Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 232 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

Here are simple set it and forget it settings I found produced the best picture on my set (after the firmware update): I've barely had to touch them for quite a while now. I found the higher gamma and lower brightness to be the key to improving shadow detail on this set. To make the picture a little brighter increase the contrast, a little dimmer...lower the contrast. You can even bump the gamma to +3 and reduce the brightness below 30 to produce an even brighter, but still very clean picture.

Standard Mode

Cell: 20
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 35 / Gamma +2
Color: 53
Color Tone: Standard (optional)
Clean View: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Black Optimizer: Bright Room
Everything else: Off
No changes to color

These settings produce a bright, clean,, fully color saturated picture that's easily adjustable for day or night. I'll occasionally lower/increase the color level, as well as change the color tone for certain sources, but not too often. I found keeping the gamma at minimum +2 is most important factor in maintaining consistent brightness and shadow detail in both light and dark scenes. I'm sure movie mode will produce a more calibrated picture, but when you are missing a brighter, more colorful picture, standard mode can give you that very nicely. smile.gif

Close to my daytime settings, mine are:
Cell: 20
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 46 / Gamma +1
Color: 51
Color Tone: Warm 2
Clean View: Low
Film Mode: Auto 2
Black Optimizer: Dark Room
Dynamic: Medium
Black Tone: Dark
Everything else: Off

Being my first plasma these are prob a bit LEDish by lifelong plasma guys/gals. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd like to know before I get the set, what do I set the film mode to for blu-ray, Comcast, video games, etc.? I'd also like to know what settings to change when I want to watch 3D. That's that one thing that scares me about these newer tvs, there's so many different settings I won't know what to put for what content.
post #6933 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 05:30 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezuz747 View Post

I took some pics with my crappy phone camera to show off the performance of the F8500 in a very bright room.

This is what my TV has to contend with during daytime viewing. My TV sits right next to this wall, which has 2 large sliding glass doors, and directly underneath 2 skylights. There is a LOT of daylight in this viewing room:

The colors are slightly off in this photo because my camera sucks, but this picture shows that the F8500 keeps an amazingly punchy high-contrast image even in direct sunlight. You can only see one reflection here, a skylight in the upper right corner of this image. That is a 4-foot wide skylight on a sunny day blasting right onto the screen:

The F8500 has amazing detail. It's been one of the most impressive features of this TV. Not only that, but the color is just really vivid and amazing. Even in this very low quality picture, you can see this set has truly stunning color and detail, even in direct sunlight:

Even when the image is blurry from being paused, the detail on this television is hands-down superior to anything I've seen, including my Kuro and the ST60 and VT60 that I tried first:

When my girlfriend and I watched Avatar on the F8500, we were absolutely blown away by this scene in Avatar, where the aliens are all kneeling in front of the Tree of Souls. If there is any ABL on the F8500, it has no effect on the mind-blowing brightness and vivid color and detail shown on the F8500 - even in the afternoon in a very bright room. On the ST60, this entire scene was dimmed and the colors became less vivid and even inaccurate due to the ABL. For anyone who might be tempted to believe the naysayers who question the impact of ABL, I encourage you to get a Bluray copy of Avatar, and pause this screen on both the VT60 and F8500 and compare them side by side. The difference is very noticeable. ABL kills this scene (and hockey games) on the Panasonics:

This scene in the Blade Runner DVD also suffered from the ABL on the Panasonics (which seemed to kill the contrast and "punch" of the highlights). The F8500 manages to keep the blacks deep and inky while still showing great contrast with the street lights, bright whites and gorgeous neon street signs. It looks stunning in person, but this low-quality pic shows at least that the F8500 has great contrast and highlights, that is not lost in daylight as it was on the ST60:

Watching football during the afternoon, even dark images look sharp and are easily visible in a daylit room:

I'm sorry for the poor quality photos, but my phone camera is all I have. For those looking into the F8500, just know that these pictures are taken by probably the worst camera possible, and the color is still pretty stunning and vivid. I wish I could capture the detail of the F8500, as I think that is perhaps its most impressive feature.

I've been super-impressed with the F8500 and consider it easily the best-looking television I've seen. I'm LOVING this television!!

If thisctv is so nice why does D-nice and every professional calibrator prefer the VT60 over this set?
post #6934 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Because they only calibrate to 30-35 fL but to many people this is too dim even in a dark room.
post #6935 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

If thisctv is so nice why does D-nice and every professional calibrator prefer the VT60 over this set?

Who cares? Check out both brands for yourself. Its all personal preference.
post #6936 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

Not sure how you got every professional calibrators opinion to say they like the VT60 more, please let me know where all of them sent in their votes or opinions. As far as the shootout goes, they stated for them personally they prefer the VT\ZT since they have highly light controlled environments, where the better black levels of the VT\ZT would benifit them more.

This is personal opinion you may prefer a VT\ZT but someone else may prefer the F8500 or another TV....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax View Post

Who cares? Check out both brands for yourself. Its all personal preference.

This^^ Not sure why people care so much what other people think of thier set. Its one thing to use it as a tool for purchasing, but if you need it to make you feel better or "more secure" about your purchase there may be other issues going on....
post #6937 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

eek.gif This thread going crazy. Didn't read in the last couple of hours and now unread posts are 68!!! eek.gif

Enjoying the TV and cannot keep my hand off the remote. Constantly picking it up and changing the settings to see how each affect the PQ.

I have few queries:

Pixel Shift: I know what it is suppose to do and it is activated on my set, but is it noticeable? because I don't see any movement. Not sure though. How much is it visible?

Black Tone: Do you use this? It makes the blacks darker but what are the drawbacks?

HDMI Black Level: In the manual about this option it says "Use this to reduce image retention that may occur when watching video from an external device. Choose one of the black levels" I didn't understand how this can reduce the IR and what exactly this setting do to the PQ. Appreciate any input here.

Film Mode: It is to optimize the PQ for movies, there are options like Auto 1, Auto 2, Cinema Smooth. But don't see anywhere in the manual giving any explanation what each setting will do. Any help?

Pixel shift is worthless. It's supposed to ease the fear of IR, but the reality is you'll still get IR but it will be blurry IR instead of focused IR. I'd say disable it.

Black Tone I wouldn't trust either. I worry that it would crush blacks more than make the blacks deeper. Just testing it out, it darkens and loses a lot of shadow detail, so I'd recommend this setting off as well. Even without a meter I can tell this would be a problem setting.

HDMI Black Level I'm not 100% sure of, but I think it adjusts the image from RGB 16 - 235 to RGB 0 - 255. I personally leave this on Low as I use the TV for sRGB content. I haven't had a chance to test 0 - 16 and 235 - 255 content to see if that's actually what it does or if it simply crushes whites and blacks.

Film mode is only for 24p content. Auto 1 and Auto 2 are probably just different methods of 3:2 pulldown, and Cinema Smooth is supposed to be true 24p although it looked a little too smooth for me to be 24p, but I haven't done significant testing.
post #6938 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halimali View Post

eek.gif This thread going crazy. Didn't read in the last couple of hours and now unread posts are 68!!! eek.gif

Enjoying the TV and cannot keep my hand off the remote. Constantly picking it up and changing the settings to see how each affect the PQ.

I have few queries:

Pixel Shift: I know what it is suppose to do and it is activated on my set, but is it noticeable? because I don't see any movement. Not sure though. How much is it visible?

Black Tone: Do you use this? It makes the blacks darker but what are the drawbacks?

HDMI Black Level: In the manual about this option it says "Use this to reduce image retention that may occur when watching video from an external device. Choose one of the black levels" I didn't understand how this can reduce the IR and what exactly this setting do to the PQ. Appreciate any input here.

Film Mode: It is to optimize the PQ for movies, there are options like Auto 1, Auto 2, Cinema Smooth. But don't see anywhere in the manual giving any explanation what each setting will do. Any help?

Pixel Shift: Mostly useless, not even worth using really, its meant to be run while wathcing TV, so you may never know the indvidual pixels "shifting" slightly If you are worried about IR, run the "Screen Wipe" type feature instead after watching TV.

Black Tone: This is known to crush blacks leave this off

HDMI Black Level: I beleive most leave this low.....

Film Mode: Auto 1 favors Film, Auto 2 favors Video (according to the shootout)....
post #6939 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Received my 64F8500 yesterday. Very good uniformity, no buzzing, and no dead pixels.

One major issue though: floating blacks despite the most recent firmware. There are a number of scenes where the brightness spills into the black bars on various content which does not occur on my ST30. It looks like a momentary fluctuation. I do almost entirely dark room viewing so this will not be seen with lights on. Have been watching a lot of Star Trek Original Series on Blu lately and comparing the same scenes shows the ST30 holding its blacks much better even if they are not as dark as the F8500 most of the time. However, it's distracting to watch because the same scene almost changes.. I've got all of the enhancement stuff turned off but am using dark optimizer for dark room, movie mode, contrast at 90, gamma -1, cell light at 13 to 14 at times, brightness at 47 or 49 - slips my memory. On any rate, this is a major issue for me.

post #6940 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Received my 64F8500 yesterday. Very good uniformity, no buzzing, and no dead pixels.

One major issue though: floating blacks despite the most recent firmware. There are a number of scenes where the brightness spills into the black bars on various content which does not occur on my ST30. It looks like a momentary fluctuation. I do almost entirely dark room viewing so this will not be seen with lights on. Have been watching a lot of Star Trek Original Series on Blu lately and comparing the same scenes shows the ST30 holding its blacks much better even if they are not as dark as the F8500 most of the time. However, it's distracting to watch because the same scene almost changes.. I've got all of the enhancement stuff turned off but am using dark optimizer for dark room, movie mode, contrast at 90, gamma -1, cell light at 13 to 14 at times, brightness at 47 or 49 - slips my memory. On any rate, this is a major issue for me.

frown.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6941 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 169
HDMI black level is dependent on source. I fire out ycbcr instead of RGB from my HTPC and this disables (grays out) HDMI black level.
Most sources output RGB 16-235 which equates to you leaving HDMI black level on low.

You'd know if it's set wrong, as you'd be crushing blacks at the upper levels and everything would look 'too' dark.

[edited - corrected mistake]
post #6942 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

in a completely dark environment I would have suggested the VT\ZT wink.gif

I think youre the 1st report of this happening, at least that I can remember. Im guessing you are in Movie mode? The Cell light looks a little low, but that is dependent on user preference as well.....Have you tried increeasing the Cell light to 16/17? I believe this is what they had it at for the shootout and 40ftL.....

I would suggest trying out pie's settings that he has posted in the Settings thread as people seem to like those, of course they will not replace a real calibration...
post #6943 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

turn off black optimizer and blacks will be stable, this is inherent in the way samsung drives its panels.
post #6944 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

in a completely dark environment I would have suggested the VT\ZT wink.gif

I think youre the 1st report of this happening, at least that I can remember. Im guessing you are in Movie mode? The Cell light looks a little low, but that is dependent on user preference as well.....Have you tried increeasing the Cell light to 16/17? I believe this is what they had it at for the shootout and 40ftL.....

I would suggest trying out pie's settings that he has posted in the Settings thread as people seem to like those, of course they will not replace a real calibration...

The VT60 might be an option now.

I calibrated with the Spears and Munsil disc and AVS test patterns.

I just find the set too bright to increase the cell any further. I could lower contrast and then increase cell that way, but I don't think it will solve my issue.

post #6945 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

turn off black optimizer and blacks will be stable, this is inherent in the way samsung drives its panels.

But then the blacks are hardly better than my ST30!

post #6946 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:

But then the blacks are hardly better than my ST30!

correct, you need to decide what aspects are important to you.
post #6947 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The VT60 might be an option now.

I calibrated with the Spears and Munsil disc and AVS test patterns.

I just find the set too bright to increase the cell any further. I could lower contrast and then increase cell that way, but I don't think it will solve my issue.

"Adjusting settings" would be a better term wink.gif calibration is usually with a meter biggrin.gif (something Ive learned to seperate recently)......

I would try out some of the settings Pie posted in the settings thread to see if they work better for you, or try chainging the Black Optimizer to see if changes happen. I know Samsung is still working on some of the issues as they were brought up by the calibrators during the shootout and passed along to the Samsung reps there.....If the set is to bright for you, it just may not be the right set for you (and thats OK too)....

I know pie used to have a few different settings, but I think he deleted his other ones and now only has the ~45ftL settings up...The 40ftL is probably going to be your "sweet spot" which you would need a calibrator ot a meter to hit that level.....

