Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

So what happens when you return the f8500 then the ZT60 doesn't deliver what is it's advertised hype. you know advertisements are just that. I'm speaking from my experience when I added last year's PN60E8000 to my home. Compared to my PN50C7000 the E8000 has a better PQ BUT its not earth shattering. Now if I were to compare the C7000 to the F8500 then we're talking.

Thank goodness for 30 and 60 day return policies : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Thanks for the kind response Ph8te : )

I just want to mention the contrast ratio is great on the F8500, as well as the blacks, so that's not an issue, at least to me. Being able to take full advantage of it's capabilities without being hindered by brightness pops/fluctuations is my only real concern. Changing the settings in extreme ways can make them less noticeable, but doing that is very limiting. Everyone wants to see the best picture a set can produce, not one's that simply hide an issue. All settings should be available to the user without concerns of abnormal fluctuations...IMO.

Soooooooo, I'm just hoping the firmware update will put that issue to rest.

ps) I've never seen a Panasonic that offers contrast/detail like the F8500...the Vt50 sure doesn't. Maybe contrast ratio is different than detail....so I may just be a little confused about what you mean by that.

Jack, I agree with everything you said about the F8500. I love this TV but the brightness fluctuations are too much for me. As you said, yes I could take away the contrast and have them go away but like you said, hiding a problem is the wrong answer. I bought it for the brightness. And to be honest, I don't really care about this MLL business. I am happy with the blacks. Never had owned a plasma before, this was a huge change for the better. This tv is going back but I am very torn about sending it back. When ken mentioned the firmware update I swear I reached for my phone and almost called to cancel. But I decided I am just going to send this one back and wait to see what the update has to offer. If it fixes it Chris from Cleveland Plasma will be getting a call from me. biggrin.gif
post #2973 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi. I unlocked the Cal Day And Night settings on my 64 inch and entered mightymouseusf's settings. I then tested them on my 3D Alice In Wonderland blu ray which had lots of pops when I played it in movie mode a couple of days ago. Im happy to report I had the film on for at least an hour and counted only 2 pops in cal day mode. In movie mode they were happening every 30 seconds if not more. For my second test I played my Life Of Pi dvd which I had noticed before in movie mode would pop during the sky scenes in the film. With mightymouseusf settings I saw a couple of slight pops but probably wouldnt have even noticed them unless I had really been looking for them. I guess Cal Day is the way to go until the firmware update. Kinda funny also that the the hidden CAL settings work better then the regular ones.

Samsung F8500 Service menu factory reset and activating cal modes instructions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2974 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

l

I've been following this thread hoping to hear exactly that...fantastic! I sure hope Samsung provided sincere information. I imagine a lot of people are considering returning the set because of those issues...like me. I also appreciate your comparison of the F8500 verse the VT60...sounds like Panasonic did not improve the sharpness much from the VT50.

Now I have to decide if the ZT60 is worth waiting for...a very hard decision for me since my family doesn't want me to return this one. I have to decide by the end of the week. I was pretty sure I was going to return it, but your post is making it hard to do. I sure wish I could see the ZT60 now to see if the new screen produces a superior picture. Not knowing is driving me a little crazy : (
I highly doubt the ZT60 will be "sharper" than what you're getting with the F8500.
post #2975 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I highly doubt the ZT60 will be "sharper" than what you're getting with the F8500.

Agreed, I think jack is mixing "sharper" with contrast ratio....but I guess only he know what he wants wink.gif

jack IMO I would return the set and see if the update happens......I never base my purchase decision or return decision on something that "may" be fixed....
post #2976 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

Is the upcoming firmware confirmed to fix the brightness pops in both 2d and 3d?

We don't know at this point.
post #2977 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 19
Continuing my saga to speak to anyone at Samsung that can shed some light on this brightness fluctuation problem:

As I last reported I was awaiting a call back from Tier 2 tech support on Monday after they were able to do some research on the issue from speaking to them Saturday.. Chatted with rep on Tuesday saying i didn't receive call Monday. They they said wait until tomorrow. Ok.

So now Wednesday afternoon and I try again:

First call: finally rings to CS rep and then hangs up on me.

Second call: gets through to CS rep who attempts to transfer me to Tier 2 and instead I get "invalid extension" and the system hangs up on me - again.

Third call: I get though to "Jason". (Oh Jason, I weep for your employer and for the future). Jason, ignoring all my background info tells me, unequivocally, that my TV does this because of Intelligent Viewing. Here's a retelling.

Jason: "Yeah I'll tell you right now sir that's a feature called Intelligent Viewing. All the 2013 TVs do that. They just told us about it the other day.

Me: "But there's no Intelligent Viewing feature listed. No other tech I've spoken to has mentioned it. It's nowhere on the internet related to this TV. In fact in all my research and talks with Samsung this is the first I've heard it. Are you sure?"

Jason: " Yeah I don't know about the website but that's what it does. It changes what you're watching all by itself to make it better. It depends on what you're watching, and then it just changes it."

Me: Ok Jason, let's assume this feature really does exist and it's the source of my problems. Can I turn it off?"

Jason: "No, it's just there and you can't turn it of on any 2013 tvs.

Me: "Wow, seems crazy for what Samsung calls a reference TV. So why do I want this feature? What's it do for me? I paid for it so I'm wondering"

Jason "Uhm I don't know, that's just what these TVs do."

Me: "But why would I want that on a TV that is supposed to have the best picture quality available? Why is this something I want?"

Jason: 'Well I mean honestly it doesn't sound like a great feature..."

Me: "Really, you don't say? So I should just return my TV if I don't like the "feature"?"

Jason: "Yeah I guess so."

Me: "So Jason, with all due respect my friend, Intelligent Viewing is absolutely not what's going on here and you probably shouldn't be telling your employer's customers to return expensive items to dealers based on information you are providing that is clearly incorrect. This is obviously not intended behavior or at least beneficial to the user.. So can you please send me to the Tier 2 tech I asked for that I've been waiting to hear back from"

Jason: "Let me see what I can do"

Me: "Please do."

Jason: (long hold) "Ok I have a Tier 2 tech here that can better explain this feature to you."

Me: "Jason, the feature you are talking about does not relate to this TV and is not what my problem is."

Jason "Whatever"

Jason hangs up and initiates the transfer

Transfer happens this time. Yipeee!!!

I explain my discourse with Jason to the Tier 2 tech and of course they say that Intelligent Viewing is not a feature of the TV and not intended behavior and they don't' know why Jason said that and they have no idea what he's talking about and they are sorry.. etc etc.

Not a good experiences with Samsung support to say the least. I wish I were exaggerating. I really do.

Anyway the Tier 2 tech said the original tech I spoke to will be back tomorrow and the case is still pending (submitted to knowledge base) but they currently know nothing else about it. So I'm still waiting. Sure hope that firmware pans out and/or I can get some corroboration or commitment directly from Samsung. Sigh...

the saga continues...

Hope someone else has better luck

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
post #2978 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Inferno View Post

Hi. I unlocked the Cal Day And Night settings on my 64 inch and entered mightymouseusf's settings. I then tested them on my 3D Alice In Wonderland blu ray which had lots of pops when I played it in movie mode a couple of days ago. Im happy to report I had the film on for at least an hour and counted only 2 pops in cal day mode. In movie mode they were happening every 30 seconds if not more. For my second test I played my Life Of Pi dvd which I had noticed before in movie mode would pop during the sky scenes in the film. With mightymouseusf settings I saw a couple of slight pops but probably wouldnt have even noticed them unless I had really been looking for them. I guess Cal Day is the way to go until the firmware update. Kinda funny also that the the hidden CAL settings work better then the regular ones.

I wouldn't go into the service menu I will leave that to the professionals I'm not going to brick my TV that's Samsung's job to fix and give us firmware updates I'm not going to risk my TV to do their job.

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #2979 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Hey Ken, is there an ETA of this firmware update? I would like to see it before my TV goes back so I can compare to other TVs.

Thanks.

Sorry, not yet.
post #2980 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I wouldn't go into the service menu I will leave that to the professionals I'm not going to brick my TV that's Samsung's job to fix and give us firmware updates I'm not going to risk my TV to do their job.

I hear ya and I should of said no one should attempt to do this unless they have an old remote handy and detailed instructions and also run the risk of possibly bricking there set if they dont do it right. With that said I followed the instructions very carefully and it was very simple actually and did stop a large amount of the pops i was getting. Also I agree with you also that it is Samsungs job to give us firmware updates and fix any problems the set may have. Im coming from a C8000 model that had the CAL settings un hidden. I wonder why Samsung chose to move them to the service menu.

Samsung F8500 Service menu factory reset and activating cal modes instructions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2981 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessender View Post

Continuing my saga to speak to anyone at Samsung that can shed some light on this brightness fluctuation problem:

As I last reported I was awaiting a call back from Tier 2 tech support on Monday after they were able to do some research on the issue from speaking to them Saturday.. Chatted with rep on Tuesday saying i didn't receive call Monday. They they said wait until tomorrow. Ok.

Second call: gets through to CS rep who attempts to transfer me to Tier 2 and instead I get "invalid extension" and the system hangs up on me - again.

Third call: I get though to "Jason". (Oh Jason, I weep for your employer and for the future). Jason, ignoring all my background info tells me, unequivocally, that my TV does this because of Intelligent Viewing. Here's a retelling.

Jason: "Yeah I'll tell you right now sir that's a feature called Intelligent Viewing. All the 2013 TVs do that. They just told us about it the other day.

Me: "But there's no Intelligent Viewing feature listed. No other tech I've spoken to has mentioned it. It's nowhere on the internet related to this TV. In fact in all my research and talks with Samsung this is the first I've heard it. Are you sure?"

Jason: " Yeah I don't know about the website but that's what it does. It changes what you're watching all by itself to make it better. It depends on what you're watching, and then it just changes it."

Me: Ok Jason, let's assume this feature really does exist and it's the source of my problems. Can I turn it off?"

Me: "Wow, seems crazy for what Samsung calls a reference TV. So why do I want this feature? What's it do for me? I paid for it so I'm wondering"

Me: "But why would I want that on a TV that is supposed to have the best picture quality available? Why is this something I want?"

Me: "Really, you don't say? So I should just return my TV if I don't like the "feature"?"

Me: "So Jason, with all due respect my friend, Intelligent Viewing is absolutely not what's going on here and you probably shouldn't be telling your employer's customers to return expensive items to dealers based on information you are providing that is clearly incorrect. This is obviously not intended behavior or at least beneficial to the user.. So can you please send me to the Tier 2 tech I asked for that I've been waiting to hear back from"

Jason: (long hold) "Ok I have a Tier 2 tech here that can better explain this feature to you."

Me: "Jason, the feature you are talking about does not relate to this TV and is not what my problem is."

Jason "Whatever"

I explain my discourse with Jason to the Tier 2 tech and of course they say that Intelligent Viewing is not a feature of the TV and not intended behavior and they don't' know why Jason said that and they have no idea what he's talking about and they are sorry.. etc etc.

Not a good experiences with Samsung support to say the least. I wish I were exaggerating. I really do.

Anyway the Tier 2 tech said the original tech I spoke to will be back tomorrow and the case is still pending (submitted to knowledge base) but they currently know nothing else about it. So I'm still waiting. Sure hope that firmware pans out and/or I can get some corroboration or commitment directly from Samsung. Sigh...

the saga continues...

I take it you are beyond your return period? if not please take it back, and just wait this out. I know how frustrating it is to be on the ringer w/ csr's

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #2982 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the saga continues...

that sounds about the experience with most tier 1 support people. Sometimes you just need to know the code words to get them to escalate the issue. I know I ahd a tech come out for my laptop once. he told me what to say to get beyond the techs "script" and get something right away. Well what do you know next time I called I used it and boom it worked smile.gif .....

You have to remember that most of these tier 1 techs are going off a script and they can get in trouble if they go off of it. So unless you know certain key words they will do everything in their power to keep you form being escalated to the next level. It can be understantably frustrating, but really they only ahve basic knowledge of any product at best and most of what they know is in front of them......

BTW technically he wasnt wrong, but he didnt understand you issue:

“We now offer the best streaming video picture quality on a Samsung TV, the first to support HEVC offering much higher video quality over lower bandwidth,” said Baxter. “We call that intelligent viewing.”
Intelligent Viewing -- an advanced content guide

Its a new feature, but has nothing to do with the picture or any of the issues you are seeing......

I wish you luck with your adventure though I have been down that dark path before smile.gif
post #2983 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

I take it you are beyond your return period? if not please take it back, and just wait this out. I know how frustrating it is to be on the ringer w/ csr's

No I have time yet. Will wait it out a bit for more info. Will continue to evaluate as time goes on. I love a lot of this TV, but the brightness pops, particularly in 3D are a problem for me.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #2984 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

agreed......
post #2985 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

that sounds about the experience with most tier 1 support people. Sometimes you just need to know the code words to get them to escalate the issue. I know I ahd a tech come out for my laptop once. he told me what to say to get beyond the techs "script" and get something right away. Well what do you know next time I called I used it and boom it worked smile.gif .....

You have to remember that most of these tier 1 techs are going off a script and they can get in trouble if they go off of it. So unless you know certain key words they will do everything in their power to keep you form being escalated to the next level. It can be understantably frustrating, but really they only ahve basic knowledge of any product at best and most of what they know is in front of them......

BTW technically he wasnt wrong, but he didnt understand you issue:

“We now offer the best streaming video picture quality on a Samsung TV, the first to support HEVC offering much higher video quality over lower bandwidth,” said Baxter. “We call that intelligent viewing.”
Intelligent Viewing -- an advanced content guide

Its a new feature, but has nothing to do with the picture or any of the issues you are seeing......

I wish you luck with your adventure though I have been down that dark path before smile.gif

Generally I do pretty well with support people, even inept ones. But the ones that won't listen and condescendingly give insanely inaccurate info as if it's fact just amaze me.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #2986 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Generally I do pretty well with support people, even inept ones. But the ones that won't listen and condescendingly give insanely inaccurate info as if it's fact just amaze me.

Been there before frown.gif and I totally understand your pain.....

sometiems its better to jsut hang up and try your luck again....Ive often just refused to provide information until they trnasfer me as Ive already gone over teh inforamtion 324932948 times. Somtiems I try to kill them with being nice tell them Look I know you ahve a job to do and a script to follow, but if you wolould kindly transfer me to Tier 2 you can move on to someone who really neeeds your support, I am just trying to get an update on a case I already opened...
post #2987 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

Regarding the stand. I have a ZVOX Z-Base 550HSD that my current Samsung 63C590 sits on. The ZVOX dimensions are •28-1/16"W x 15-13/16"D. I have seen some say the stand is a little wobbly and that is on a solid surface I assume. Will this tv be safe to put on the ZVOV with the stand as it is on the 64F8500? Thank you.

Yur current stand is about 4-5 nches short dimensions are listed as:
TV with stand: 58.4" x 36.1" x 12.6"

so you would be hanging off either edge by about 2 inches or so, for me that is too much and Id be VERY cautions to set it up like that, but I have seen setups where they have more hangover than that and it seems OK.....

More then that. If the TV is 58 inches wide and his stand is 28 inches wide that is a 30 inch difference.

TWD
post #2988 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone been able to get the Netflix and the Amazon app from the Smarthub to stretch for 4:3 material? I tried changing it when I'm outside the Smarthub to zoom but that doesn't seem to affect Neflix/Amazon. I haven't been able to find any options when I'm in the apps to change it to zoom either.
post #2989 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

More then that. If the TV is 58 inches wide and his stand is 28 inches wide that is a 30 inch difference.

yes I know I corrected myself when it was pointed out later wink.gif
post #2990 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick77 View Post

Has anyone been able to get the Netflix and the Amazon app from the Smarthub to stretch for 4:3 material? I tried changing it when I'm outside the Smarthub to zoom but that doesn't seem to affect Neflix/Amazon. I haven't been able to find any options when I'm in the apps to change it to zoom either.

is there a p size button? if so try that, it may be in the manual as well, I know they did put what modes by which input, but I dont rememebr off the top of my head if they showed it for smart apps.
post #2991 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:

Jason "Whatever"

the saga continues...

Do you ever feel like you are talking to someone from another planet? The CR you talked to should be terminated for giving you false information. If there was such a feature it sure isn't what I would call intelligent viewing. I really wish you luck with Samsung and getting a phone call back from them. They honestly have the worst CS for the television division. Thank God for Robert and his contacts at Samsung. If it weren't for him they would probably never fix the issues that are reported by the users.
post #2992 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Liked: 10
I just had an interesting afternoon. I've been wanting to upgrade my Samsung 67" DLP since last year. I have a fairly bright living room where I watch TV so I focused on LCDs. Around Christmas I was settling on a Samsung 65ES8000 but read so many problem reports on it and other LCD TVs on this forum (and others) that I decided to wait for the 2013 model year. I really liked what I was reading about the 64F8500 plasma: none of the problems of the LCD but just as bright as a LCD. So today, I dragged my wife out to visit my local BB/Magnolia and hope that they had one in stock. They did! They had it set on the wall over a 60" LCD in a fairly dark room. I asked the nice sales-lady (Sherri) about raising the room's light level but, you guessed it, they don't have lights installed there to make it a real-world living room. My wife then asked to have the TV put on the same video feed as the LCD panel below it. After a little fiddling around Sherri was able to do it. I immediately noticed that the blacks were MUCH better on the F8500 than the LCD. The LCD looked like the brightness was set higher than it should be and the colors looked slightly washed-out compared to the plasma. It was almost as if I was looking through a thin cloud on the LCD screen that caused the dark areas of the picture to be greyish instead of blackish. Bottom line: I'm really sold on the 64F8500 now and I should be able to get one ordered in a few weeks.

Oh, as I was walking out, I decided to look at the tag on the LCD. It was a 60ES8000! I'm really glad I waited...
post #2993 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

So let me make sure I'm understanding you Robinson. Are you saying you can see pops on material that disappear when using Mighty's Cal Day settings in movie mode? His Cal Day had the Cell setting at 20, but yet the pops are gone?

Edit: I don't think you used a Cell light of 20 in your Cal Day settings in movie mode, if I read your post correctly. If not, can you try 20?

If this is the case, and it's easy for others to try on material they know causes popping, it would mean that you wouldn't even need the unlocking of the Cal modes to get rid of popping. Obviously this would be great news, but i have this feeling im missing something.

I should caution everyone that Kevin's Cal Day mode did get rid of that one instance of popping, but I'd love to see others with similar successes in their professionally calibrated displays, so we can feel confident that a professionally calibrated Cal Day is a true 'cure'. Of course the popping was still there on that one hockey clip in Cal Night mode. frown.gif

I used his 'cal night' settings in moviemode and saw no pops (thats cell@10). I ll check to see if I see pops using his 'cal day' settings in moviemode tonight. I also did not see pops, when I used my settings with cell@10, thats what I was trying to say... Your right, that even thought you can put in the same settings for 'cal day' in moviemode, its not exactly the samething as putting 'cal day' settings in caldaymode... (its not an option for me, wo pro-calibration/surgery)

Yea, I need to watch more hrs of ice, to see if there any pops using mouse's 'cal day' settings in moviemode, to know for sure. Like you said about Millers cal day settings in cal day mode...

Whenever we all get a cure for pops, it will be relaxing & really nice if we can find settings wo having to get pro-calibration/surgery to back of tv on our own...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2994 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Great news guys! Robert emailed me saying there will be a firmware update coming shortly, that addresses the brightness fluctuations as well as any floating black issues you may have seen. It might even bring about a lower MLL, but let's wait and see.

Robert went on to say that Samsung (as well as Panasonic) have been great in listening to and responding to complaints that he's brought up from our discussions here. IMO, if this popping can be fixed, this will be the display to beat. From what I've seen, it may be that already!

I can't say enough about the work that Robert has done behind the scenes to make a great display even better!

Beauty Clark.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2995 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Guys, don't get hung up on the version # of the update, that may change. Please don't start calling Samsung asking for version xxxx for the same reason, numbers may change.

I had edited my post, but some may have quoted it before I deleted the version #. Sorry for any confusion.

Would you have to do the current firmware update & this new one coming up. or Will the new firmware update coming up include all previous firmware updates from the past...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #2996 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

Would you have to do the current firmware update & this new one coming up. or Will the new firmware update coming up include all previous firmware updates from the past...

Generally firmware updates tend to be cumulative as they usually wipe what's existing and rewrite with the new firmware. So there are usually no prerequisites when it comes to firmware updates.

Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Harmony One remote
post #2997 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Jack, I agree with everything you said about the F8500. I love this TV but the brightness fluctuations are too much for me. As you said, yes I could take away the contrast and have them go away but like you said, hiding a problem is the wrong answer. I bought it for the brightness. And to be honest, I don't really care about this MLL business. I am happy with the blacks. Never had owned a plasma before, this was a huge change for the better. This tv is going back but I am very torn about sending it back. When ken mentioned the firmware update I swear I reached for my phone and almost called to cancel. But I decided I am just going to send this one back and wait to see what the update has to offer. If it fixes it Chris from Cleveland Plasma will be getting a call from me. biggrin.gif

Well, it's now or never, so I've decided it's best to do the same. I'll be checking in to see how the firmware upgrade works out. I'm new to AVS, but I really love this forum, there is nothing else like it. Truly sincere people without agendas...I wish our government was like that!

Samsung really put in a lot of effort trying to make the F8500 the best plasma ever and I think Panasonic is going to do the same with the ZT60. I'm going relax and not worry about it for a while, check in to see the comments after the shootout thing, then make a decision. Aaaahhhhh, I feel better already...I never imagined buying a new tv could be so stressful : )
post #2998 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Aaaahhhhh, I feel better already...I never imagined buying a new tv could be so stressful : )

+ about a million
post #2999 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 14
Will a firmware wipe any calibrated settings???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3000 of 12514 Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

Will a firmware wipe any calibrated settings???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It depends on what the Firmware is changing, usually they dont......
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page