Official Panasonic S60 Series Discussion Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2701 of 7070 Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
davehancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY (near Buffalo)
Posts: 5,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

Have they discontinued the 55" model?
Not according to their website:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55S60

Dave Hancock
davehancock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2702 of 7070 Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Member
 
mlupia92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitofrog View Post

You can watch movies directly from your portable hard drive providing that it has its own power supply. The usb on the TV only provides up to 500 mA. This is not enough juice to spin up your portable hard drive. I use one of those hard drive docking station (with its own power adapter) that can either hold either a 2.5 or 3.5 in hard disk. It work well with the TV. Also note that the media player on the TV only supports a few file formats such as mkv and mp4. You can refer to the TV user manual for the file formats. I use the WDTV box since it supports lots of file formats.


@hitfrog Thanks, appreciate that. I did pick one up today and got a sweet deal on an "Open Box". Only paid $359.99 for mine. It said it was missing all the accessories, but I found everything for the tv. It had a scuff along the left side, but its not something you can see.
mlupia92 is offline  
post #2703 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Does your cable or satellite box output a fixed or variable resolution based on content? I have mine set to fixed 1080i, and using just fill it fills the whole screen just fine.

My cable box only has a fixed resolution output, so I've had it set to 1080i. I also went through all the 4:3 options from None, 480p, 480i, and Stretch, and none made a difference as far as filling the screen. The only options on the S64 that filled the screen without side bars are H-FILLl, Sidecut just, and Sidecut zoom. Sidecut zoom works best as it doesn't distort the image, but sometimes cuts off captioning at the bottom. At least it will allow me to watch Big Brother without side bars causing IR. Otherwise I switch back to JUST for all other programming. The picture quality is actually quite good - it's as if they are broadcasting 4:3 with bars in HD. confused.gif
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #2704 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTimeShifter View Post

My cable box only has a fixed resolution output, so I've had it set to 1080i. I also went through all the 4:3 options from None, 480p, 480i, and Stretch, and none made a difference as far as filling the screen. The only options on the S64 that filled the screen without side bars are H-FILLl, Sidecut just, and Sidecut zoom. Sidecut zoom works best as it doesn't distort the image, but sometimes cuts off captioning at the bottom. At least it will allow me to watch Big Brother without side bars causing IR. Otherwise I switch back to JUST for all other programming. The picture quality is actually quite good - it's as if they are broadcasting 4:3 with bars in HD. confused.gif

I really don't understand the point of those 4:3 options. Why would I want to justify a 4:3 images even skinnier than it is on a 16:9 tv?

They are just weird. If anyone has some insight to why they exist then please do tell!
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2705 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTimeShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

I really don't understand the point of those 4:3 options. Why would I want to justify a 4:3 images even skinnier than it is on a 16:9 tv?

They are just weird. If anyone has some insight to why they exist then please do tell!

Well most are to expand the image to fit 16:9, but I don't understand why there isn't a default non-justify setting to just view the image as is (that is NO DISTORTION introduced at all) - if it's 16:9, then leave it alone, and if it's 4:3, put side bars. I can understand an SD 4:3 broadcast of a 16:9 film that would have top and bottom bars as well as side bars and you want to expand in all directions to fill a 16:9 screen perfectly, but otherwise you'll either be chopping off part of the picture or introducing distortion making everything wider or narrower than reality. My old Sony 16:9 34" CRT had this justification setting that did exactly that (it would expand it to fill the screen, but only if it wasn't 16:9 already).
HDTimeShifter is offline  
post #2706 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Newbie
 
Shon528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, lurked on here for the past few weeks and ended up picking up a 50" S64 from Costco for $629 +tax and also had to renew my membership which had lapsed. I've been trying to read through this thread and am only up to pg22 so far, still reading. Anyway, do I understand correctly that before using the calibration settings on the 1st page, I should let the tv burn-in (is that the right term?) for about 100hrs? Out the box, it was dark and grainy. The only adjustments I made were turning the CATS feature off, it instantly brightened up, and also changed the color temp to warm2. I'm a Best Buy reward silver member but I've read that the settings here are as good or better than having them come out. Looking forward to getting the best picture possible. The room it is in has 3 sliding patio doors but no direct sunlight, hence why I went w/ the S64.
Shon528 is offline  
post #2707 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Member
 
silverwidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528 View Post

Hi, lurked on here for the past few weeks and ended up picking up a 50" S64 from Costco for $629 +tax and also had to renew my membership which had lapsed. I've been trying to read through this thread and am only up to pg22 so far, still reading. Anyway, do I understand correctly that before using the calibration settings on the 1st page, I should let the tv burn-in (is that the right term?) for about 100hrs? Out the box, it was dark and grainy. The only adjustments I made were turning the CATS feature off, it instantly brightened up, and also changed the color temp to warm2. I'm a Best Buy reward silver member but I've read that the settings here are as good or better than having them come out. Looking forward to getting the best picture possible. The room it is in has 3 sliding patio doors but no direct sunlight, hence why I went w/ the S64.

I wasn't keeping track of the hours, but I plugged in fairchild99's calibration settings (check his signature) after about 3 weeks of use. It looks fantastic now.
silverwidow is offline  
post #2708 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Level99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Something is wrong with my 42S60 frown.gif. It was working fine all day when suddenly the picture went blank and the red led started to blink three times in a row over and over again. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine again for about five minutes then the same thing happened again. I have it unplugged right now to let it cool down before I try again. Interestingly, both times this happened my computer monitor also flashed off then on like it was some kind of power surge or something. Does anyone know what three blinks of the led means?
Level99 is offline  
post #2709 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level99 View Post

Something is wrong with my 42S60 frown.gif. It was working fine all day when suddenly the picture went blank and the red led started to blink three times in a row over and over again. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine again for about five minutes then the same thing happened again. I have it unplugged right now to let it cool down before I try again. Interestingly, both times this happened my computer monitor also flashed off then on like it was some kind of power surge or something. Does anyone know what three blinks of the led means?

Based on a 2011 model.


=================================================================================
BLINKS PROBLEM CHECK POINT
=================================================================================

1 blink Panel Info SOS * No Info Given *
LP1 Start SOS

3 blinks P+ 3.3v SOS A-Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Main-Board / P Sub-Board
P-Board / P2-Board

5 blinks P+ 5v SOS A-Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SC-Board / A-SC FPC
SC Energy Recovery Circuit
A-SC FPC DET

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU-Board / SD-Board
SU/SD Connector DET
SU/SD Scan and Logic IC

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS-Board / SS2-Board / SS FPC / SS2 FPC
SS FPC Detect
SS Energy Recovery Circuit

9 blinks Discharge Control SOS A-Board

10 blinks Sub 5V SOS / Sub 3.3v SOS A-Board / SC-Board / SS-Board / P Main-Board / P Sub-Board
Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS A-Board / Fan

12 blinks Sound SOS A-Board / Speaker / Woofer

13 blinks Emergency SOS A-Board

14 blinks IR LED SOS A-Board



BOARDS DESCRIPTION:

P MAIN Board = Power Supply (VT30 Models) - Non-serviceable. Must be replaced for service.
P SUB Board = Power Supply (VT30 Models) - Non-serviceable. Must be replaced for service.

P Board = Power Supply (All Other Models)
P2 Board = Power Supply (All Other Models)
A Board = Main AV Input / Processing
K Board = Remote Receiver / Power LED / C.A.T.S. Sensor
S Board = Power Switch
V Board = 3D Eyewear Transmitter
C1 Board = Data Driver (Lower Right)
C2 Board = Data Driver (Lower Center)
C3 Board = Data Driver (Lower Left)
SC Board = Scan Drive
SS Board = Sustain Drive
SS2 Board = Sustain Out (Lower)
SU Board = Scan Out (Upper) - Non serviceable. Must be replaced for service.
SD Board = Scan Out (Lower) - Non serviceable. Must be replaced for service.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2710 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Level99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

Based on a 2011 model.


=================================================================================
BLINKS PROBLEM CHECK POINT
=================================================================================

1 blink Panel Info SOS * No Info Given *
LP1 Start SOS

3 blinks P+ 3.3v SOS A-Board

4 blinks Power SOS P Main-Board / P Sub-Board
P-Board / P2-Board

5 blinks P+ 5v SOS A-Board

6 blinks Driver SOS 1 SC-Board / A-SC FPC
SC Energy Recovery Circuit
A-SC FPC DET

7 blinks Driver SOS 2 SU-Board / SD-Board
SU/SD Connector DET
SU/SD Scan and Logic IC

8 blinks Driver SOS 3 SS-Board / SS2-Board / SS FPC / SS2 FPC
SS FPC Detect
SS Energy Recovery Circuit

9 blinks Discharge Control SOS A-Board

10 blinks Sub 5V SOS / Sub 3.3v SOS A-Board / SC-Board / SS-Board / P Main-Board / P Sub-Board
Tuner Power SOS

11 blinks Fan SOS A-Board / Fan

12 blinks Sound SOS A-Board / Speaker / Woofer

13 blinks Emergency SOS A-Board

14 blinks IR LED SOS A-Board



BOARDS DESCRIPTION:

P MAIN Board = Power Supply (VT30 Models) - Non-serviceable. Must be replaced for service.
P SUB Board = Power Supply (VT30 Models) - Non-serviceable. Must be replaced for service.

P Board = Power Supply (All Other Models)
P2 Board = Power Supply (All Other Models)
A Board = Main AV Input / Processing
K Board = Remote Receiver / Power LED / C.A.T.S. Sensor
S Board = Power Switch
V Board = 3D Eyewear Transmitter
C1 Board = Data Driver (Lower Right)
C2 Board = Data Driver (Lower Center)
C3 Board = Data Driver (Lower Left)
SC Board = Scan Drive
SS Board = Sustain Drive
SS2 Board = Sustain Out (Lower)
SU Board = Scan Out (Upper) - Non serviceable. Must be replaced for service.
SD Board = Scan Out (Lower) - Non serviceable. Must be replaced for service.

Thanks! Looks like my problem is the A Board if the blink codes are the same as the 2011 models which would be the Main AV Input / Processing. My PC is currently hooked up to the first HDMI input, that could explain why my monitor also blinks when the tv does this. I will try disconnecting the PC and see what happens.
Level99 is offline  
post #2711 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Member
 
Level99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Damn! I disconnected the pc and plugged the tv back in. It worked for a minute then the same thing happened. The list shows three blinks as P+ 3.3v SOS A-Board. So I guess that means power supply and A-Board? Man this sucks! I guess I need to either bring it back to the store or call Panasonic. Does anyone know what Sears return policy is on tvs? I'm not sure if it is 30 or 90 days.
Level99 is offline  
post #2712 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IDRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eastern Idaho
Posts: 1,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Looks like the Sears return policy is 30 days: http://www.sears.com/csreturnspolicy/nb-120000000359321
IDRick is offline  
post #2713 of 7070 Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Member
 
Level99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick View Post

Looks like the Sears return policy is 30 days: http://www.sears.com/csreturnspolicy/nb-120000000359321

Thanks! I guess that means its time to call Panasonic then. I'm so bummed frown.gif
Level99 is offline  
post #2714 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Level99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I called Panasonic today and because It is a 42 inch, I have to haul it over to a repair shop. They gave me the phone number to the shop and of course they are closed on the weekend. Just my luck. I should have bought the extended warranty from Sears. I wish I could just return it but I am past the return window. I just hope when they fix it that it will last.
Level99 is offline  
post #2715 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Newbie
 
headshot95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have been looking at Panasonic TC-50PS64 as my next TV, which I could possibly buy in a month or so. I was just wondering if any of you that own this TV or the S60 play a lot of video games on them and how they perform. I know that burn in isn't as big of an issue as it used to be but since so many video games have static images, I'm nervous that it could be a big issue. For example, I play a lot of MLB the Show and that has the score bug in the upper left corner and has a light black border around the picture (at least on my current TV.) So have any of you had an issue with burn in at all? Are there any specific things you can do to limit the possibility of burn in?
headshot95 is offline  
post #2716 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Disgustipated!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot95 View Post

Hey guys, I have been looking at Panasonic TC-50PS64 as my next TV, which I could possibly buy in a month or so. I was just wondering if any of you that own this TV or the S60 play a lot of video games on them and how they perform. I know that burn in isn't as big of an issue as it used to be but since so many video games have static images, I'm nervous that it could be a big issue. For example, I play a lot of MLB the Show and that has the score bug in the upper left corner and has a light black border around the picture (at least on my current TV.) So have any of you had an issue with burn in at all? Are there any specific things you can do to limit the possibility of burn in?

