Are cheap LED bias lights any good behind a plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this and was wondering if this would improve the picture quality of my 64" Samsung E7000.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362681974&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+hdtv+bias+lighting+kit

I know that Ideal-Lume has some more expensive products that are properly calibrated, but I was wondering if I would notice the difference in the color anyway. The wall behind my TV is not white...it's dark green, and I assume that would impact the color of the bias light anyway. The fact that it is USB powered would make for an easy setup and would allow it to go on/off with my TV.

I watch TV in the dark, and I don't get eyestrain, but I would welcome anything that would improve perceived black level or image pop. Any thoughts on how a cheap solution like this would improve or degrade picture quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I saw this and was wondering if this would improve the picture quality of my 64" Samsung E7000.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362681974&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+hdtv+bias+lighting+kit

I know that Ideal-Lume has some more expensive products that are properly calibrated, but I was wondering if I would notice the difference in the color anyway. The wall behind my TV is not white...it's dark green, and I assume that would impact the color of the bias light anyway. The fact that it is USB powered would make for an easy setup and would allow it to go on/off with my TV.

I watch TV in the dark, and I don't get eyestrain, but I would welcome anything that would improve perceived black level or image pop. Any thoughts on how a cheap solution like this would improve or degrade picture quality?

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390GFJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 behind my 64" D7000 and it's a big improvement. I have a dark grey wall that most likely isn't exactly right color-wise but I'm not seeing any issues. The improvement in perceived contrast ratio (black level, 'pop') is substantial. I can't watch without it now. Highly recommended.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The light really needs to be a daylight bulb...something close to 6500, or a bluish looking light. And in the pic, that is what the amazon light appears to be...could be a great use of 40 bucks.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390GFJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 behind my 64" D7000 and it's a big improvement. I have a dark grey wall that most likely isn't exactly right color-wise but I'm not seeing any issues. The improvement in perceived contrast ratio (black level, 'pop') is substantial. I can't watch without it now. Highly recommended.

That also looks nice...I guess you have to turn it on and off manually? That's one downside of a non-USB solution.

Do you only turn it on at night, or during the day too? I understand that it wouldn't make a big difference during the day, but if I bought the USB solution, it would turn on with the TV during the day as well. I wonder if that would be a problem or a non-issue.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

That also looks nice...I guess you have to turn it on and off manually? That's one downside of a non-USB solution.

Do you only turn it on at night, or during the day too? I understand that it wouldn't make a big difference during the day, but if I bought the USB solution, it would turn on with the TV during the day as well. I wonder if that would be a problem or a non-issue.

True, I do have to turn it on and off manually. By now I do it without thinking though, when I grab or put back my AVR remote which is next to the TV when I'm not watching something.

My room is completely dark so I wouldn't know about daylight viewing. I can't imagine it would be a problem. At worst I imagine it would have no effect.

One small piece of advice that I wish I'd followed: make absolutely certain everything is placed where you want it before you do the final gluing of it (incl. cable holders and on/off switch). I didn't consider cable shadows before I fastened mine so I now have a shadow of my HDMI cable on the wall... I'm going to have to move everything a bit which is doable. But it would have been easier if I'd used my brain to begin with :-)

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
post #6 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I have one and yes it makes a difference with blacks and colors as well with eye fatigue at night. I only use it at night and yes if you leave it on it turns on when you turn the tv on. It's not an issue whatsoever, you can turn it on whenever you please .

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #7 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Do you have a USB light or an AC powered light?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays