Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can someone tell me what's the height of the stand plus the bottom bezel of the 64 inch F8500? I am getting the TV tomorrow. I have a Boston Acoustics center speaker that's 5 inches tall. I wonder if I keep that speaker on the tv stand in front of the TV if it would block some viewing area of the screen from the seating position. I will be wall mounting the TV soon but not right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

Can someone tell me what's the height of the stand plus the bottom bezel of the 64 inch F8500?

The stand is 5cm high. The bottom bezel of the panel is 4.5cm. So, the screen starts 9.5cm above the surface it's standing on. But, the stand takes up a lot of space in front of the screen.
post #8913 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymouseusf View Post

I don't know if it's typical or not, but a few owners on the forum (myself included) have noticed it with their stands.

Strangely enough, mine leans slightly forward.
post #8914 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonnen View Post

The stand is 5cm high. The bottom bezel of the panel is 4.5cm. So, the screen starts 9.5cm above the surface it's standing on. But, the stand takes up a lot of space in front of the screen.
Ok thanks, so my speaker may block a very small area on the bottom. Yes I realized the stand style will take up space on the front. I am thinking I will place the TV as much towards the back as possible and should be able to place my front speaker on the tv stand. I will also accelerate the wall mounting plan.
post #8915 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Ok thanks, so my speaker may block a very small area on the bottom. Yes I realized the stand style will take up space on the front. I am thinking I will place the TV as much towards the back as possible and should be able to place my front speaker on the tv stand. I will also accelerate the wall mounting plan.

I had the same issue with my 64" 8500. I just measured it and from the table top to the bottom pixels is right about 3 1/8". So your 5" high speaker won't fit. I actually ended up buying a center channel speaker stand that sits in from of my TV table to lower the top edge of the speaker. Wall mount isn't an option for me, but sounds like it is for you.
post #8916 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 12
Hi,

I am looking to become a F8500 owner soon. Currently, I own a UN60F7100. I have a few questions about the F8500.

1. Does the F8500 suffer from IR? If so, does it occur easily? Football season is right around the corner.
2. Does the F8500 buzz? If so how loud is it?
3. How bright does the f8500 get compared to a LED?
post #8917 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOner View Post

Hi,

I am looking to become a F8500 owner soon. Currently, I own a UN60F7100. I have a few questions about the F8500.

1. Does the F8500 suffer from IR? If so, does it occur easily? Football season is right around the corner.

1) There is very minor IR, if any. I've played video games and watched several channels with station bugs and I haven't had any retention from those sources, However, I've witnessed a few times, when screwing around in Netflix with my Apple TV some momentary retention from the movie cover art. It lasts a split second and I'm not entirely sure it's unrelated to the source itself.

That being said, the two biggest offenders in this category (video games and channel bugs) haven't done anything so far.

2) The panel does buzz. All plasmas emit a hum of sorts. It's minor and I never hear it because I'm always watching something at volume. Even in films with little to no audio, I never am aware of the sound.

3) The F8500 is the brightest plasma panel I've seen and it is comparable to a well calibrated LED LCD, in my opinion. Perhaps LEDs are in actuality brighter but the F8500 is a fantastic television and if brightness is an issue, you won't be disappointed.

EDIT: These are MY findings. As someone pointed out, conditions and results will vary
Cg006 likes this.
post #8918 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOner View Post

Hi,

1) IR varies from panel to panel. Some have had problems. Others have not. 2) Buzzing also varies. Some have said it annoys them so badly they returned it. Others say they barely even notice it. 3) The f8500 should be plenty bright for most environments.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8919 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 AM

The IR is bugging the heck out of me.

I have had a pn51f8500 for a week now. I have about 120 hours on the set running HBO (no logos) on the default Movie picture mode.

Last night I let my kids watch a program from NickHD, telling them they had to watch the commercials. (They are used to fast forward on DVR.) Very easy to see IR from the black "HD" portion of the logo. Went away after about 20 seconds during commercials. Then they watched a program from ABC Family. Again, some IR from the more whitish logo, cleared after about 10 seconds. After running HBO again all night I this morning I put on some cartoon network which has a high contrast black and white logo. Super noticeable IR after only 5 minutes of viewing and it took about a 1 minute to fade on the scroller. Then I put on ESPN SportsCenter. Same thing. About 8 minutes of Sportscenter left a white horizontal bar all the way across the ESPN logo visible. Took a few minutes on the scroller to calm down the retention. I'm scared to actually watch a half hour program let alone a full cartoon movie on CN or a full 1.5 hour SportsCenter on ESPN.

