Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6841 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I've been playing with my F8500 for about 12 hours now.

Buzzing: I'm sitting 11.5ft away, dead center of the screen. It's not like I can merely hear a sound introduced that is the difference between dead silence and not silent. It's highly audible, annoying, and distinct. If I lean 10" to the left, the buzzing is practically non-existent and becomes merely the difference between dead silence and not silent. If I lean 10" to the right, the buzzing becomes even more apparent, all the way until about 2ft to the right, when it becomes a non-issue again. I'm hoping I'll get used to the buzzing to the point where it wont bother me.

Handshake: My Onkyo TX-SR707 hates my F8500. I have my F8500 connected to my Onkyo's HDMI OUT. I have my PC, Bluray, and Uverse connected to my Onkyo's HDMI IN's. Receiver is set to pass-through. It took me 20 minutes to get a picture on my TV of my computer. I tried 2 different HDMI cables, and what finally did it was randomly turning on and off my receiver multiple times in a row. I then noticed my computer's image was too dark, it was in some other pixel mode, so I went into AMD's Catalyst Control Panel and set it to RGB limited. After this the TV could not bring up the image again, and said could not find source or whatever. I had to turn my receiver on and off about 10 times for the image to come back on the screen. The picture settings at least looked good now that I changed it to RGB limited. I then switched to my Bluray player input on the receiver. No picture. Turned off and on my receiver numerous times to get it to come up. Started playing a movie and noticed I didn't have any Cinema Smooth control (was curious). My Bluray was set at 60p, not 24p, so I changed it to 24p but then again, the TV said it couldn't find the source. Turned receiver on and off more than 10 times for the picture to come back up. In fact, every time I switch to a new input on my Onkyo, it says no signal. Ridiculous. I'll probably get a new Denon receiver soon, if my Onkyo is any indication of how it is going to treat newer TV sets.

Black screen: On a completely black screen, my TV is not quite uniform. There are 2 horizontal whitish bands across the screen that can be seen. Enabling black optimizer 'dark room' helps significantly.

Brightness: This TV is super bright. Changed to movie mode and cell light 16, brightness 49 (anything less and bar 17 won't flash on the AVS calibration video file), contrast 93 (still playing around). Can't see anyone ever needing a TV brighter than this.

96hz/60hz: 60hz is definitely the way to go. 96hz introduced a little too much judder. After switching back and fourth for a while, and finally leaving it on 60hz, there were some artifacts that weren't there before I started switching back and fourth. Might be my bluray player.

The only movie I've completely watched so far is Run Lola Run, with some friends. It definitely isn't anything special video quality wise, but it did look spectacular. Colors seemed spot on. Watched a bunch of Uverse also, which looked very good (for Uverse). When watching Uverse, I can set Film Mode to off, auto1, or auto2. A few searches find some people using auto1 and some using auto2. Cnet said they couldn't get 1080i sources to deinterlace properly without using auto1. I don't think I notice a different between any of them for Uverse, is that normal? I inputted pie's and then cnet's color space/white settings, but when watching John Carter the landscape looked too yellow. I changed back to default and it looked better, but a bit too red. I then changed to warm1 which made it look slightly better again.

The Smart suite is great. I've tried out the Youtube, Pandora, TED, and Web Browser. Everything was smooth, fast, and great quality. It could almost replace my computer... which I use for music and youtube/hulu/etc. I also hooked up a wireless keyboard/mouse to the USB and found it worked great.

Over the next few days I plan on watching Drive, Tron, Prometheus, the Fountain, the Fall, District 9, and Children of Men.



The only thing that would make me want to return this TV is the buzzing... I have the ferrite core installed and a Panamax power conditioner but that doesn't seem to help.

For anyone using a receiver, have you run into this crazy handshake problem and if not, what receiver are you using?

