Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8371 of 12842 Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinchats View Post

Happy 4th to all and to me. Pulled the trigger today at BB on the 64" for $2,736.32 out the door plus I get 2% back from my credit card.

Did they price match? If so whom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They price matched East Coast TV
post #8373 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 15
Hi, guys. Do any of you know if Samsung is aware of the buzzing issue, and if it is working on a fix (assuming they have deemed it an issue to begin with)? I was ready to pull the plug at the local BB yesterday, but their demo unit was buzzing loudly... this was with a lot of background noise from action scenes in the Avengers and Transformers. Funny thing is, I didn't notice the buzz about a week ago when I first demo'd the unit.

I thought about posting this experience here to gather some more info from current owners.

Any input is appreciated.
post #8374 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

Hi, guys. Do any of you know if Samsung is aware of the buzzing issue, and if it is working on a fix (assuming they have deemed it an issue to begin with)? I was ready to pull the plug at the local BB yesterday, but their demo unit was buzzing loudly... this was with a lot of background noise from action scenes in the Avengers and Transformers. Funny thing is, I didn't notice the buzz about a week ago when I first demo'd the unit.

I thought about posting this experience here to gather some more info from current owners.

Any input is appreciated.

Plasma displays didn't get the nickname buzzers for no reason. biggrin.gif However with that said there are a few main variables that one should take into consideration. cool.gif

1. How far above sea level you are? This will affect the pressure of the Xeon gas in each chamber making the plasma buzz more or less.

2. How susceptible you are to that specific frequency or sound / buzzing obviously. For some people it is very noticeable for others not so much. I find that if you have a history with plasma displays it's not generally an issue, but if you're coming from LED to Plasma it may be an issue so be aware of that.

3. Room Acoustics. There are many variables in audible sound clarity and frequency depending specifically on your environment and or how well your room reflects sound or absorbs it. This is all in relationship to your Plasma display position and location from you and the wall, since this is an inherent technology issue factor that is casing the issue.
Phanes likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8375 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 13
I finally got to see the PNF8500 next to all of the panasonics yesterday at the best buy magnolia near me. They had all 4 on the wall 2x2 next to each other in the dim viewing area. ST, VT, ZT PNF8500. Prior to my visit I was all set to buy the ST60 or VT60 based on the awesome reviews but all 3 panasonics were dim even in this non flourescent lit portion of the store. Even my 5 year old asked why they are so dark. The PNF8500 looked awesome and vibrant. I asked the worker there to make sure all the sets were in the same mode and the panasonics were all set to "THQ Cinema" I believe. The other default picture modes only made them darker. The dimmest of the bunch was the ZT...my wife said the picture looked dingy or like we were watching it through a tinted window. This makes me wonder if I am crazy but I have gone to two other stores that had the ST60 and they looked dim there too.

Now i am bummed because Pauls TV has the VT60 for $1999 right now which is awesome but I want the PNF8500 which nobody has for under $2797 due to the pricing policy set by Samsung. frown.gif
Ken Ross likes this.
post #8376 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post

1. How far above sea level you are? This will affect the pressure of the Xeon gas in each chamber making the plasma buzz more or less.

So I'd assume the display would buzz more at higher altitudes?
post #8377 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
anyone has updated his Sammy with new firmware dated 7/5/2013?
it's an auto-update,can someone confirm any improvements in general,please.
I have a very slow connection.
thanks
post #8378 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
post #8379 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

anyone has updated his Sammy with new firmware dated 7/5/2013?
it's an auto-update,can someone confirm any improvements in general,please.
I have a very slow connection.
thanks

Haven't seen that one yet. Did you get it yet? Any changes?
post #8380 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
^^^
not yet,my connection is very slow,will wait until a USB version is available.
post #8381 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

So I'd assume the display would buzz more at higher altitudes?

Here's another way you can look at it. Think of the chambers in the same way you would a scuba divers oxygen tank on his back, the further down one goes the more the more pressure you have around your tank making the gases more compressed. Any change in elevation above the measured sea level at the time of measuring the gas pressure during manufacturing will change the way the chamber works. The opposite is true as well, the further you go above see level the gasses in the chamber will expand and again change the recommended balance for optimal power consumption and viewing thereby creating your buzzing sound. Specifically the further you are above see level the more power is needed to vaporize the mercury and ignite the Xion gas in the chamber. Additionally the further you are out of sea level range the quicker your Plasma display will burn out, but you would have to be way out of sea level range for that to make much of significant difference I would imagine. cool.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8382 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

For those of you that use a stand with the 64" F8500 which one do you use? My current Sony stand is not wide enough.

