Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 12394 Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by akabrooks View Post

Hey guys,

I haven't had a tv in 5 years and recently got back on the scene. I just went through (bought, used and returned) two separate LCD tvs (toshiba and samsung 6300) because of what I know is called "backlight bleeding". But at the time I basically noticed faint puffs of persistent dull light in some black / gray scene and menus.

Anyhow.. I've learned very quickly that I should be buying a plasma and this set looks good (in the store it looked robust and bright unlike the other plasmas.) The professional reviews either praise, or give deep respect to this set, but it seems that the user reviews mostly give praise but people are harping on the following:

Buzzing
Brightness pops
and a "faint band" across the top.

I'm close to getting this TV but just in case...... are these real problems or are people just nitpicking every little thing? Have any of these problems been solved if they existed? I'm pretty particular when it comes to flaws so if they exist but some people ignore them i would in the end be pretty annoyed.

Also... just as a matter of future proofing, etc - do you think when 802.11ac wireless comes mainstream out we will be able to swap out the wireless card?

having had two Samsung d6300's (neither one lasting more than a week at my house), I can tell you compared to the brutal backlighting in those TV's, they are nitpicking the tiniest imperfections.

honestly, if you can't see it when you try to in the store, you won't see it when you watch normally at home. it's not the same as the backlighting on the LED's, it doesn't magically go away when the lights are turned on. the tv buzzes, either it'll bother you, or it won't. personally, i'm scared to think what the ppl who complain about it would do if a fan turned on in their house, haha. brightness pops are basically non-existent in 2D now. mixed reports in 3D suggest they are still an issue with some content. and again, the band isn't something magical. if you don't see it, it's not there. i'm sure this is more an issue of the filter and how the tv is viewed. it is NOT designed to be viewed off angle vertically. if the tv is mounted over a fireplace or something high up on the wall you will need to tilt it down.

as for future proofing, Samsung does have that module that can be upgraded(supposedly every year, but i'm not sure how many years of support they promise, 4?) but I really don't understand why you'd need to at this point. maybe for newer inputs if it simplifies your system. i'm not sure what you'd need to upgrade the wifi for, but I probably wouldn't count on that being an option.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 12394 Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawphet View Post

I picked up this tv about 2 weeks ago. I work at future shop in Canada and was able to staff it just recently, still hurt the wallet but worth it i think.

The picture quality is absolutely astounding. Zero complaints from me. The bright room performance is why I settled on this guy over the Panasonic.

Sad to say though, the tv has to go back. It is getting exchanged for a second one. I am about 13' back and the buzzing is louder than my soundbar at moderate volumes. Is there lots of people having this issue?

I know I put an e550 up on demo last year and experienced the same thing and do know that this is a common thing on plasma.

Big hopes that the next one doesn't buzz.

Also, while I am watching Netflix via the smart tv app I am noticing my audio cutting out at random points. On Dolby output it will cut on for maybe a second here or there and on PCM out it will cut out for minutes at a time.

Any word on whether this is a common issue or possible fixes? It doesn't happen while playing wiiu.

I assume you checked it wasn't something like feedback or interference in your sound system. my tv buzzes, no doubt, but i'd equate it to the level of hum you get through a dimmer switch, maybe slightly less than that of fluorescent lights. only noticeable when no other sound in the room and I switch between dark and light scenes(gets louder with bright scene). I find the change in volume far more distracting than the noise itself. if it were constant I wouldn't even notice it.
if i'm playing any content, have a fan on in the room, or anything like that it's near impossible to hear, and has yet to distract me at all while watching tv.

