Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

So, a question that may not be answered here but what is the button sequence to get into the service menu?
I wouldn't mind activating cal-day and cal-night.
I can use a harmony, as the supplied remote I presume can't do it(?)

PM welcome!!!!

You should be able to use a Harmony yes or another Samsung remote.......the sequense for all Samsuns is

Power off TV Mute 1 8 2 Power.....Please be careful in the Service Menu you can REALLY do some damage in there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
^ Thanks! Sure will. I've played around in other makes of TV's service modes including Samsung, but it's been a while.
post #633 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Liked: 169
So I have been playing with blu ray today:

I have found far superior motion results turning off 24p, playing at 60p and using the TV's Smooth Motion Judder Canceller.

Aside from the very occasional edge artifact, it's really nice smoothness, if a tiny bit artificial looking.
post #634 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Anyone here get a warranty on the new panel? I am probably going to get this warranty

That was a computer warranty...?
post #635 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

That was a computer warranty...?

Oops corrected it thanks this warranty
post #636 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:

Oops corrected it thanks this warranty
5yrs for $100? Don't see how you could go wrong.
post #637 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

5yrs for $100? Don't see how you could go wrong.

Its actually 4 years because I didnt buy TV from costco so warranty starts after initial Samsung 1 year warranty
post #638 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its actually 4 years because I didnt buy TV from costco so warranty starts after initial Samsung 1 year warranty
Still. I paid over $300 for a 3yr from Samsung.
post #639 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys, just got my 60f8500 in today. Picture looks amazing. I am trying to run dnice break in slides, and everytime the tv switches from one frame to another in the image slideshow it displays "loading" in a dark box in the top left of the screen. I presume this is a problem considering that eventually the pixels in this area will age differently that the others? I can't seem to get ride of it despite playing with the options. can any person help with this?

Also I am leaving black optimizer to dark room and motion judder to smooth....is this the agreed upon settings? Anything else I should turn on, change in settings?
post #640 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

If you use it, it was still worth every penny........
post #641 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Already did. Just replaced the 58" panel due to the notorious pink banding issue a couple of weeks ago. Still have just under 2yrs left on the warranty wink.gif
post #642 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmen911 View Post

Hey guys, just got my 60f8500 in today. Picture looks amazing. I am trying to run dnice break in slides, and everytime the tv switches from one frame to another in the image slideshow it displays "loading" in a dark box in the top left of the screen. I presume this is a problem considering that eventually the pixels in this area will age differently that the others? I can't seem to get ride of it despite playing with the options. can any person help with this?

Also I am leaving black optimizer to dark room and motion judder to smooth....is this the agreed upon settings? Anything else I should turn on, change in settings?
Are you playing the slides from a DVD or from a thumb drive? It sounds like what ever software you're using is messing up it's slide show function. By the way, there are no D-Nice settings for these displays so you can use a safe mix of full screen normal HDTV, Blu-ray or DVD material to age your set. Just minimize it's exposure to fixed images. smile.gif
post #643 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

I never used my lottery tickets. What are they worth now? eek.gif
post #644 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Already did. Just replaced the 58" panel due to the notorious pink banding issue a couple of weeks ago. Still have just under 2yrs left on the warranty wink.gif
biggrin.gif
post #645 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Its from a thumb drive, ran the exact same slides from the exact same thumb drive on my d7000---zero problems with it. I suppose I might need the dvd, although would running "scrolling" accomplish the same thing?

Reason why I'm so paranoid about IR? I play gears of war 3 fairly often, and that static shotgun image in the top right hand corner? Yeah, she left a decent mark on my old d7000.

Other side notes, this tv is BRIGHT. I figured, eh, no problem ill just keep cell light at 20 regardless of day or night time viewing bc ill prob be too lazy to change it. haha funny. as soon as I turned out the lights and turned my blackout curtain in, I couldnt hold my eyes open bc it was so nasty bright. Other thoughts on the tv? Hmm, amazing. I promise guys once you have it with some decent settings you haven't seen a better tv. Has the best of led and plasma in it. People say the zt60 will top this? yeah, ill believe that when i see it.
post #646 of 12735 Old 03-29-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Its from a thumb drive, ran the exact same slides from the exact same thumb drive on my d7000---zero problems with it. I suppose I might need the dvd, although would running "scrolling" accomplish the same thing?
You are not prepping your TV for D-Nice's settings. What you're doing is aging the pixels with safe material so that you can game with less risk later on. Full screen movies and HDTV without a lot of the same fixed images will do the best job, and you can enjoy your set right away.

Unless you don't mind the same IR on your new set, it might be a good idea to play Gears of War III for a smaller percentage of your viewing time.Maybe you could also get interested in more than one game. wink.gif
post #647 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Other side notes, this tv is BRIGHT. I figured, eh, no problem ill just keep cell light at 20 regardless of day or night time viewing bc ill prob be too lazy to change it. haha funny. as soon as I turned out the lights and turned my blackout curtain in, I couldnt hold my eyes open bc it was so nasty bright.

Cell Light should be at 20 because 20 actually = off.
It was explained last year by a Samsung tech that Cell Light 20 = off and any other lower cell settings
were unnecessary and that Contrast, Brightness, Gama should be used to lower brightness.
I agree 100% with this and have always keep Cell Light at 20.
Also it's possible ABL is increased when the Cell Light is below 20.
post #648 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 AM

Hi guys,

I currently have a Kuro lx5090, which has a great picture, but I am currently looking for something bigger and I'm considering the F8500.

Do any of your guys know, if the optical sound output (SPDIF) is variable? Can you control the volume on the TV instead of the AV-reciever when using the SPDIF?

I'm asking because I need to hook the TV directly up to a set of Beolab 5's via the SPDIF, and it's gonna be a bit loud to have it running at 100% volume all the time wink.gif
post #649 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_6 View Post

Hi guys,

I currently have a Kuro lx5090, which has a great picture, but I am currently looking for something bigger and I'm considering the F8500.

Do any of your guys know, if the optical sound output (SPDIF) is variable? Can you control the volume on the TV instead of the AV-reciever when using the SPDIF?

I'm asking because I need to hook the TV directly up to a set of Beolab 5's via the SPDIF, and it's gonna be a bit loud to have it running at 100% volume all the time wink.gif

This doesn't tell you much but here is the info from the user manual:
Quote:
Digital Audio Output
Screen Menu > Sound > Digital Audio Out
This TV is SPDIF-enabled. The Sony Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) provides digital audio output to
speakers and various digital devices, including A/V Receivers and home theaters. This feature reduces
interference and distortion.
●● Audio Format: Selects the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format. The available Digital Audio output
(SPDIF) formats may vary depending on the input source.
●● Audio Delay: This setting helps correct timing mismatches between the audio and video tracks
when watching TV and listening to audio through a digital audio device. Enabling the feature
displays a slide bar that you can use to adjust the delay by up to 250ms.
post #650 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM
RKA

Can someone please explain to me why I should care about the brightness of this panel if its calibrated corrected? Am I getting more dynamic range of of this set as a result just the same peak brightness? I feel like I'm missing something basic here. Admittedly it's been a while since I last bought a TV and after a month of catching up, this point about the 8500 panel still confuses me.
post #651 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKA View Post

Can someone please explain to me why I should care about the brightness of this panel if its calibrated corrected? Am I getting more dynamic range of of this set as a result just the same peak brightness? I feel like I'm missing something basic here. Admittedly it's been a while since I last bought a TV and after a month of catching up, this point about the 8500 panel still confuses me.

the flexibility is there for people like me, who appreciate what plasmas bring to the table. however, are usually let down in panel brightness when put in rooms other than a bat cave. I have yet been able to put a plasma in my bright living room. the f8500 "may" finally solve this.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #652 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont know if anyone can explain why YOU should care wink.gif Like with any TV you need to decide what is important to you and go from there. If you have a dedicated HT with controlled lighting it may benifit you to wait to see Panasonics offerings...Those looking for a brighter set with the benifits of the Blacks of a plasma may benifit more from the F8500 especially in bright room situations.......
post #653 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
[quote name="sonyfan" url="/t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/630#post_23143351".
Also it's possible ABL is increased when the Cell Light is below 20.[/quote]

Now that's VERY interesting... Would love to see those who have the F8500 experiment with cell light levels and see if and how much ABL is affected, it would be a great help in the white issues that concern us LCD owners who are coming over to plasmas (never cared for the duller whites in snow and hockey scenes).
post #654 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

Also it's possible ABL is increased when the Cell Light is below 20.

Now that's VERY interesting... Would love to see those who have the F8500 experiment with cell light levels and see if and how much ABL is affected, it would be a great help in the white issues that concern us LCD owners who are coming over to plasmas (never cared for the duller whites in snow and hockey scenes).

If you take a look back there were already a few tests done. ABL seems to be most agressive with the Cell Light at 16-17, when set to 18-20 its hardly noticeable (according to user reports)...........
post #655 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 AM
RKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

the flexibility is there for people like me, who appreciate what plasmas bring to the table. however, are usually let down in panel brightness when put in rooms other than a bat cave. I have yet been able to put a plasma in my bright living room. the f8500 "may" finally solve this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I dont know if anyone can explain why YOU should care wink.gif Like with any TV you need to decide what is important to you and go from there. If you have a dedicated HT with controlled lighting it may benifit you to wait to see Panasonics offerings...Those looking for a brighter set with the benifits of the Blacks of a plasma may benifit more from the F8500 especially in bright room situations.......

I don't think this really answers my question. So let me ask another way based on your answers. If you have a plasma and you've maxed out the brightness and it's still not bright enough for your viewing conditions, only then should the added brightness of the 8500 be of value to you?

