Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Ooof!

If anyone just watched CNN about Boston for about an hour and a half as my wife did, caution as the IR graphic of BREAKING NEWS appears to be stuck center bottom left on my 51 even after 5 minutes of scroll IR removal.

They had it very prominent and garish white on red in typical CNN over-hyped Broadway theater style.

It is getting less so I am optimistic of it being removed completely. I shall report back.

I. Have a PN50C7000 and I know what your talking about it has IR LIKE right now but my PN60E8000 I never see anything no IR so when I get my PN 51F8500 I'm hoping it's not as bad as my PN50C7000

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Yeah she's clearing up, but wow that was a scare. the worst I have seen so far. That CNN text was really bright though...

I have about 250 hours burn in. I didn't break it in using any technique, we just use it for all types of programming, black bars, you name it, and always a blast of the IR scroll at night.
Everything we threw at it didn't cause any lingering IR until today.

Thanks CNN biggrin.gif
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Ooof!

If anyone just watched CNN about Boston for about an hour and a half as my wife did, caution as the IR graphic of BREAKING NEWS appears to be stuck center bottom left on my 51 even after 5 minutes of scroll IR removal.

They had it very prominent and garish white on red in typical CNN over-hyped Broadway theater style.

It is getting less so I am optimistic of it being removed completely. I shall report back.

I've had some IR from logos on my 64 on an occasion or two. Found watching full screen, no logo, movie for about 20 or 30 minutes removed it, even when 5 min or so of scrolling didn't.

Samsung PN64F8500 (still within return policy window and open minded)
Oppo BDP-93
DirecTV HR-24
Denon AVR 2309-CI
Definitive Technology 5.1 system
Harmony One remote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Alromero, nice shots.

Jackboots. Nice review and your in-store observations were very much like mine. BTW, the issue with dark and bright areas with some scenes, could probably be solved with a calibration.

Thanks Ken, I was thinking/hoping calibration would help with that : )
Old 04-19-2013, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Jackobots: are you using movie mode?

It's interesting that you said the f8500 looks both a little too bright and too dark at the same time, whereas the vt60 is more even and you see more details in the dark scenes. That almost sounds like the difference between movie and standard mode.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Edge lit technology is maxed out........

Robert Zohn is so high on the 55f8000, but looking through the f8000 thread, it seems there are... issues, and it's not much better than the es8000. What's up with that?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Robert Zohn is so high on the 55f8000, but looking through the f8000 thread, it seems there are... issues, and it's not much better than the es8000. What's up with that?

Wait what get out! Looking thought the Panasonic threads those sets are perfect no issues reported what so ever yeahhhhhh about that...it's your personal opinion that its not much better than the es8000 of course we have a few people here who have had both and would disagree.

Maybe I should just drop in random threads and say what's with all the issues? I thought these were the best sets 4ever. What's up with that?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 AM

Liked: 14
So today I finally had my 64" set calibrated by one of the top calibrators in the country, Mr. Jeff Meier (UMR on these forums.) Was an absolute privilege to get him scheduled during his Florida tour, and very cool to be the first F8500 he's laid his hands on! In short - his words - "It is a very impressive set."

He calibrated both my 2D and 3D Movie modes and I am absolutely blown away by the PQ. The accuracy, the clarity, the depth, the film-like presentation, all off the charts excellent! Extremely happy with the results. I won't share all of my settings here, because truthfully white balance settings in particular (and being the main portion of any calibration) do not translate exactly between sets so it would be a misleading representation of the extraordinary talent Jeff possesses (plus I didn't ask if he would be ok with it.) However, I'm more than happy to share some of his observations and comments during he calibration.

- Just to get it out of the way, he was hoping this would be a "kuro-killer" (he himself owns one but it's been out so long he'd love there to be a better plasma introduced just for a change!) but at the end of the calibration deemed it not to be, mainly because of slightly better color accuracy he's observed on the Kuro. However, he says its the best plasma he's seen otherwise, and extremely close overall, even saying that if he hadn't worked with so many Kuros over the years and known its subtleties so well it would be difficult to tell the difference, it's that close. He did think that motion, however, particularly in 24 frames with Cinema Smooth (which he had not been impressed with on previous Samsungs) was superb on the F8500 and slightly better than the Kuro, so there was a point on the board for us. :-) But again, don't despair, the differences were all subtle, not significant. He was still very impressed with the F8500.