post #8733 of 12394 Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

better because it's less aggressive? or do you think it actually blocks more ambient light than the f8500 filter? I didn't spend a ton of time with the zt60 when it did finally arrive, but I didn't think its filter was 'better' than the f8500 at reducing glare or reflections. but it did seem less invasive for sure. the f8500 is really the only tv I've noticed the filter on, it's crazy aggressive for overhead lighting.
The best at dispelling light and maintaining blacks in moderate light, which was most clearly manifested in the shootout at Value Electronics.
post #8734 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I assume you checked it wasn't something like feedback or interference in your sound system. my tv buzzes, no doubt, but i'd equate it to the level of hum you get through a dimmer switch, maybe slightly less than that of fluorescent lights. only noticeable when no other sound in the room and I switch between dark and light scenes(gets louder with bright scene). I find the change in volume far more distracting than the noise itself. if it were constant I wouldn't even notice it.
if i'm playing any content, have a fan on in the room, or anything like that it's near impossible to hear, and has yet to distract me at all while watching tv.

I have everything hooked up through a monster power center/cleaner. I tried 3 different plug ins between that and 2 different plugs on the wall. Cables are standard rocketfish stuff from best buy. So I don't really think its interference.

My apartment has an old fridge, the tv buzzes louder than that fridge when it's cooling. My soundbar is a Samsung e550. At about 20 volume I can still hear the buzzing, especially on black scenes when it is loudest.

I also tried pulling the tv farther away from the wall. It's about 2 feet from the wall.

I really want to keep the model of tv.

Forgot to mention that it doesn't appear to be a problem with the soundbar as the level of buzzing changes with the image on the screen.
post #8735 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM

I think i'm going to pass on this TV. It's very expensive and I see a lot of real-world people with persistent and concurrent issues. Also i had another samsung TV with problems right off the bat, and returned it. It looks to me like samsung is pushing the envelope at the customers expense - i dropped 1,200 on a samsung and it had backlight issues from the moment i got it home.

I'm just going to go with any modern, non-smart plasma tv (like the lg 6500) for a reasonable price. I can't see any reason why a non-complicated average plasma, from a reputable company, in manufactured 2013 should have any problems - and at a decent price point, if it does - it wont be as painful.
post #8736 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
^^^ I thought the smart TV functions would be fairly useless, but now I can't imagine not having them. For example, being able to browse YouTube or Netflix on my phone and then watching it on the TV is very convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

This isn't meant insultingly, but no modern-day HDTV deserves to go without an external audio source. Even a $150 soundbar would suffice.

The Samsung's sound won't be any better. I mean it literally might, but not to suit your needs.

In Movie mode, this TV sounds pretty good. In Standard (default), it is pretty awful.

500 gigs FTW.
post #8737 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The best at dispelling light and maintaining blacks in moderate light, which was most clearly manifested in the shootout at Value Electronics.

did you notice the zt being better with horizontal light and the f8500 being better with overhead light? i don't think the f8500 does much with lights at or near eye level, but shining a light down on the screen does almost nothing, very impressed with that.

post #8738 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have everything hooked up through a monster power center/cleaner. I tried 3 different plug ins between that and 2 different plugs on the wall. Cables are standard rocketfish stuff from best buy. So I don't really think its interference.

My apartment has an old fridge, the tv buzzes louder than that fridge when it's cooling. My soundbar is a Samsung e550. At about 20 volume I can still hear the buzzing, especially on black scenes when it is loudest.

I also tried pulling the tv farther away from the wall. It's about 2 feet from the wall.

Forgot to mention that it doesn't appear to be a problem with the soundbar as the level of buzzing changes with the image on the screen.

loudest on dark scenes? that screams malfunction to me. every plasma i've ever seen was louder with a bright image, when it uses more power.

to be sure it's not interference, you really need to turn everything else off. chances are it's not, but it's so easy to check it's still worth it. leave the soundbar powered off, turn off the tv's speakers, and see what happens. don't assume that just because the sound changes with changes on screen it's coming directly from the tv. if it's somehow interference, the tv using more power could increase the level of interference too.

post #8739 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think i'm going to pass on this TV. It's very expensive and I see a lot of real-world people with persistent and concurrent issues. Also i had another samsung TV with problems right off the bat, and returned it. It looks to me like samsung is pushing the envelope at the customers expense - i dropped 1,200 on a samsung and it had backlight issues from the moment i got it home.