I love the PQ from the full screen movies I have seen on HBO. Especially at night the PQ is incredible. During the day in my bright room it's just passable. But the IR is bugging the heck out of me.

I acknowledge that I am a neurotic person prone to bouts of anxiety and over-worrying. I'm thinking that Plasma may just not be a fit for my personality.

I love the PQ and the side-viewing and the uniformity, but I don't want to be constantly worrying about IR and what my wife and kids will watch with logos, etc. And they won't be watching commercials, all their viewing is from DVR and they will fast forward through commercials. Not to mention video games. Video games aren't a large percentage of intended use in the overall usage, but for a very good game could get to 4-5 hours a day until the game is finished. (Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed...)

Will the IR get significantly less over time? I mean really really less. I have only a few more days to return the set. I hate to return anything, so I have angst on that too. But if I end up constantly freaking out over the IR I think I am better off giving up the PQ in trade for less stress.

Thanks!

Mark
post #8920 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^ Wow, that's quite the conundrum you placed yourself in.......Put your foot down....take control of your family. Don't let that anxiety get the best of you....Tell them they have to watch commercials or run the screen burn protection every hour they have the tv on. Either that, or get an lcd/led display and get back on the Xanax.
post #8921 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktib View Post

The IR is bugging the heck out of me.

I have had a pn51f8500 for a week now. I have about 120 hours on the set running HBO (no logos) on the default Movie picture mode.

Last night I let my kids watch a program from NickHD, telling them they had to watch the commercials. (They are used to fast forward on DVR.) Very easy to see IR from the black "HD" portion of the logo. Went away after about 20 seconds during commercials. Then they watched a program from ABC Family. Again, some IR from the more whitish logo, cleared after about 10 seconds. After running HBO again all night I this morning I put on some cartoon network which has a high contrast black and white logo. Super noticeable IR after only 5 minutes of viewing and it took about a 1 minute to fade on the scroller. Then I put on ESPN SportsCenter. Same thing. About 8 minutes of Sportscenter left a white horizontal bar all the way across the ESPN logo visible. Took a few minutes on the scroller to calm down the retention. I'm scared to actually watch a half hour program let alone a full cartoon movie on CN or a full 1.5 hour SportsCenter on ESPN.

I love the PQ from the full screen movies I have seen on HBO. Especially at night the PQ is incredible. During the day in my bright room it's just passable. But the IR is bugging the heck out of me.

I acknowledge that I am a neurotic person prone to bouts of anxiety and over-worrying. I'm thinking that Plasma may just not be a fit for my personality.

I love the PQ and the side-viewing and the uniformity, but I don't want to be constantly worrying about IR and what my wife and kids will watch with logos, etc. And they won't be watching commercials, all their viewing is from DVR and they will fast forward through commercials. Not to mention video games. Video games aren't a large percentage of intended use in the overall usage, but for a very good game could get to 4-5 hours a day until the game is finished. (Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed...)

Will the IR get significantly less over time? I mean really really less. I have only a few more days to return the set. I hate to return anything, so I have angst on that too. But if I end up constantly freaking out over the IR I think I am better off giving up the PQ in trade for less stress.

Thanks!

Mark

Tell the family you're going to return THEM to the store
post #8922 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by marktib View Post

I'm over 350 hours with the same symptoms, but it indeed does go away. I vary the content, run the pixel flipper from time to time.

I've watched long ESPN programs, baseball games, and golf events. I've watched back-to-back 2.35:1 films. It's been going away, so I'm less concerned. And ask others around here... I'm pretty paranoid about this stuff.

I really do have a feeling it will get better over time, though..
post #8923 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM

I posted this yesterday on the settings thread. Just wanted to post here to get some feedback:

I will be getting my 64 inch f8500 this Saturday. What's the setting that I should start with when I start watching? In top of this forum I see a Kevin Millers setting? Is that what I should start with? I may be running some slides but mostly I will also start watching regular HD content (the usual without black bars, without static logos for too long etc). I went and checked out the TV on Pauls TV today. I played Avatar on BluRay and was playing with the settings. The TV was in dynamic mode, I changed it to other modes and in the store I preferred standard mode with cell light at 16,17. I don't know what settings I will like at home, I will find out on Sat. Please let me know/point me to the settings that you prefer. Thanks.
post #8924 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I actually have the Samsung HW-F550 soundbar. I purchased it after going through the measurements. The soundbar just sits in front of the panel and hardly goes above the height of the stand. It's completely unobtrusive and seems like a perfect match for this TV. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung planned it this way.

