Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

That sounds like nonsense. Why would Samsung have these cal modes ready for enabling if they had the potential to 'burn the boards'?

Exactly!

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ok. So lets say it Buzzes. Now that we got that settled.
What's Next ?

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #8643 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Live with it, try to mask it somehow, or buy something else. No much option unfortunately.
post #8644 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I really dunno,I thought people buy TVs for watching their TV shows,movies..etc ,and not placing their heads next to the TV,spending time to see if they can hear any buzzing?
unless it become's annoying from where you set,I suggest we ignore it,and enjoy our TVs.
post #8645 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector View Post

I really dunno,I thought people buy TVs for watching their TV shows,movies..etc ,and not placing their heads next to the TV,spending time to see if they can hear any buzzing?
unless it become's annoying from where you set,I suggest we ignore it,and enjoy our TVs.

I think for those who it's annoying to (like mine in my bedroom), people use the ear comparison as exactly that... a comparison. That way, they're telling me what/where they can hear it out of their TV's.

That's what i expect out of a plasma. If there's a small buzz coming from the back like my 2005 Panny does, then okay. I can't hear it at normal volume, and I honestly can't even recognize that it's there when I need to. It just doesn't sound unnatural. What's coming out of my Sammy upstairs is not natural, and would cause people to bring up questions about it.

It simply cannot happen to my new F8500 when I pick it up tomorrow, that's all I'm saying. I don't know whether I should actually be expecting it when I get it, and be ready to pay a damn restocking fee.
post #8646 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

Another possibility: Is there something particular to your install of the unit? Is it hung on the wall or standing on a table? Are there washers in between the screws for the wall mount (I use the foam cover that came with the TV between the screws and the back of the wall mount to cushion it)?

Not saying that you're not just unlucky, but from seeing people's fixes for plasma buzzes on Youtube, it's anywhere from screws without washers to bad capacitors. Also, others report that pushing the frame in fixed the buzz. Can you duplicate the buzz while the TV is on the stand and hung up on the wall as well? What if you isolate it from the rest of your AV systems? Just throwing out ideas but the fact that you got two loud buzzing TV's in a row could potentially point to an external cause other than the TV itself.

No, the TV sit on the stand and the stand is sit on a wooden panel as a riser which sit on top of my TV cabinet.
post #8647 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 693
anecdotal evidence seems to suggest some PEOPLE have more problems with buzzing then other PEOPLE.

to me this suggests it's most often an issue with sensitivity and set up. I can tell you with 100% certainty that my f8500 does in fact buzz. and when i'm surfing the web on my HTPC and flip from a dark website to a bright white website I can notice the buzz because of the change in volume. I can also tell you that I would consider the buzzing on the f8500(and my previous plasmas) to be about as noticeable as the buzz I hear when the lights are turned on and far less noticeable than the buzz I heard with CRT's. it's something that is very easy to ignore, and blends in with the background noise. when i'm watching actual video content with sound, I can't hear it no matter how much I try from my viewing position or any reasonable distance from the TV.

I wouldn't think of myself as somebody that doesn't care about these things. I think I've pretty picky, bordering on anal about my gear and viewing experience. that's one of the reasons I ended up with an f8500 in the first place wink.gif

i'm sure that install location(what materials are behind the tv, etc) and how much you let your head tell you what your ears are hearing will affect your experience. it may also be that the frequency that is the most noticeable is higher than most ppl can hear, and those 'lucky' enough to have a full range of hearing will be troubled by it. i'd be interested to know how many ppl that are bothered by the buzzing can hear those 'silent, young ppl only' ring tones on cell phones. i'm a high school teacher, 29, and I can still hear those things, but it's definitely not super obvious when they go off anymore.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #8648 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Got my 51f8500 in today. Beautiful tv!

Setup:
- Bowers & Wilkins 685, HTMC62B Speakers, ASW61 Sub -
- Denon 1713 Receiver -
- Panamax MR5100 -
- Samsung PN51F8500 -
post #8649 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Greetings everyone. In need of some desperate help.

I recently purchased the PSN60F8500 plasma and have spent the majority of my time trying to optismise the screen settings.
Foolishly I've gone into the service menu settings, once again trying to optimise my settings. I was using the smaller remote and tried to find cal day/ cal night and accidentally changed my 'type' settings, under Option, Mode. Now before everyone says, 'you're an idiot, don't play with those settings. Your warranty is now over, etc.' Yes, I am now aware that I should have stayed out of this and yes it was an accident, I only wanted to optismise my TV and that's it.