I'm just going to go with any modern, non-smart plasma tv (like the lg 6500) for a reasonable price. I can't see any reason why a non-complicated average plasma, from a reputable company, in manufactured 2013 should have any problems - and at a decent price point, if it does - it wont be as painful.

i'm not sure what issues are scaring you away that you think will be gone with a cheaper plasma?

buzzing? cause that's on every plasma, and is merely related to the power they use. can't really be avoided completely.

if you want something cheaper, at least go for a panasonic ST60 or S60 that still has good picture quality. nothing worse than spending money for a plasma that has worse contrast and blacks than an LCD... i did that once, never again.

you also have to remember, nothing is 100% perfect, ever. and it's not like 30% of owners are complaining about their tv's. the failure rate is still very low, and the tv is at minimum in the top 5 tv's on the market today. so whatever problems it may have, the rest are still worse...

post #8740 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Liked: 26
For those who hear plasma buzzes, could you ask if others can hear it too? I wonder if its a certain tone that affects some people more than others.

I'm not hearing any on mine. I can't possibly be that lucky while others hear it even after they exchange theirs.
post #8741 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

Got my my new 64 - 8500 the other day to go in place of a E- 7000. Im having a problem with ARC now and my Denon 791 AVR. just out of the blue. The AVR will read "video only tv"
With the E7000 using ARC if i wanted the AVR on i would press the tools button on the remote and click to turn on the AVR, and TV speakers would shut off and all was great, i liked it this way. Also the AVR would shut off with the TV.
Now the 8500 worked this way at first and i was happy since i dont always want the AVR on. So heres how it is now.. i moved my sub, so i needed to recalibrate the speakers with mic. i did not change anything in the menu.and have done this many times with the 7000 with out problem.
But now when i turn on the AVR i get "video only tv"
If i set the TV speaker menu to reciever and turn the tv on, it will turn on the reciever with the tv But still i get no sound "video only tv"

But if just unplug both of them without turning them off first and plug them both back in, i will have sound and ARC works. (dont like doing this)

My thought is a firmware update caused this, but not sure as it was working fine, also i have tried another HDMI cable that worked fine with the old TV, just wondering if anybody else is having this problem also and fixed it. Also if i scan with anynet it will show the AVR as it is scanning but the end box shows "no devices"

Solved this problem. For me it was the cable. i noticed the CEC as well as ARC was not working. But what was worse is the black levels on my HTPC were way off... I reversed my HDMI cable and problem solved.
post #8742 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

did you notice the zt being better with horizontal light and the f8500 being better with overhead light? i don't think the f8500 does much with lights at or near eye level, but shining a light down on the screen does almost nothing, very impressed with that.
Overhead is what was at the shootout, didn't get a chance to see how it reacted to horizontal lighting.
post #8743 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:

loudest on dark scenes? that screams malfunction to me. every plasma i've ever seen was louder with a bright image, when it uses more power.

to be sure it's not interference, you really need to turn everything else off. chances are it's not, but it's so easy to check it's still worth it. leave the soundbar powered off, turn off the tv's speakers, and see what happens. don't assume that just because the sound changes with changes on screen it's coming directly from the tv. if it's somehow interference, the tv using more power could increase the level of interference too.

Yes loudest on dark scenes. It can be heard from the moment the tv is turned on and all that's being displayed is the no input box.

I will turn off tv speakers and soundbar when I get home to check it though just to be sure.

The tv is within a 30 day return/exchange policy so there was no hassle getting a brand new one at all. It is delivered on the 22nd. And I get to keep the current tv until that one arrives.

I will report back with the results later on though. Let you know if it was interference.
post #8744 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Okay,

So obviously its more likely that someone will post about this TV if they have a problem, more so than just saying its awesome. So i'm just curious... who out there has this TV and does not have a buzzing issue, or brightness pops & horizontal bars (no idea what that is).
post #8745 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes loudest on dark scenes. It can be heard from the moment the tv is turned on and all that's being displayed is the no input box.