I'm more worried about the new Xbox One Kinect. Hopefully, they'll have some decent clip-ons for the top of the TV at launch.
post #8925 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 PM

Liked: 15
Guys,

I have about 140 hours on the TV. I have watched a couple of WS movies, but most of the stuff has been fullscreen. No noticeable IR (there's some right after watching the WS content, but nothing that hangs around). Do you think it'd be OK to start watching WS movies more frequently or should I still put on more hours of fullscreen content?

Thanks.
post #8926 of 12291 Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanes View Post

Guys,

I have about 140 hours on the TV. I have watched a couple of WS movies, but most of the stuff has been fullscreen. No noticeable IR (there's some right after watching the WS content, but nothing that hangs around). Do you think it'd be OK to start watching WS movies more frequently or should I still put on more hours of fullscreen content?

Thanks.
These kind of posts crack me up. Sir, you've been depriving yourself for waaay too long. For God sakes, just watch whatever you want to watch. How can anyone on here tell you how long you should deprive yourself from watching what you want with your tv purchase? I've been watching every kind of broadcast on my 8500 from day 1. It's been 5 months now, and I don't see any burn-in on my screen. All plasmas have IR...that's just a fact that goes with owning a plasma. All the IR I have noticed with the 8500 is only temporary. I have not heard of one person on this forum who had to replace their 8500 due to screen burn-in. Defects and buzzing have been the bulk of the problems. Strive to be less of a worry-wart. I know, these aren't cheap tv's....but they're also not your Momma's tv either.
post #8927 of 12291 Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

These kind of posts crack me up. Sir, you've been depriving yourself for waaay too long. For God sakes, just watch whatever you want to watch. How can anyone on here tell you how long you should deprive yourself from watching what you want with your tv purchase? I've been watching every kind of broadcast on my 8500 from day 1. It's been 5 months now, and I don't see any burn-in on my screen. All plasmas have IR...that's just a fact that goes with owning a plasma. All the IR I have noticed with the 8500 is only temporary. I have not heard of one person on this forum who had to replace their 8500 due to screen burn-in. Defects and buzzing have been the bulk of the problems. Strive to be less of a worry-wart. I know, these aren't cheap tv's....but they're also not your Momma's tv either.

+1

Allowing commercials to play while watching TV should reduce or cancel out any potential for IR. I have a 64 and have watched A-Z content without any problem. As Dan said, just enjoy your toy.
post #8928 of 12291 Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawphet View Post

Also, while I am watching Netflix via the smart tv app I am noticing my audio cutting out at random points. On Dolby output it will cut on for maybe a second here or there and on PCM out it will cut out for minutes at a time.

Any word on whether this is a common issue or possible fixes? It doesn't happen while playing wiiu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney74 View Post

I have the same problem. I get 5-10 audio drops per hour viewing Netflix. The drops are through my Sonos Playbar. No drops when viewing satellite or USB source.

I also have the same problem with my F8000. I don't notice it on all shows and it started after the latest input lag firmware fix. The other night I watched a full NetFlix film and it maybe happened once or twice. This morning I put on a show and right away it starts every 10 minutes or so. I think it has to do with Samsungs processing. I had two ES models earlier this year and neither one had as many noticeable processing bugs as my current 8000 and from what I'm reading the 8500. The TV seems to be struggling while processing anything. Even if I turn on the on screen remote with a blu-ray playing the picture will skip while I navigate or close the on screen remote. That's not a big deal but the audio dropping during NetFlix content is. I brought this up in the LED forum but nobody responded. I see you guys have the same problem with the PDP. Was there a way to resolve this or did it go away? Any other takers?
post #8929 of 12291 Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post

+1 Allowing commercials to play while watching TV should reduce or cancel out any potential for IR. I have a 64 and have watched A-Z content without any problem. As Dan said, just enjoy your toy.
There has been a lot of chatter about IR this year. I have never had an issue, ever, and have owned many panels since they hit the stores in 2004, I think that was. If IR goes away how could it be an issue ? Burn in is another story, however that is rare.
post #8930 of 12291 Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

There has been a lot of chatter about IR this year. I have never had an issue, ever, and have owned many panels since they hit the stores in 2004, I think that was. If IR goes away how could it be an issue ? Burn in is another story, however that is rare.
IR can be an issue if you see it while watching a different channel. Sure it will go away eventually. So will my mother in law but shes really annoying until then.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8931 of 12291 Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

IR can be an issue if you see it while watching a different channel. Sure it will go away eventually. So will my mother in law but shes really annoying until then.
So are commercials. biggrin.gif