- In his expert opinion this is the best 3D of any TV, plasma or otherwise - period. He says Samsung plasma always does it better but this is the best of the best. Clear, zero crosstalk, bright, and just... Correctly executed.

- He expects it will be better than the ZT60.

- In terms of black levels he measured .002 with Optimizer in Dark Room and .005 in bright room. At first he calibrated with Dark Room, but during post measurement adjustments identified that Dark Room clips at near black, limiting white to come through in the low end and effecting flesh tones and overall color hues. This was clearly noticeable by all three of us in attendance. Bright room ended up being the better option to give a much more accurate picture still with awesome blacks (the difference in black level in bright room was measurable but in practical viewing not noticeable given the accurate greyscale calibration. The change in hues in dark room was definitely noticed though.)

There was a ton of other stuff too but these are a few things that come to mind as i write this at 2am. :-P Any questions let me know! I'll be here... Probably watching a movie and drooling at the best PQ I've ever owned. Thanks Jeff, and thanks Samsung!!

On a side note, I also had him calibrate my audio (Integra 50.1 amp with LSi series Polks all around and Monster & KLH subs) and I can't believe how incredible things sound, he knows his stuff! My system has never sounded better!

Here are my post-calibration video results (after measured adjustments. There was still some manual tweaking performed after this.) By the way, my post-calibrated contrast ratio was over 10000:1. And again, he set "bright room" for my black optimizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
funkahdafi likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 AM

Liked: 10
Well I just bought the 51f8500 and I am having some weird issues. Here are the problems I am having:

1. I have the TV connected to Uverse receiver and if I use the Uverse remote to turn the TV on, most of the time the picture settings are not the same when the TV was turned off. For example I am using Movie mode and if I turn the tv off and then back on in a minute it seems that the tv is now in Standard mode. But in the menu its still showing Movie. If I turn just the tv off with the Samsung remote and turn it back on with the Samsung remote, it goes to the Movie setting just like it should.

2. While the a above is happening, if I make changes to the picture settings, none of the settings do anything. For example, if I change the color temp to any of the options, it does not do anything. No changes. Once I shut the tv off and turn it back on with the Samsung remote, then everything is back to normal.

This is very confusing and I don't know why its doing that. If anyone has ideas, please post.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbtt View Post

Well I just bought the 51f8500 and I am having some weird issues. Here are the problems I am having:

1. I have the TV connected to Uverse receiver and if I use the Uverse remote to turn the TV on, most of the time the picture settings are not the same when the TV was turned off. For example I am using Movie mode and if I turn the tv off and then back on in a minute it seems that the tv is now in Standard mode. But in the menu its still showing Movie. If I turn just the tv off with the Samsung remote and turn it back on with the Samsung remote, it goes to the Movie setting just like it should.

2. While the a above is happening, if I make changes to the picture settings, none of the settings do anything. For example, if I change the color temp to any of the options, it does not do anything. No changes. Once I shut the tv off and turn it back on with the Samsung remote, then everything is back to normal.

This is very confusing and I don't know why its doing that. If anyone has ideas, please post.

Thanks

for item 2... someone else on here had similar issue. call samsung and they should be able to fix via remote connection.... at least it sounds like a similar issue with the settings. he couldnt get cool, standard, warm 1 & 2 to make any difference, they all looked the same and samsung fixed that remotely. dont know tho... if its in relation to your first question??!

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598
Old 04-20-2013, 01:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

So today I finally had my 64" set calibrated by one of the top calibrators in the country, Mr. Jeff Meier. Jeff is known as UMR at AVS.
Thanks for your calibration report. It's the second one that has been posted, A link to your report is included in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Did UMR (Jeff) work on your audio?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1638
Quote:

I think the F8000 is a very nice display. I've seen it alongside of some very nice plasmas and it holds up very well. I think Samsung did a better job with the edge lit tech on that display than their prior models. It's biggest disadvantage is the limited viewing angle.

As to complaints, go to any display thread and you'll find tons of those. There were many complaints on the Kuros back in the day. Once I stopped considering the F8000, I stopped reading that thread.

