Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

These are great topics for the calibration forum. smile.gif

With all due respect, this thread consists of a plethora of things to do with the TV. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 14
I wouldn't dis that link. That recommended list and content was posted on Home Cinema Guru (a great site) by UMR, the calibrator that did my F8500 last week. After that it made it on his recommended list. I shared it here because it is awesome props for all of us who own this set to get his stamp like that. He doesn't put his reputation on the line lightly, I'm sure. He's well known and respected in the industry, plus he makes his living doing this.

On a side note, a mention in the same breath as that Sony 4k xbr is also cool. I bet that set is nutzoid awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3633 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

I

On a side note, a mention in the same breath as that Sony 4k xbr is also cool. I bet that set is nutzoid awesome.
HD

XBR = YEEAAAAAH !

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #3634 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I know Im thinking about it for my next set (whatever it may be)...Ive been looking into software and meters, making my head spin sometimes...I know there is a user in one of the Panasonic threads that did thier own......

Have you choosen a meter and software package yet?

Very quickly as this is not the place, I already have an i1Display Pro 3 (retail) and am about to purchase Calman 5 Control. I've been playing with the demo and after a bit of learning, it looks to be certainly usable and I think a pretty decent calibration will come forth...
Ph8te likes this.
post #3635 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

XBR = YEEAAAAAH !

The 55 and 65 inch have those fuinky speakers as part of the frame it looks like.
post #3636 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

I wouldn't dis that link. That recommended list and content was posted on Home Cinema Guru (a great site) by UMR, the calibrator that did my F8500 last week. After that it made it on his recommended list. I shared it here because it is awesome props for all of us who own this set to get his stamp like that. He doesn't put his reputation on the line lightly, I'm sure. He's well known and respected in the industry, plus he makes his living doing this.

The Sony is an edge lit LCD with which probably has most if not all the shortcomings of the genre'. I assume it will be in the Shootout so be patient.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3637 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Quote:

These are great topics for the calibration forum. smile.gif

With all due respect, this thread consists of a plethora of things to do with the TV. smile.gif
A plethora of something is just what I need. biggrin.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3638 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

The 55 and 65 inch have those fuinky speakers as part of the frame it looks like.

noticed that too, and i actually prefer the look of the easel frame of the samsung 4k or oled whatever it is! all in due time... my f8500 will have to suffice for a few years wink.gifwink.gif

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #3639 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

This is a retail marketing horror story so if you're squeamish move on. Keep in mind, I'm not shopping, I"m just curious.

I went into a vast (in space available) Video Only store near us to see if they had the VT60. I had already seen the F8500 across the street at BB-Magnolia. This store has a lot of space and not that much product so it should be great for checking out displays.

Except for the front glass wall, there is a western wall with one strangely placed window up high. That's the wall they've selected for their 60"- 65" displays. They have an entire row of big screen Sharp displays facing the same wall with 12' - 15' between the two rows. The have plenty of room to step back and no stacked displays.

What have they placed under that western facing window with the afternoon sun pouring in? The F8500 of course. The window was a few feet to the right and up a few feet. With the sun in my eyes, the only thing that I could tell was that the F8500 appeared to be rejecting all the light being reflected back to it from the western window. That Samsung filter does the best job I've ever seen rejecting room light.

It happened that the VT60 was on the same wall and it's filter was about as effective as I've been used to over the years. There was an unfiltered S60 near by and the VT60 was much better than the S60, but the F8500 seemed to reject everything.

I really don't know why Panasonic adds that cheap silver trim to their higher end displays. That's the only other thing I noticed today. wink.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #3640 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

well you are certainly correct about the frequent pops in hockey, however I have to disagree w/ you on the rest. my set at cell 20/cont 82 has substantially reduced the abl pop effect. it is triggered with hockey like you say, but scenes with bright sky's or skiing, snowy mountain tops etc has been reduced greatly.

