Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

found it... go to support, self diagnosis, picture test, after pict shown, then select 'yes'... will then show all the info

Your correct ljmart, just did as you described and it is the 1101.2 fw.. thanks bro smile.gif

sidenote, we(wife, myself, daughters and their BFs) finally opened and assembled the 4 pairs of 3D glasses tonight and checked out the 3D movies in SmartHub and we were all WOWed, the detail in the ocean and African movies were truly amazing ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Our Kuro power plug has been plugged for five and a half years. So far, no plugging problems. We worry, if we ever do unplug our plugged Kuro, that it will effect it's black levels and that it will introduce red tint into it's blacks. eek.gifbiggrin.gif

LOL! biggrin.gif
post #4413 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Was raining today, could not work on my Florida tan frown.gif

Sad, I always feel bad for my northern guests when it rains...at least it will be springtime when you get back home smile.gif
post #4414 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I did NOT say it was OK for others. It was fine for me and fine for the overwhelming majority of owners. I don't know why you insist on putting words in my mouth.

And what are my opinions on 'how to set sharpness'?

BTW, if you insist on 'science', I see nothing that indicates "THX" is science. These are the same guys that "THX certified" the display you love to knock for color. Yeah, THX, right.

You did not say it was OK for others yet in the same sentence you say it's fine for others. Have you taken a poll? You answered your own question.

Knock THX all you like. I suppose you prefer ISF, you know, the organization that all BestBuy calibrators are associated with.

Sharpness? Here ya go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

If Sharpness is left at a setting where ringing is present on a test pattern, ringing will also be on content. You might not see it, but it's there, and it's degrading the picture.

Quote:

I'm sure that's true, but the ringing at one click up with a test pattern is very slight. But I do think it adds a bit of 'apparent' detail to the picture. But that's just my taste.

You see, Ken, it's the same old same old. If it looks right to you than it must be right for everyone. You post I think, IMO, looks right to me, to my eyes, blah blah blah --- I post the science behind it whether you like it or not. I hope you're attending the Shootout and are willing to post how you vote, and why....

In all honesty, I adore our back and forth, but I've seen Ground Hog Day too many times....
agkss likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #4415 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Well Chads review pushed me a little closer to the F8500.....I need a versitile set as the room its going into can get very bright for most of the day. While I really wish we could ahve both high luminance and very low MLL) I know that probably wont happen until OLED hits the market.....The "dark side" still temps me though biggrin.gif goign to be a difficult decision....

It's funny how 'relative' things are. Sometimes we discuss the 8500 in a manner which sounds as if the MLLs are disappointing. Yet the MLL of the 8500 is one of the best ever measured on a flat panel. It's just that the current VT/ZT60 beats it. But even if you read the CNET review, as I recall, he said the black levels were visibly pretty close when he had the panels side by side. smile.gif
post #4416 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Even with it's weaknesses, it's still the best set I've owned, but here is what bothers me sometimes:

4) Reflections of light, off a bald man's head for example, are more pronounced. Another example, the stage lights used in a scene can be more noticeable. You will sometimes notice them reflecting off of chairs, tables, even peoples faces...and they are brighter than usual.

Put a little powder on the screen where the bald spot is...that should take care of it. biggrin.gif
post #4417 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For the record, this is my #1 issue with the set. The reflections can make complexions abnormally white and bright. Maybe the firmware update will help with that as well...we'll see. rolleyes.gif

You shouldn't have this issue with a professionally calibrated set. The flesh tones and overall color of the 8500 was a virtual dead ringer for the VT50 that Kevin Miller had calibrated.
post #4418 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You did not say it was OK for others yet in the same sentence you say it's fine for others. Have you taken a poll? You answered your own question.

Geesh, you can't see the difference between owners of the Elite and the rest of the world? Get a grip Buzzard, really, get a grip. If the owners that post here almost all report the cyan error doesn't bother them and they can't see it, should I say for YOUR edification, that the cyan error is visible to most owners? It's always hysterical to me that those that are bothered the most with the cyan error are those that don't own the display and live with it day in and day out. Really funny stuff. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Knock THX all you like. I suppose you prefer ISF, you know, the organization that all BestBuy calibrators are associated with.