I have a Pioneer 5060 in my family room (the room that will be getting the new TV). The set is watched in all lighting conditions. There are a series of tall north facing windows on an adjacent wall and back in an adjoining room a west facing window. For the most part, as long as there is no direct light reflecting off the panel, it's fine, however it does not have the pop you would see from an LCD. So if I wanted that extra pop, cranking up the brightness and adjusting contrast is the solution (both of which are nowhere near max available settings)? In my experience (based on subjective observations of my TV in my environment), that's not the solution, but I don't understand why. I'm trying to understand if the 8500 would be a contender for my situation, and what about the panel brightness is helpful.

Edit: The reason for this strange line of questioning is that I have a personal preference for Panasonic over Samsung (not worth getting into that), so I will be waiting for the ZT/VT60 to be released and for reviews to be made available. I suspect the major differentiating factor for me will be the panel brightness, however, since I can't audition and calibrate both in my living environment, the best I can do is try to understand how that extra panel brightness would or would not benefit my situation. If it's justified, I'm willing to put those brand preferences aside and go with the best technology for my situation.
post #656 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think this really answers my question. So let me ask another way based on your answers. If you have a plasma and you've maxed out the brightness and it's still not bright enough for your viewing conditions, only then should the added brightness of the 8500 be of value to you?

I have a Pioneer 5060 in my family room (the room that will be getting the new TV). The set is watched in all lighting conditions. There are a series of tall north facing windows on an adjacent wall and back in an adjoining room a west facing window. For the most part, as long as there is no direct light reflecting off the panel, it's fine, however it does not have the pop you would see from an LCD. So if I wanted that extra pop, cranking up the brightness and adjusting contrast is the solution (both of which are nowhere near max available settings)? In my experience (based on subjective observations of my TV in my environment), that's not the solution, but I don't understand why. I'm trying to understand if the 8500 would be a contender for my situation, and what about the panel brightness is helpful.

Weell if you have direct light on the TV nothing may save you wink.gif LCD panels with very bright screens are more in line with direct sunlight ect.....The F8500 COULD be mroe of a contender though for an all around room like yours becasue of the brightness it can achive and the very good black levels for when youa re not in bright room conditions.....the "pop" may be available, but I havent seen any images\reports of those who have direct sunlight on thier sets as of yet..IMO if I werein your situation it would probably be between and LCD and F8500 depending on what I valued more.....I would suggestif yu can go see the set in person and adjust the set to see if you get the results you are looking for, this is the only real way youll be able to tell if it will fit for you.......

User reports are favorable however in saying the F8500 is a good mix of both worlds (brightness of LED and Blacks of Plasma)......
post #657 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM
RKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Weell if you have direct light on the TV nothing may save you wink.gif LCD panels with very bright screens are more in line with direct sunlight ect.....The F8500 COULD be mroe of a contender though for an all around room like yours becasue of the brightness it can achive and the very good black levels for when youa re not in bright room conditions.....the "pop" may be available, but I havent seen any images\reports of those who have direct sunlight on thier sets as of yet..IMO if I werein your situation it would probably be between and LCD and F8500 depending on what I valued more.....I would suggestif yu can go see the set in person and adjust the set to see if you get the results you are looking for, this is the only real way youll be able to tell if it will fit for you.......

User reports are favorable however in saying the F8500 is a good mix of both worlds (brightness of LED and Blacks of Plasma)......

I'm not really talking about direct light. Direct light on any panel is bad news. We're really concerned with watching in a daytime environment where indirect light is aplenty. Why wouldn't I crank up the brightness on some other plasma set to reach the brightness of the 8500? Are we saying other plasmas can't reach the required level of brightness at all? Or they can, but we have to sacrifice something else in picture quality that the 8500 does not sacrifice to achieve the same level of brightness? And if so, what is that?
post #658 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I'm not really talking about direct light. Direct light on any panel is bad news. We're really concerned with watching in a daytime environment where indirect light is aplenty. Why wouldn't I crank up the brightness on some other plasma set to reach the brightness of the 8500? Are we saying other plasmas can't reach the required level of brightness at all? Or they can, but we have to sacrifice something else in picture quality that the 8500 does not sacrifice to achieve the same level of brightness? And if so, what is that?

"Are we saying other plasmas can't reach the required level of brightness"

YES, this is where the 8500 should show it's strength.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #659 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well from reports the F8500 can get brighter without clipping....The 8500 as seen by DNice can get brighter than current Plasmas on the market while still giving you the benifits of Plasma tech (better blacks and screen uniformity)....will the 8500 get as bright as an LCD no, but it may come closer than any plasma currently in production....There is almsot always a sacrifice with a brighter screen, in this case I would think your Blacks wouldnt be as "black" as they could get if you maxed the set out....I think the best thing for you would be to see the set in person to see if it is a good balance for your room...There is only so much we can say on the forum, you really need to see something to make the final determination.....
post #660 of 12735 Old 03-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

"Are we saying other plasmas can't reach the required level of brightness"

YES, this is where the 8500 should show it's strength.

It's a real possibility that after 1000 hours it could get a bit brighter.tongue.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page