post #31 of 42 Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by john pifer View Post

In actuality, I probably watched 1-2 hrs/day of FNC, and, some days, virtually none at all.

And, I've only had the set for a little over 90 days. So, probably well less than 150 hrs. on the display, total.

As I said, probably 50-60% of that was Fox.

So, if I do the math, my best guesstimate would be ~60-70 hrs. of Fox News Channel, total.

I'll probably stay off Fox completely for a while and see if the problem resolves. Seems like it's already gotten better since I stopped watching FNC a few days ago and I've been watching full-screen content without logos.

A well balanced diet is the best thing you can do for your tv. wink.gif
john pifer likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

Just gotta say, with a preface of "politics aside", this sounds about like politics exactly. smile.gif

I just gotta say, you must not have bothered to read what I actually wrote, which was a specific effort not to call out anyone's politics (unlike a dozen other posts here), but rather a call for being less angry. I imagine MSNBC makes people pretty angry, too, but I have to confess I've seen that channel even less than I've seen Fox News.

Being angry doesn't lead to being informed, no matter whether you're far left or far right.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

Well...I think this guy's story shows you chose wisely. He didn't do any break-in and watched fox news for hours and hours on end and all he got was a slight image retention that shows a "faint outline" when he is on a single color, and there's a way to take care of it - it's not even permanent. A few hours of Pixar movies and he's good as gold. I read that as it's not much of an issue for me - I watch maybe three hours of TV a week, and mostly movies. My daughter does play some xbox gaming, but it just gives me a better reason to limit her to 90 minutes a day of gaming on this set.

So the big comparison...

The "possibility of shortime inconvenience if I allow IR to happen" coupled with better blacks/color/motion VS the bar of light following objects shown against a black background is as well as some level of ghosting or halo, and mediocre picture uniformity, all givens, joined with possible light leakage and super hot spots.

Gee, which should I pick?

rolleyes.gif

PS: The original poster probably got more brain damage from the fox network news than he did damage to his set. LOL.
I understand what you are saying but I would rather be the moderator of what gets watched in my house and when, not my TV.

I have an LG 55lm6700 right now with no back light issues (lucky) and the picture is pretty superb. I would love to see it next to a calibrated plasma in the same price range but going into a store you can't really get a feel for anything. In my house I have a plasma but it is not even far to compare to it. It is a 5 year old 42" Insignia and the picture is terrible! Cheapest TV I could find at that time that was watchable as it was a TV that was not going to be viewed much.

Also, the more I read about active glasses the more I keep wanting to stick with passive which is not available on plasma's. And last is the TV is in a bright room. So every time I see a good price on a plasma and start doing some reading on it this voice in my head always talks me out of it.

So here is the dilema. New Egg has a great sale on the 60PM6700. If I went with that TV and after purchasing glasses I would be saving $200 from my current LED LG 6700 model. So keep going back and forth with which TV I should go with. Keep the 55" LED or go with the 60" plasma and save $200.
post #34 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
PDPs are most susceptible to image retention when new before the phosphors have aged/hardened.

I have a 2005 Panasonic PDP and a 2007 Pioneer Kuro PDP.

Both displays have many 1000s of hours of operation.

The Panasonic PDP is still subject to image retention.

The Kuro PDP is not. The Kuro PDP's orbiter feature is enabled. The Kuro PDP showed signs of image retention when new but doesn't anymore.

I'd like to know what the difference is between these PDPs, which makes the Kuro display more resistant to image retention.

(BTW... I enjoy watching the FOX news channel, especially the Business Block from 10:00 AM - noon on Saturday)
post #35 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think everyone who had experiences with burn-in/IR have one thing in common and that is using D-Nice's settings. With D-Nice's settings on the ST50, I believe his contrast settings is really high for regular TV broadcast. In my opinion, I believe that D-Nice's settings is only meant for Blu-Ray movies and not for regular TV shows with logos.

In your situation, I think the damage is already done. Unless you stop watching the Fox News channel, the IR of the logo will always going to be there. If that's not an option, then I would suggest you lower your contrast to 50 or under and see if that will lessen over time. I guess only time will tell.
post #36 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

So here is the dilema. New Egg has a great sale on the 60PM6700. If I went with that TV and after purchasing glasses I would be saving $200 from my current LED LG 6700 model. So keep going back and forth with which TV I should go with. Keep the 55" LED or go with the 60" plasma and save $200.