I have played tons of games (PS3/360/PC) of all genres (racing/shooters/3rd person adventure/etc) and had NO problems with burn-in whatsoever on my 42" S60 or 50" S64. Works brilliantly, image retention is not an issue.

What I did was run color slides every day all day/night for the first week or two (100-120+ hours), and also calibrated it using fairchild's settings. In between the color slides for a couple hours a day, I'll play games, watch HD movies/shows I've downloaded, etc. This gives it a wide variety of content to age the panel with, and also allows me to enjoy it without worrying about image retention.

This technique has worked fine for me thus far, and image quality is gorgeous while image retention is nonexistent. This is the procedure I'd recommend to a gamer. The TV works great BTW, input lag is imperceptible, even on very fast paced shooters.
Disgustipated! is offline  
post #2717 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryZ06's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pembroke Pines,Florida
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So far I have had my 65S60 for a week and a half and have 107 hours on it so far.I have been running slides to help break in the tv.I don't have any of the problems that some people have experienced.I have not heard any popping sounds at all and the tv is dead slient....no audible buzzing.I am very happy with the set....To me the picture is pretty damn nice(Fairchild's setttings... Thanks)...Not as nice as my calibrated 60 inch Kuro but very good especially for the money.I have this set in my bedroom and only look at it late at night so reflections are not a problem.
GaryZ06 is offline  
post #2718 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Newbie
 
headshot95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustipated! View Post

I have played tons of games (PS3/360/PC) of all genres (racing/shooters/3rd person adventure/etc) and had NO problems with burn-in whatsoever on my 42" S60 or 50" S64. Works brilliantly, image retention is not an issue.

What I did was run color slides every day all day/night for the first week or two (100-120+ hours), and also calibrated it using fairchild's settings. In between the color slides for a couple hours a day, I'll play games, watch HD movies/shows I've downloaded, etc. This gives it a wide variety of content to age the panel with, and also allows me to enjoy it without worrying about image retention.

This technique has worked fine for me thus far, and image quality is gorgeous while image retention is nonexistent. This is the procedure I'd recommend to a gamer. The TV works great BTW, input lag is imperceptible, even on very fast paced shooters.

Sweet, thanks for this response, it's basically what I wanted to hear haha. How do you go about using the slides? I've seen a couple people mention it here but I haven't read much into it since I didn't fully understand it.
headshot95 is offline  
post #2719 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Member
 
xx2000xx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm about 24 hours in the break-in period. What fairchild settings are you guys liking, the custom or cinema?
xx2000xx is offline  
post #2720 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshot95 View Post

Sweet, thanks for this response, it's basically what I wanted to hear haha. How do you go about using the slides? I've seen a couple people mention it here but I haven't read much into it since I didn't fully understand it.

You just put a set of images on a usb key and stick the key into the tv. You set it to do a slide show of those images with a 5 second timer and no transitions. Then just set it to loop rather than end and you're good. It'll just play them until you stop them.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2721 of 7070 Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Member
 
silverwidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx2000xx View Post

I'm about 24 hours in the break-in period. What fairchild settings are you guys liking, the custom or cinema?

Both of them are great. I find the color to be a little more vibrant on Custom so I'm using that one for now. But it can really go either way.
silverwidow is offline  
post #2722 of 7070 Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Member
 
DoomBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When Breaking in the tv do you just put it on normal setting? Or is there such thing as normal?
I don't have one yet but plan on picking up a 50" and want to do this the right way.

Thanks guys
DoomBot is offline  
post #2723 of 7070 Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Member
 
silverwidow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

When Breaking in the tv do you just put it on normal setting? Or is there such thing as normal?
I don't have one yet but plan on picking up a 50" and want to do this the right way.

Thanks guys

If you don't want to calibrate it right away, just use the Cinema setting. That is the most accurate out of the box. I would highly recommend plugging in fairchild99's settings (in his signature) after you break it in.
silverwidow is offline  
post #2724 of 7070 Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Member
 
DoomBot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, that's the info i wanted. Yes i plan on using fairchild99's settings.

Thanks again
DoomBot is offline  
post #2725 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Newbie
 
jigs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could use a bit of advice to help decide if I'm just unlucky or if this model is just not for me.

I'm now on my second 50" S64. Both have had a plasma buzz/hum that is audible at a normal viewing distance (10'). You can clearly hear it with the sound off, and it is loud enough to be noticeable at low volume, during dialogue, quiet parts of a movie, etc.