I will turn off tv speakers and soundbar when I get home to check it though just to be sure.

The tv is within a 30 day return/exchange policy so there was no hassle getting a brand new one at all. It is delivered on the 22nd. And I get to keep the current tv until that one arrives.

I will report back with the results later on though. Let you know if it was interference.

that definitely doesn't sound like the 'typical' plasma buzz to me. hopefully the exchange works out for you.

post #8746 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoesian View Post

I'm telling the truth, it would be good if someone can show me if I'm wrong....

We're not doubting you, but it just seems you have every problem imaginable. I'd probably have swapped the set out.
post #8747 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay,

So obviously its more likely that someone will post about this TV if they have a problem, more so than just saying its awesome. So i'm just curious... who out there has this TV and does not have a buzzing issue, or brightness pops & horizontal bars (no idea what that is).

me!

buzzing is present, but completely unnoticeable during normal use. I haven't seen brightness pops or horizontal bars(unless i'm standing less than 2ft away looking down, and then the filter plays havoc with the image)

the only thing I would complain about is that it seems to drop connection periodically(hdmi handshake issues?) and this particular tv has a fairly annoying handshake procedure(top 1/4 of screen covered for several seconds displaying connection info). if it's connection was rock solid or it was super quick to reconnect it wouldn't be an issue. but as is, I occasionally miss something because of it reconnecting. for what it's worth, I've always had issues with HDMI. this is just a different problem for my system now.

post #8748 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Okay,

Coming from an E model that buzzed like crazy the 64 8500 i have now is great, while it does buzz, i would call it normal plasma buzz, meaning i cannot hear it unless standing next to it. dont see any brightness pops and i do have horizontal bands but they are very very light and only seen in test screens, so not a problem. i have owned the C,E and now this F model and it is by far the best. I do have a few problems with my set up i am trying to work though, but not sure if tv related.
post #8749 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:

Then why did you even consider the TV, let alone ask questions that were apparently rhetorical to begin with?

All displays have issues of one type or another, all. Most consider the 8500 to be among the two best displays out there, so it's a bit absurd to characterize Samsung as experimenting on consumers. In fact with the 8500, Samsung, IMO, has been the most proactive display manufacturer I've ever seen when it comes to fixing issues incredibly quickly.

As far as buzzing is concerned, like many others here, I have no issues.
post #8750 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:

me!

buzzing is present, but completely unnoticeable during normal use. I haven't seen brightness pops or horizontal bars(unless i'm standing less than 2ft away looking down, and then the filter plays havoc with the image)

the only thing I would complain about is that it seems to drop connection periodically(hdmi handshake issues?) and this particular tv has a fairly annoying handshake procedure(top 1/4 of screen covered for several seconds displaying connection info). if it's connection was rock solid or it was super quick to reconnect it wouldn't be an issue. but as is, I occasionally miss something because of it reconnecting. for what it's worth, I've always had issues with HDMI. this is just a different problem for my system now.

Are you having handshake issues with your reciever? that is my problem. thought i had it fixed today but it was short lived. not sure if its the tv the reciever or the hdmi cable and that is 1.4 spec. when they dont link my htpc black levels are destroyed, if i pull the power cords for tv and reciever and turn them back on there fine.
post #8751 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:

that definitely doesn't sound like the 'typical' plasma buzz to me. hopefully the exchange works out for you.
Turned off soundbar and tv speakers. Still a noticeable buzzing.

When I stand behind the tv the buzzing sounds different from what I am getting on my couch. I assume the buzzing behind the tv is the typical noise I should be hearing.

The exchange went incredibly smoothly. I know people hate best buy in the states but the Canadian futureshop division of best buy is very easy to deal with.

I don't say that just because I am staff. I mean that the stores I have worked in are good for this kind of stuff.