But what's the point of discussing the F8000 in an F8500 thread? If you're interested in that display, that's where I'd discuss issues.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Quote:

I think the F8000 is a very nice display. I've seen it alongside of some very nice plasmas and it holds up very well. I think Samsung did a better job with the edge lit tech on that display than their prior models. It's biggest disadvantage is the limited viewing angle.

As to complaints, go to any display thread and you'll find tons of those. There were many complaints on the Kuros back in the day. Once I stopped considering the F8000, I stopped reading that thread.

But what's the point of discussing the F8000 in an F8500 thread? If you're interested in that display, that's where I'd discuss issues.

Funny but when I was making my decision on which TV I was going to pick I was a avid reader of both this thread/"F8500 The New Standard" thread and the ST60 thread and due to habit and curiosity I still check the ST thread and believe me they're having issues and complaints also, just the nature of the game and its just not a perfect science.
As for Robert and VE I had quite the opposite feeling when I was there, I had the distinct feeling they were high on the plasmas (Panasonic and Samsungs) and occupied the showroom's preferred display locale, not to mention seeing multiple sets actually calibrated is something I have never seen in my area made it even more enjoyable.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So today I finally had my 64" set calibrated by one of the top calibrators in the country, Mr. Jeff Meier. Was an absolute privilege to get him scheduled during his Florida tour, and very cool to be the first F8500 he's laid his hands on! In short - his words - "It is a very impressive set."

He calibrated both my 2D and 3D Movie modes and I am absolutely blown away by the PQ. The accuracy, the clarity, the depth, the film-like presentation, all off the charts excellent! Extremely happy with the results. I won't share all of my settings here, because truthfully white balance settings in particular (and being the main portion of any calibration) do not translate exactly between sets so it would be a misleading representation of the extraordinary talent Jeff possesses (plus I didn't ask if he would be ok with it.) However, I'm more than happy to share some of his observations and comments during he calibration.

- Just to get it out of the way, he was hoping this would be a "kuro-killer" (he himself owns one but it's been out so long he'd love there to be a better plasma introduced just for a change!) but at the end of the calibration deemed it not to be, mainly because of slightly better color accuracy he's observed on the Kuro. However, he says its the best plasma he's seen otherwise, and extremely close overall, even saying that if he hadn't worked with so many Kuros over the years and known its subtleties so well it would be difficult to tell the difference, it's that close. He did think that motion, however, particularly in 24 frames with Cinema Smooth (which he had not been impressed with on previous Samsungs) was superb on the F8500 and slightly better than the Kuro, so there was a point on the board for us. :-) But again, don't despair, the differences were all subtle, not significant. He was still very impressed with the F8500.

- In his expert opinion this is the best 3D of any TV, plasma or otherwise - period. He says Samsung plasma always does it better but this is the best of the best. Clear, zero crosstalk, bright, and just... Correctly executed.

- He expects it will be better than the ZT60.

- In terms of black levels he measured .002 with Optimizer in Dark Room and .005 in bright room. At first he calibrated with Dark Room, but during post measurement adjustments identified that Dark Room clips at near black, limiting white to come through in the low end and effecting flesh tones and overall color hues. This was clearly noticeable by all three of us in attendance. Bright room ended up being the better option to give a much more accurate picture still with awesome blacks (the difference in black level in bright room was measurable but in practical viewing not noticeable given the accurate greyscale calibration. The change in hues in dark room was definitely noticed though.)

There was a ton of other stuff too but these are a few things that come to mind as i write this at 2am. :-P Any questions let me know! I'll be here... Probably watching a movie and drooling at the best PQ I've ever owned. Thanks Jeff, and thanks Samsung!!

Interesting stuff Elvamir, especially that Jeff thinks it will be better than the ZT60 after having calibrated your set. I am surprised about the differences between Dark Room and Bright Room. I don't think Kevin saw that and I don't recall it having that significant a difference.

But as you said, the visible difference in black levels between the two are hard to pick up. Of course some would argue that statement violently and I've been attacked for simply suggesting that the difference between .002 and .001 are virtually invisible except in a totally darkened room and then only with a full screen black. I've grown tired of chasing numbers, I'd rather chase visible PQ.