Anyone have some good pictures of the 64" F8500 sitting on a stand?

Thx.

Here is my 64" sitting on a stand from Standout Design. Built in fans, shelf for the center speaker hidden behind the black fabric, very nice craftsmanship.
post #8383 of 12842 Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ola67 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

For those of you that use a stand with the 64" F8500 which one do you use? My current Sony stand is not wide enough.

Anyone have some good pictures of the 64" F8500 sitting on a stand?

Thx.

Here is my 64" sitting on a stand from Standout Design. Built in fans, shelf for the center speaker hidden behind the black fabric, very nice craftsmanship.
Normally it's recommended to have your center channel speaker extending out from an enclosure an inch or two.
post #8384 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Normally it's recommended to have your center channel speaker extending out from an enclosure an inch or two.
Thats to keep from getting unwanted reflections from the shelf itself. You can achieve the same thing by moving it as far forward as you can and angling it up in the front. As low as it sits in that stand its probably a good idea to prop it up anyway. Ideally you want it pointed directly at the listening position.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8385 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:

Thats to keep from getting unwanted reflections from the shelf itself. You can achieve the same thing by moving it as far forward as you can and angling it up in the front. As low as it sits in that stand its probably a good idea to prop it up anyway. Ideally you want it pointed directly at the listening position.
According to UMR, an enclosure that surrounds a speaker can negatively effect it's imaging ability. Of course, moving the speaker as far forward as possible and angeling it to point to ear level in the main listening position is a good thing. In the case in question, the speaker is probably elevated enough to be higher than the frame for the cloth covering the opening. I guess that would depend on the height of the opening and the height of the center channel speaker.

My only direct experience with encloses and speakers came in the early 1970s. When we lived in Bangkok for two years we had a nine foot set of teak cabinets built to house a stereo system based on two twenty four inch book shelf speakers. The speakers were meant to stand on end, behind speaker cloth. I didn't take into account the depth of the frame that held the cloth. which meant the speakers were about one inch back in the end cabinets.

What I achieved was a gorgeous costume made teak stereo system that was in no way a stereo sound system. It was an acoustic mess. But the cabinets fit the exact space in our home back in San Jose. eek.gif

Maybe if I had specified that the book shelf speakers had to fit inside the frame, and up against the audio cloth, it might have sounded better, but the end cabinets were designed for the speakers to fit snug. redface.gif

Live, learn and enjoy. smile.gif
post #8386 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Another thing you have to look at when putting a speaker in an enclosure like that is whether it is front or rear ported. If you put a rear ported speaker in an enclosure like that you can run into issues. Thats why many center channel speakers are either sealed or front ported.

post #8387 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Another thing you have to look at when putting a speaker in an enclosure like that is whether it is front or rear ported. If you put a rear ported speaker in an enclosure like that you can run into issues. Thats why many center channel speakers are either sealed or front ported.
Very true. Ours is sealed, angled up, right at the edge of the surface that it sits on, not enclosed, and it's too damed big. I'm surprised I ever got it by the design chair person. :wink.gif
post #8388 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments. Yes my Sonus Faber Toy is positioned right in the front, against the fabric, and as far up as possible (below the fabric frame), and angled upwards. It is also a front ported speaker as you mention. Further, the center speaker compartment is open in the back of the cabinet. I have not heard any issues with having it this way.
post #8389 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the comments. Yes my Sonus Faber Toy is positioned right in the front, against the fabric, and as far up as possible (below the fabric frame), and angled upwards. It is also a front ported speaker as you mention. Further, the center speaker compartment is open in the back of the cabinet. I have not heard any issues with having it this way.
Good deal. Nice cabinet.

post #8390 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Nice stand. What are the dimensions?
post #8391 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'd like to hear how bright 3D is on the 64", If you've seen 3D on a 4k set, how does it compare? I was seriously thinking about getting into 4k but the LCD/LED short comings are making me think twice. 4k sets have a nice bright 3D picture though and that is what I'm after. Also the last time I had a Samsung it had brightness pops. Anyone getting the pops on the new TVs?
post #8392 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Last year I was looking for a stand for my 65VT50. I looked so long that I got weary of looking. I went on BB and found a 68" wide Whalen stand. The center channel area was exactly the right size and it had a storage draw beneath and the shelving area on both sides. It was listed as a close-out and the price was half the 685.00 that was the original price. When they placed the order it came up as 250.00 though. The stand is solid wood and came already assembled in the box. One of the best bargains I've come across and a blessing from above..
post #8393 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