I brought my receipt in, said the tv was too heavy and awkward for me to bring back but I want to exchange it, they did the exchange and arranged delivery and pickup for free. so I am satisfied with that result.
post #8752 of 12394 Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My TV base is sturdy and everything, but if I let go of it, it creaks a bit and decides to lean forward instead of standing perfectly upright. It might only be at like .5 degrees downward, but it's enough to notice in the reflection at least (kind of nauseating lol).

Is this normal? I know when I first got the TV, I put the stand on without taking off the wrap. Might that have anything to do with it?

Thanks.
post #8753 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:

I agree with you, when there is black scenes, the buzz would be louder....
post #8754 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 07:15 AM

I've had my 64F8500 for 6 weeks, no buzzing that is audible. My wife and daughter who have better hearing
than me don't hear any either.
post #8755 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I set mine up, and I think the buzzing is a little more easily heard (especially if you turn your head sideways so that your ear is pointing right at the TV). I'm not going to let it be a nuisance, but I hope my parents don't hear it/care about it. It's not as bad as my D7000, but other external noises don't drown it out (fridge hum, kitchen light buzz, etc.), because it's its own kind of noise if that makes sense.
post #8756 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

Are you having handshake issues with your reciever? that is my problem. thought i had it fixed today but it was short lived. not sure if its the tv the reciever or the hdmi cable and that is 1.4 spec. when they dont link my htpc black levels are destroyed, if i pull the power cords for tv and reciever and turn them back on there fine.

i couldn't tell you which 'link' in my chain is causing the problems, i've always had handshake gremlins of one type or another. i've done literally nothing for a full year and had 3 different issues come up and resolve themselves. i've pretty much just given up on finding a 'fix' and settled for finding the easiest work around. ie, my projector tends to drop connection when exiting media center on my HTPC, or occasional just when switching to that source. flipping back and forth between HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the projector forces it to reconnect. with an old projector i used to have to turn on the tv in the bathroom for it to connect at all. i have a 4way splitter sending signal to my samsung f8500, jvc x35, and a cheap insignia in the bathroom.

post #8757 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Turned off soundbar and tv speakers. Still a noticeable buzzing.

When I stand behind the tv the buzzing sounds different from what I am getting on my couch. I assume the buzzing behind the tv is the typical noise I should be hearing.

The exchange went incredibly smoothly. I know people hate best buy in the states but the Canadian futureshop division of best buy is very easy to deal with.

I don't say that just because I am staff. I mean that the stores I have worked in are good for this kind of stuff.

I brought my receipt in, said the tv was too heavy and awkward for me to bring back but I want to exchange it, they did the exchange and arranged delivery and pickup for free. so I am satisfied with that result.

the only other thing that could be happening is if there's some kind of acoustics in the room amplifying the noise at your listening position. have you tried moving around in the room, even turning your head can be enough sometimes. mine actually sounds slightly louder when i turn my head to look away from the tv.

BB/FS are ok, they aren't perfect as nobody is. i've had a couple frustrating encounters at both stores, but generally politeness pays off when dealing with CS. i honestly think most of the time when somebody claims about how they are treating by CS it's because they forget that the person they are talking to had nothing to do with it, and they don't show them the respect they should. it's human nature to get defensive under those situations and not want to help out as much. anybody who's worked CS will know this.

post #8758 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

My TV base is sturdy and everything, but if I let go of it, it creaks a bit and decides to lean forward instead of standing perfectly upright. It might only be at like .5 degrees downward, but it's enough to notice in the reflection at least (kind of nauseating lol).

Is this normal? I know when I first got the TV, I put the stand on without taking off the wrap. Might that have anything to do with it?

Thanks.

it's not normal that a .5* angle would make you nauseated tongue.gif

i'm pretty sure my stand is straight, it definitely doesn't move or creak when i let it go anyway.

post #8759 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 172
mine doesnt sit 'perfectly' level either, but nothing so bad a little felt pad under the front part of the stand takes care of.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #8760 of 12394 Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM

I just had all 4 HDMI ports go dead on my PN64F8500... None of the HDMI inputs work. Anyone else experience this problem? I have to watch TV using the component input. It is set up for warranty service tomorrow.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page