So is your only reason to upgrade the size? Other than that, you love your LG LED-LCD?

The 3D point is well taken - the Active 3D gives me a headache. But to my eye the plasma price-point to price-point always looks better than the LED (at any price point I see an LCD/LED, the same price-point plasma has a better picture).
post #37 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

PDPs are most susceptible to image retention when new before the phosphors have aged/hardened.

We hear that a lot, but I wonder if anyone has actually proved it.
Quote:
The Panasonic PDP is still subject to image retention.

And when you write this, it suggests the original assertion isn't really true, given your TV is not new.
Quote:
The Kuro PDP is not. The Kuro PDP's orbiter feature is enabled. The Kuro PDP showed signs of image retention when new but doesn't anymore.

Yet this backs it up... (although it also points out the orbiter isn't really relevant....)
Quote:
I'd like to know what the difference is between these PDPs, which makes the Kuro display more resistant to image retention.

Different phosphor design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasshern View Post

In your situation, I think the damage is already done.

I don't, not even a little.
Quote:
Unless you stop watching the Fox News channel, the IR of the logo will always going to be there.

Or it won't... Especially if the set "ages" and becomes less prone to retention or he finds some settings that are less prone to it. Oh, and also, he's not going to stop watching it entirely; it's his favorite channel. Why buy a TV and be unable to watch your favorite (or at least most-watched) channel?

Your statement implies that the retention is both "permanent" and "not permanent" at the same time by the way.
Quote:
If that's not an option, then I would suggest you lower your contrast to 50 or under and see if that will lessen over time. I guess only time will tell.

For example, you've offered a setting idea here.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #38 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

So is your only reason to upgrade the size? Other than that, you love your LG LED-LCD?

The 3D point is well taken - the Active 3D gives me a headache. But to my eye the plasma price-point to price-point always looks better than the LED (at any price point I see an LCD/LED, the same price-point plasma has a better picture).
Yeah, the size is nice but saving a couple of hundred is also a good thing. After reading a bit though I do no think this TV will be good for me. I have a bright room durung the day and I need a really bright picture to cut through and an LED offers this where I do not think I will get it from a plasma. Maybe the 60lm9700 would do but to far out of my price range right now.
post #39 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Liked: 13
I'd like that 9700 too - a full array LED backlight that's in reach - but it's a good $800 out of my reach as well. How about the LM8600? It's come down substantially, and the initial issues were solved by firmware fixes. It is one of the ones I am taking a look at.

As for the bright rooms, my experience at the store was that these new plasmas are a lot brighter than just a few years ago. I think the GT50 would do fine in my main room, at least in that regard.
post #40 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Didn't you read the quote by Winston Churchill? I believe that explains it all.

Trust me, young man, eventually you will change your opinions.

Why I'm so old I can remember watching Black & White TV w/only (3) channels available.

(Hey Verizon FiOS... give me The Blaze TV)

I don't think that Churchill meant that you would eventually change your opinions to match neo-con zionist brainwash.

Don't forget that you are an infant in the information age, you haven't had to deal with digging through mountains of propaganda provided by 24 hour news and the internet for any longer than the rest of us.

biggrin.gif

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
post #41 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I don't, not even a little.
Or it won't... Especially if the set "ages" and becomes less prone to retention or he finds some settings that are less prone to it. Oh, and also, he's not going to stop watching it entirely; it's his favorite channel. Why buy a TV and be unable to watch your favorite (or at least most-watched) channel?

Your statement implies that the retention is both "permanent" and "not permanent" at the same time by the way.
For example, you've offered a setting idea here.

From what I see, if you watch something with the same static logo for hours and hours everyday, wouldn't that part of the screen get burned-in at one point instead of just IR? Why else would the manufacture tell you not to have something static for more than 2 hours per session? That is why I suggest OP to lower his contrast and just maybe it will prevent a permanent burn-in down the road.
post #42 of 42 Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Being angry doesn't lead to being informed, no matter whether you're far left or far right.

while this is true, it's also a false equivalency, as more people watch Fox News than all other 24/hr news combined.

HTPC: I3 2100, Radeon 6950.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera S1 Series Tc P42s1 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page