Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 112 - AVS Forum
First ... 110  111  112 113  114  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 11:33 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

We had a guy in the vt50 thread get three sets with one wierd issue and we thought he was crazy till he posted the pics...somehow the store he was dealing with got a bad batch and he was one of the unlucky ones to return it and get the same 'rare' problem 3 times in a row.

Maybe you are similarly unlucky?

"Maybe you are similarly unlucky?"

It seems to be the nature of "my" game.

ljmart's Avatar ljmart 11:35 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

my PN60E8000 does the same thing at first i didn't know what the fuss was untill i walked up like you say 2 feet or less and look down in my case you don't see it and there it is but this is not a game changer. this viewing angle is not normal and anyone saying it's a flaw and unusable that is too Bad side angle are unaffected i also read that panasonic does the same thing. I'm still going to get this TV as it is incredibly nice.

yeah, i had the e7000 for about two months and didnt notice it... the f8500 definitely has better antireflective properties than the e did, so i would say it is more noticeable. but ONLY when up close! so its doing what its supposed to do!! it is one beautiful tv i might add!
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 11:39 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Can you share the link please?
is it full HD?

Yes its in Full HD, Ill PM you with a link smile.gif
Pinger's Avatar Pinger 11:41 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

+1 I owned the set briefly and found the vertical viewing angle issue completely unacceptable. For this reason and because the audio from the builtin speakers was mediocre at best, back it went. I'll be getting the 55" vt60.

I've had my 51f8500 for almost 3 weeks and the horizontal filter has been a complete non-issue, if it was I would have returned it with no hesitation. At 8 feet from the tv you'd have to be sitting on the ceiling to see any difference lol..
If you rather not go for the brightest plasma ever with a sharper picture because of what has been obviously a non-issue that's your choice, I say obvious because I can't remember reading of one owner returning their F8500 because of its horizontal filter.

Edited: mistakenly wrote vertical when I meant horizontal (filter)
ljmart's Avatar ljmart 11:47 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

I've had my 51f8500 for almost 3 weeks and the vertical filter has been a complete non-issue, if it was I would have returned it with no hesitation. At 8 feet from the tv you'd have to be sitting on the ceiling to see any difference lol..
If you rather not go for the brightest plasma ever with a sharper picture because of what has been obviously a non-issue that's your choice, I say obvious because I can't remember reading of one owner returning their F8500 because of its vertical filter.

isnt it horizontal?? it does a great job in not reflecting every lamp in my room!
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 11:52 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I was in Best Buy yesterday and the salesman also mentioned the viewing angle on this TV. Literally from about 3-4 feet away, looking down at the TV the picture almost completely disappeared. I was pretty shocked.
I wonder what causes this, a plasma first I must say......
whiznant's Avatar whiznant 11:58 AM 04-22-2013
Quote:

+1
I have to agree, I'd love to see a dedicated discussion thread for " Owners''... Already having the F8500 myself and I'm sure other owners faster nit have to sift through post after post of comparisons, store visit opinions and which tv someone is thinking of buying..
We have the TV we want and it would be nice to have posts only dealing with settings, tweaks and help concerning only our f8500s...
yeah! +1
whiznant's Avatar whiznant 12:01 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I'm guessing CNET will review the VT60 and/or the ZT60 first and then review the F8500 so the F8500 would then be the 2nd or 3rd best tv according to them. rolleyes.gif
I've been wondering why cnet hasn't reviewed this set yet
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 12:04 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Whats even more weird is the differeing reports of the intensity of the filter. I saw the F8500 in Magnolia and walked to it and away from it and the only time I saww the filter was when I was directly on top of it too close to actually even watch the set. When I moved back beyond 4-5 feet I crouched and moved form side to side without seeing anything that wasnt showing up on otehr TVs as well.......The TV was on a stand if that made a difference and not wall mounted above the viewing angle or below it......
JL-F1's Avatar JL-F1 12:14 PM 04-22-2013
Does this set support 4:4:4 Chroma?
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:40 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Maybe I am the odd person

However..as I recall color was not a Kuro strong point...and I agree with you it was a "dimmer" TV
I remember looking at those and thinking how over priced it was

Nice picture...but it still lacked color and brightness

Fast forward to today
As I recall those Sony XBR CRT's were expensive...I seem to recall a price structure about the same as the new Samsung F8500( with a MUCH larger screen)

From what I recall of those Sony XBR CRTs...the Samsung F8500 is a better TV in every way

.I thought that Sony XBR CRT was overpriced as well...something Sony seems to like to do

Warren

The color on the Kuro was very good, but yes, brightness and punch was not a strong point. These days however, we've reached a point, kind of what I'd call the 'golden age of Kuro', where some seem to feel the Kuro was perfect in every regard. It wasn't. smile.gif
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:49 PM 04-22-2013
It might be heretical to mention it in the F8500 thread, but brightness on the Kuro is just fine for cinematic viewing.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 12:52 PM 04-22-2013
Vinnie, how many fl could the Kuro do?
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 12:54 PM 04-22-2013
I believe 55 ftl on the 111FD (the 60" panels were dimmer, at 48 ftl). It's not altogether impossible that the latter might be too low for some even in a cinematic environment, but that would only apply to an insignificant minority methinks.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:56 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

yea...those built-in 10w speakers from the vt60 are almost as good as my H.T set-up. Almost...