Well, I assumed changing the settings would help as well, especially after reading posts offering a variety of solutions....contrast 74, cell 10 etc... but I soon came to realize it just doesn't work that way, at least not on my set.

I would ask you to try something to test your theory. When you see a pop, say with cell 20/contrast 100, replay the pop after adjusting your settings to 20/82 and see if it goes away. Pops are not recorded on your DVR, so you can replay the popping scene with any settings you desire. If your theory is correct, the pop will no longer exist.

I could not eliminate a single pop from any content where they were present, either live or recorded, at any setting.
post #3641 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I really don't know why Panasonic adds that cheap silver trim to their higher end displays.

+1
post #3642 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Well, I assumed changing the settings would help as well, especially after reading posts offering a variety of solutions....contrast 74, cell 10 etc... but I soon came to realize it just doesn't work that way, at least not on my set.

I would ask you to try something to test your theory. When you see a pop, say with cell 20/contrast 100, replay the pop after adjusting your settings to 20/82 and see if it goes away. Pops are not recorded on your DVR, so you can replay the popping scene with any settings you desire. If your theory is correct, the pop will no longer exist.

I could not eliminate a single pop from any content where they were present, either live or recorded, at any setting.

ok...I'll try that.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3643 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

This is a retail marketing horror story so if you're squeamish move on. Keep in mind, I'm not shopping, I"m just curious.

I went into a vast (in space available) Video Only store near us to see if they had the VT60. I had already seen the F8500 across the street at BB-Magnolia. This store has a lot of space and not that much product so it should be great for checking out displays.

Except for the front glass wall, there is a western wall with one strangely placed window up high. That's the wall they've selected for their 60"- 65" displays. They have an entire row of big screen Sharp displays facing the same wall with 12' - 15' between the two rows. The have plenty of room to step back and no stacked displays.

What have they placed under that western facing window with the afternoon sun pouring in? The F8500 of course. The window was a few feet to the right and up a few feet. With the sun in my eyes, the only thing that I could tell was that the F8500 appeared to be rejecting all the light being reflected back to it from the western window. That Samsung filter does the best job I've ever seen rejecting room light.

It happened that the VT60 was on the same wall and it's filter was about as effective as I've been used to over the years. There was an unfiltered S60 near by and the VT60 was much better than the S60, but the F8500 seemed to reject everything.

I really don't know why Panasonic adds that cheap silver trim to their higher end displays. That's the only other thing I noticed today. wink.gif

This should be a note for those that want\need something for a bright room wink.gif sometimes an all around performer is what is needed......THank you for your observations, its interesting they ahve it set up that way, I would think that they would try to avoid that type of set up for the displays.........
post #3644 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its onee of those things, once you see them youll always see them....I tried my hardest to have them come up on the F8500 in the Magnolia (it was set to Dynamic) and couldnt get them to show. I had a bunch of different content with dark and light alternating etc.....I am hoping I am immune to this anomoly wink.gif
post #3645 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Very quickly as this is not the place, I already have an i1Display Pro 3 (retail) and am about to purchase Calman 5 Control. I've been playing with the demo and after a bit of learning, it looks to be certainly usable and I think a pretty decent calibration will come forth...

I wouldnt say its out of palce really especially if you calibrate your own set and post the results;)

Thank you for the information Im trying to decide between the D3 and the C3 now, that if I decide to go down this rabbit hole instead of hiring someone....
post #3646 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 PM

delete
post #3647 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM

delete
post #3648 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM

delete
post #3649 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Well, after saying all that, I just eliminated a pop. A Kohl's commercial popped in relax mode with cell 20/contrast 100 and did not pop at cell 10/contrast 74.

I'm done talking. I'll leave it to the experts. I'm very happy to
...have one of those coming on Friday to calibrate my set : )
post #3650 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

Would you mind elaborating on that? For example, what does it upscale 1080p24 content to? Which audio formats does it upscale, and to what?