Sorry to hear about your buzzing problem. It is amazing how TVs can differ. I totally cannot hear the buz even when I put my ear on the screen. Unless I move the TV and put my head behind the screen I do not hear anything and even that is very slight and I have to wait there for couple of seconds to catch it.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6842 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I used my digital cam now. A little bit better than the phone cam. Just for the sake of comparison and how every cam can give different result
Still in real the blacks more inky and the whites are more white


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6843 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

OK so you don't get light, but what about reflections. I guess that is from the camera angle and light in the room. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is causing those reflections in the dark area. The 8500 is still on short list if ZT doesnt work out lol

There is reflection on black color but that depends on what you have in front of the TV. I have my movie library shelves located there so you can see some of its reflection on the screen. I have also all the lights on. In a dim or dark room there are no reflections.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6844 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
it looks good though. You will never get pictures of exactly what it looks like. You can get close but ultimately its viewing an image of an image through a monitor. So yeah

You will need to do manual camera settings to get your best pics usually

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
Sammie2980 is offline  
post #6845 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

There is reflection on black color but that depends on what you have in front of the TV. I have my movie library shelves located there so you can see some of its reflection on the screen. I have also all the lights on. In a dim or dark room there are no reflections.

Right which is always the case. But with any light source is where the reflections come into play. Of course not a direct light source as that will definitely give a reflection and you cannot kill that. but with a ambient light source. Thanks though those pictures are telling me a lot in regards to what had me torn. Appreciate you posting them

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
Sammie2980 is offline  
post #6846 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bargervais's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Florida
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post

Right which is always the case. But with any light source is where the reflections come into play. Of course not a direct light source as that will definitely give a reflection and you cannot kill that. but with a ambient light source. Thanks though those pictures are telling me a lot in regards to what had me torn. Appreciate you posting them
you can't go by a picture posted when i take pictures of my TV the pictures taken never look as good as they do in real life

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
bargervais is online now  
post #6847 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bargervais's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa Bay Florida
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I used my digital cam now. A little bit better than the phone cam. Just for the sake of comparison and how every cam can give different result
Still in real the blacks more inky and the whites are more white


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:
Hali pictures look great congradulations

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
bargervais is online now  
post #6848 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
surfmlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I used my digital cam now. A little bit better than the phone cam. Just for the sake of comparison and how every cam can give different result
Still in real the blacks more inky and the whites are more white


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:


Phone Cam:


Digital Cam:

Looks awesome Halimali! I hope my pictures from the beginning of the thread is what convinced you to buy even though its hard to see what it really looks like until you see it in person. Enjoy it because I still am biggrin.gif

My Plasma is a PN51F8500 former 5010fd 8G Kuro owner


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
surfmlb is offline  
post #6849 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,954
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I know I will be killed now for saying this biggrin.gif
But last night I watched two episodes of The Golden Girls (DVD) on the set. And they looked fine. However when I used the advanced options i.e. MPEG Noise Filter and Digital Clean View and set them both to auto it made a big difference to the picture quality. All the noise and artifacts were gone and it smoothed the picture in a huge way. I also applied the SOE biggrin.gif i.e the Judder canceler and it even became smoother.
I feel for DVDs specially TV shows this will be very beneficial at least to me. I know many here hate the SOE and I do too for movies but I can see it makes a huge difference when it comes to SD material. Specially when the source is not that good. It improves it by making it smoother, so you get a cleaner looking picture minus the artifacts and the unwanted noise.

Hali, someone had previously commented that the Digital Clear View is so well implemented on this display, that it really helps and has no observable ill-effects.

Also, did you go through the update process?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6850 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,954
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

Update:
- OK I heard the buzz biggrin.gif. very very slight but not in normal condition. I had to move the TV in the cabinet and place my head right behind the screen biggrin.gif and heard very very slight buzz
Now I know what is a plasma's buzz. biggrin.gif Was curious to hear it just to know about it as this is my first plasma. However I cannot hear anything from the front of the screen even when I place my ear on the screen while the volume is on mute

- The TV is hot from behind specially when touched on the upper left, but I guess that is normal for a plasma

- Last night was watching The Queen on my queen and it looked magnificent wink.gif
Been playing it on loop just to get more hours.

- One more thing, The bezel is plastic, Can't remember who said that but he was right. Cheap looking? No, Looking at it just looks it is the same as the Aluminum stand.

