Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 283 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Thanks Dave, I saw that. Unfortunately it seems to be the same list as was posted for previous updates. So I guess we're in the dark as to what this update actually does. confused.gif

Ken: Thanks for the heads-up. I'll apply the firmware update when I get home next week.

Dave

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz AV8801, MM8077, MM7025, OPPO BDP-103, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, DirecTV HD DVRs HR44-500 & HR24-100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Liked: 10

This is probably 3 separate posts in 1.
I will contact Samsung Support today and will also ask for more info on the latest firmware update available in the USA.. There are several issues plaguing a install with this series TV. Not sure if anyone can offer some insight on them....

IR or 2-way control using 3rd Party remotes & automation:
I would like to know if anyone has tried attaching a IR Emitter on one of these. I'm having trouble locating the sensor. It will be used primarily for turning the PN64F8500 on/off via a Control4 automation system.. I wish there was an rs232 serial connector on the back in order to get 2-way communication with the Control4 system. Manufacturers need to get onboard and offer more IP Control for use with automation controllers. C'mon manufacturers start supporting the needs of system integrators in the trenches!

Onscreen Message Popup's:
Sometimes I get a message on the TV especially when changing sources on the Denon receiver that pops up telling me there is no signal detected from my external device or something to this effect. It requires using the TV remote to press "OK" to clear the message. This is very annoying. It would be nice if there was some way of over riding these interactive messages that require user input.. Some of you may know what I'm talking about and may have experienced the message. I can send a screen shot if necessary.

Audio Return Channel (ARC) is not working with several apps such as Skype
Manual says to set Auto 3D to off or set 3D to off. HDMI cable is ARC supported and is plugged into HDMI #3 input with ARC support. Will try the 3D settings at the customers house to see if this really help pipe the sound through the Denon receiver instead of internal TV speakers.

"How Can You Have Any Pudding If You Don't Eat Yer Meat"
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by esapper View Post

Onscreen Message Popup's:
Sometimes I get a message on the TV especially when changing sources on the Denon receiver that pops up telling me there is no signal detected from my external device or something to this effect. It requires using the TV remote to press "OK" to clear the message. This is very annoying. It would be nice if there was some way of over riding these interactive messages that require user input.. Some of you may know what I'm talking about and may have experienced the message. I can send a screen shot if necessary.

I get the same message sometimes. Yes, it's annoying. No way to suppress it that I'm aware of. If you find one pls post it.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 11
Picking up my 60F8500 today!! Going to wall mount it. If possible could owners who have mounted their TV send suggestions on which mounts have worked best for them.
Thanks in advance.
HATOMIE likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

Picking up my 60F8500 today!! Going to wall mount it. If possible could owners who have mounted their TV send suggestions on which mounts have worked best for them.
Thanks in advance.

This is the mount I bought from monopice.com it's extremely cheap and worked fantastic!! Many many great reviews too.

Ultra-Slim Adjustable Tilting Wall Mount Bracket for LCD LED Plasma (Max 165Lbs, 37~63inch**) - BLACK
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

That's funny. In the US we're on 1104. So where in the world is 1107 being released?
Who knows, things are very different in other countries. Including power for instance. This new firmware may have to do with specific regions. With this said the US might never get this exact version.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked: 1551
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Who knows, things are very different in other countries. Including power for instance. This new firmware may have to do with specific regions. With this said the US might never get this exact version.
ok,let's assume that this is the case,though it's not true,as us-based unit won't auto update with anon-us firmware(only smart apps will do according to your ip).
no Samsung regional site has a higher build than the ver.1105,you can check this out your self,so where did this 1107 came from?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I have a huge problem with my 60" F8500. I've had it for a little while now and it never had any problems, I had a video game paused while I cooked dinner so I put the scroll on like I usually do. When I came back after eating and looked at the tv, there's what looks to be a magenta vertical line almost on the center of the screen! Has anyone ever had this happen before?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
QC raising its head. Just be glad you're still within the one-year warranty, as you will need to deal with the manufacturer directly if you can't remedy it yourself.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 169
^The scroller SW may have crashed. Pull the plug for 30 seconds then turn back on and see if you see any related artifacts.
If not turn scroll again for a while and test.

It sounds like a glitch in the TV's matrix.

The TV menu has crashed on me a few times when calibrating. This may just be related.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I unplugged the tv for hours now and it's still there. frown.gif It's about 4-5 inches away from being dead center on the screen. It's a solid magenta vertical line, probably 1 pixel wide. It's on there for all my sources and even the scroll. I got the tv open box from blinq.com less than 2 months ago. Of course they're closed on weekends so I have to wait until Monday to get a hold of them. If they won't fix it and it still isn't under warranty I'll just try and sell it for like $1,000 and get a VT60. frown.gif
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

I unplugged the tv for hours now and it's still there. frown.gif It's about 4-5 inches away from being dead center on the screen. It's a solid magenta vertical line, probably 1 pixel wide. It's on there for all my sources and even the scroll. I got the tv open box from blinq.com less than 2 months ago. Of course they're closed on weekends so I have to wait until Monday to get a hold of them. If they won't fix it and it still isn't under warranty I'll just try and sell it for like $1,000 and get a VT60. frown.gif
You are supposed to call Samsung service with this kind of problem. Don't confuse them with how the problem happened.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

Thanks in advance.

I got the Sanus Systems XF228 articulating mount, it's a beast and would have no trouble handling your 60" beauty.. It is expensive but I was lucky enough to find it:rolleyes: on eBay for half price, the seller was actually a electronic dealer and listed it as a open box but when it arrived it was factory fresh..
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You are supposed to call Samsung service with this kind of problem. Don't confuse them with how the problem happened.

What sucks is the longer it stays on there it's going to cause long term damage because that line is going to burn in. The pixels around the line on a black screen are already starting to sparkle and glitch. frown.gif The line just literally showed up out of nowhere, it wasn't there all this time, and then it just appeared while I had it on the scroll. Here's a few pics of it, it's impossible to ignore it and very distracting when watching tv.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

What sucks is the longer it stays on there it's going to cause long term damage because that line is going to burn in. The pixels around the line on a black screen are already starting to sparkle and glitch. frown.gif The line just literally showed up out of nowhere, it wasn't there all this time, and then it just appeared while I had it on the scroll. Here's a few pics of it, it's impossible to ignore it and very distracting when watching tv.

Open box should still include the full year warranty, right? If so, Samsung should cover this. Even if it was a 90 day refurb warranty you're inside that, so shouldn't be a problem. I'd be surprised if you could sell that for $1000, but that's just me.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

What sucks is the longer it stays on there it's going to cause long term damage because that line is going to burn in.
You have a defective panel if I understand what you've written. You need to get it fixed. If you have a warranty, then they will probably replace the panel.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 169
That's a defect and is not software sorry.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

so where did this 1107 came from?
From Samsung I would hope.

This just came into my mind......... Hey viruses "of sorts " for TV's may soon be available, I hope not though. Manufacturers have pushed out bad firmware. There was a Samsung update that screwed up a lot of people units for a day, last year i think that was.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Finally got mine delivered after a 2 week wait. Thanks, Pilot Freight. mad.gif Anyway, this thing is awesome. I'll never go back to LCD/LED now. And the buzzing is so faint that I can't hear it unless I stick my head behind it, so the loud buzzing must be a defect, I'm guessing. Good thing because I was a little worried about it. I was also worried that I wasted money spending so much on a TV. But after finding some settings and watching a movie on it, those worries are gone. Money very well spent for sure.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

From Samsung I would hope.

This just came into my mind......... Hey viruses "of sorts " for TV's may soon be available, I hope not though. Manufacturers have pushed out bad firmware. There was a Samsung update that screwed up a lot of people units for a day, last year i think that was.