So I see, a poorly conducted ISF calibration condemns the entire science/art of ISF calibration in general. Got it. Makes sense. You're on a roll. As I said, the Elite was "THX Certified", yet you have always been on a crusade against the 'lousy color' of the Elite. Interesting.
Quote:

Sharpness? Here ya go:

You see, Ken, it's the same old same old. If it looks right to you than it must be right for everyone. You post I think, IMO, looks right to me, to my eyes, blah blah blah --- I post the science behind it whether you like it or not. I hope you're attending the Shootout and are willing to post how you vote, and why....

In all honesty, I adore our back and forth, but I've seen Ground Hog Day too many times....

I stand by that statement. I do not see any ringing in a typical source that's adjusted 1 click up. I subscribe to the notion that if you can't see it, it's not hurting the picture. I've yet to have anyone disprove this. You disagree.

All together now, "the wheels on the bus go round and round round and round round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round...... rolleyes.gif
post #4419 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Your correct ljmart, just did as you described and it is the 1101.2 fw.. thanks bro smile.gif

sidenote, we(wife, myself, daughters and their BFs) finally opened and assembled the 4 pairs of 3D glasses tonight and checked out the 3D movies in SmartHub and we were all WOWed, the detail in the ocean and African movies were truly amazing ..

hehehe, its bro-lina!?! or whatever the counterpart would be for a girl! lol glad to help...

thats great you all had the chance to check out 3D... it truly is amazing. i'd swear the fish were actually in my living room, almost swatting at them! i have yet to try any of the other gadgets live voice commands or motion thing. still mesmerized smile.gif

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #4420 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All together now, "the wheels on the bus go round and round round and round round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round...... rolleyes.gif

awww man... i just got that d*** song out of my head !!! wink.gif

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #4421 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:

You certainly don't disappoint as your style continues on just like the bus. I've calibrated enough Elites to know that the color tracking is not good. Cyan never works. Try to get flesh tones under control by calibrating at 75% saturation and the color green goes ballistic. They quit making them for a reason, only one of which is the fact that the one month firmware fix they promised in September, 2011 was an impossibility. Yellow pixel, indeed. rolleyes.gif

Re: Sharpness. Take your observations to the calibration sub forum and see how well you do. There is only one way to set it. You know it. I know you do. smile.gif

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #4422 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You certainly don't disappoint as your style continues on just like the bus. I've calibrated enough Elites to know that the color tracking is not good. Cyan never works. Try to get flesh tones under control by calibrating at 75% saturation and the color green goes ballistic. They quit making them for a reason, only one of which is the fact that the one month firmware fix they promised in September, 2011 was an impossibility. Yellow pixel, indeed. rolleyes.gif

"THX Certified". Nuff said.

With that said, Kevin Miller seemed to have no real problems getting fabulous flesh tones and very realistic greens on my Elite. We both agreed the color looked great. Sure he could throw up a full screen cyan and make the error obvious IF we had a reference point. But hey Buzz, I watch very little full-screen cyan. You? smile.gif
Quote:

Re: Sharpness. Take your observations to the calibration sub forum and see how well you do. There is only one way to set it. You know it. I know you do. smile.gif

When the 'calibration sub forum' watches my TV for me, then I'll worry. But the last time I looked, it was me and my wife watching our TV, not the sub forum. wink.gif

P.S. Glad you like my style. cool.gif
post #4423 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

Sad, I always feel bad for my northern guests when it rains...at least it will be springtime when you get back home smile.gif
I will be back, snowbird now !!
post #4424 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well, I must admit I question the sincerity of the CNET F8500 review...for two obvious reasons:

1) The F8500 has a totally unique panel design which provides the clearest, brightest, most detailed picture ever seen on a plasma.

2) The smart interface on the set is the fastest most functional ever developed for a tv.

For CNET to not even mention those features is a big red flag, at least to me. I've lived with the set for over a month now and have a good handle of it's strengths and weaknesses If you only read their review, you would have no idea there is really anything innovative about this set, other than brightness. They did not even mention clarity, which is it's single the most impressive feature...at least to me, it's what everyone mentioned about the picture when they saw it while I was in the store.

I just don't believe that could possibly be a sincere review. For them never to use the words clarity or detail just doesn't ring true to me....they are the first and most obvious things you notice about the set when you turn it on. I may still end up with the ZT60 before it's all said and done, but I will certainly not base my decision on a CNET review...that's for !@%!&@!% sure!

Dido and + to the 1
post #4425 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

how sweet it is !! so glad you were able to get the issue resolved to actually see how wonderful this set truly is smile.gif

Yes ljmart now I know what made you decide to get one, ofcourse now so am I. Only I am going to wait for the prices to drop.
End of the year maybe then also the firmware will possibly be finalised.

Thx everyone for youre patience with me,

Rob
post #4426 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 554
Buzzard- thanks for the input from your educated eyes. You, dnice, and chad are my three favorite calibrators on this forum from what I've read over the last few years.
post #4427 of 12735 Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Hey Rob, glad to see that in your third visit and after applying the changes you saw what you wanted to see.

A big thank you to Florida Man for his instruction on the eco sensor. I will keep that in mind too.

Hi halimali, yep me too a big thank you to Floridaman. He saved theday for me although it took 4 trips to get it right
I am totally flabbergasted by the BEAUTY and the CORRECTNESS of the picture created by the F8500.
Its really a sight for sore eyes, you just cant believe its possible so many nuances, different shades, in the face colors,
its just amazing it really makes LED/LCD look like it is dead.

I hope you will be able to get one soon, you will be amazed when you see it.

Rob
post #4428 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

That is interesting, your not the 1st person to report this either....

Well I think it depends on WHERE you look to see the firmware version. On my d8000 If you go to SUPPORT/Software upgrade and look on the right
it then says 001027. But if you go to SUPPORT/CONTACT SAMSUNG then you get a separate grey screen and IN it you see firmware version as
T-GAP8DEUC-1027.1, BT-Q/G

In other words you see more actual info if you go to the SUPPORT/CONTACT SAMSUNG item.

Rob
post #4429 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooknl View Post

Well I think it depends on WHERE you look to see the firmware version. On my d8000 If you go to SUPPORT/Software upgrade and look on the right
it then says 001027. But if you go to SUPPORT/CONTACT SAMSUNG then you get a separate grey screen and IN it you see firmware version as
T-GAP8DEUC-1027.1, BT-Q/G

In other words you see more actual info if you go to the SUPPORT/CONTACT SAMSUNG item.

Rob

dohhh, thats much easier than my method! thanks for this!

post #4430 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi halimali, yep me too a big thank you to Floridaman. He saved theday for me although it took 4 trips to get it right
I am totally flabbergasted by the BEAUTY and the CORRECTNESS of the picture created by the F8500.
Its really a sight for sore eyes, you just cant believe its possible so many nuances, different shades, in the face colors,

Rob

great description! yes can't believe how flat lcd looks compared to this. hope you can get a good price and get one sooner than later smile.gif

post #4431 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Rob

Thank you so much. I'm happy that you have seen the potential of F8500.
So is this your first plasma?

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #4432 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Thank you so much. I'm happy that you have seen the potential of F8500.
So is this your first plasma?

No not really I have had a 2008 panasonic, but was HD READY only, so it made room for a 42inch Pana VT30, but the problems
with 50HZ and fuzzy TV pictures and numerous other problems caused me to return the VT30 for a refund that was in 2011.
Then with the refund from the VT30 I bought my current Sammy PS51D8000.

The sammy has been and stil is a super nice Plasma but i have a very bright living room, so i have the need for more briteness.

Well thats where the F8500 comes in, and I am convinced I am gonna buy one, only thing that governs the actual purchase
is the pricing, the sooner they come down to what I can afford the sooner I will have one.
But knowing that the prices wwont come down before september maybe oktober I will most l;ikely have to wait till then.

Rob
post #4433 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:

dohhh, thats much easier than my method! thanks for this!

Youre welcome, glad to be of some help. Does that work on the F8500 as well then???

Rob
post #4434 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
so Samsung you can roll that fw fix out any time now. Were at the end of the week days. hello, Samsung can you hear me? your starting to worry me.eek.gif

in all seriousness I was afraid of this that it may never get published do to the vast numbers of unreported vs sales #'s. we have to remind ourselves that we are the minority here. guess I'm just being a little pessimistic this morning. maybe it's the snow that's on the ground in May.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #4435 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 AM

Another UK F8500 review this time a 51 inch.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/samsung-ps51f8500

Rob
post #4436 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

hehehe, its bro-lina!?! or whatever the counterpart would be for a girl! lol glad to help... smile.gif

Sis??? smile.gif
Quote:

Rob

Another good review except again expensive is noted as a bad??? This is a top of the line TV and on par with other companies top of the line pricing.. Also kinda baffled by the "bright whites" comment, this tv has the brightest whites I've ever seen on ANY plasmas!!
Call me crazy but Samsung could/should have dumped the voice and gesturing stuff, who really uses it and lord knows its been a thorn in its side in every review since they started adding it to their TVs..
post #4437 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Sis??? smile.gif
Another good review except again expensive is noted as a bad??? This is a top of the line TV and on par with other companies top of the line pricing.. Also kinda baffled by the "bright whites" comment, this tv has the brightest whites I've ever seen on ANY plasmas!!
Call me crazy but Samsung could/should have dumped the voice and gesturing stuff, who really uses it and lord knows its been a thorn in its side in every review since they started adding it to their TVs..

+1 on the voice and gesturing stuff.

Rob
post #4438 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Rob

They obviously loved it, but I do admit being totally confused with this statement as it runs so contrary to what I've seen. I can't imagine the picture of the 51" is so different than the 65"

"It’s fair to say that Panasonic’s top TV offerings are more dramatic in the way they render bright whites and very deep blacks, and some people will prefer that. For us, however, Samsung’s more understated approach is an equally viable alternative: it won’t draw your attention to the picture itself, but it won’t distract either, letting the film, programme or whatever else you’re watching take pride of place."

So yes, I can understand a bit better blacks, but what's up with their comments on whites? confused.gif
post #4439 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Oh trust me Mzakos, you're not alone. I've mentioned it several times. Frankly I too am stunned that people prefer the motion on plasmas as opposed to LED/LCD. When you turn your had rapidly or at a pace to mimic a camera pan, your eyes tend not to see things sharply as if you stared at something with your head stationary. To me that's not much different than how an LED/LCD handles it. But there's no way that the motion judder of a plasma mimics what the human eye sees when you turn your head rapidly. That staccato effect is just not natural at all to me.

It's something I never liked with my old plasmas and frankly totally forgot about with my Elite LED. Now that I'm looking at plasma again, I need to get used to it

I currently have a 46 inch xbr 5 and have the upgrade itch, but haven't had time to get over to magnolia to see the vt60 and 8500. Last night I was in a restaurant which had an lg 60 inch plasma and the judder was one of the first things I noticed about it. I agree Ken that it just doesn't seem natural. The other thing I noticed was the inability of the plasma to hold a stationary image constant. The image flickered and reminded me of a CRT refreshing scan lines. If both of these are inherent to plasma technology then I guess I will either have to look at an edge lit Led with their awful viewing angles or wait until oled becomes more mainstream.
post #4440 of 12735 Old 05-03-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

They obviously loved it, but I do admit being totally confused with this statement as it runs so contrary to what I've seen. I can't imagine the picture of the 51" is so different than the 65"

"It’s fair to say that Panasonic’s top TV offerings are more dramatic in the way they render bright whites and very deep blacks, and some people will prefer that. For us, however, Samsung’s more understated approach is an equally viable alternative: it won’t draw your attention to the picture itself, but it won’t distract either, letting the film, programme or whatever else you’re watching take pride of place."

So yes, I can understand a bit better blacks, but what's up with their comments on whites? confused.gif

They could be describing the contrast ratio being greater on the Panasonics, so the difference between the deepest black and "bright whites" is more dramatic as they put i....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page