The camera doesn't show the beauty of the set.
The light that comes through the door is affecting the camera lens, In real that effect is totally not there and the blacks are inky and beautiful.




It looks pretty obvious to me that the outside lighting is altering the color balance of the camera. Somehow I think that Hali would notice the Queen's purple skin. Just a wild guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6851 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,954
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis View Post


For anyone using a receiver, have you run into this crazy handshake problem and if not, what receiver are you using?

How about the faint horizontal band issue? Is it there? Do you have it?[/quote]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No handshake issues with a Yamato and I haven't noticed any bands.

To be honest, unlike some, I really try to watch the picture and if there are any issues, I'll see them.

I'm not a believer in sticking my nose up to the screen in an attempt to find issues that can't be seen at typical viewing distances. :-)
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6852 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,954
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post


Much better Hali. Let's see if those that were quick to point out the issue are just as quick to mention the improvement. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Ken Ross is offline  
post #6853 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post



Teaser - I "hear" that it is possible to get the 64 for less than 28 hundred. n/k eek.gif

Care to head over to the deals forum and reveal how/ where you heard this? smile.gif
hiperco is offline  
post #6854 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
hiperco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: "Greater Binghamton Area"
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post



Teaser - I "hear" that it is possible to get the 64 for less than 28 hundred. n/k eek.gif

Care to head over to the deals forum and reveal how/ where you heard this? smile.gif
hiperco is offline  
post #6855 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Hali pictures look great congradulations

Thank you. Sure in real this TV is way better

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6856 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Looks awesome Halimali! I hope my pictures from the beginning of the thread is what convinced you to buy even though its hard to see what it really looks like until you see it in person. Enjoy it because I still am biggrin.gif

Thanks my friend. You were the first one to post pics. And yes your pics gave me an idea of what I should expect. As you said in person this TV looks totally awesome.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6857 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Hali, someone had previously commented that the Digital Clear View is so well implemented on this display, that it really helps and has no observable ill-effects.

Also, did you go through the update process?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I would agree with them. It made a huge difference to me without affecting the overall image. It just made the picture look more clear than foggy and with artifacts.
No update popped up yet.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6858 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

you can't go by a picture posted when i take pictures of my TV the pictures taken never look as good as they do in real life

Right which is what I said earlier.

Though what I'm looking at is the reflections

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
Sammie2980 is offline  
post #6859 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Slickman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are there variations between the different sizes? I heard the bigger panels have more aggressive ABL, is this true? Also, where are most people getting their sets, or is that not to be discussed here? I'm just hearing if you don't break it in first with slides then the pixels will age unevenly and it'll look like crap a few weeks after getting it calibrated.
Slickman is offline  
post #6860 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airgas1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 42degsN 92degsW
Posts: 2,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Are there variations between the different sizes? I heard the bigger panels have more aggressive ABL, is this true? Also, where are most people getting their sets, or is that not to be discussed here? I'm just hearing if you don't break it in first with slides then the pixels will age unevenly and it'll look like crap a few weeks after getting it calibrated.

so what do you think happens over the life of the panel w/ various content and watching movies where the pixels in the black bar region don't get exercised?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
airgas1998 is offline  
post #6861 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,896
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

Are there variations between the different sizes? I heard the bigger panels have more aggressive ABL, is this true? Also, where are most people getting their sets, or is that not to be discussed here? I'm just hearing if you don't break it in first with slides then the pixels will age unevenly and it'll look like crap a few weeks after getting it calibrated.

You dont need to run the slides and can watch a varitey of content that will "bredak in" the set. The slides are part of a process that D-Nice uses to help limit the variables when posting his settings....Not aure about the ABL on different size sets....As far as where to purchase, the "price" payed shouldnt be talked about outside of the deals found forum, but there is a good mix of local and online retailers here....
Ph8te is online now  
post #6862 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

I know I will be killed now for saying this biggrin.gif
But last night I watched two episodes of The Golden Girls (

The mystery may be over, I Think you just tipped your hand... biggrin.gif

Glad to hear your loving your F8500 although I never doubted you would... Enjoy
Pinger is offline  
post #6863 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger View Post

The mystery may be over, I Think you just tipped your hand... biggrin.gif

Glad to hear your loving your F8500 although I never doubted you would... Enjoy

Thanks Pinger, But I wasn't sure too until I have seen it myself.
I didn't get what you mean by the mystery. I did not mean I will be killed for watching Golden Girls. No, love that show to the core. The killing I was referring to for using the SOE biggrin.gif
I know many people here don't stand even the name itself, but SOE for shows is really good at least for the older ones.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6864 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Halimali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Are you not concerned about too much heat castoff from the set being trapped in that cabinet enclosure?