What size TV ? If it's the 60", I went to Samsung's Website and it say's 54.8 Wide X 11.8 Deep. If it's any other Model you can go to Samsung's website and click on Plasma Tv's. The click on the model you want, and then click on Specs. If you need any further instruction on How to access the Samsung Website, Please Do a Google Search and Type in Samsung Plasma then when these come up be sure to click on the Official Samsung Website. If this don't Help you. Repost and we will walk you thru everything from turning the Computer On.
Quote:

64" and look for my request for the walk thru in the future. Thanks

Okay, delivery is wednesday. I can turn my computer on but since I am a senior (not school) and not a videophile I would like to know if there is anything I should look for and/or do before I sign for the delivery and let the guy leave. I intend to take it out of the box and power up. It is from BB so I do have 15 days to return it.
post #8394 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I would like to know if there is anything I should look for and/or do before I sign for the delivery and let the guy leave. I intend to take it out of the box and power up.
Before you turn on your set, take a flashlight and shine it across the screen -- not directly at it. look for tiny cracks in the glass. You don't want to accept any set that looks like it has a damaged screen. Then make sure it will power on.
Quote:
It is from BB so I do have 15 days to return it.
You need to talk to the Magnolia manager about that. If you've spent enough money in the past year, you are entitled to some benefits. One of them is an extended trial period.
post #8395 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What they should do since you bought it from BB, is put the stand on it and place it on a Table or cabinet. They will not wall mount it. They will do a bit of setup for you while they are there, like Hook a Coax to it and Auto run the channels, set the time zone small stuff like that. They will not hook up all your Satellite equipment and DVD players. You can of course get anything your willing to Pay For.
The good thing is you bought it from your local BB and nothing can be wrong that they can't make right in a short amount of time.
The one thing I can recommend is before they set it in its place or turn it on, take a flash light on the Black screen and shine it at a angle in a dark room or area.. Go left to right and then right to left slowly. The go Top to bottom and then go bottom to top. What your looking for is something that looks like silver thread flashes or a single strand spider web in the glass. If you have any they will show up as Flashes. Indicating a Micro Crack that may not be seen any other way or at just the right angle.
The other thing is never use anything to clean it with other than a Micro Fiber cloth and Bottled or distilled water. If you reuse the micro fiber cloth later after you wash it. Do not put it in the dryer with a fabric softener sheet or you will have a serious smear problem on your screen. Never Ever use any type of Cleaner, I don't care what the cleaner says on it. Some cleaner's will look really good the first 10 times and then you find out you are slowly removing the film coating on the screen and later in a few months you will have smears you can never get out. Don't even clean the trim with a cleaner.
One last thing Never go into the service menu I don't care what you read on these boards. There's just No reason too.
This should get you started. More later.
Glen

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #8396 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Before you turn on your set, take a flashlight and shine it across the screen -- not directly at it. look for tiny cracks in the glass. You don't want to accept any set tht looks like it has a damaged screen. Then make sure it will power on.

You need to talk to the Magnolia manager about that. If you've spent enough money in the past year, you are entitled to some benefits. One of them is an extended trial period.
Sorry htwaits I didn't type fast enough for the flashlight trick you were a keystroke ahead of me.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #8397 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Quote:

Before you turn on your set, take a flashlight and shine it across the screen -- not directly at it. look for tiny cracks in the glass. You don't want to accept any set tht looks like it has a damaged screen. Then make sure it will power on.

Sorry htwaits I didn't type fast enough for the flashlight trick you were a keystroke ahead of me.
You certainly type faster with more content than I do. wink.gif
post #8398 of 12842 Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

They price matched East Coast TV

Which state do you live in?

Panasonic GT50 55"
Pansaonic VT60 60"
post #8399 of 12842 Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:

The outer dimensions are 22x22x70

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/homepage/products/majestic-70-solid-wood-tv-console-media-stand
post #8400 of 12842 Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

California. It was matched at BB in Oxnard.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page