AVS Forum banner

Taking my US HDTV to the UK

392 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ccoleary 
#1 ·
I am considering replacing my current HDTV, but am doing so knowing that I may be moving to the UK in the foreseeable future. Knowing that a TV I buy here will be based on the NTSC standard and the UK uses the PAL standard, any TV I buy here and bring with me will need to be equipped with a signal converter. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with this type of signal conversion, and specifically how it affects picture resolution/quality. I am also aware of the line voltage consideration and have posted on that separately.

I am thinking that it may make sense to simply wait until I relocate and buy a new HDTV there, but they are so much more expensive. For example, the PN60E550, which sells for about $1300 here in the US sells for over $1,800 in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I would ask this in the UK-based AVForum instead as they probably have more experience with getting USA-spec TVs to work in their country.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/

But i can't remember ever seeing anyone being successful doing this, and consider that a TV bought in the USA will have no factory warranty when used outside of the USA. The tuner won't work, and there's the possibility that the TV will get broken during shipping. UK's power grid is 50hz but US-spec TVs typically require 60hz which is what kept my friend from using his US Sony LCD when he got deployed to Germany despite using a 220v-110v converter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.