Have I just had bad luck on both sets, or is this normal for this model? I may just be bothered by these sorts of noises more than most people. Should I really expect that if I go through the return process again that I will end up with a set that is noticeably quieter? I love the set other than the hum, so I hate to give up on it without good reason.
jigs2 is offline  
post #2726 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs2 View Post

I could use a bit of advice to help decide if I'm just unlucky or if this model is just not for me.

I'm now on my second 50" S64. Both have had a plasma buzz/hum that is audible at a normal viewing distance (10'). You can clearly hear it with the sound off, and it is loud enough to be noticeable at low volume, during dialogue, quiet parts of a movie, etc.

Have I just had bad luck on both sets, or is this normal for this model? I may just be bothered by these sorts of noises more than most people. Should I really expect that if I go through the return process again that I will end up with a set that is noticeably quieter? I love the set other than the hum, so I hate to give up on it without good reason.

I cannot personally hear the hum of my set from my 7' viewing distance, even with the sound muted. That said, my ears are mildly blocked all the time so noises like that don't always make it through. When I pop my ears and I have temporary better hearing I can just barely make it out. Do you have particularly good hearing?

A buddy of mine has ridiculously good hearing and can hear an lcd monitor turned on across the room, something I can't hear even right next to the thing. Power lines also drive him mad, as they emit a high pitched buzz also.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2727 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Member
 
Charlie Kocis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK so I have a dilemma. I'm close to selling my Samsung 65F6300 lcd because I'm just not liking the overly bright look of it. I previously had a 2007 Samsung DLP and preferred the more "film-like, organic" look of that as opposed to the more "digital" look of an lcd. I was planning on replacing the 65F6300 with a 65S60. Yesterday a friend called and is looking to sell a 2011 73" Mitsubishi DLP (73840) for just $500. It belonged to a family member who died recently and just wants to get rid of it. I know DLPs have plenty of their own issues like replacing lamps, bad color wheels and possible geometry/overscan. I still have to check it out in person but if it checks out OK then it could be a tremendous deal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Charlie Kocis is online now  
post #2728 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Newbie
 
jigs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

I cannot personally hear the hum of my set from my 7' viewing distance, even with the sound muted. That said, my ears are mildly blocked all the time so noises like that don't always make it through. When I pop my ears and I have temporary better hearing I can just barely make it out. Do you have particularly good hearing?

A buddy of mine has ridiculously good hearing and can hear an lcd monitor turned on across the room, something I can't hear even right next to the thing. Power lines also drive him mad, as they emit a high pitched buzz also.

Thanks for the response. I have decent hearing, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It's not just me though. My wife hears it too (and was the one who declared that there was no way we were keeping the original set). So, we were both pretty disappointed to plug in the second one and hear the same noise level. So, I know this one is going back too - I'm just not sure if what I'm hearing is common enough that I should just give up and choose a different model.
jigs2 is offline  
post #2729 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
xenon9887's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs2 View Post

Thanks for the response. I have decent hearing, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It's not just me though. My wife hears it too (and was the one who declared that there was no way we were keeping the original set). So, we were both pretty disappointed to plug in the second one and hear the same noise level. So, I know this one is going back too - I'm just not sure if what I'm hearing is common enough that I should just give up and choose a different model.

If possible I would try another location. It is possible that their whole supply has the same defect and going somewhere else, even the same store might allow you to get lucky. I'd have to hear the tv in person to give my opinion of the noise of course so I can't really comment on that.
xenon9887 is offline  
post #2730 of 7070 Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Newbie
 
jigs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon9887 View Post

If possible I would try another location. It is possible that their whole supply has the same defect and going somewhere else, even the same store might allow you to get lucky. I'd have to hear the tv in person to give my opinion of the noise of course so I can't really comment on that.

I'll likely drive across town to another Costco if I try to get a third set. Recognizing that hearing my TV is person isn't possible maybe I should rephrase the question in a way that is easier to test...

For S64 owners - when you turn on your TV with the volume off and sit a normal viewing distance (e.g. 10') do you hear:
A. Sweet silence
B. Electrical buzz/hum that ideally wouldn't be there but you live with it since the set is otherwise worth it
C. Some faint noise but nothing of note
jigs2 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off