Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 307 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 12836 Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

This is what I initially tried but it didn't work. Maybe my HDMI cable wasn't compatible. Now I'm setup with the optical output.

What I don't understand is why the TV's Media mode plays (audio) properly but none of the built-in apps.

Also, what should I use to clean the screen. I've already scratched my BRAND NEW tv, damnit. The delivery guys left fingerprints all around the edges and I tried cleaning them with a paper towel that was thoroughly wetted with windex. It removed the fingerprints but left a 'stain' on the glass, like it was being absorbed or something. When I tried gently buffing it with a dry piece of paper towel, the glass started to scratch.
That was a mistake and I dont know if there is a way to fix it. Windex and paper towels are a huge NO NO with flat panels. Windex has alcohol and ammonia in it. You have not only scratched it but likely removed some of the antistatic/antiglare coating.
The best thing to use is a microfiber cloth and distilled water if necessary.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 12836 Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The best thing to use is a microfiber cloth and distilled water if necessary.
NOW you tell me! :-) Hopefully I didn't do too much damage as I was wary to begin with. I used the microfiber cloth that came with me eyeglasses (and which I never use, ahem...) and it cleaned-up the streaks. So I have now ordered a larger cloth to use in the future.
post #9183 of 12836 Old 10-11-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsalsero View Post

NOW you tell me! :-) Hopefully I didn't do too much damage as I was wary to begin with. I used the microfiber cloth that came with me eyeglasses (and which I never use, ahem...) and it cleaned-up the streaks. So I have now ordered a larger cloth to use in the future.
Good deal.

post #9184 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
He who asks first, and acts later ...wink.gif
post #9185 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The good apps cost $$$, almost as much as a remote. Crestron and Control 4 make apps for there system and they are a few hundred bucks, I do not think they have a general Universal Remote app though.

Agreed, I thought you meant what was tried that is out their for the average joe, my receiver has Control 4 built into it but it is not really an end-user system, sure you can get around the authorized dealer stuff but then you are stuck if anything goes wrong and you are not a licensed whatever.

Ironcially, the mass market they would love to have can't figure out a regular remote much less tackle a programmable remote so with no market except folks like us and rich folks who pay to have their remote maintained, there is no market and thus little effort. Right now I am pretty happy with my Harmony remote even with its severe limitations and lack on true integration you can get with products like Control 4.

I was glad to see Sony overtly integrate better remote tech even if I am not using it, if the market thinks it ends up giving Sony a competative advantage then more will follow, perhaps not with Control 4 with their insane licensing restrictions, someone will need to get hot enough to create a standard by market share, sort of like Hayes did with the AT command set, then the remote game will jump to the next level. With a stardard in place with a well defined protocol there is endless potential, but as it is it will stay niche.

The Sony is a start but likely will not make much difference since we are talking about a thousand buck receiver (list price, 600-700 on-line) in the Sony ES series, not really a mass market receiver, now had they dropped it into like the 840 or 1040, it may have been a game changer over time. Right now the makers have no vested interest in playing well with others.
post #9186 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If I have to replace my PN60E7000 what is the most similarly feature F series model and is it slightly better or slightly less as far as pic quality and features
post #9187 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM

I have the Harmony 650 and a Harmony One, both are great. The 650 you are looking at is a great little remote, you should find the basic set-up pretty easy, it controls up to 5 devices and a lot of activities, I am sure there is a limit on activities but I have not hit it.

In less than an hour you can have your 5 devices defined and chances are all of them will be in the Harmony database which means you don't need to go through the tedious process of teaching the Harmony the commands using your old remote. You'll also get 4 or 5 basic activities set-up, Watch TV, Watch Blu-Ray, Listen To... Now from here on it gets a little harder, at this point, depending on your gear and activities you will likely find you will need to tune up the command sequences, getting the correct source is one of the hardest things if the device you need to pick a source from does not have a direct source command, many don't, you hit source and get a menu that has no way to force it to a known starting point. Actually there is no great answer to that one, to make things truely smooth requires that you "work" with it a little, like make it a rule that you always put the source to a known spot upon exiting an activity (you tell the Harmony to do this and as long as you are properly in that activity, meaning everything is set right, you can for example, program it upon exit to open the source menu, cursor up twice, and hit enter. I have mine set to always going to STB on exit, so unless stuff gets messed up, it is always in a known state. (My receiver does pass-through HDMI when it is off so STB is a nice place to leave it anyway.)