No, because there is a large sufficient space behind it. The TV is not totally inside. It is around the middle inside the cabinet. In addition to this there are big holes made for the heat behind the cabinet from inside so heat should not make a probelm

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
Halimali is offline  
post #6865 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
mightymouseusf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBR View Post

Here in puerto rico we have a small frog that is all night singing but we dont even hear it if we are not searching for the sound.maybe is the same with the buzzing.my a/c buzz my fan buzz and my refrigerator buzz too.LOL

The Coqui is how you know you're in Puerto Rico. Whenever I want to imagine I'm there, I close my eyes and its the first part I imagine. It's far more soothing than Plasma buzz. It's a shame I hear they may all be gone soon.
mightymouseusf is offline  
post #6866 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
PRBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

The Coqui is how you know you're in Puerto Rico. Whenever I want to imagine I'm there, I close my eyes and its the first part I imagine. It's far more soothing than Plasma buzz. It's a shame I hear they may all be gone soon.

i have like 1,000 in my house backyard sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPuSAlgvxNM
PRBR is offline  
post #6867 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Member
 
tek24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anyone is using a Harmony 900 or similar remote for this TV yet. I have it working for the most part except for a few functions that control the Smarthub features and was wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I had to create a specific activity for Smartbub (out side of 'Watch TV' to get the sounds and directional arrows to mimic the smart remote.
tek24 is offline  
post #6868 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Member
 
dubusduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I've been playing with my F8500 for about 12 hours now.

Buzzing: I'm sitting 11.5ft away, dead center of the screen. It's not like I can merely hear a sound introduced that is the difference between dead silence and not silent. It's highly audible, annoying, and distinct. If I lean 10" to the left, the buzzing is practically non-existent and becomes merely the difference between dead silence and not silent. If I lean 10" to the right, the buzzing becomes even more apparent, all the way until about 2ft to the right, when it becomes a non-issue again. I'm hoping I'll get used to the buzzing to the point where it wont bother me.

Handshake: My Onkyo TX-SR707 hates my F8500. I have my F8500 connected to my Onkyo's HDMI OUT. I have my PC, Bluray, and Uverse connected to my Onkyo's HDMI IN's. Receiver is set to pass-through. It took me 20 minutes to get a picture on my TV of my computer. I tried 2 different HDMI cables, and what finally did it was randomly turning on and off my receiver multiple times in a row. I then noticed my computer's image was too dark, it was in some other pixel mode, so I went into AMD's Catalyst Control Panel and set it to RGB limited. After this the TV could not bring up the image again, and said could not find source or whatever. I had to turn my receiver on and off about 10 times for the image to come back on the screen. The picture settings at least looked good now that I changed it to RGB limited. I then switched to my Bluray player input on the receiver. No picture. Turned off and on my receiver numerous times to get it to come up. Started playing a movie and noticed I didn't have any Cinema Smooth control (was curious). My Bluray was set at 60p, not 24p, so I changed it to 24p but then again, the TV said it couldn't find the source. Turned receiver on and off more than 10 times for the picture to come back up. In fact, every time I switch to a new input on my Onkyo, it says no signal. Ridiculous. I'll probably get a new Denon receiver soon, if my Onkyo is any indication of how it is going to treat newer TV sets.

Black screen: On a completely black screen, my TV is not quite uniform. There are 2 horizontal whitish bands across the screen that can be seen. Enabling black optimizer 'dark room' helps significantly.

