Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8191 of 12514 Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

Ours initially had a very small window of buzzing, you had to be on the right side of the screen and at a certain height, but even that has seemed to be less now than before. If it bothers you I would definitely exchange it.

Below is a 2012 PN60E8000 with the back off. It takes a sharp eye to notice the difference between this model and the 2013 PN60F8500.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Hint: Look bottom center for 2012 mount for base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM

Liked: 10
I am wondering if somebody could give me some input on the ARC option.I have Arc output on my AV receiver going into my ARC hdmi on the tv.The problem is: I lose Channel guide and Smart Hub channel jumping(hope I'm describing that right)options.It seems to switch me over to Hdmi 1 (ca/tv?)when trying to use them..Samsung support and Crutchfield support says that's normal,but I have a hard time buying there isn't a work-around.Anybody defeat this problem?
post #8193 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy View Post

I have excessive buzzing on the 60 inch. From both, the wife and my, seats on the couch if very prominent. It is directional at ear level to the seated position. If I stand or sit on the floor, I can not hear. One option of us would be to wall mount and tilt accordingly until buzz was aligned above or below our ears. It started immediately on the blue set up screens and seems to be a slight bit louder on all black screens.

So sad, because the picture is beautiful.

Last day for me to decide whether to exchange for another or just moving over to the LED, F8000 or 65F7100.

Can you hear it while viewing material at normal audio levels or do you have to increase the volume to drown out the buzz?
post #8194 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWalker View Post

Try option :

Menu - Picture - Picture Size - Screen Fit

to get rid of black bars.

What is the contrast setting that you use?
post #8195 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

There ia always variation within panels, typically it is the out of the box greyscale settings, no two sets are exactly alike. Then throw in evironment factors, personal taste etc it really hard to transfer advanced settings from set to set.
Agreed, even though they flow down the same line none are alike. Just another human mystery. No one is perfect, therefor their are no perfect products, and there are no two products alike in any industry.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #8196 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

Can you hear it while viewing material at normal audio levels or do you have to increase the volume to drown out the buzz?

Of course at normal audio levels, when someone is speaking or there is music in the background of the movie, it does drown out the buzz. However, when someone speaks, they typically pause at some point (at the end of sentences perhaps, or the pause as the other person(s) is about to reply, then the buzz is certainly heard.
So, if there is a constant melody throughout the whole movie, the buzz is not as noticeable (yet most background music will be significantly lower than the spoken parts, so the buzz is certainly heard at normal listening levels)....however if the movie does not have a constant melody (which I don't know many movies that have constant sound effects or music), and you have your typical dialogue, then the buzz can be heard ever slightly at voice level, then pronounced during any pause between sentences or responses.

For Samsung to say, "Can buzz be heard at normal listening levels," is not a fair question, too many variables. If watching action scene in Avengers, then no you won't hear buzz, but any dialogue driven show or movie, yes, you will hear buzz many times during.
post #8197 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Of course at normal audio levels, when someone is speaking or there is music in the background of the movie, it does drown out the buzz. However, when someone speaks, they typically pause at some point (at the end of sentences perhaps, or the pause as the other person(s) is about to reply, then the buzz is certainly heard.
So, if there is a constant melody throughout the whole movie, the buzz is not as noticeable (yet most background music will be significantly lower than the spoken parts, so the buzz is certainly heard at normal listening levels)....however if the movie does not have a constant melody (which I don't know many movies that have constant sound effects or music), and you have your typical dialogue, then the buzz can be heard ever slightly at voice level, then pronounced during any pause between sentences or responses.

For Samsung to say, "Can buzz be heard at normal listening levels," is not a fair question, too many variables. If watching action scene in Avengers, then no you won't hear buzz, but any dialogue driven show or movie, yes, you will hear buzz many times during.

Also of note, you can't just stand behind the couch and declare, I hear no buzz. For me it is in the seated position on couch in either my seat or my wife's (13 feet from screen)

Standing above the tv, I hear no buzz, just they typical hum of a tv being on...but if I place my ear in front in that upper right corner, then I can hear the buzz.

**I purchased a Monster HDP 2500 High Definition PowerCenter which has power condtitioning supposedly, but no change to buzzing...even when this was the only electronic device in the area plugged in.

I believe the number of buzz cases is not nearly as high as in the past for Samsung, but nonetheless I must have received one of the 5% (or whatever percentage may buzz) that do.
post #8198 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

What is the contrast setting that you use?

The black bars that I referred to are those fillers to the left and right of 4x3 images when the TV is set for 16x9 display. Not artifacts.

My contrast is currently set at 95. I don't tweak the TV settings. We were very pleased right out of the box. I think that I changed that during break in and never changed it back. Full disclosure here: From reading the posts here I have begun to wonder how much better a professional calibration would make our PN60F8500 look. Have a Darblet 5000 and use Green 70. We think the quality our picture is fantastic -- very realistic!
post #8199 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

All plasmas have a buzz, it is inherent to the technology. Samsung is trying to pose that question to try and determine if the buzz is either at normal plasma levels or an actual issue. If you can hear the buzz at your viewing position at normal volume levels and it is annoying to you I would have the unit exchanged if you are able to. If you want a TV that doesn't exhibit any buzzing you will need to change to LCD unfortunately.

Initially our F8500 had a pronounced buzz that could be heard from the bottom right at the seating position, there was a 2' wide by 1' long window at 15' out that was very bad. It has been 2 weeks now and while I can hear a normal plasma buzz if I am close to the F8500 with the volume muted it has gone away otherwise. As it stands the Dish Hopper fan makes more noise than the F8500.

Added: I forgot to mention that elevation does impact the plasma buzz, the higher up you are the more pronounced the buzz will be. If you have a unit that has a more pronounced buzz I would still recommend exchanging it rather than moving. wink.gif
post #8200 of 12514 Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Agreed, even though they flow down the same line none are alike. Just another human mystery. No one is perfect, therefor their are no perfect products, and there are no two products alike in any industry.

I tend to make an analogy of a modern engine: Totally controlled by electronic brains, when it is first put together and run, it tunes itself. Things like timing, gas flow, tickover etc.
It does so because no two engines are exactly the same. After all the hundreds of pieces are put together to run as one, it will run like no other of it's kind. The stored values in the brain will be pretty much unique.

Think of our PDP TV's as being similar. All the parts, each one having an oh so slightly different tolerance. The phosphor reacting just a tiny bit differently to a certain voltage then the batch a week before for instance. Things like that.

That's why each unit requires individual attention to bring it to a standard that is the same for all.
post #8201 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Liked: 14
1103 eu firmware is up. Hope its the brightness pop fix...
post #8202 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry but no EU 1103 firmware available on either the UK site or the NL site.
rolleyes.gif
post #8203 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 AM

I have a buzzer here myself, and am exchanging it once the company order in another (special order tv here)

It's a directional type buzz that's coming from the center of the screen. As per Lazyboy's post, I can't hear it if I stand at the TV, but once I'm at ear level, and 12 ft away on the couch,
there it is....

I had a technician from the store come to look at it, who said he couldn't hear anything rolleyes.gif It could be a hearing thing though, as I'm 31 and he'd be perhaps late 50's.

It's especially prominent on black screens, and in normal viewing it can still be heard. You'd have to crank up the volume more than you'd need to (but not by much) to drown it out.

I experimented with putting blankets behind the tv for a few minutes, to see if it was an acoustic issue, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm particularly disappointed, as I sent back an E6500 for this exact buzzing. The budget LG I had before this didn't buzz at all.

If I wall mounted a good bit higher, I wouldn't hear it, but I like to look at the screen at eye level, not looking up.

If the next one buzzes, that's me done with Samsung and I'll be getting a VT60 (at least there are ways around the fan noise).

I really don't want to have to do that though, as the picture is bright and beautiful.
post #8204 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I tend to make an analogy of a modern engine: Totally controlled by electronic brains, when it is first put together and run, it tunes itself. Things like timing, gas flow, tickover etc.
It does so because no two engines are exactly the same. After all the hundreds of pieces are put together to run as one, it will run like no other of it's kind. The stored values in the brain will be pretty much unique.
Seeing that I "used" to like to wrench on cars, I hear ya wink.gif I like to drive them now, no more wrenching for me.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #8205 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmark0 View Post

I have a buzzer here myself, and am exchanging it once the company order in another (special order tv here)

It's a directional type buzz that's coming from the center of the screen. As per Lazyboy's post, I can't hear it if I stand at the TV, but once I'm at ear level, and 12 ft away on the couch,
there it is....

I had a technician from the store come to look at it, who said he couldn't hear anything rolleyes.gif It could be a hearing thing though, as I'm 31 and he'd be perhaps late 50's.

It's especially prominent on black screens, and in normal viewing it can still be heard. You'd have to crank up the volume more than you'd need to (but not by much) to drown it out.

I experimented with putting blankets behind the tv for a few minutes, to see if it was an acoustic issue, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm particularly disappointed, as I sent back an E6500 for this exact buzzing. The budget LG I had before this didn't buzz at all.

If I wall mounted a good bit higher, I wouldn't hear it, but I like to look at the screen at eye level, not looking up.

If the next one buzzes, that's me done with Samsung and I'll be getting a VT60 (at least there are ways around the fan noise).

I really don't want to have to do that though, as the picture is bright and beautiful.

Note: Plasma displays do buzz sometimes it's somewhat normal for the technology, and the further you are above sea level the more this will be an issue. Some people are more susceptible to this issue as well, you might be one of those people. If you can hear this buzzing during normal viewing content and it's really bothering you may want to consider other display options. cool.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8206 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

Note: Plasma displays do buzz sometimes it's somewhat normal for the technology, and the further you are above sea level the more this will be an issue. Some people are more susceptible to this issue as well, you might be one of those people. If you can hear this buzzing during normal viewing content and it's really bothering you may want to consider other display options. cool.gif

Note: I've owned plasma's before. This is not a typical plasma hum. It's Samsung's issue, not mine.

Note (2) : The sea is a 2 minute walk away wink.gif
post #8207 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I wonder if its a board or the panel that's making the buzz?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #8208 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Agreed, and something I rarely hear talked about is what happened to your TV between the factory and your home.

