Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 12844 Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Rocket View Post

Using LED's for bias lighting works OK as long as you're not watching 3D using active glasses. The Sylvannia LED strips from Costco flicker horribly when viewed through active 3D glasses. Way worse than 48Hz flicker.

Sorry I missed your reply. I really can't speak to flicker on them since I've not used them. The ikea ones don't make me see any flicker (or more noticeable than 48hz already has).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 12844 Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 592
Good to see an acknowledgement of the blacks issue and more so a promised fix. I would caution anyone with calibrations to be careful how you update so you don't lose your settings you paid for, in the other Samsung I owned the firmware was followed by a reset of picture settings.
post #3783 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Just got the OK to post this from Robert over at VE. Several of Samsung's top engineers were in Robert's store today (man, does he have the ear of some of these companies!) and he's got some great news!

The latest version of the firmware they loaded totally eliminated both the pops & any floating blacks some of you may have observed. Robert thought the new firmware,1017.2, might begin as early as the end of next week. Robert's version was even newer and won't yet be available. I'm not 100% certain as to whether the update you guys will receive is the 'pop eliminator', but it may be. Either way, it sure looks like it's coming. Do NOT call Samsung for this as they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

Here's the shot from the 'event' today. That's Robert & Kevin Miller in the middle and I assume one of the Samsung engineers on the right.

A big thanks to Robert for all his hard work in getting these things to happen!!!! smile.gif

Robert emphasized that you must have your display set for automatic download or you will not receive the update.

Ken, did Kevin do any evaluations on the set yet with ANSI tests or anything of the like after the latest firmware was installed or is that happening at a later date?

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #3784 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
GREAT news Ken, Thank you for informing us about the progress. Hopefully the firmware will solve the issues that are bothering some owners. Happy for them.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #3785 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 AM

Liked: 14
Thanks Ken great news! Lets hope the tv will be now a true killer...
post #3786 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

Ken, did Kevin do any evaluations on the set yet with ANSI tests or anything of the like after the latest firmware was installed or is that happening at a later date?

I don't know if he did another ANSI test, but Robert said Kevin was very happy with what Samsung had done. I had forgotten to mention they also 'fixed and enhanced a few calibration bugs'. I assume this refers to the Cal Day & Night modes.
post #3787 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

I don't know if he did another ANSI test, but Robert said Kevin was very happy with what Samsung had done. I had forgotten to mention they also 'fixed and enhanced a few calibration bugs'. I assume this refers to the Cal Day & Night modes.

Alright, forget everything I said on the ZT vs. 8500 thread, bring on the shootout smile.gif

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #3788 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Just got the OK to post this from Robert over at VE. Several of Samsung's top engineers were in Robert's store today (man, does he have the ear of some of these companies!) and he's got some great news!

The latest version of the firmware they loaded totally eliminated both the pops & any floating blacks some of you may have observed. Robert thought the new firmware,1017.2, might begin as early as the end of next week. Robert's version was even newer and won't yet be available. I'm not 100% certain as to whether the update you guys will receive is the 'pop eliminator', but it may be. Either way, it sure looks like it's coming. Do NOT call Samsung for this as they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

Here's the shot from the 'event' today. That's Robert & Kevin Miller in the middle and I assume one of the Samsung engineers on the right.

A big thanks to Robert for all his hard work in getting these things to happen!!!! smile.gif

Robert emphasized that you must have your display set for automatic download or you will not receive the update.

Beauty Clark.

JVC rs4810 (115)
Pioneer Kuro-9gen (50)
Oppo 103d
Marantz sr7001
Klipsch rb81/rc62/rs52
post #3789 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Robert emphasized that you must have your display set for automatic download or you will not receive the update.]

+1
Thanks Ken,
Great news. Got to love Robert, such a nice man and just reaffirms my earlier statements of supporting your locally owned Brick and Mortor vs online sellers(Cleveland Plasma excluded of course).. Robert has done more for us then Amazon or any other online seller, I'm proud to say I purchased my F8500 from Robert and Wendy, they are just good people with our interests at heart..
Ken Ross likes this.
post #3790 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Thanks, Ken. You just save me a wasted trip to Port Charlotte this morning.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3791 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 22
I am very happy to hear about the update. Even though my TV is going back next Monday. I would love to hear from the 64" owners after the update has been applied. Especially when watching hockey. I think I may be the only person on this forum that watches at least a little bit everyday. That is why it is so important to me. Can someone explain floating blacks to me? I think I have seen this but im not too sure. If its what i saw then yes its a bit annoying but not too bad. Thanks to Ken and Robert for working this issue.
post #3792 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can owners please state whether they have this feint horizontal band, I'm trying to gauge whether it's normal and whether to return mine for another. Thanks

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #3793 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

Can owners please state whether they have this feint horizontal band, I'm trying to gauge whether it's normal and whether to return mine for another. Thanks
Yes I have a faint horizontal band just above the center of the screen.
post #3794 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

Yes I have a faint horizontal band just above the center of the screen.

Thanks, It's good to have a show of hands because if we've all got it then it will save people the hassle of swapping

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
post #3795 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvamir View Post

I had the same issue with my Harmony remote on occasion early on in my ownership of the F8500. On occasion there would be this hdmi handshake issue between the TV and device where the Hdmi controller board gets locked up as you describe. Unplug power from your TV, wait a few seconds, then plug back in and you should be good for clearing the error. I since changed the order of device power up in my activities so the TV always powers on first and then the source and I haven't had the problem since. Apparently the Hdmi board booting first and fully before getting a signal from the connected source helps. (Knock on wood!) If you still have the issue after that maybe add a delay as well to give even more time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks, Elvamir, I will try your suggestions when I get home tonight. Only thing that has me spooked is that it had been working fine up until last night (although I did get the error message occasionally before, but it would go away after a few seconds and everything would be fine).