Brightness: This TV is super bright. Changed to movie mode and cell light 16, brightness 49 (anything less and bar 17 won't flash on the AVS calibration video file), contrast 93 (still playing around). Can't see anyone ever needing a TV brighter than this.

96hz/60hz: 60hz is definitely the way to go. 96hz introduced a little too much judder. After switching back and fourth for a while, and finally leaving it on 60hz, there were some artifacts that weren't there before I started switching back and fourth. Might be my bluray player.

The only movie I've completely watched so far is Run Lola Run, with some friends. It definitely isn't anything special video quality wise, but it did look spectacular. Colors seemed spot on. Watched a bunch of Uverse also, which looked very good (for Uverse). When watching Uverse, I can set Film Mode to off, auto1, or auto2. A few searches find some people using auto1 and some using auto2. Cnet said they couldn't get 1080i sources to deinterlace properly without using auto1. I don't think I notice a different between any of them for Uverse, is that normal? I inputted pie's and then cnet's color space/white settings, but when watching John Carter the landscape looked too yellow. I changed back to default and it looked better, but a bit too red. I then changed to warm1 which made it look slightly better again.

The Smart suite is great. I've tried out the Youtube, Pandora, TED, and Web Browser. Everything was smooth, fast, and great quality. It could almost replace my computer... which I use for music and youtube/hulu/etc. I also hooked up a wireless keyboard/mouse to the USB and found it worked great.

Over the next few days I plan on watching Drive, Tron, Prometheus, the Fountain, the Fall, District 9, and Children of Men.



The only thing that would make me want to return this TV is the buzzing... I have the ferrite core installed and a Panamax power conditioner but that doesn't seem to help.

For anyone using a receiver, have you run into this crazy handshake problem and if not, what receiver are you using?

My F8500 had the same buzzing issue. Started out faint, then got louder, then just about disappeared. I have an Onkyo TX-SR805. I run my bluray player through the Onkyo. Originally, I could not get a picture on the F8500 when my hdmi cable was input to HDMI 1 coming out of the Onkyo. Changing inputs to HDMI 3, the ARC, I got a picture. After the F8500 and Onkyo made friends this way, the F8500 would display video from the Onkyo on any HDMI input. My bluray play automatically output 24fps/60hz. No display, sync issues whatsoever. I've found that HDMI handshake problems can be cured by turning off the receiver or display and power whatever one was turned off back on again. My receiver is an older model than yours, so I don't know why you would have problems. Give the buzzing on the F8500 time to subside. You have one of the best plasmas! Better in detail retrieval than the VT60. When I first watched The Hobbit and Tron I was "wowed" at the clarity of the panel. My wife and teenage daughters saw it too, so it was not just me.

Samsung PN64F8500: Oppo 105D; Onkyo TX-SR805; Polk LSI x 5; Kimber Kable 12TC Speaker Cable; Monnster Cable Speaker Cable; Shunyata Research Aries interconnects; Shunyata Research Anaconda CX Power Cord; Monster Cable 700 and 1000 HDX HDMI Cables; John 3:16;
dubusduck is offline  
post #6869 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Member
 
fiddler11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok so I have been using my 64f8500 for 2 weeks now as a htpc monitor and for regular viewing. The camera tucked away message is annoying and there is something up with the way the tv interacts with my pioneer vsx-53 reciever. But thats the only complaints I have. There hasnt been any image retention and I have had a couple of 3 hour gaming session's. Very pleased with this set.
fiddler11 is offline  
post #6870 of 12506 Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ljmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: TN / Clwtr FL
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher12 View Post

The 5020FD was not overscanning. It was in dot-by-dot mode which is the same as Samsung''s Screen Fit mode. I have no idea what 'border' you're talking about. I',m not seeing a border. Again, I'm geting a black row of 'blank' pixels on the top of my screen when watching any content from my DirecTV HR23-700. I know someone with a 64" F8500 and a DirecTV HR24 and he does not have this problem in Screen Fit mode. Therefore, I assume my issue has something to do with my DVR and I'd like to see if others with similar setups have seen the issue.

have you tried the picture 'position' adjustment?

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
ljmart is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off