Relative to the Kuro and having owned them, here are my thoughts. I feel the Kuro bests the F8500 in essentially one area, measured black levels. Again, will you really see that difference as the MLLs of the F8500 are already so good? Couple that with the fact that many Kuros displayed a non-neutral, slightly reddish tinged black as opposed to the neutral 8500 black, and it makes the visible difference in this area even more debatable.

The color differences, as Jeff acknowledged, are so subtle that they'd be really tough to pick up and then, as Jeff stated, only by a calibrator who has done tons of Kuro calibrations. However in areas where the 8500 beats the Kuro, I think in addition to them being measurable, they are more visible than the differences in MLLs or color.

Brightness differences and the resulting headroom it brings with the 8500, are blow away. To my eyes this creates, for lack of a better phrase, a far greater 'dynamic contrast ratio'. It's just so obvious IMO.

Jeff also acknowledged the better motion handling, a very important part of movie enjoyment unless you enjoy the staccato effect of judder...I don't. wink.gif

3D, the Kuro didn't have it, period. For me no biggie, I'm not a fan, but many do enjoy it and you can't get it on any Kuro.

I've said it before, I would take an 8500 over a Kuro in a heartbeat because I simply feel the overall PQ is better. Some would obviously disagree. But in the end, the silliness of these discussions is that you can't buy a Kuro today even if you did think it was the best. But you can buy an F8500. smile.gif
Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

If you have the 10pt off, is it completely off. or is it just on default settings. If I were to turn 10pt wb on, but leave the settings at the default settings. Is that the same thing.

There is no measurable difference.

Quote:

Is Bright Room being used in all modes? The difference between .002 and .005 in a lighted room would be negligible. How about in a totally dark room? .005 Foot Lamberts minimum light level is a 60% drop in contrast from .002 and there is a high probability it would noticeable if the same relative black levels are applied to ANSI Contrast (measured with a black and white checkerboard pattern).

Thank you for the information you provided - very interesting. I'm quite sure Jeff uses his own software and this was a calibration at which I would have loved to have been an observer.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 04-20-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Funny but when I was making my decision on which TV I was going to pick I was a avid reader of both this thread/"F8500 The New Standard" thread and the ST60 thread and due to habit and curiosity I still check the ST thread and believe me they're having issues and complaints also, just the nature of the game and its just not a perfect science.
As for Robert and VE I had quite the opposite feeling when I was there, I had the distinct feeling they were high on the plasmas (Panasonic and Samsungs) and occupied the showroom's preferred display locale, not to mention seeing multiple sets actually calibrated is something I have never seen in my area made it even more enjoyable.

I agree Pinger. Robert has always been a plasma guy. He felt the F8000 did some things better than any edge lit model he's seen, but I don't think he'd pick it over a great plasma. Lets face it, the F8000 is not a Sharp Elite if we're talking about the world of LEDs.

Your observations of the complaints in the ST60 threads don't surprise me in the least. That will be seen in the ZT60 thread down the road too, no question. Complaints will even be seen in the......wait for it.......OLED threads when they arrive!!! Whod'a thunk?? wink.gif

Some people just pick and choose which display they'll comment about in terms of 'complaints' they've seen. All displays, bar none, will have many complaints in those threads.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:

So today I finally had my 64" set calibrated by one of the top calibrators in the country, Mr. Jeff Meier. Jeff is known as UMR at AVS.
Thanks for your calibration report. It's the second on that has been posted, A link to your report is included in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

Did UMR (Jeff) work on your audio?

Oh yes, and it's never sounded better.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------ View Post

If you have the 10pt off, is it completely off. or is it just on default settings. If I were to turn 10pt wb on, but leave the settings at the default settings. Is that the same thing.

There is no measurable difference.

Quote:

Is Bright Room being used in all modes? The difference between .002 and .005 in a lighted room would be negligible. How about in a totally dark room? .005 Foot Lamberts minimum light level is a 60% drop in contrast from .002 and there is a high probability it would noticeable if the same relative black levels are applied to ANSI Contrast (measured with a black and white checkerboard pattern).

Thank you for the information you provided - very interesting. I'm quite sure Jeff uses his own software and this was a calibration at which I would have loved to have been an observer.

Yes he used his own software along with some very great equipment. Was a thrill to watch, he's a mad scientist. (In the best way !)