Would someone with the same TV as mine be able to tell me the exact code that should appear in 'type'? I've changed it to '60A2UF8E' thinking that the 60 would represent my 60 inch.

My TV is working fine and I have noticed a couple of additional settings in my picture settings. So i'm pretty sure that it's not the correct one.

Hopefully the settings for 'type' is consistent for all 60 inches. Would appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!
post #8650 of 12346 Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi912 View Post

I recently purchased the PSN60F8500 plasma and have spent the majority of my time trying to optismise the screen settings.
Foolishly I've gone into the service menu settings, once again trying to optimise my settings. I was using the smaller remote and tried to find cal day/ cal night and accidentally changed my 'type' settings, under Option, Mode. Now before everyone says, 'you're an idiot, don't play with those settings. Your warranty is now over, etc.' Yes, I am now aware that I should have stayed out of this and yes it was an accident, I only wanted to optismise my TV and that's it.

Would someone with the same TV as mine be able to tell me the exact code that should appear in 'type'? I've changed it to '60A2UF8E' thinking that the 60 would represent my 60 inch.

My TV is working fine and I have noticed a couple of additional settings in my picture settings. So i'm pretty sure that it's not the correct one.

Hopefully the settings for 'type' is consistent for all 60 inches. Would appreciate if anyone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!
This is a list of AVS user names for professional calibrators who have worked on the F8500. You can PM them about what should be in the "type" field for your PSN60F8500. You should also ask if the "type" entry has any effect on the operation of the set.

D-Nice
D6500Ken
droptheremote
UMR

You could also PM Chad B who has probably worked on the PSN60F8500. Then there is your dealer if it's not an Internet or big box store where you might get some help. You might also try PMing turbe who knows a lot about these displays. There also may be a PSN60F8500 owner who knows how to go into the service menu safely.

Personally I'm not sure that you should go back in the service menu if your set is still working.
post #8651 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 AM

thanks for your help htwaits
post #8652 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Now I don't have any idea of if all of these are set the same or if they are different per set, but I do have a 60" set and I did take pictures of each screen in my SM. Mine shows the following:

Type = 60FPCrD

Again, I am not saying you should change it or do anything, I am just posting what I see on my set for a reference. I would, as HTWAITS, suggested, contact someone that is in the know about this before making any other changes.

And, personally, if you do ever decide to go back in I would take pictures of everything before you make any changes, or write everything down (never gonna happen that way smile.gif ). At least you will have a point to go back to.

Phil
htwaits likes this.

Samsung PN60F8500 (Calibrated and bought from Value Electronics) - My Settings
Sony BDP-S5100
Tivo HD with 1TB HDD
Tivo Series-3 with 1 TB HDD
Onkyo TX-SR606 A/V Receiver with 5.1 Onkyo speakers.
post #8653 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 AM

Desperately trying to figure things out. I am a Canadian customer. My satellite provider is Bell TV and I have a HD dual tuner 9242. I have now gone through 3 receivers in a week. I have had 2 technicians to figure out the problem. Not a power problem, not a HDMI problem because upon initial install I am able to watch satellite TV for the first day. Power unit off for the evening. In the morning unit cycles on and off but cannot get signal from unit.

My question is and I think right now I am really desperate to find a solution hence I am try to fish for answers. Does anybody think it could be a compatibility issue with the TV? Bell satellite isn't recognized by the smart hub, therefore I can't control the receiver via the TV remote.

Anybody have any theories I would be more than appreciative. The receiver is an older receiver that Bell doesn't even make anymore. I just like it because it is a dual tuner. Therefore when they send me a new one it is actually a refurbished unit. I'm at the point of changing providers that's how frustrated I am. Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered regarding my situation. Sorry forgot mention. Have the 60F8500, bluray works fine and audio components work fine as well. All plugged into a surge and power conditioner. Just trying to make sure it's not a compatibility issue with new TV.
post #8654 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Live with it, try to mask it somehow, or buy something else. No much option unfortunately.
The good news is the majority out there can not here this, or do not have this issue. I rather here a buzz then buy a edge lit LED myself.......
post #8655 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

Desperately trying to figure things out. I am a Canadian customer. My satellite provider is Bell TV and I have a HD dual tuner 9242. I have now gone through 3 receivers in a week. I have had 2 technicians to figure out the problem. Not a power problem, not a HDMI problem because upon initial install I am able to watch satellite TV for the first day. Power unit off for the evening. In the morning unit cycles on and off but cannot get signal from unit.

My question is and I think right now I am really desperate to find a solution hence I am try to fish for answers. Does anybody think it could be a compatibility issue with the TV? Bell satellite isn't recognized by the smart hub, therefore I can't control the receiver via the TV remote.

Anybody have any theories I would be more than appreciative. The receiver is an older receiver that Bell doesn't even make anymore. I just like it because it is a dual tuner. Therefore when they send me a new one it is actually a refurbished unit. I'm at the point of changing providers that's how frustrated I am. Thanks in advance for any help that may be offered regarding my situation. Sorry forgot mention. Have the 60F8500, bluray works fine and audio components work fine as well. All plugged into a surge and power conditioner. Just trying to make sure it's not a compatibility issue with new TV.

Try a different HDMI cable. If that's not it just try leaving the cable box on all the time and turn the TV off. Could well be a sync problem between the TV and that older model STB. I've also had issues in the past where I had to turn components on in a certain order to get them to sync reliably. Last resort you could either get a AVR to sit between the STB and the TV, or perhaps a HDMI switch which would be cheaper and might sync better with the TV.
post #8656 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The good news is the majority out there can not here this, or do not have this issue. I rather here a buzz then buy a edge lit LED myself.......

Yep it's all about trade-offs, I remember when I had my Panasonic VT30 it had both fluctuating brightness issues and buzzing. After a reasonable amount of viewing time I ended up getting a different display, remember that's the key you need to see if these issues bother you during normal viewing content. It's a good idea to always buy from a company that has a good return policy and cares about customer satisfaction that's key. cool.gif

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #8657 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:

thanks for your help htwaits
You're welcome. You've got some excellent help from philwojo too. smile.gif
post #8658 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM

Well Samsung sent a tech out yesterday...he went into the service menu while on the phone with someone I'm assuming was Samsung and checked a few things. Long story short is he told me that there was a problem with one of the boards that control power supply. He has ordered the part(s) and will be back out to take my TV apart when they come in
post #8659 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwojo View Post

Now I don't have any idea of if all of these are set the same or if they are different per set, but I do have a 60" set and I did take pictures of each screen in my SM. Mine shows the following:

Type = 60FPCrD

Again, I am not saying you should change it or do anything, I am just posting what I see on my set for a reference. I would, as HTWAITS, suggested, contact someone that is in the know about this before making any other changes.

And, personally, if you do ever decide to go back in I would take pictures of everything before you make any changes, or write everything down (never gonna happen that way smile.gif ). At least you will have a point to go back to.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil, just waiting on one more confirmation before I select that input for 'type'.
post #8660 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Okay, just got my PN60F8500...

No plasmas are buzz-free, but compared to my PN59D7000 upstairs, buzz most definitely won't be a concern! And gosh, I am so glad of that!

Yeah, I can hear the Sammy buzz sound that I hear in mine, but it's seriously just a non-issue this time. I truly wish I had this with my plasma in my bedroom upstairs, but I'm just thankful I can have one downstairs in the family room without hassle.
post #8661 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

What do you mean by "small remote"? I only received one small metal remote. Did you get 2 with your set?
post #8662 of 12346 Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM

If someone else could give me one more reference point for 'type' from their 60 inch plasma, would be much appreciated.
post #8663 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw this TV today (was available today), 64" model.

I think they really came to top notch now, at least for 1080p.

[]s,
Fernando
post #8664 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Purchased a 64F8500 from Sears 2 weeks ago. Picture looks great. However, when I engage the Black Optimizer on either Auto or Dark Room mode, there is a double image on the bottom half of the screen. It seems to be eliminated when I disengage the black optimizer feature. Does anyone have the same issue or thoughts?
post #8665 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisone View Post

Purchased a 64F8500 from Sears 2 weeks ago. Picture looks great. However, when I engage the Black Optimizer on either Auto or Dark Room mode, there is a double image on the bottom half of the screen. It seems to be eliminated when I disengage the black optimizer feature. Does anyone have the same issue or thoughts?

Update your firmware. If that doesn't work, call Samsung.
post #8666 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 16
Apparently samsung has fixed the issue with the complimentary remote control for PNxxF8500 owners, no more invalid request
abalone likes this.
post #8667 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

Apparently samsung has fixed the issue with the complimentary remote control for PNxxF8500 owners, no more invalid request

How can we get the "complimentary remote?" I only got one.
post #8668 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphron View Post

How can we get the "complimentary remote?" I only got one.

Here:

http://www.samsungsupport.com/remote

(credit to OP for letting us know about this)
post #8669 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

Here:

http://www.samsungsupport.com/remote

(credit to OP for letting us know about this)

Thanks!
post #8670 of 12346 Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 62
Yes and now they will let you fill out the information and it works. Mine is going to be here in 7-10 days.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page