Much appreciated!
SJA
post #3796 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No free 3D channels 24-7 though if I am not mistaken......... Directv has 3 running right now.

Just curious, I have ESPN-3D and 3-Net on my Direct TV. What is the third free 3D channel? I don't think I've ever stumbled on it. Thanks!
post #3797 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have the faint horizontal band too. I think its there by default. We cant do anything. We must live with it. Its only slightly visible in very light backround in panning action...
post #3798 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 21
Just wanted to let those interested in the results of the calibration I had scheduled with Buzz today...we have decided to wait until after the update becomes available.

Thanks for the great news Ken...and Samsung, if you come through with this fix, you certainly will have earned quite a few brownie points with the public...take care of your customer's and they will take care of you!
post #3799 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

I am very happy to hear about the update. Even though my TV is going back next Monday. I would love to hear from the 64" owners after the update has been applied. Especially when watching hockey. I think I may be the only person on this forum that watches at least a little bit everyday. That is why it is so important to me. Can someone explain floating blacks to me? I think I have seen this but im not too sure. If its what i saw then yes its a bit annoying but not too bad. Thanks to Ken and Robert for working this issue.

Definitely not the only one. I watch hockey pretty much every day and while I'd love for them to fix the problem (and hope that they have), it's not annoying enough for me to want to return this beautiful set.
post #3800 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Just wanted to let those interested in the results of the calibration I had scheduled with Buzz today...we have decided to wait until after the update becomes available.

Thanks for the great news Ken...and Samsung, if you come through with this fix, you certainly will have earned quite a few brownie points with the public...take care of your customer's and they will take care of you!

good decision smile.gif

For those owners who have had their sets calibrated, it may be better to wait for those who havent to be the test beds for this firmware release, that way at least you will now if it blows out the settings.
post #3801 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Ken, thanks for the update. Hopefully this also fixes any potential issue some were seeing with dark optimizer turned on.

post #3802 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arena at what distance where those pictures you took over at avforums? Looks like they may be cropped so I was unable to tell....
post #3803 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 169
A quick question for all those who have had professional calibration who use an external source;

Is the preferred input set to RGB or ycbcr?
post #3804 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Arena at what distance where those pictures you took over at avforums? Looks like they may be cropped so I was unable to tell....

About 3 - 4 feet away from the screen

post #3805 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About 3 - 4 feet away from the screen

Ok becaseu we ahve seen the same effect (go back to the beginning of this thread) on previous pictures when that close as well, they didnt see this band however when at thier regular viewing disatance.......That band looks to be the filter at work and I think would be considered "normal" at that distance, not so sure once you get out, it may depend on te angle you are at to the TV....
post #3806 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 10
Since this TV has been out for awhile, how is the overall IR for this TV?

I ask because I game a good bit (4 to 5 hour sessions arent uncommon) and I dont have much experience with a plasma. I will be looking at the 64". Its time to move my trusty 61A750 DLP to another room.
post #3807 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No free 3D channels 24-7 though if I am not mistaken......... Directv has 3 running right now.

Fios has a 3d Sports channel.
post #3808 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Ok becaseu we ahve seen the same effect (go back to the beginning of this thread) on previous pictures when that close as well, they didnt see this band however when at thier regular viewing disatance.......That band looks to be the filter at work and I think would be considered "normal" at that distance, not so sure once you get out, it may depend on te angle you are at to the TV....

I sit 10 feet away just about central to the TV, the only time I notice this in normal viewing is fast vertical panning shots against a white background, it's not noticeable during slow pans, horizontal ones or any other coloured backgrounds but it is there and it is noticeable under that one certain set of conditions.

post #3809 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:

good decision smile.gif

For those owners who have had their sets calibrated, it may be better to wait for those who havent to be the test beds for this firmware release, that way at least you will now if it blows out the settings.

Exactly what I was thinking Ph8te. Now I'm a little bummed that I was in such a hurry to get my set calibrated. It's just that they were touring in my area and I had no idea when they'd be back. Que sera sera I guess. In any event, I haven't really been affected by pops or floating blacks so I don't think this upgrade will address any of my issues since I don't have any issues. Also, some people have mentioned that there might have been more adjustments made to my set than were provided in my CALMAN report. So if the update does reset all my settings, and I can only set the settings back to the settings in the report, it may not get me all the way back to calibrated. Too much of a risk after just having paid so much for the calibration. I guess when I get home, I'll actually have to turn automatic updates OFF. It's a shame though...the ever present OCD side of my brain is never going to be happy without the latest firmware on my set.
post #3810 of 12844 Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuck View Post

Since this TV has been out for awhile, how is the overall IR for this TV?

I ask because I game a good bit (4 to 5 hour sessions arent uncommon) and I dont have much experience with a plasma. I will be looking at the 64". Its time to move my trusty 61A750 DLP to another room.

As an owner of many plasma's over the years....excellent...not an issue : )

BUT...it's best to not do a lot of gaming the first 100 hours or so....try to avoid too many static images early on.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page