The ps3 upscales all video up to 1080p, I was saying the ps4 will upscale all video to 2160p. He was wanting to hear 5.1 audio but was playing the sound through f8500tv, so thats why I mentioned to use the blu ray player device instead. Since most blu ray players convert audio to 5.1 surround. If your stereo doesn't already. I forget but I think my ps3 converts audio from dvds that donot have dolby/dts hd to dolby or dts hd audio. & if its only 2 channel it converts it to 5 channel as well...

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #3651 of 12520 Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM

Liked: 13
Originally Posted by jackobots

Well, after saying all that, I just eliminated a pop. A Kohl's commercial popped in relax mode with cell 20/contrast 100 and did not pop at cell 10/contrast 74.

I'm done talking. I'll leave it to the experts. I'm very happy to
Quote:

...have one of those coming on Friday to calibrate my set : )

Yea, about a wk ago (you'd have to go back and look through the threads) some of us had a pops ice experiment & then a few days after that a couple other guys came across the same thing lowering contrast & include mouse's calibration settings...

With all of that combined a cell@10, contrast@74 got rid of the pops. Then within 24hrs of that (I think) Ken announced that samsung is going to do fix this with a firmware.

I just have gotten more used to them & they dont bother me anymore (so we ve been using the normal settings... cell@14, contrast@95, brightness@47, etc), but it will be nice when the firmware comes.

Like Bond says... Leave it to the Professionals.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #3652 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

This should be a note for those that want\need something for a bright room wink.gif sometimes an all around performer is what is needed......THank you for your observations, its interesting they ahve it set up that way, I would think that they would try to avoid that type of set up for the displays.........
The tiny panels were in the best area of their show room. My feeling is that in most cases the people working in chain stores just move iron. They could care less about what they sell even though that lack of interest isn't in their best interest. I'm talking about the managers and higher executives. They feel that they can make their quotas targeting the commodity buyers.

It's been my feeling for several years that BB has actually been selling against plasma because it was easier to push big volumes of smaller LCD panels. There was no need to provide much training, and no need to educate their customers. There was also no need to build a higher priced staff of more experienced sales people who were capable of building long term relationships with their customer base.

I don't have a bright room and I hate reflections, but the F8500 is the best I've ever seen at dealing with both problems. Sorry for the rant. Hitting BB and Video Only in the space of thirty minutes was a strain.

Calibration Resources:

post #3653 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

They could care less about what they sell even though that lack of interest isn't in their best interest. I'm talking about the managers and higher executives. They feel that they can make their quotas targeting the commodity buyers.

It's been my feeling for several years that BB has actually been selling against plasma because it was easier to push big volumes of smaller LCD panels. .

Sears seems to be going the same route, I went to our local Sears which always carried the best product lines from Samsung. Panasonic and LG but when I checked with them about the F8500 & ST60 the manager told me they won't be displaying them at all, they did have them in their warehoue and I could order one which I could pick up at the store in a couple days but I told them I wouldn't buy such a high ticket item sight unseen.. He understood completely and wasn't happy that they wouldn't be displaying any high end plasmas, the lower line plasmas were on display but not prominently, they're reasoning is they sell a lot more LEDs and feel the market for expensive plasmas is non-nonexistent in our area.. Crazy huh?? mad.gif
post #3654 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 AM

Liked: 28
Has anyone successfully used CEC with this TV and any receiver? I am shopping for a new receiver and want to make sure CEC works. So far Pioneer and Yamaha that I tried don't fully work. I guess they aren't fully Anynet compatible.
Basically, I would like to know If the receiver will show volume on screen and turn on and off components using TV remote with HDMI control set to on. Also, does Arc work so that when you run an app will the receiver change to correct setting for audio playback.