In regards to blacks, we did the entire calibration in a dark room at night, so certainly on test patterns the difference between bright and dark room was noticeable, we saw that when he did his measurements. But in practical viewing it was still negligible to the eye, and I was not wanting for additional blacks in the picture. The life it had in bright room, however, as colors were able to present better and more accurately definitely made a difference. It was the clear choice.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alromero81 View Post

This is my first time posting here. Just wanted to post a few pics of this set for those who were asking earlier in the thread. I have had my f8500 for about 3 weeks now. I am still amazed by the PQ and have been very happy with this set so far. I am using Standard instead of Movie mode as that seems to have the brightest picture and I have a very bright room. I have made adjustments to the CMS and 2 pt WB using Chromapure and an i1display pro meter. One of the pics is a commercial with black background and vibrant colors. I think it really shows how black the picture can be while still producing bright colors. The rest of the pics are both bright and dark scenes from Snow White and the Huntsman during bright daylight conditions.

Very nice and vibrant pics. congratulations on having a wonderful set

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Interesting stuff Elvamir, especially that Jeff thinks it will be better than the ZT60 after having calibrated your set. I am surprised about the differences between Dark Room and Bright Room. I don't think Kevin saw that and I don't recall it having that significant a difference.
It surprised as as well, our eyes couldn't deny it to be true. The particular scene during test where this was first noticed was in Casino Royale, near the beginning where there is a crowd around a snake pit. UMR was making tweaks and we could tell whatever he was trying to get from the picture was alluding him, until he turned off the optimizer. The picture instantly came to life as hues (especially in the area of flesh tone) came through and near black was not clipping. Further testing in other scenes confirmed this effect, and that bright room did not cause the same. A bit of a disappointment? Sure, who doesn't want the blackest of blacks, but not at the sacrifice of accurate and beautiful color. The black level is still phenomenal, more than the eye and picture needs even at night.
If all I wanted was deep blacks but with horrid side effects i would have bought an LED. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross 
Relative to the Kuro and having owned them, here are my thoughts. I feel the Kuro bests the F8500 in essentially one area, measured black levels. Again, will you really see that difference as the MLLs of the F8500 are already so good? Couple that with the fact that many Kuros displayed a non-neutral, slightly reddish tinged black as opposed to the neutral 8500 black, and it makes the visible difference in this area even more debatable.
A great observation on your part Ken, as UMR also confirmed that naturally the Kuro tinges red in the blacks like you say. He is aware of that but says for him it's any easy fix, and once calibrated out the blacks are awesome. Having seen his work on my Dad's set I can confirm this, there's zero red push in the blacks. But as we both agree, unless you either know the subtleties of that set so well or have them side by side you wouldn't notice and even in those examples the noticeable difference would be negligible. The F8500 is badass in every category - period. That's enough for me, it doesn't have to be the best in every category. My concern was whether it has problems and fails in any categories, because if it did I knew UMR would find them, but it doesn't. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross 
3D, the Kuro didn't have it, period. For me no biggie, I'm not a fan, but many do enjoy it and you can't get it on any Kuro.
3D was not a factor in my purchase at all, I agree, but now that I have it and see how amazing it is on this TV (especially after UMR's calibration of it) I find myself enjoying it for the occasional viewing for fun. Great for watching a family flick with the kids for example. But I don't take it seriously for PQ evaluation.

rickardl likes this.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM

Side note for those interested - my sets pre-calibrated settings at cell light 20, brightness 49, and 95 contrast measured 42fl light output. After cal I'm at cell 20, bright 46, and contrast 85 and hanging at about 38fl.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree Pinger. Robert has always been a plasma guy. He felt the F8000 did some things better than any edge lit model he's seen, but I don't think he'd pick it over a great plasma. Lets face it, the F8000 is not a Sharp Elite if we're talking about the world of LEDs.

Your observations of the complaints in the ST60 threads don't surprise me in the least. That will be seen in the ZT60 thread down the road too, no question. Complaints will even be seen in the......wait for it.......OLED threads when they arrive!!! Whod'a thunk?? wink.gif

Some people just pick and choose which display they'll comment about in terms of 'complaints' they've seen. All displays, bar none, will have many complaints in those threads.