The one thing it will take some getting used to is the brightness of the set, but IMO this set is geared more towards those with a variable abient light setting and not "dark room\controlled light" that would be more Panasonics thing. As you sid with any light in the room you didnt notice this and a suspect most have some tiye of light (bias or otherwise) when watching TV......
post #6948 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

"Adjusting settings" would be a better term wink.gif calibration is usually with a meter biggrin.gif (something Ive learned to seperate recently)......

I would try out some of the settings Pie posted in the settings thread to see if they work better for you, or try chainging the Black Optimizer to see if changes happen. I know Samsung is still working on some of the issues as they were brought up by the calibrators during the shootout and passed along to the Samsung reps there.....If the set is to bright for you, it just may not be the right set for you (and thats OK too)....

I know pie used to have a few different settings, but I think he deleted his other ones and now only has the ~45ftL settings up...The 40ftL is probably going to be your "sweet spot" which you would need a calibrator ot a meter to hit that level.....

The one thing it will take some getting used to is the brightness of the set, but IMO this set is geared more towards those with a variable abient light setting and not "dark room\controlled light" that would be more Panasonics thing. As you sid with any light in the room you didnt notice this and a suspect most have some tiye of light (bias or otherwise) when watching TV......

I cannot take more than 33fl in a dark room with this size display. If I were definitely going to keep the set, I would have Chad out.

I will say, you can see the better ABL behavior vs the ST30, but some scenes just get really bright...even when I turned down the contrast and cell light further getting something to what I am used to. For ambient light, this set is definitely a no brainer. All in all, it is a nice display though. Those floating blacks might drive me insane though, lol

I'm a bit disappointed because operationally its a great set and really clean uniformity looking through various gray slides of different IREs. Zero buzz either.

post #6949 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I thought I read earlier in the forum that black optimizer set to bright room doesn't suffer from the black inconsistencies.
post #6950 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:

On my VT60 it is amazing blacks are inky and no issues with black bars. Its so black you dont even relize its there... Never seen such amazing black quality since kuro . If it bothers you , you might want to return it. Came from a 60" ST30
Amazing bluray playback , motion
post #6951 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

HDMI black level is dependent on source. I fire out ycbcr instead of RGB from my HTPC and this disables (grays out) HDMI black level.
Most sources output RGB 16-235 which equates to you leaving HDMI black level on low.

You'd know if it's set wrong, as you'd be crushing blacks at the upper levels and everything would look 'too' dark.

I actually keep this set to normal whenever given the chance to change it. The end sequence of Zero Dark Thirty was basically unwatchable for me with it set to low. I also tested it during some other content and found I was losing detail in black.
post #6952 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 165
So you have to choose between poor black levels or floating blacks on this set?
post #6953 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

Is this a serious question?
post #6954 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

The black levels are not poor.
post #6955 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfraso View Post

I have to agree "poor" is a miscatgorization

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #6956 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

Didn't notice that about ycbr. I like how it does that.

You're correct about the HDMI Content. I finally had a chance to fire up the PS3 and test its RGB Full and Limited modes. Full RGB (sRGB) you want set to normal, and Limited you want set to Low. Otherwise, it crushes blacks if you have full range RGB, which I finally had a chance to see in the test pattern. Odd though, that the Expert Pattern 1 did not display that behavior, but it was quite obvious coming from the PS3.

So I take back what I wrote about HDMI Low. I thought for some reason that it would mean getting the lower and higher ranges. Wish the names of some of the menu items were a little more standard and more descriptive.
post #6957 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:

On my VT60 it is amazing blacks are inky and no issues with black bars. Its so black you dont even relize its there... Never seen such amazing black quality since kuro . If it bothers you , you might want to return it. Came from a 60" ST30
Amazing bluray playback , motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I have to agree "poor" is a miscatgorization
yes poor is not a good categorization. Just say the VT and ZT outperform the F8500 in black levels
post #6958 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Black levels on par with a the xT30 series of Panasonics? That would be poor depending on what set you're upgrading from.
post #6959 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Black levels on par with a the xT30 series of Panasonics? That would be poor depending on what set you're upgrading from.

His old set could be professionally calibrated and tweaked to the max
post #6960 of 12432 Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sighhh it helps to know what mode you are in when saying this....As far as Black levels go, I believe with Black Optimizer off it goes to .03? cant remember exactly, but with an uncalibrated set, all you can go by is "eye"......

Stick with your ZT60 and you wont have to worry about it...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page