My first civilian job was with an American TV manufacturer. Yes, not only were TVs once produced here but they were the best. Every morning and evening I would walk by the QC area and watch the new TVs come off the line. Randomly selected TVs were pulled off the line and run at much higher than normal voltage until they failed then they were fixed and retested until they failed again. So the engineers knew the two most likely components to fail in the TV. Those QC sets were fixed a final time and sold at greatly reduced price to employees. They were the most reliable TVs I have ever owned.

Sorry, taking too long to get to the point. In one corner of the QC area was a shaker table. A boxed TV right of the line was put on the shaker table and shaken for the equivalent of a train ride from coast to coast and back in a box car. It amazed me that any electronic equipment could stand that abuse but all the tested sets were expected to pass.

The point is your TV may have left the factory fine but it received a lot of rough handling before you turned it on for the first time. Some maybe a lot more than others. Samsung seems to pack their TVs really well but they can't control the abuse, both accidental and deliberate, that their TV are exposed to.
post #8209 of 12514 Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
If I were to invest in a Samsung 64" 8500F plasma, what issues would I possibly have? I want to know if people are overall very happy
With the Samsung plasma or are the issues pretty bothersome?
I know there is no perfect High end HDTV.
post #8210 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:

I have excessive buzzing on the 60 inch. From both, the wife and my, seats on the couch if very prominent. It is directional at ear level to the seated position. If I stand or sit on the floor, I can not hear. One option of us would be to wall mount and tilt accordingly until buzz was aligned above or below our ears. It started immediately on the blue set up screens and seems to be a slight bit louder on all black screens.

So sad, because the picture is beautiful.

Last day for me to decide whether to exchange for another or just moving over to the LED, F8000 or 65F7100.

Yeah I just got my 64" F8500, this panel buzz quite loudly even I sit 10 feet away from the TV ....... can anyone suggest how to resolve this ? I would also like to check if the set is new or refurbished, can anyone tell me how to get into the service menu using the touch remote control ?
post #8211 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

Yeah I just got my 64" F8500, this panel buzz quite loudly even I sit 10 feet away from the TV ....... can anyone suggest how to resolve this ? I would also like to check if the set is new or refurbished, can anyone tell me how to get into the service menu using the touch remote control ?

since you can hear the buzz there are only a few options you have.

1. sit off center either direction or

2. mount it high on the wall to where your ears are level w/ the bottom of the panel.

if you cant or won't accommodate to either of those,you'll have to decide if its worth it to you to keep the set.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8212 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Not sure is this only happening to my set.. when I stand near to the TV and watch from the top with head bending down about 45 degree.... I cannot see picture at the bottom of the screen I only can see there is faded black color horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen... this is also happening on the reverse side meaning when I look the TV from the bottom to up, I can also see the black faded bar on the top of the screen..... however this is not an issue when viewing on the normal level but I remember my previous Panasonic plasma does not have this issue....
post #8213 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 169
^It's the filter and is perfectly normal. The filter on this TV is actually very very good IMO.
post #8214 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

since you can hear the buzz there are only a few options you have.
1. sit off center either direction or
2. mount it high on the wall to where your ears are level w/ the bottom of the panel.
if you cant or won't accommodate to either of those,you'll have to decide if its worth it to you to keep the set.
3. Buy a surround sound system wink.gif

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #8215 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

3. Buy a surround sound system wink.gif

works for me...when I'm watching a movie, no doubt that I want to be in the sweet spot.(buzz zone)

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #8216 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

What % of f8500 has the buzzing problem.
I have a Panasonic ZT60 with fan noise,
So I am trying to figure out if exchanging
The ZT60 for a F8500 is something I should
Consider. Love the picture quality of ZT60,
Just like it to be quieter.
How many have a quiet F8500?
post #8217 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
51" here No noise. very very very faint typical plasma buzz on mostly white screen, not heard over audio. previously had an e7000 which did buzz so i know it isnt my hearing!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #8218 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Asking % is pointless IMO as you are asking a subset of a subset of the actual purchasing population. Much like with the ZT60 and fan noise you'll be taking a roll of the dice with Samsung and getting one that may or may not buzz. There are no garuntees that you will or will not get one. On top of the set itself there is individual sensitivity and room environment that adds to the equation as well.
post #8219 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
hey ph8! so true... i think one could ask the same of any set and will get, some do some dont, answer...

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #8220 of 12514 Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Asking % is pointless IMO as you are asking a subset of a subset of the actual purchasing population. Much like with the ZT60 and fan noise you'll be taking a roll of the dice with Samsung and getting one that may or may not buzz. There are no garuntees that you will or will not get one. On top of the set itself there is individual sensitivity and room environment that adds to the equation as well.
I know. It's tough to figure out what exactly to do. No perfect high end TV.
Leaning towards keeping my ZT60. Picture is excellent. Just a fan noise problem when playing TV at a low volume.
Buzzing could be just as bad of an issue. A crap shoot! Just a matter of how much the fan noise bothers a person! Exchanging TV could end up having a worse problem.
When looking at high end TVs the ZT60 & F8500 stood out as the best!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page