I think the majority of people don't notice any issues until the visit these forums and they see something real with the TV or caused by source material and start freaking out. These tv's are a great economical buy for all the stuff they stick in them . I have been pleased with purchases.
David_B likes this.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems tv's are turning into a place to replace computers I just wonder how much time Samsung spends on developing the best PQ and how much time they spend on the smart content

Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

I think the majority of people don't notice any issues until the visit these forums and they see something real with the TV or caused by source material and start freaking out. These tv's are a great economical buy for all the stuff they stick in them . I have been pleased with purchases.
I agree 100%. Lets face it if every TV made had issues this forum would be packed, just packed.........
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbtt View Post

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

for item 2... someone else on here had similar issue. call samsung and they should be able to fix via remote connection.... at least it sounds like a similar issue with the settings. he couldnt get cool, standard, warm 1 & 2 to make any difference, they all looked the same and samsung fixed that remotely. dont know tho... if its in relation to your first question??!
I am the person that had the exact same issue. You have to do a factory reset on the panel. Menu/Support/Self Diagnosis/Reset-you will be prompted for a password which should be 0000. Once the password is entered continue with reset. The set will power off and back on. This will correct the problem. Check your color temp settings and see if the picture changes.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelt View Post

The article I posted just above yours goes into great detail on the topic:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-darbee-darblet-review . . . .

Thanks for posting the article link. I am not a gamer but it got me started reading about DARBEE. Read related Video Processors forum posts here at AVSForum.com and feedback at Amazon. Ordered a DARBEE Visual Presence DVP 5000 DARBLET HDMI High-Defintion Image Enhancer and it arrived yesterday.

Could not get a picture when DVP 5000 DARBLET inserted into the video path between my Onkyo Receiver and 60" F8500. Also failed to get a picture when DARBEE inserted in video path between FiOS CISCO DVR or Sony BLu-Ray player when they were directly connected to the F8500. Was expecting this because I was using 4' cables (AGW 24 from Monoprice). Although never mentioned in the sparse DARBEE installation instructions or on their website, DARBEE IN and OUT HDMI cables must be 6' or longer.

Replaced my 4' HDMI cables with two 9' cables and DARBEE produced picture. Tried replacing one of the 9' with a 4' and no picture. Neither short HDMI IN nor OUT worked. According to what I have read this short cable problem is caused by signal reflection in cables shorter than 6' and is not exclusive to the DARBEE. Have ordered 6' cables from Monoprice to replace all my HDMI cables that are shorter than 6'.

My wife and I agree that the DARBEE works as claimed. The improvement is consistent with the images in the DARBEE gallery at http://darbeevision.com/gallery when compared using Demo mode. We tried using the DARBEE with different per cent age enhancement settings. For now we have settled on 60%. I have ordered an HDMI splitter that I will use to send video to two F8500 HDMI inputs, so I can compare the same input signal thru the DARBEE and thru just an HDMI cable. Demo mode is useful but the DARBEE is still in the signal path, even if it is just passing through the signal.

We believe that the DARBEE improved the PQ for SD, HD, HD 2D -> 3D, and 3D. We were particularly impressed by the PQ improvement in 3D. I don't own any games or Blu-Ray disks and few DVDs. Viewing my HQV Silicon Optix Benchmark DVD in DARBEE Demo mode showed consistent improvement in PQ for all images and non-test pattern tests. Test patterns looked the same, as they should. Watched DARBEE enhanced FiOS TV live, DVR recorded, and On-Demand and liked all of them. HBO and Starz On-Demand offer 3D movies free to subscribers. Watched Spider-Man and scenes from John Carter in 3D. Both were better to watch with DARBEE enhancement.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

Thanks for posting the article link. I am not a gamer but it got me started reading about DARBEE. Read related Video Processors forum posts here at AVSForum.com and feedback at Amazon. Ordered a DARBEE Visual Presence DVP 5000 DARBLET HDMI High-Defintion Image Enhancer and it arrived yesterday.

Could not get a picture when DVP 5000 DARBLET inserted into the video path between my Onkyo Receiver and 60" F8500. Also failed to get a picture when DARBEE inserted in video path between FiOS CISCO DVR or Sony BLu-Ray player when they were directly connected to the F8500. Was expecting this because I was using 4' cables (AGW 24 from Monoprice). Although never mentioned in the sparse DARBEE installation instructions or on their website, DARBEE IN and OUT HDMI cables must be 6' or longer.

Replaced my 4' HDMI cables with two 9' cables and DARBEE produced picture. Tried replacing one of the 9' with a 4' and no picture. Neither short HDMI IN nor OUT worked. According to what I have read this short cable problem is caused by signal reflection in cables shorter than 6' and is not exclusive to the DARBEE. Have ordered 6' cables from Monoprice to replace all my HDMI cables that are shorter than 6'.

My wife and I agree that the DARBEE works as claimed. The improvement is consistent with the images in the DARBEE gallery at http://darbeevision.com/gallery when compared using Demo mode. We tried using the DARBEE with different per cent age enhancement settings. For now we have settled on 60%. I have ordered an HDMI splitter that I will use to send video to two F8500 HDMI inputs, so I can compare the same input signal thru the DARBEE and thru just an HDMI cable. Demo mode is useful but the DARBEE is still in the signal path, even if it is just passing through the signal.

We believe that the DARBEE improved the PQ for SD, HD, HD 2D -> 3D, and 3D. We were particularly impressed by the PQ improvement in 3D. I don't own any games or Blu-Ray disks and few DVDs. Viewing my HQV Silicon Optix Benchmark DVD in DARBEE Demo mode showed consistent improvement in PQ for all images and non-test pattern tests. Test patterns looked the same, as they should. Watched DARBEE enhanced FiOS TV live, DVR recorded, and On-Demand and liked all of them. HBO and Starz On-Demand offer 3D movies free to subscribers. Watched Spider-Man and scenes from John Carter in 3D. Both were better to watch with DARBEE enhancement.

I have a Darbee connected to my 55B8000. It is set in between the TV and an Oppo93. Originally, I had the same problem. The Darbee did not work. I had plugged in a 3' HDMI cable from the player to the Darbee. When I exchanged the 3' for a 6', the Darbee worked perfectly and beautifuly. I love it. Mine is set at Green 70%.

m

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

I am the person that had the exact same issue. You have to do a factory reset on the panel. Menu/Support/Self Diagnosis/Reset-you will be prompted for a password which should be 0000. Once the password is entered continue with reset. The set will power off and back on. This will correct the problem. Check your color temp settings and see if the picture changes.

initially had the same issue w/ color temps not adjusting as well. downloading the latest fw cured it for mine.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post

I have a Darbee connected to my 55B8000. It is set in between the TV and an Oppo93. Originally, I had the same problem. The Darbee did not work. I had plugged in a 3' HDMI cable from the player to the Darbee. When I exchanged the 3' for a 6', the Darbee worked perfectly and beautifuly. I love it. Mine is set at Green 70%.

m

So why would I want this are these designed more for older tv's??? My tv already has a great picture it seems to me that source material is the problem my
TX-NR 818 does this I can upscale content is the Darbee like this. Everyone seems to want to get into the act of video processing.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It surprised as as well, our eyes couldn't deny it to be true. The particular scene during test where this was first noticed was in Casino Royale, near the beginning where there is a crowd around a snake pit. UMR was making tweaks and we could tell whatever he was trying to get from the picture was alluding him, until he turned off the optimizer. The picture instantly came to life as hues (especially in the area of flesh tone) came through and near black was not clipping. Further testing in other scenes confirmed this effect, and that bright room did not cause the same. A bit of a disappointment? Sure, who doesn't want the blackest of blacks, but not at the sacrifice of accurate and beautiful color. The black level is still phenomenal, more than the eye and picture needs even at night.
If all I wanted was deep blacks but with horrid side effects i would have bought an LED. :-)

Thanks for the report elvamir. So black optimizer has three options, off, bright room, and dark room, and off gave the best results? Did Jeff calibrated with it off, then turned it on for viewing, or calibrated with it on, then turned it off?

(anyhow, I would definitely prefer slightly higher blacks for a better overall picture. It's how I feel about all "enhancements". If they actually work w/o negative side effects, they'd be baked into the tv, right smile.gif

Did Jeff make changes to the cms? How close were colors out of box?

Did you see any brightness pops pre or post cal?

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread