Are cheap LED bias lights any good behind a plasma? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this and was wondering if this would improve the picture quality of my 64" Samsung E7000.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362681974&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+hdtv+bias+lighting+kit

I know that Ideal-Lume has some more expensive products that are properly calibrated, but I was wondering if I would notice the difference in the color anyway. The wall behind my TV is not white...it's dark green, and I assume that would impact the color of the bias light anyway. The fact that it is USB powered would make for an easy setup and would allow it to go on/off with my TV.

I watch TV in the dark, and I don't get eyestrain, but I would welcome anything that would improve perceived black level or image pop. Any thoughts on how a cheap solution like this would improve or degrade picture quality?
ed3120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I saw this and was wondering if this would improve the picture quality of my 64" Samsung E7000.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-HDTV-51-1-Inch-BIAS-LIGHTING/dp/B007TG5EG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362681974&sr=8-1&keywords=antec+hdtv+bias+lighting+kit

I know that Ideal-Lume has some more expensive products that are properly calibrated, but I was wondering if I would notice the difference in the color anyway. The wall behind my TV is not white...it's dark green, and I assume that would impact the color of the bias light anyway. The fact that it is USB powered would make for an easy setup and would allow it to go on/off with my TV.

I watch TV in the dark, and I don't get eyestrain, but I would welcome anything that would improve perceived black level or image pop. Any thoughts on how a cheap solution like this would improve or degrade picture quality?

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390GFJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 behind my 64" D7000 and it's a big improvement. I have a dark grey wall that most likely isn't exactly right color-wise but I'm not seeing any issues. The improvement in perceived contrast ratio (black level, 'pop') is substantial. I can't watch without it now. Highly recommended.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, NHT Classic 3s, Classic ThreeC, SuperZero 2.1s, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450,
NHT Absolute Center, Energy Veritas 5.1s, 5.2C, V-Mini-C.
willieconway is online now  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
benareeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 2,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The light really needs to be a daylight bulb...something close to 6500, or a bluish looking light. And in the pic, that is what the amazon light appears to be...could be a great use of 40 bucks.
benareeno is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00390GFJS/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 behind my 64" D7000 and it's a big improvement. I have a dark grey wall that most likely isn't exactly right color-wise but I'm not seeing any issues. The improvement in perceived contrast ratio (black level, 'pop') is substantial. I can't watch without it now. Highly recommended.

That also looks nice...I guess you have to turn it on and off manually? That's one downside of a non-USB solution.

Do you only turn it on at night, or during the day too? I understand that it wouldn't make a big difference during the day, but if I bought the USB solution, it would turn on with the TV during the day as well. I wonder if that would be a problem or a non-issue.
ed3120 is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
willieconway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

That also looks nice...I guess you have to turn it on and off manually? That's one downside of a non-USB solution.

Do you only turn it on at night, or during the day too? I understand that it wouldn't make a big difference during the day, but if I bought the USB solution, it would turn on with the TV during the day as well. I wonder if that would be a problem or a non-issue.

True, I do have to turn it on and off manually. By now I do it without thinking though, when I grab or put back my AVR remote which is next to the TV when I'm not watching something.

My room is completely dark so I wouldn't know about daylight viewing. I can't imagine it would be a problem. At worst I imagine it would have no effect.

One small piece of advice that I wish I'd followed: make absolutely certain everything is placed where you want it before you do the final gluing of it (incl. cable holders and on/off switch). I didn't consider cable shadows before I fastened mine so I now have a shadow of my HDMI cable on the wall... I'm going to have to move everything a bit which is doable. But it would have been easier if I'd used my brain to begin with :-)

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Onkyo TX-NR818, NHT Classic 3s, Classic ThreeC, SuperZero 2.1s, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up: Denon 1713, Klipsch SW-450,
NHT Absolute Center, Energy Veritas 5.1s, 5.2C, V-Mini-C.
willieconway is online now  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 3,356
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

That also looks nice...I guess you have to turn it on and off manually? That's one downside of a non-USB solution.

Do you only turn it on at night, or during the day too? I understand that it wouldn't make a big difference during the day, but if I bought the USB solution, it would turn on with the TV during the day as well. I wonder if that would be a problem or a non-issue.

I have one and yes it makes a difference with blacks and colors as well with eye fatigue at night. I only use it at night and yes if you leave it on it turns on when you turn the tv on. It's not an issue whatsoever, you can turn it on whenever you please .

Media room- LG OLED EG9600 4k, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, PS4, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Panasonic ST60, onkyo RC-360,HTPC, Klipsch Reference R-62II, Rc52II

Gaming room -Panasonic GT50 THX, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ed3120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. Do you have a USB light or an AC powered light?
ed3120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off