for an experiment, anyway.

edit: I continue to believe that plasma trailing is reducing with time, too. Opinions seem to vary quite a bit on that as well. My panel has about 400 hours on it now, fwiw.
Hi, Eddie. Sorry to hear your S64 is being bothersome. If the pops are not just happening during warmup and cool down, and if they are loud, I wonder if maybe it is the more severe cause that El Matadurr had - bad power board? If so, that doesn't appear to happen all that often and a swap should be a fix.

However, seeing as one other guy has swapped 3 times for buzz and it got worse each time, I'm hesitant to suggest swapping since popping OR buzz could get worse.

I don't remember: Did you do the bezel screw 'loosen then lightly snug' thing? It increased frequency during warmup and cool down from 2 to 3 each on my panel but made them much softer. I think maybe with the sound on, I'm frequently not hearing them now. OTOH, my damaged hearing could be hiding a world of sins.

It sounds like you've decided on upgrading and the panels you mentioned seem to be reported as pretty excellent stuff. However, please read up on the VT60. Some have been annoyed at noisy fans cycling frequently spoiling the experience. There appear to be some possible fixes for reducing that.

I think Moonchilde really likes his F8500, but I don't know if he is reading this thread still. I found him to be super helpful, so maybe you might want to pm him to ask if there are any noise issues (popping, fans, etc) or other regrets with the F8500.

After the bezel screw thing, my panel's popping has become so insignificant I doubt I'll be able to say if the magnet paper experiment does any good or not. In fact, if I continue to not hear it at all, I'd probably be well advised to hold off on that experiment. aka, the old saying: "..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.." wink.gif

I've appreciated your input in the S60 thread & here's hoping you find an excellent fit with whatever you swap to! smile.gif

I don't think it's the board. It's the bezel sounding pops. I did the bezel trick. I thought it reduced the cracking for a day or two...but then the pops were back to normal or abnormal for that matter.

I've read up on the VT 60. I'm aware of the fan noise...thanks for the heads up. I don't think the fan will bother me that much, but MAN am i excited to get that picture in my home. I was considering the 8500 but i love how natural the Panasonic Plasmas look. I honestly believe their are the best pictures you can get. Even my S64 i was watching O Brother Where Art Thou last night and i was floored by the quaility and reproduction of that film's unique color and lighting...the best i've seen.

Thanks for all your feeback and assitance in this thread. You've been a BRO.
MountainMichael likes this.
post #2452 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

My S30 will pop maybe a few times every hour, yet i couldn't care less. When i watch movies 90% of the time I'm always using a pair of Sennheiser HD595's or a close pair of cans for gaming.

If anything, i'm just curious about how much better the S60's blacks are compared to the S30's and if the S60 suffers from white clipping in Custom mode?
I'm not interested in using cinema for anything.

I haven't seen an S30, so I can't help with that part. Bump for someone who has?

Regarding the rest, if there is white clipping with fairchild99's excellent shared settings, I can't see it. Blacks are amazing, but again, I've no time with an S30 to compare.

I think I personally like fairchild99's settings in Cinema maybe a little better than his settings in Custom. It's a close thing, though.

Flawed memory makes me think this may have been addressed earlier in the thread. Still: Any S60 or 64 owners out there who are also current or former S30 owners?
Quote:

tongue.gif

Reasonably certain it is exactly what you heard with your Sony - and not electrical; at least not in my panel. Appears it can be though that is looking rare. El Matadurr had a 60S60 with very loud popping (like firecrackers) and often. That was believed to be a bad power board. I don't recall reading of another one being electrical in this thread, but I may have missed it or misunderstood.

Quote:

Im pretty sure my pops are from the housing/bezel expanding.

I agree; it is expansion & contraction, not electrical. Possibly adding to the mix of differing expansion rates: The other linked threads said that, at least in older panels, the glass panel itself may be framed or mounted on aluminum internally where we can't see it from the outside. It was believed that the "felt kit" or "pad kit" or whatever Panny auth'd techs were installing was actually interfaced with that aluminum thereby stopping the noises back then. Obviously, aluminum expands and contracts a lot with heat differential - and at VERY different rates from a plastic bezel, a glass panel and a steel sheet metal back panel, so it could be central to the popping noise.

Quote:

I don't think it's the board. It's the bezel sounding pops. I did the bezel trick. I thought it reduced the cracking for a day or two...but then the pops were back to normal or abnormal for that matter.

I've read up on the VT 60. I'm aware of the fan noise...thanks for the heads up. I don't think the fan will bother me that much, but MAN am i excited to get that picture in my home. I was considering the 8500 but i love how natural the Panasonic Plasmas look. I honestly believe their are the best pictures you can get. Even my S64 i was watching O Brother Where Art Thou last night and i was floored by the quality and reproduction of that film's unique color and lighting...the best i've seen.

Thanks for all your feedback and assistance in this thread. You've been a BRO.

YW. I hope you'll post back with your impressions after you get to know your VT60! Best of luck that it arrives pristine and is a good fit for ya'!
post #2453 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 04:54 PM

We bought a 65S64 from Costco a week ago yesterday. We replaced a Panasonic 54G25 that was bought in July 2010, it died on Mothers Day. A local repair shop has had it since the following day, the estimate for the repairs was $800 but the part has been on back order and they still can't tell me when the part will be available. We were very hesitant about buying another Panasonic TV since the 54G25 didn't even last 3 years and the parts not available. The 5 year warranty for $99 was the deciding factor, the 65S64 with a 5 year warranty was less than the 54G25 was 3 yeas ago. The G25 did have a small amount of bezel popping, so far the S64 hasn't had any. The only way to hear buzzing on either set is to put your head behind the panel. The S64 has a better picture and does not have the floating blacks issue that the G25 had. So far we are happy with the S64 even though the G25 should have lasted more than 3 years.
post #2454 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I decided to try some noise attenuation experiments beginning with focus on popping. Not because it was loud, but more because I'm a chronic/compulsive tinkerer.

It got lengthy, so rather than clutter up the S60 thread with it, I started an "S60/64 DIY Noise Attenuation Thread - experiments illustrated" over here. Please feel free to drop by & follow along if you're interested.

Thank you,

mm

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1479356/2013-panasonic-s60-s64-diy-noise-reduction-experiments-illustrated
Cravit8 likes this.
post #2455 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEB60 View Post

We bought a 65S64 from Costco a week ago yesterday. We replaced a Panasonic 54G25 that was bought in July 2010, it died on Mothers Day. A local repair shop has had it since the following day, the estimate for the repairs was $800 but the part has been on back order and they still can't tell me when the part will be available. We were very hesitant about buying another Panasonic TV since the 54G25 didn't even last 3 years and the parts not available. The 5 year warranty for $99 was the deciding factor, the 65S64 with a 5 year warranty was less than the 54G25 was 3 yeas ago. The G25 did have a small amount of bezel popping, so far the S64 hasn't had any. The only way to hear buzzing on either set is to put your head behind the panel. The S64 has a better picture and does not have the floating blacks issue that the G25 had. So far we are happy with the S64 even though the G25 should have lasted more than 3 years.
If it's only one or more of the boards that need replacing on your G25, you could order the part(s) and do the fix yourself for fairly cheap. Replacing boards is very straightforward.

post #2456 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wanted to chime and say that I grabbed the 42S60 a week or so ago and almost immediately noticed the insane amount of popping that came from the set.

I put up with it for a few days, but I eventually just sucked it up and exchanged it for an identical set. Little to no popping now. Guess it depends on the set.

If you have a bad one, it can be really, really annoying. I can attest!
post #2457 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edouble View Post

Wanted to chime and say that I grabbed the 42S60 a week or so ago and almost immediately noticed the insane amount of popping that came from the set.

I put up with it for a few days, but I eventually just sucked it up and exchanged it for an identical set. Little to no popping now. Guess it depends on the set.

If you have a bad one, it can be really, really annoying. I can attest!

Glad to hear you got a better one. Swapping can be a good solution.

My main concerns would be: I have a 65PS64 and can hear zero buzzing. If I swap it because it has little to no popping now to another S64, will I get more buzz or popping? One big drawback of a 65" is it can be a bear to swap. Getting my 55ST60 returned from a very rural location was like pulling teeth and took 10 days of hassles and broken promises.

Initial results on my simple/cheap fix are promising: Dead silent so far - even during warmup - formerly the noisiest period. Fingers crossed. The value may be: If a person has a "low buzz" panel they really don't want to risk swapping, this might offer an alternative.

Maybe it could take panels with little popping down to zero popping? That is what I'm attempting. I can dream. biggrin.gif
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #2458 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Are we done with the popping and buzzing talk yet. I thought there was another thread set up for that.
post #2459 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

Are we done with the popping and buzzing talk yet. I thought there was another thread set up for that.

No. There will be more. Appears to me that the 2 main recurring complaints with this panel are:

1.) buzz
2.) popping

I don't personally see either of those as occurring serious enough often enough to condemn the model line. To the contrary, I freakin' love my S64.

However, those 2 things may affect people's buying decisions, so I think they should continue to be discussed here.

Much of my input on popping will be in the other thread at least for awhile as I'm pursuing a possible easy fix. That is what the other thread is focused on - "the fix".

Expect updates from "the fix" thread here, for sure. Especially if any breakthroughs prove out.

And who knows? Someone who can actually HEAR the buzz frequency may become motivated to look for a quick/easy fix for reducing that! It's the discussion in here that made me begin researching & experimenting with possible popping fix(es)...wink.gif
Charlie Kocis likes this.
post #2460 of 7188 Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 PM

Liked: 13
I can't see to find where it's listed in this thread: diameter / length / thread size for the 65s64 back panel for mounting?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread - P42s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page