Once you get all of that dialed in you will be pretty savvy on navigating the Harmony and tweaking things, then you enter the final phase, true elimination of the other remotes. This takes some time if you really want it to be easy in use, what I did was keep all remotes handy and anytime I had to struggle with the Harmony, like dig 9 screens deep for a command and had to use the real remote, I wrote down what I would need and then would go tweak the Harmony, they have a pretty cool app desktop or web based you use to adjust still, I prefer the desktop version as it is more flexible, the web version is easier.

The more you put into this fine tuning upfront, the more payback you get in frustration free automation, until upgrading my TV and receiver recently I had not touched one of the dedicated remotes in a couple years, don't even keep batteries in them, I keep a common set in the drawer with them all. However, don't bother unless you are willing to put in the effort, too often it is the Harmony that ends up in the drawer or worse, just adds another remote to your collection. I had no choice, the wife will only allow me cool toys if I can keep the operation of them within her reach. Also the wiz-bang factor is pretty high when you have company over biggrin.gif
post #9188 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Good info. But Im not looking at it. I own it and was suggesting it.
Also you are overlooking one big thing. New buyers can no longer use the Harmony software. They are restricted to the WEBSITE ONLY.

post #9189 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Also you are overlooking one big thing. New buyers can no longer use the Harmony software. They are restricted to the WEBSITE ONLY.

Actually that is not correct, there is no longer a totally stand-alone desktop app, but there is still a desktop app it just goes real time to the site, which to me was a nice improvement. I just downloaded the latest version a couple weeks ago. (HarmonyRemote.exe) Here is where you can download it: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/3806?section=downloads&osid=14&bit=64

Here is the current Harmony Support Page asking you which you used:

You will find the desktop version more flexible.

There is no restriction on who can use it, no access control on their Downloads page, and it fires up and connects to the 650 with no issues.
post #9190 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Ooops replied to the wrong one. So are you happy with your Harmony remote?
post #9191 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Ooops replied to the wrong one. So are you happy with your Harmony remote?
Yes

post #9192 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Downloads page, and it fires up and connects to the 650 with no issues.
That is because you were an existing user before Logitech made the changes a couple of days ago. New users who try to use the software will be directed to the WEBSITE ONLY.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1237145/official-logitech-harmony-650-600-remote-thread/930#post_23825014

post #9193 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Any strategies/settings that might help me deal with the rainbow effect? On most programming it's not an issue, but any time it's really contrasty (particularly if the contrasty has a yellow tinge, like candle-lit scenes) it's driving me nuts. Are there settings that could help minimize it, or ambient lighting that might help?

It's kind of shocking that a 600Hz screen has this much phosphor lag, I'd assumed it was only a thing that happened with older/slower displays.
post #9194 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
That's not phosphor lag it's the flicker fusion effect, nothing you can do about except get used to it.
post #9195 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've never heard it called that. RBE (rainbow effect) is more common I think.
post #9196 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

That's not phosphor lag it's the flicker fusion effect, nothing you can do about except get used to it.
I don't think so -- it's the same thing I've seen on other plasma sets, and I don't see it on LCDs. Like I said, on bright or not-super-high-contrast scenes the picture is incredible. But those dark scenes are really brutal, and I was hoping there was some recommended way to at lessen the effect.

I think I'm just unusually sensitive to it. Color wheel projectors drive me nuts too.
post #9197 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, plasmas and DLPs, high contrast edges usually associated with rapid eye movement. I see it all the time in BW movies
post #9198 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carollo View Post

I think I'm just unusually sensitive to it. Color wheel projectors drive me nuts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Yep, plasmas and DLPs, high contrast edges usually associated with rapid eye movement. I see it all the time in BW movies
You're both in a population that amounts to 5% or less of the general population based on a U. S. Navy white paper done several years ago. There are some people in your group who can ignore the effect, but there are also some who find it very irritating. It's all in your collective heads. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Ftballfn likes this.
post #9199 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You're both in a population that amounts to 5% or less of the general population based on a U. S. Navy white paper done several years ago. There are some people in your group who can ignore the effect, but there are also some who find it very irritating. It's all in your collective heads. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
Man I wish my superpower wasn't so annoying! I even see the orange logo on the back of my Logitech mouse separate into yellow and red. frown.gif
post #9200 of 12836 Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carollo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Man I wish my superpower wasn't so annoying! I even see the orange logo on the back of my Logitech mouse separate into yellow and red. frown.gif
eek.gif
post #9201 of 12836 Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbrandall View Post

Hi guys. Got some early advice from you all and got the 60inch 8500. Very late post but I had Jeff Meier from Accucal come by during his California tour to calibrate my tv back in May. Wowwwww what a awesome job. I am a total newb but was blown away by how good the tv looked. Jeff was very nice and spent a lot of time explaining everything he was doing. The picture is so realistic and clean, none of that fake looking blues you see in other TVs. Watching blu rays are amazing. The only bummer I have is that I use Att uverse and the signal sucks and does an injustice to the TV. Highly recommended and wanted to give a proper thank you for the advice and the great work by Jeff. Cheers

Thanks for the props.
post #9202 of 12836 Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

If I have to replace my PN60E7000 what is the most similarly feature F series model and is it slightly better or slightly less as far as pic quality and features
Overall the F tested better smile.gif
post #9203 of 12836 Old 10-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was wondering how bad the floating blacks were on the 64 f8500? I thought a firmware upgrade took care of that, but I've been reading over on the panasonic thread that they are very noticeable in a dark room. Is that true? I own the 65vt60 and still considering swapping (due to it being too dim) for the f8500 and time is running out. Any info would be great. Thanks.
post #9204 of 12836 Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
^That's one owner's experience actually. And he noticed it about 100 Samsung firmware upgrades ago. tongue.gif There's a possibility they've been diminished to the point where he wouldn't notice them now...but they were striking enough to bother him at the time. YMMV.
post #9205 of 12836 Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 966
i'm unsure of what floating blacks really are(because what I have seen doesn't seem like a bad/annoying/noticeable thing), but I haven't noticed anything with my 64" f8500 since the first fw update I did, and I only noticed one change in black level while watching a 4:3 star wars movie before that update.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9206 of 12836 Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'm unsure of what floating blacks really are(because what I have seen doesn't seem like a bad/annoying/noticeable thing), but I haven't noticed anything with my 64" f8500 since the first fw update I did, and I only noticed one change in black level while watching a 4:3 star wars movie before that update.

All Samsungs float blacks, meaning the black level rises when there is content on-screen that raises the average luminance above a certain level. This is the way Samsung panel drivers work and is not adjustable. Some people notice it and some don't.
post #9207 of 12836 Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Can any of you owners comment on the dither on these sets? Do you see a lot of it? When I bought my panasonic 65vt60 (that I might be swapping for a 64f8500) I was also looking at the f8500. I noticed quite a bit more dither on the f8500. I'm not sure if it was just on that particular set or maybe I saw it more due to the increased brightness? Thanks guys.
post #9208 of 12836 Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM

I seen a lot of dither when I first got the set but after having it awhile(700 hours later) I don't see it at all. The only time I seen it though was when I got close to it, but I can't see it at all now when I get close the picture looks like you can reach out and grab what is on the screen.
post #9209 of 12836 Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks dusty123. How many hours do you think it was before you noticed it was gone?
post #9210 of 12836 Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM

It was about 350 hours before it was gone.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page