My Plasma is a PN51F8500 former 5010fd 8G Kuro owner

post #3655 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Has anyone successfully used CEC with this TV and any receiver? I am shopping for a new receiver and want to make sure CEC works. So far Pioneer and Yamaha that I tried don't fully work. I guess they aren't fully Anynet compatible.
Basically, I would like to know If the receiver will show volume on screen and turn on and off components using TV remote with HDMI control set to on. Also, does Arc work so that when you run an app will the receiver change to correct setting for audio playback.

it works perfectly with my onkyo 818.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3656 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just placed an order for PN64F8500,this is my first plazma ever.
the question:is the break in a must?
if so,which video material to use for that?any link?+any friendly guide for the process?
thanks guys.
post #3657 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 AM

^ Break in before decent calibration, sure.
Break in to avoid IR burn, possibly. I've just been watching a mix of source material and each night run the scrolling bars for 5-10 minutes.
Other than a small scare with a CNN graphic (BREAKING NEWS) , where the image lasted about 24 hours after watching the channel for about two hours recently my screen is 100% fine.
post #3658 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The tiny panels were in the best area of their show room. My feeling is that in most cases the people working in chain stores just move iron. They could care less about what they sell even though that lack of interest isn't in their best interest. I'm talking about the managers and higher executives. They feel that they can make their quotas targeting the commodity buyers.

It's been my feeling for several years that BB has actually been selling against plasma because it was easier to push big volumes of smaller LCD panels. There was no need to provide much training, and no need to educate their customers. There was also no need to build a higher priced staff of more experienced sales people who were capable of building long term relationships with their customer base.

I don't have a bright room and I hate reflections, but the F8500 is the best I've ever seen at dealing with both problems. Sorry for the rant. Hitting BB and Video Only in the space of thirty minutes was a strain.

It wouldnt surprise me at all if that were the truth. as they say they are int he churn and burn mentality, which is basically part of the reason they are where they are now. If they dedicated even a small number of staff to properly train them in what they are selling to help making buying purchases, they would be in much less trouble. I have heard of stores that have these types of employess, but they are in the minority unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Sears seems to be going the same route, I went to our local Sears which always carried the best product lines from Samsung. Panasonic and LG but when I checked with them about the F8500 & ST60 the manager told me they won't be displaying them at all, they did have them in their warehoue and I could order one which I could pick up at the store in a couple days but I told them I wouldn't buy such a high ticket item sight unseen.. He understood completely and wasn't happy that they wouldn't be displaying any high end plasmas, the lower line plasmas were on display but not prominently, they're reasoning is they sell a lot more LEDs and feel the market for expensive plasmas is non-nonexistent in our area.. Crazy huh?? mad.gif

Crazy to us, but its how the market is moving and how these stores are losing busines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Well the OSD\Volume on screen should be fairly easy to get, I know many use an Onkyo that is able to do this. I know my Onkyo works with my older Samsung DLP displaying the OSD, it also gets information from my older dual format Samsung HDDVD\Blu-ray player, so when I turn it on the Input will show the name of the player......TBH though Ive neer tried controlling everything with the TV remote as Ive had a Harmony for a littel while now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

I just placed an order for PN64F8500,this is my first plazma ever.
the question:is the break in a must?
if so,which video material to use for that?any link?+any friendly guide for the process?
thanks guys.

Break in is not a must, its a choice. There are millions of people who dont do it and never have issues.
No real guide outside of watching varying content over the 1st few hundred hours not sticking to mainly any one source type (outside of full screen HD materiall without logos) for hours on end)......
post #3659 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
I'm using HDMI-CEC and ARC with my Denon AVR-3313CI and it works perfectly with power on/off, volume and mute.

I can also get it to turn the Panasonic Bluray-player on/off but unfortunately not control play/pause/skip ... need to do some more testing.

/Janus
post #3660 of 12520 Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

Your F8500

My Kuro

wink.gif

Nearly missed this, others have already commented but mine was basically out of the box settings in Standard with no tinkering with any white balance, colour space or anything. All I did was set the Contrast and brightness using the AV709 disk and that was during daylight too so mostly worthless. Anyway, your Kuro looks nearly as good as the F8500 in that shot wink.gif

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page