What are you talking about Air, I'd say those VT60 speakers are comparable to large floor standing speakers with subs all around the room! biggrin.gif
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:58 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Then it's being way too aggressively implemented! My eight year old Sony plasma does not do this at all. Not even a tiny bit. Viewing angles bothe vertically and laterally are essentially unlimited. It's a HUGE (design?) flaw of this set. One that renders it virtually unusable IMO.

How is this a 'HUGE' (design?) flaw of this set when almost all owners don't have any issues with it? confused.gif
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 01:00 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

It might be heretical to mention it in the F8500 thread, but brightness on the Kuro is just fine for cinematic viewing.

Why would it be heretical? So far calibrators ahve been lowering the brighness of the set to "normal leves (~38ftL for night viewing if I remember correctly) while day I have seen in the 40's up to the 60s) when it comes down to it, everything depends on how the set wil be used for the greater part of the time.....
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 01:03 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

I believe 55 ftl on the 111FD (the 60" panels were dimmer, at 48 ftl). It's not altogether impossible that the latter might be too low for some even in a cinematic environment, but that would only apply to an insignificant minority methinks.

I only need a measly 33fl on my 65" but I am probably a minority. biggrin.gif
Pinger's Avatar Pinger 01:04 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

isnt it horizontal?? it does a great job in not reflecting every lamp in my room!

Thank you, I corrected it, I did mean horizontal wink.gif
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 01:07 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I have seen probably 6 of these sets by now and have only noticed this standing very close to the display. At anything even approaching normal viewing distances, there is simply no visible effect from this filter. There just isn't.
ljmart's Avatar ljmart 01:09 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

Thank you, I corrected it, I did mean horizontal wink.gif

just makin sure i was understanding correctly! thx
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 01:11 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Why would it be heretical? So far calibrators ahve been lowering the brighness of the set to "normal leves (~38ftL for night viewing if I remember correctly) while day I have seen in the 40's up to the 60s) when it comes down to it, everything depends on how the set wil be used for the greater part of the time.....
Maybe I'm just trying to tread (too?) lightly. ;D Indeed, it's nice to have that headroom for the daytime.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 01:12 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

'Just fine' true, but I've seen better pop even for cinematic viewing with other displays. Until you've seen another display, not necessarily 'eye-searing', but one that simply has a better dynamic range, then it's hard to gauge the fact that you can have more pop in a cinematic way. I've seen the same thing in movie theaters. Some tend to have dim projectors and others appear much brighter, but still obviously cinematic. smile.gif
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 01:13 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

What are you talking about Air, I'd say those VT60 speakers are comparable to large floor standing speakers with subs all around the room! biggrin.gif

lol, silly me what was i thinking.
floridaman's Avatar floridaman 01:48 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

That was from 3ft or closer and either above or below the set......They have reported not seeing it when actually at normal viewing distance.
The horizontal band above the center of the screen is clearly visible from a normal viewing distance. In my case I am probably 11 feet back from the set and can see it especially in lighter backgrounds. It is starting to sound like more and more of the 64 inch sets are plagued with this issue.
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 01:56 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

The horizontal band above the center of the screen is clearly visible from a normal viewing distance. In my case I am probably 11 feet back from the set and can see it especially in lighter backgrounds. It is starting to sound like more and more of the 64 inch sets are plagued with this issue.

Floridaman, I dont believe it was you I was speaking about wink.gif

Have you asked for an exchange? Im just reporting what I saw on content when I went to Magnolia and there was for sure no band visable on the 64" there......If there was a visable band at normal distance it would have irked me to no end....
airgas1998's Avatar airgas1998 02:03 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

Have you asked for an exchange?ge? Im just reporting what I saw on content when I went to Magnolia and there was for sure no band visable on the 64" there......If there was a visable band at normal distance it would have irked me to no end....

i think he had his set just calibrated by Jeff. (umr) if so he must be willing to live with it.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 02:25 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I have seen probably 6 of these sets by now and have only noticed this standing very close to the display. At anything even approaching normal viewing distances, there is simply no visible effect from this filter. There just isn't.
No set is perfect, its still a great product. Even from a close distance I have never seen an issue like this with a plasma.
floridaman's Avatar floridaman 02:30 PM 04-22-2013
Quote:

Have you asked for an exchange? Im just reporting what I saw on content when I went to Magnolia and there was for sure no band visable on the 64" there......If there was a visable band at normal distance it would have irked me to no end....
I know you weren't referring to me. I just wanted to be clear about the behavior my set exhibits. Like you I looked at some 64 inch sets at BB and didn't see this issue. Now another user a few posts back says he has the same problem and looked at other 64 inch sets and they have the same band.
polakis's Avatar polakis 02:31 PM 04-22-2013
Yes the horizontal thin band is different. I have it too and i can see it in light backrounds from any distance
Tags: Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 110  111  112 113  114  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop