post #31 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by playadel2001 View Post

Got mine (50ST60) last week direct from Panasonic. Replacing a 50" Samsung DLP set (which I loved, but was starting to get the "white dot" problem and probably needs a bulb soon).

Compared to the DLP, the default color tones are pretty bad, everything has a greenish tint on the Standard mode. After calibrating it in Custom I'm a lot happier but still need some adjustment. The picture is a LOT sharper than the soft detail of the DLP, that takes some getting used to. I'm playing around with the motion smoothing, I prefer to keep the picture as close as possible to the source.

The picture is fairly dim and looks better in a darker environment, but it is neither too washed out nor too reflective in brighter light, it's still acceptable.

The DLNA feature is nice, but I miss the PS3's ability to search a video to a specific minute and start playback anywhere. But it does play MKV videos which the PS3 doesn't (ahoy maties, if you know what I mean, wink wink nod nod).

Can't comment on sound since I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V473 receiver. I am having an odd problem in case anyone has suggestions: everytime I turn on the receiver and TV I can't get any sound out of the receiver at all until I turn it up to very high volume, but if I turn the receiver off and on again the volume goes back to normal. It doesn't happen if I just use the receiver by itself (with Airplay, etc.) so I'm assuming the problem is related to HDMI CEC/ARC between the TV and receiver.

Overall I am happy with the purchase. LCDs are BRIGHT but other than that I think Plasmas offer a better, more natural picture.

Try unplugging the receiver from the wall for a few minutes. If that doesn't work try unplugging the tv's hdmi from the receiver, unplug receiver from wall, wait a minute or two, plug in receiver, then plug in hdmi.
Just in case: hdmi 2 on tv is arc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Still waiting 24p/96hz ?

Yes. It has 24p and the option to select 96, 60 or 48hz in the advanced menu.
post #33 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I'd also be interested to hear whether it has a true CMS (brightness, saturation, hue adjustments) for primaries (R, G, B) and secondaries (cyan, magenta, yellow). Last year's ST50 definitely did not have this feature, at least not on sets sold in NA.

It does have adjustments for R, G, B ( brightness, saturation, and hue for each ). It also has W/B adjustment for high R, G, B and low R, G, B. Not sure what that is. Also has gain for R, G, B. All of this is within the "pro" menu. I think I'll wait for the experts on this forum before I attempt to tweak those. I've had a change to watch a few hours of basketball with this set, and I'm still impressed; for the money. I will be curious to see how the "z" models compare.
post #34 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sweet 96hz , this has been a luxury option since 2009... I am investing my money in the vt60 though ... I think I am going to take a break updating my tv every year
post #35 of 44 Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Fellas, there is an existing Official ST60 series thread that no owners are posting in, it's better to post there instead of this shipping thread so the owner discussions don't get split between the two threads.

Link to Official Thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread#post_23101771

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #36 of 44 Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Still waiting 24p/96hz ?
yes
post #37 of 44 Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 11
I just got my 55ST60 last night. I got one of the first ones in Canada because it was a replacement for my 50ST50 that I bought on boxing day a few weeks ago. The ST50 failed after 4 weeks and Panasonic refused to replace at first making me go through two failed repair attempts that took over 4 weeks to implement due to waiting for parts.

I love the picture on the new set. I think it is if anything slightly better than the ST50 but it has been so long since I was able to watch the ST50 that it is hard to compare. It seems to me that it has more picture adjustment options and includes pro settings adjustments which I do not remember being on the ST50. I think it does a better job with my 1080i cable box signal than my other set. It also has a much enhanced set of apps that make it quite useful as a media player and DLNA network player. I was able in a few minutes to hook up to my LAN and access media of all types in a wide variety of formats on my network hard drive. As long as your network hard drive has some kind of DLNA server program built in you will not need to have any computer running to set up the TV for this type of access to a movie library. I do not think the ST50 had that capability, but I only looked for it briefly on that tv before it failed.

The other thing I noticed was that the default settings for the various picture modes (standard, vivid, home theatre, cinema, and custom etc.) seemed to be quite watchable without much adjustment. I am used to most tv's I have purchased including Sony, Samsung and prior Panasonic models, to take a lot of adjustment to get to something that approaches natural color, brightness and contrast. And the blacks are outstanding even in the "light" setting, just as they were on the ST50.

All in all I think they have another winner here, but of course that is based on only a few hours of viewing. I certainly hope this model lasts longer than my ST50.

I do have a couple of knocks though for the product and Panasonic. First, it appears that they have changed the 3D eye wear technology again for this model year, rendering the four pairs of glasses I purchased for the ST50 totally useless. They have added two pairs of new 3D glasses to the box, but this is still a disappointment, especially because the new glasses have no charging mechanism and it appears you have to replace batteries regularly, although there are no instructions included on that either in the eyeglasses wrapping or in the manual or quick start guide. I have looked on line for a time this morning but can find no user guide or instructions for these new glasses, and they are not even mentioned on the Panasonic sites in the US or Canada at this point.

Finally, Panasonic and its Concierge service has let me down big time. Because they sold me defective TV and refused to replace it when it broke down, I had to wait around for over 5 weeks with an unwatchable TV, have someone at my home on 3 occasions for the authorized repair person to come in to attempt repairs, then I had to drive my broken tv over 300 kilometres to the store where I originally purchased it. Even worse, Panasonic refused to pay the full cost for an acceptable replacement. Of course there were no 50ST50's available anywhere after New Year's day. The retail dealer had no new 50ST60's yet and was told they would not arrive until mid April. My only option then was to take a new 55ST60 that had just arrived, but to pay an additional $300 plus tax for the exchange. In addition I was stuck with 4 pairs of Panasonic 3D glasses for which I paid over $200 dollars. In short, because of Panasonic's failure to stand behind its products, their defective TV ended up costing me an additional $550 dollars.

I contrast this to a few years ago when I bought a new 46 inch Sony XBR9 LCD from Future Shop on boxing day. After about 4 weeks I noticed a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. I had a new replacement model in my home in less than 48 hours. Unfortunately the lesson here seems to be, don't buy Panasonic and buy from large box stores rather than smaller retail outlets like Powerline Electronics in Guelph Ontario. Too bad because the quality f the picture on their plasmas is unbeatable.
post #38 of 44 Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have you tried doing a complete pairing operation with the old 3D glasses with the ST60?
The old glasses would be paired to the old set, so they would need to be paired again to the new set to work with that.
The 2013 3D glasses should be compatable with the 2012 models.
The replaceable lithium battery (like on the cheaper Samsung 3D glasses) last for months and are very cheap, I got a pack of 5 for under $2 on ebay and they are a very common type that my car stereo's remote and garage door opener remote both use.
I was concerned the built-in rechargeable battery in the 2012 Panasonic 3D glasses is not replaceable and rechargeable batteries eventually don't hold a charge as long and wear out after many cycles.
post #39 of 44 Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Thanks Brisco I will try that tonight.
post #40 of 44 Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM

I need to correct my earlier post. The new ST60 series is compatible with the 2012 Panasonic 3D glasses. I forgot that because the older glasses had been paired with the ST50 TV that broke down the mode button on the older glasses had to be held in the on position for about 3 seconds to get it to decouple from the old TV and enter into registration mode for the new TV. Thanks Briscoe for the reminder.

I have now had more time with the ST60 and have to say that I think it is an improvement on the ST50 in terms of features and its performance with a cable box signal.
post #41 of 44 Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 PM

Liked: 10
Back in the day, panny's slogan was ". . . just slightly ahead of its time." The slogan today should be "forget about it!"

I have had 4 panny plasma tv's since '07 – 3 are 3d. I recently rec'd my 50" st60 only to learn that the CEC feature set is severely limited for 2013 models. I have the TH-42PZ85U, TC-P50VT25, TC-P42ST30 and most recently the TC-P50ST60. Fine tvs, the first 3. All attached via hdmi to 3 diff Yamaha receivers. 2 use ARC. Except for this latest 2013 model, they provide power and volume control via the hdmi/cec standard through the panny remote. For some reason, the panny gurus decided that feature was no longer important for 2013 mods especially the TC-P50ST60. If u read the manual there's a disclaimer. I called tech support, and it was confirmed. I asked if we could expect a firmware update to fix. he said, "if enough people complain."

I'm hearing from tech support that it's been cut for all 2013 mods. I know panny's in financial strain but it had to be a bean counter that decided to let this feature go. So in their infinite wisdom, with the tinny sound out of the base speakers, panny wants me to revert back to using 2 remotes to power on my yamaha recvr and after it's on, use 2 remotes to control the volume. Weird as it seems, the panny remote will turn the entire system off.

I'm returning the tv but for those who want function that's expected at this price range, be forewarned. so u ladies know, i'm not one to waste my life away on these boards. I've tried to anticipate questions but writing this long response. so buy responsibly. your mileage may vary. i can tell u this, my set-up at home is pretty much plug n play. replaced the st30 with the st60 and all was well until it came to power on and volume. mind u i can see, the yammy volume displayed on the set, i just can't control it through the panny remote. so it appears to be partially implemented. some would say, half-assed.
post #42 of 44 Old 05-07-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 20
I don't understand, my st60 remote controls my audio receiver, it properly changed inputs and is fully cec controlled. I have an older Sony hdmi receiver. All functions work great.

Am I misunderstanding your point?
post #43 of 44 Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Are you opposed to using a nice universal learning remote like a URC R40? Or even one of the Harmonys? To me, the most important part of a home theater system is a universtal remote and it usually solves any sort of incompatibility that may arise between different brands of AV components and eliminates complication.

I've always found that the TV remotes are very limited in their daily usefulness when using the TV with an AVR, not to mention a cable DVR and DVD player etc, and you still end up having to use remotes for those components anyway. My R40 controls all 8 of my HT components seamlessly and i never ever have to retrieve one of the original remotes from the drawer, and it was really fun setting it up and coming up with creative macros to accomplish all my advanced tasks and functions. It seems like a shame to return such a great TV just because the factory remote is limited.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #44 of 44 Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 10
randy, i hear ya, k. call me old-fashioned but i don't take a likin' to a manuf removing function that was already there. ppl like yourself and 'philes may get off on buying all the latest gadgets. it's a choice. my older panny's work fine with their recvrs. they may not have the same black levels or other miniscule crap that most only see with a test pattern but they do fine for me. once immersed in the movie, the sound becomes more important to my experience than some minute visual flaw. so with that as context, u can understand why i appreciate simplicity. so when my panny remotes (exc the 2013) control tv, recvr and dvd, i'm in heaven. keep in mind it's not just the remote. i'm a dtv guy. so i primarily use their remote for tv. through cec, when the tv receives a power signal, it will promote that signal to the recvr and viera link will allow volume cntrl of the tv to effect the volume of the recvr. that's simplicity to me not to mention the significant other who would rather not be bothered. so we have peace in the household now. yes, the browser function would've been nice but that's why we have laptops. my other 2 have the apps and the 3rd has access to apps via the attached panny dvd. i guess standardization is the ultimate goal here.

personally, i don't fiddle much. my recvr settings are rarely chg'd. hell i'm still a 5.1 guy and frankly don't ever see that chging. so for me, it's a protest as well as a msg to panny. for others, they should be aware as this cost cutting exercise seems to indicate panny may be going out of business. they've made nice plasmas but i suspect most ppl prefer the lcd panel due to its brightness.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page