I have no experience with IR that can be seen during normal viewing. I almost never watch anything with commercials that I haven't recorded just so that I can skip the commercials. I have some doubts about how much help the commercial are, but they must be at least a little helpful. Some of the best TV picture quality is in the commercials. eek.gif
post #8932 of 12291 Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

I also have the same problem with my F8000. I don't notice it on all shows and it started after the latest input lag firmware fix. The other night I watched a full NetFlix film and it maybe happened once or twice. This morning I put on a show and right away it starts every 10 minutes or so. I think it has to do with Samsungs processing. I had two ES models earlier this year and neither one had as many noticeable processing bugs as my current 8000 and from what I'm reading the 8500. The TV seems to be struggling while processing anything. Even if I turn on the on screen remote with a blu-ray playing the picture will skip while I navigate or close the on screen remote. That's not a big deal but the audio dropping during NetFlix content is. I brought this up in the LED forum but nobody responded. I see you guys have the same problem with the PDP. Was there a way to resolve this or did it go away? Any other takers?
I think the issue is with Netflix. I have a Tivo box with Netflix and get occasional audio dropouts with the Tivo and the 8500.
post #8933 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 AM

Can someone tell me if the gap in the black plastic frame at the bottom of the TV is normal? It looks like the rear frame has popped out of the bezel. Looks weird especially when the TV is wall mounted anything above eye level.
post #8934 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 AM

Hi

I bought this Samsung Plasma PS64F8505 on Friday, and today I found a stuck/dead pixel, it is red in color. mad.gif
I would ask that if how many have been broken pixel in this plasma.I will probably need to try to live with this problem.

post #8935 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 AM

Just curious, but why would you need to live with that problem if you just bought the Tav Friday? You can't return it to where you bought it?
post #8936 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawtyger View Post

Just curious, but why would you need to live with that problem if you just bought the Tav Friday? You can't return it to where you bought it?

"The store purchased products are consumer trade relations with a limited 32-day return policy. The purchase price returns the gift card, which is valid for one year. Item must be unused and unopened in original packaging."
post #8937 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

So are commercials. biggrin.gif

I have no experience with IR that can be seen during normal viewing. I almost never watch anything with commercials that I haven't recorded just so that I can skip the commercials. I have some doubts about how much help the commercial are, but they must be at least a little helpful. Some of the best TV picture quality is in the commercials. eek.gif
Your comparing your 5 year old broken in kuro to this years new tvs? Unless you have bought a f8500 , vt/zt60 and are talking about them. I don't see how chiming in would be really that helpful.

Panasonic needs 300 hours to stabilize there color drifts before calibration previously 100 hours were ok. It may be do to there new red phosphor.

Samsung has redesigned there panel cell structure increasing there size and light output.

So this years plasma may have unusual talk of IR. We all hate clouding and flash lighting on LCD. So seeing IR for days after a 3 hour game can be hard to swallow. If IR is temporary gone in 30 minutes I wouldn't worry much.
post #8938 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post

I think the issue is with Netflix. I have a Tivo box with Netflix and get occasional audio dropouts with the Tivo and the 8500.

I'm experiencing the flip flop effect. When streaming from Hula Plus or Netflix, etc. the video and audio cuts out at least 2 or 3 times - mostly when first starting to watch a movie. I have always chalked it up to a router and/or a networking issue. Now that you guys have brought up the audio issue, it make me think that it might be with the panel. Has anyone else experienced the streaming cutting out one or more times when viewing movies?
post #8939 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Your comparing your 5 year old broken in kuro to this years new tvs? Unless you have bought a f8500 , vt/zt60 and are talking about them. I don't see how chiming in would be really that helpful.
I was commenting on our commercial free environment, not the broken as well as broken in, Kuro. I apologize for not helping you in this instance. redface.gif
post #8940 of 12291 Old 09-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicknick View Post

I'm experiencing the flip flop effect. When streaming from Hula Plus or Netflix, etc. the video and audio cuts out at least 2 or 3 times - mostly when first starting to watch a movie. I have always chalked it up to a router and/or a networking issue. Now that you guys have brought up the audio issue, it make me think that it might be with the panel. Has anyone else experienced the streaming cutting out one or more times when viewing movies?

I've had the video cut out also. I don't think it's a Netflix issue because I've been streaming Netflix for close to 4 years, almost two years with the same receiver, and this is the first time I've experienced this. But as I said before it started happening after the latest firmware. I maybe streamed 30+ hrs before the latest update and nothing. The first watch after the update I'm getting drop outs. I wonder if anyone with non US updates is getting this?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page