Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the picture quality good in game mode?

You guys still didn't answer the second part of my wuestion.

Should i buy this tv now or wait til he Super Bowl?

I heard that prices are cheaper then

Also is this tv better than the st60 and vt60 series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning everyone. It's been awhile since I posted on the Forum as the last time I was really investigating was when I pulled the trigger on a 50" Pioneer Kuro 5020 (non-elite) Well it's been over 5 years I imagine and that TV is still phenomenal. I have recently thought about "upsizing" and hoping I could at least keep the same quality, but I may kidding myself.

Here's my viewing situation, we sit pretty close to the TV. Viewing distance is 7 - 8 feet. Large couch, 4 people at times so horizontal viewing angle is important.

My Kuro was my first plasma and first flat screen. I'm happy to say there is no screen buzz whatsoever and no fan noise. I have always found something to be "off" about the whites. Blacks are as black as I could imagine any set could ever get. Motion has always bothered me when cameras pan a scene, but I imagine that is just the technology.

I have a few questions I would love opinions on:

1) For the Samsung F8500, has it been determined if there is a more distinct buzz from the 60" or the 64"? I could detect a slight buzz from the bottom right corner of a 60" panel in the store, not really noticeable to me unless I was right up to it, but I could not detect that buzz on two 64" inch panels I tried to listen to. Noise in the room I was in could be a factor too. But I am 50 years old and maybe I am not prone to hear plasma buzz.

2) For my viewing distance, (7 feet) would 64" be ridiculous? I measured it in the area and it seems big but manageable. Compared to a 60" and the difference does not seem that dramatic.

3) Vertical viewing angle concerns me. I've walked up to this TV and it is really dramatic how dark the screen goes when looking down or up. I actually went to the floor too. But I was not really able to mimic my viewing. I tried to line it out and the best I can describe it is, after I get it up on the stand I like, (with swivelling mount) My eyesight is slightly above the bottom of the screen. (7 feet away) Would you guess that I would notice the darkening at the top of the screen from either the 64" or the 60"?

4) How bad is the sound on the F8500? I've never needed a home theatre system and the room I am in is difficult to set it up. Would I at least need a sound bar? Is anyone just using the sound from the TV and happy with it?

5) I've looked at the Panasonic VT and ZT and I initially wanted to get one just because there won't be any more. Then I heard about the fan noise and decided I can't justify it for the extra cost and probably getting someone in to do the fix. (Although I could not detect the noise when trying to hear it in stores. Not even when my ear was right up to it.

6) I see there are a lot of people returning these and getting replacements. Do the stores come back out to swap it? Or do you have to bring it back yourself? I have no easy way of returning one of these giants.

7) Would you recommend I just wait, as I am very happy with what I have, just hoping for a larger, great screen.

Thanks so much for any advice. I really do appreciate it.

My only regret, not getting the 60" Kuro when I could have.

KC
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
KCinWhitby - I will do my best to answer some of your questions

1) the buzz can be different from set to set. It is also dependent on a persons hearing. Some can hear it, but it is tolerable. Some think it is too loud, and some hear no buzz at all. You will not know for sure until it is in your house.

2) I would consider that immersive, but not ridiculous.

3) From what you are describing, you should not notice any dimming from the filter.

4) Almost all TV's suck now when it comes to sound quality. I had an st60 first and the sound on that was horrible. the f8500 has descent sound.

7) If you want bigger, I would not wait. Affordable oled is still a long way off.
KCinWhitby likes this.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 192
@KC

For recommended viewing distances see this chart from the following article:
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

At 7 to 8 feet away both a 60" and 64" panel would work well with the 64" likely being a bit more ideal.
KCinWhitby likes this.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

Good morning everyone. It's been awhile since I posted on the Forum as the last time I was really investigating was when I pulled the trigger on a 50" Pioneer Kuro 5020 (non-elite) Well it's been over 5 years I imagine and that TV is still phenomenal. I have recently thought about "upsizing" and hoping I could at least keep the same quality, but I may kidding myself.

Here's my viewing situation, we sit pretty close to the TV. Viewing distance is 7 - 8 feet. Large couch, 4 people at times so horizontal viewing angle is important.

My Kuro was my first plasma and first flat screen. I'm happy to say there is no screen buzz whatsoever and no fan noise. I have always found something to be "off" about the whites. Blacks are as black as I could imagine any set could ever get. Motion has always bothered me when cameras pan a scene, but I imagine that is just the technology.

I have a few questions I would love opinions on:

1) For the Samsung F8500, has it been determined if there is a more distinct buzz from the 60" or the 64"? I could detect a slight buzz from the bottom right corner of a 60" panel in the store, not really noticeable to me unless I was right up to it, but I could not detect that buzz on two 64" inch panels I tried to listen to. Noise in the room I was in could be a factor too. But I am 50 years old and maybe I am not prone to hear plasma buzz.

2) For my viewing distance, (7 feet) would 64" be ridiculous? I measured it in the area and it seems big but manageable. Compared to a 60" and the difference does not seem that dramatic.