That was the ver.xxx46 I mentioned earlier,it was there for 1 day.
what's driving me crazy is,that no firmware with number 1107 anywhere in the world,not for plasma,nor for led,the higher you can get is 1105.2 ?
so I guess I'm the only lucky victim(curiosity killed the cat),anyway no harm don as far as I can tell.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
I have been following all the F8500 threads from their inception and just joined the forum today because I just got my own 8500. Mostly, I watch TV (cable and streaming) and, to a lesser degree, watch movies (disk & streaming). I have always favored LED over plasma because of brightness. But, the 8500 seems to have the best of both worlds. So,...I took a leap of faith. I would like to achieve the highest level of brightness while watching TV without losing noticeable color and sharpness detail. Right or wrong set aside, I'm not a strict purist but, I would like to receive the maximum viewing benefit based on my non-purist like for brightness. Can you guys recommend certain "settings" that may come the closest to what I would like to achieve? I'm looking for a good starting point and, from there I suppose I can adjust them if need be. I assume for watching movies that I would want have it set to "Movie" mode? As to watching TV, would it be too much to go with "Standard"? BTW: For the most part, my lighting conditions can be controlled. As an aside, many thanks to all of you who have shared your knowledge - it does not go unnoticed nor un-appreciated!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Finally got mine delivered after a 2 week wait. Thanks, Pilot Freight. mad.gif Anyway, this thing is awesome. I'll never go back to LCD/LED now. And the buzzing is so faint that I can't hear it unless I stick my head behind it, so the loud buzzing must be a defect, I'm guessing. Good thing because I was a little worried about it. I was also worried that I wasted money spending so much on a TV. But after finding some settings and watching a movie on it, those worries are gone. Money very well spent for sure.

unfortunately you may not have a choice down the road.eek.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

No one has posted an issue like mine before? I guess I'm the first one this has happened to. Shouldn't my tv be covered regardless? Don't all Samsung tvs have a 1 year warranty, I'm just saying because the tv hasn't even been out a year.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No one has posted an issue like mine before? I guess I'm the first one this has happened to. Shouldn't my tv be covered regardless? Don't all Samsung tvs have a 1 year warranty, I'm just saying because the tv hasn't even been out a year.
The only reason your TV wouldn't have a warranty is if you got it off the back of a truck. smile.gif

I don't understand why you haven't contacted Samsung. Do you have proof of purchase? As far as I know, that's all you need.
vinnie97 likes this.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
I would like to achieve the highest level of brightness while watching TV without losing noticeable color and sharpness detail. Right or wrong set aside, I'm not a strict purist but, I would like to receive the maximum viewing benefit based on my non-purist like for brightness. Can you guys recommend certain "settings" that may come the closest to what I would like to achieve? I'm looking for a good starting point and, from there I suppose I can adjust them if need be. I assume for watching movies that I would want have it set to "Movie" mode? As to watching TV, would it be too much to go with "Standard"?
The picture mode names are just "names". You can watch movies or tv broadcasts day or night with any picture mode setting. Cell light 20, contrast in the mid 90's, brightness around 50, gamma +3....this is a good start for your brightness predisposition preference. You'll probably require two picture modes, one with the high brightness settings as you desire, and one for night time viewing with less brightness because at night, I find the settings I watch during the day are too intense for me....this is not for all channel broadcasts and movies, however. Just the ones that are brighter than the norm...
Old 07-13-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only reason your TV wouldn't have a warranty is if you got it off the back of a truck. smile.gif

I don't understand why you haven't contacted Samsung. Do you have proof of purchase? As far as I know, that's all you need.

not even that...as long as it has a valid s/n and falls within the 1yr warranty(obviously it would) it should be covered. doesn't matter if someone bought it from the guy who lives in a van down by the river.biggrin.gif

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 07-13-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

not even that...as long as it has a valid s/n and falls within the 1yr warranty(obviously it would) it should be covered. doesn't matter if someone bought it from the guy who lives in a van down by the river.biggrin.gif

I've seen manufacturer refurbs that only carry a 90-day warranty, so it's not a guarantee that all sets have 1 year. But given the time frame in OP's post I agree Samsung should cover it.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

I've seen manufacturer refurbs that only carry a 90-day warranty, so it's not a guarantee that all sets have 1 year. But given the time frame in OP's post I agree Samsung should cover it.

did I miss something? I thought slickman purchased new.

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

did I miss something? I thought slickman purchased new.

He said "open box" from blinq.com. Who knows what that means? I was also responding to a post that said buying from a guy in a van would have a 1 yr warranty. That may not be true.

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv