Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I must have lost track. redface.gif

Are you thinking of adding to your Sharp Elite or replacing it?

EDIT: Now that I've also "caught up", I see that it's most likely you are just adding another display. smile.gif

Correctamundo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Or this with the mount attachment: http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/casata_8629.shtml smile.gif
Or this one as well: http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/casata_8627.shtml eek.gif

I love BDI's stuff. I'm mounting the set on a BDI piece. I just got some BDI office furniture from Robert.
post #813 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

well, i got an unexpected call this morning.... and my new tv delivered this afternoon!! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif i must say i am quite IMPRESSED! out of the box movie mode pretty darn GOOD! maybe i'm easily pleased but this thing is fantastic. i mean, REALLY!

haven't spent much time with everything yet... so far my only question is if anyone knows of a quicker way to change picture size?? ie. i'm gonna miss that dedicated 'pict. size' button... however pleasantly surprised i do like the remote. thanks!

When I saw the just mounted F8500 at Magnolia, it was in Dynamic mode which I changed to Movie mode. Like you, without touching anything, I was very impressed with how good it looked stright-out-of-the-box in Movie mode.
post #814 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonES300 View Post

Another update: Scrolling bars will run indefinitely on HDMI 1 for me, but turn off after 15 minutes on input 2. I still cannot find a reason for this.

For those worried about ABL: It has been a complete non-issue. I mean zero. I have never seen a tv light up a room like this one does. It is seriously bright and white when it's supposed to be.

That's really good to hear!!! Thanks. smile.gif
post #815 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

Hey Ken, can you share your thoughts and comparisons between the F8500 and the Sharp Elite in terms of picture quality in relation to a night time reference bluray viewing? Thanks!

I really think they're very close mwasie. When I was 'under the tent' (I think that's getting worn out wink.gif), the dark scenes of The Dark Knight looked just as dark as they did on my Elite. Now I know the Elite has a lower MLL, but to the naked eye it appeared the same. To be fair, it probably still wasn't quite as dark as I can get my den at night, but at the very least it was in the ballpark. I can't imagine someone being unhappy with the black levels of the 8500. If you consider how all the reviews raved about the black levels of the VT50 and the 8500 is darker still, well...nuff said. smile.gif

However, in terms of viewing angle, no contest since the Elite's viewing angle are pretty bad. Color on both is great, but without an A/B with color it's tough to say. I know the measured color accuracy on the 8500 is better than it is on the Elite, but that's an area I hate to open up again (the Elite's color issues).
post #816 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

Let me know how that works for you on the 8500. Is it bluetooth?

No go on the CoStar remote. It is bluetooth and the Samsung can see the remote to add it as a new device, but it just won't pair either as a BT keyboard or BT mouse. I rolled over to bestbuy and picked up the Logitech K400 and it works like a charm in the SmartTV interface. The touchpad moves the mouse cursor around easily with minimal lag. Youtube app doesn't work with it the keyboard portion, but everything else checks out.
post #817 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I really think they're very close mwasie. When I was 'under the tent' (I think that's getting worn out wink.gif), the dark scenes of The Dark Knight looked just as dark as they did on my Elite. Now I know the Elite has a lower MLL, but to the naked eye it appeared the same. To be fair, it probably still wasn't quite as dark as I can get my den at night, but at the very least it was in the ballpark. I can't imagine someone being unhappy with the black levels of the 8500. If you consider how all the reviews raved about the black levels of the VT50 and the 8500 is darker still, well...nuff said. smile.gif

However, in terms of viewing angle, no contest since the Elite's viewing angle are pretty bad. Color on both is great, but without an A/B with color it's tough to say. I know the measured color accuracy on the 8500 is better than it is on the Elite, but that's an area I hate to open up again (the Elite's color issues).

So it's safe to assume that you're completely happy with your decision to purchase the F8500?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #818 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ken, how do you feel the motion is on the Elite in comparison to the F8500 and VT50? What setting do you have your Elite on? I can't decide between low and off.
post #819 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Wow, I'm impressed and convinced! One more question, how do the motion compare on these panels?
post #820 of 12892 Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 PM

Liked: 21
My first post : ) I had to mention as an owner of a variety of plasma panels over the years...the F8500 is by far the best I have ever seen. I have a tv addicted family and we currently have four plasma's in our home... including a Panasonic VT50, a Samsung E8000, a 9 year old Sony (yes, they used to make plasma's) and our new, amazingly stunning 64" F8500.

To me picture quality is everything...clarity, detail, color and how each handles motion is what matters. We bought two tv's last year, the VT50 and the E8000. They both have have some serious issues and overall, our old Sony was probably better than both of them, believe it or not. At it's best, the E8000 provides the best clarity, detail, and motion handling of the three, but it changes from too bright to too dark during a single movie...and is just plain weird looking at times. The VT50 has a more consistent picture from channel to channel, but it's picture is very soft, and combined with some motion issues...it was hard tell you're even watching HD at times...and it's color and flesh tones are just not quite right...regardless of calibration.

I was seriously disappointed with the VT50's picture quality. To me, it was way overrated...just very lackluster picture. Maybe it was the best of the bunch, but 2012 plasma's were just not very impressive, at least not to my eye's. I think Panasonic may have fixed the color issue with the new red enhancement, but all indications are that they made no other real significant changes to improve picture quality and didn't even address the motion issues with the new 2013 VT60.

My old Sony bit the dust, so I got a chance to buy a new tv for our great room. I chose the F8500...thank goodness!!! Everyone is just blown away by the picture quality...and, so far, no issues at all...just joy : )

The F8500's picture is leaps and bounds better than VT50...and very obvious to everyone in our house, that's for sure. Some have mentioned there is a slight difference...it's NOT slight, it's just sooooooo much better. If Panasonic can top it with the ZT50, they will have achieved something really special, because the F8500 is truly the best tv I have ever seen...by a landslide! Finally...after all these years of mediocrity...excellence has arrived...just in time : )
SiGGy likes this.
post #821 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

My first post : ) I had to mention as an owner of a variety of plasma panels over the years...the F8500 is by far the best I have ever seen. I have a tv addicted family and we currently have four plasma's in our home... including a Panasonic VT50, a Samsung E8000, a 9 year old Sony (yes, they used to make plasma's) and our new, amazingly stunning 64" F8500.

To me picture quality is everything...clarity, detail, color and how each handles motion is what matters. We bought two tv's last year, the VT50 and the E8000. They both have have some serious issues and overall, our old Sony was probably better than both of them, believe it or not. At it's best, the E8000 provides the best clarity, detail, and motion handling of the three, but it changes from too bright to too dark during a single movie...and is just plain weird looking at times. The VT50 has a more consistent picture from channel to channel, but it's picture is very soft, and combined with some motion issues...it was hard tell you're even watching HD at times...and it's color and flesh tones are just not quite right...regardless of calibration.

I was seriously disappointed with the VT50's picture quality. To me, it was way overrated...just very lackluster picture. Maybe it was the best of the bunch, but 2012 plasma's were just not very impressive, at least not to my eye's. I think Panasonic may have fixed the color issue with the new red enhancement, but all indications are that they made no other real significant changes to improve picture quality and didn't even address the motion issues with the new 2013 VT60.

My old Sony bit the dust, so I got a chance to buy a new tv for our great room. I chose the F8500...thank goodness!!! Everyone is just blown away by the picture quality...and, so far, no issues at all...just joy : )

The F8500's picture is leaps and bounds better than VT50...and very obvious to everyone in our house, that's for sure. Some have mentioned there is a slight difference...it's NOT slight, it's just sooooooo much better. If Panasonic can top it with the ZT50, they will have achieved something really special, because the F8500 is truly the best tv I have ever seen...by a landslide! Finally...after all these years of mediocrity...excellence has arrived...just in time : )

WOW
Really good that you are happy with your purchase. And thank you for posting this. It really encourages us to be in your shoe

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #822 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by altagracia57 View Post

No go on the CoStar remote. It is bluetooth and the Samsung can see the remote to add it as a new device, but it just won't pair either as a BT keyboard or BT mouse. I rolled over to bestbuy and picked up the Logitech K400 and it works like a charm in the SmartTV interface. The touchpad moves the mouse cursor around easily with minimal lag. Youtube app doesn't work with it the keyboard portion, but everything else checks out.

I don't think any of them work with youtube and netflix for searching. I heard that even the Samsung Keyboard doesn't work well with those apps. Maybe they will make a 2013 keyboard mouse combo for these TV's. I like the Samsung keyboard because it has most of the remote features but not sure If it works well either. I wonder If anyone here has tried it on these new smart 2013 TV's.
post #823 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 AM

Liked: 26
I have the 64F8500. Can someone give me a thorough explanation of what ABL is? I have noticed when there is a white background in a TV scene that brightness fluctuates and I am assuming this is what ABL is. I have also noticed it slightly in darker scenes.

Thanks
post #824 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So it's safe to assume that you're completely happy with your decision to purchase the F8500?

Absolutely. My only remaining concern is one I'd have for any plasma, being more careful about IR than I've grown accustomed to with LED. From a pure PQ standpoint, absolutely zero concerns.

Similarly, if I bought a Sony 950, I'd be somewhat concerned about banding and how it might affect the individual sample I bought. When I compare these two issues (IR & banding), I feel I have more control over the IR issue than the banding.

But having seen the F8500 on several occasions now, I think it's a fabulous panel IMO. smile.gif
post #825 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Ken, how do you feel the motion is on the Elite in comparison to the F8500 and VT50? What setting do you have your Elite on? I can't decide between low and off.

They looked pretty similar, but I didn't look at motion too extensively on the F8500. Plasma already has a great reputation for motion handling, so it was never really a concern. As for the Elite, I have all the motion handling stuff turned off.
post #826 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackobots View Post

So I guess we can put you in the 'happy owner' column? biggrin.gif

Congrats.
post #827 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

I have the 64F8500. Can someone give me a thorough explanation of what ABL is? I have noticed when there is a white background in a TV scene that brightness fluctuates and I am assuming this is what ABL is. I have also noticed it slightly in darker scenes.

Thanks

ABL is the 'throttling back' of full screen brightness as might occur when a full screen white is called for. Due to the power restrictions of the panel, the display is unable to provide as bright a white on a full screen as it can in a smaller area. Thus when you see the screen go full white as it does often at the end of a commercial, you'll see a noticeable dimming as the panel just can't achieve that same level of brightness. The 8500 is less impacted by this issue as are other plasmas as I believe it may have a beefier power supply, but it's certainly not immune.

For an LED, it's not issue at all and full screen bright whites are easy.
post #828 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Absolutely. My only remaining concern is one I'd have for any plasma, being more careful about IR than I've grown accustomed to with LED. From a pure PQ standpoint, absolutely zero concerns.

Similarly, if I bought a Sony 950, I'd be somewhat concerned about banding and how it might affect the individual sample I bought. When I compare these two issues (IR & banding), I feel I have more control over the IR issue than the banding.

But having seen the F8500 on several occasions now, I think it's a fabulous panFrom Subject Received
Chris Ryan FW: UAC Blocking Java Script from Working 10/25/2012 el IMO. smile.gif

Thanks Ken! I'm glad you're happy, that's all that matters! smile.gif I'm just in a pickle with IR because my TV stays on for days at a time. Me and my wife work opposite schedules and we both sleep with the TV on, albeit in a "dim" mode, and it just doesn't get turned off very often. I sleep with the H2, Discovery, and Science channel on so there is a logo most of the time. I really want to switch to plasma this year, but am concerned that my excessive TV usage will be bad for plasma. Any thoughts on this?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #829 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:

I love BDI's stuff. I'm mounting the set on a BDI piece.
BDI makes nice furniture, can get expensive though........
post #830 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Thanks Ken! I'm glad you're happy, that's all that matters! smile.gif I'm just in a pickle with IR because my TV stays on for days at a time. Me and my wife work opposite schedules and we both sleep with the TV on, albeit in a "dim" mode, and it just doesn't get turned off very often. I sleep with the H2, Discovery, and Science channel on so there is a logo most of the time. I really want to switch to plasma this year, but am concerned that my excessive TV usage will be bad for plasma. Any thoughts on this?

Can't you use the sleep timer?

From anecdotal evidence, it seems the F series is more IR prone than the E series (the E series was particularly good about IR). I base this on 2, 3 reports of IR from the few owners we have so far.

Anyway, I think if you use tv as a background, plasma is probably not a good choice.
post #831 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It may well be that LED is a better choice for you. As I said, during break in you could use the zoom as one poster suggested, to move logos around or totally off the screen. But if your viewing habits call for a logo blazing away for days on end, then maybe you should seriously consider the XBR950. It's got superb PQ too. Its only downsides are narrow viewing angle (if that means anything to you) and the possibility of some banding. Most owners don't seem to be bothered by the banding since it's generally mild. Just make sure that where ever you buy it you can either exchange it (if you get one with bad banding) or return it if you so choose. That approach would hold true for most any TV IMO.
post #832 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, has anyone tested gaming out on the 8500 yet? How is the input lag? I was really waiting for the Panasonic ZT. But if the ST is any indication of what the 2013 Panasonics will have for input lag. I'm out on the ZT. Thanks
post #833 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Agreed.
post #834 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:

Agreed.
While still expensive, I like the stuff from standout designs better. Solid wood too smile.gif
post #835 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is anyone in a position rate the 3D quality on the F8500? I am especially interested in how much (or little) crosstalk there is and the overall depth, clarity, and brightness of the 3D display. Ideally, how does it stack up next to the F8000, or last year's ES8000? I have over 50 3D Blu-rays and am seriously considering upgrading from an ES8000, but 3D performance is definitely important to me and I want to make sure the F8500 delivers a comparable 3D experience. Unfortunately, the local BB does not have a Magnolia section, and no one else in town carries the F8500, so I can't see it for myself.
post #836 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Can't you use the sleep timer?

From anecdotal evidence, it seems the F series is more IR prone than the E series (the E series was particularly good about IR). I base this on 2, 3 reports of IR from the few owners we have so far.

Anyway, I think if you use tv as a background, plasma is probably not a good choice.

Quote:

It may well be that LED is a better choice for you. As I said, during break in you could use the zoom as one poster suggested, to move logos around or totally off the screen. But if your viewing habits call for a logo blazing away for days on end, then maybe you should seriously consider the XBR950. It's got superb PQ too. Its only downsides are narrow viewing angle (if that means anything to you) and the possibility of some banding. Most owners don't seem to be bothered by the banding since it's generally mild. Just make sure that where ever you buy it you can either exchange it (if you get one with bad banding) or return it if you so choose. That approach would hold true for most any TV IMO.

Thanks for the responses...

I guess I could zoom the picture or start being more conservative with my TV usage and set a timer. This seems to be the only alternatives for me being able to nab a plasma this year. The 65" XBR950 LED/LCD is definitely on my short list (I've read that the 65" has a better panel with better viewing angles and many more zones than the 55"), along with the 64F8500 and 65ZT60 plasma TVs. I'm really torn between these 3. I still have to wait for the review of the ZT and the shootout, but I just want to be sure that plasma should even be in my lineup because if not, then there's no need to wait to upgrade, LOL! biggrin.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #837 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I second this. I use the BI 8929 choco walnut. Very nice stuff though.
post #838 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

Hello, has anyone tested gaming out on the 8500 yet? How is the input lag? I was really waiting for the Panasonic ZT. But if the ST is any indication of what the 2013 Panasonics will have for input lag. I'm out on the ZT. Thanks

I've played Bioshock Infinite and found it to be quite laggy. To be fair, Digital Foundry found the Xbox version to be more laggy than the other versions. A switch over to game mode did a solid job of clearing it up. This weekend I'll try some other games and see if I need to switch to game mode for all of them or if this was solely a problem with Bioshock.
post #839 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

Is anyone in a position rate the 3D quality on the F8500? I am especially interested in how much (or little) crosstalk there is and the overall depth, clarity, and brightness of the 3D display. Ideally, how does it stack up next to the F8000, or last year's ES8000? I have over 50 3D Blu-rays and am seriously considering upgrading from an ES8000, but 3D performance is definitely important to me and I want to make sure the F8500 delivers a comparable 3D experience. Unfortunately, the local BB does not have a Magnolia section, and no one else in town carries the F8500, so I can't see it for myself.

I watched various scenes from the Avatar, Avengers and Resident Evil 3d Blu Rays. I found it to be a nice step up from the D7000 I had. I thought the D7000 was great for 3d too!
post #840 of 12892 Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks mightymouse, I would really like to hear more about the gaming on this set. I don't do a lot. But I have to have my BF3 fix every so often. Thanks again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page