3) Vertical viewing angle concerns me. I've walked up to this TV and it is really dramatic how dark the screen goes when looking down or up. I actually went to the floor too. But I was not really able to mimic my viewing. I tried to line it out and the best I can describe it is, after I get it up on the stand I like, (with swivelling mount) My eyesight is slightly above the bottom of the screen. (7 feet away) Would you guess that I would notice the darkening at the top of the screen from either the 64" or the 60"?

4) How bad is the sound on the F8500? I've never needed a home theatre system and the room I am in is difficult to set it up. Would I at least need a sound bar? Is anyone just using the sound from the TV and happy with it?

5) I've looked at the Panasonic VT and ZT and I initially wanted to get one just because there won't be any more. Then I heard about the fan noise and decided I can't justify it for the extra cost and probably getting someone in to do the fix. (Although I could not detect the noise when trying to hear it in stores. Not even when my ear was right up to it.

6) I see there are a lot of people returning these and getting replacements. Do the stores come back out to swap it? Or do you have to bring it back yourself? I have no easy way of returning one of these giants.

7) Would you recommend I just wait, as I am very happy with what I have, just hoping for a larger, great screen.

Thanks so much for any advice. I really do appreciate it.

My only regret, not getting the 60" Kuro when I could have.

KC

I recently purchased the 64" 8500. I am experiencing no fan noise and no buzzing. I invested in a Richard Gray 1200 for power conditioning and decent cabling from Blue Jeans Cables and it has all come together nicely. I am sitting about 8ft away. This set is doing everything it is supposed to and i am much happier than i thought i would be with it. I did not get the ZT because i felt the picture was too dim. The only negative have is a RS232 Serial is listed for the TV and it was a deciding factor for me. Best way to integrate Control4. In reality, it is Samsungs ex-link version of an RS232 and we are researching on how to implement it. I dont use sound form the tv with the receiver and speaker setup i use, so i cant comment on that for you.
KCinWhitby likes this.

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
The 8500 doesn't have any externally vented fans and uses passive cooling, so it is no surprise you detect no fan noise.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 199
The big question has to be without fans, are the guts getting toasted?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM

I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I reviewed back some and didn't catch this being mentioned.

Need help.
64 inch F8500.

Picture blacks out for just under one second and when returns, does so with the banner on top transiently. Occurs with live TV as well as recorded programs on DVR.

If I backup the DVR and replay same portion of recording does NOT occur a second time. Occurred once when live TV was on pause (via Fios DVR). Still occurs when changed input from HDMI 3 to HDMI2. Still occurs with change to new DVR/Fios box.
Can't say if occurs with Bluray (don't use it enough).
Haven't noticed it with Netflix through

Samsung apps but don't use Netflix a ton.
Getting TV replaced but concerned could happen again.
Boards seem to show this happened alot through 2010. Not a lot of mention since.

Any thoughts/help??

Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 PM

Sorry if this has already been addressed.  I did not see any mentions of this problem.

Need help.
64 inch F8500.

Picture blacks out for just under one second and when returns, does so with the banner on top. Occurs with live TV as well as recorded programs on DVR. If I backup the DVR and replay same portion of recording does NOT occur a second time. Occurred once when live TV was on pause (via Fios DVR). Still occurs when changed input from HDMI 3 to HDMI2. Still occurs with change to new DVR/Fios box.

Boards seem to show this happened alot through 2010. Not a lot of mention since.

Any thoughts/help??

Old 12-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 169
JimP: Its a good design with the hot caps at the top. It radiates the heat very well keeping everything but the top areas really cool.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinBaker View Post

Is the picture quality good in game mode?

You guys still didn't answer the second part of my wuestion.

Should i buy this tv now or wait til he Super Bowl?

I heard that prices are cheaper then

Also is this tv better than the st60 and vt60 series?

Do you have pricing protection on your credit card? If so, I would double check the terms, but if you are covered for 90 days or so, you have nothing to risk by purchasing now.

Cheers.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

The 8500 doesn't have any externally vented fans and uses passive cooling, so it is no surprise you detect no fan noise.

Mute + 7 + 3 + 7 + Enter Will not only give your Hours On, but also your Panel Temperature. Best to do this holding your one Finger over the Enter Key, and input the other keys with your other hand. (Ignore the Speaker warnings when you hit the Mute Key.)
Note: You have to power down to Exit.
Damien Inferno and Ftballfn like this.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma OCD View Post

Sorry if this has already been addressed.  I did not see any mentions of this problem.

Need help.

64 inch F8500.

Picture blacks out for just under one second and when returns, does so with the banner on top. Occurs with live TV as well as recorded programs on DVR. If I backup the DVR and replay same portion of recording does NOT occur a second time. Occurred once when live TV was on pause (via Fios DVR). Still occurs when changed input from HDMI 3 to HDMI2. Still occurs with change to new DVR/Fios box.

Any thoughts/help??
My TV does the same exact thing. I also have the 64F8500. It happens a few minutes after I turn the TV on. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I was hoping it would maybe get resolved through firmware update but still happens. I think someone mentioned that it was some kind of HDMI handshake issue. I wonder how widespread the problem is?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:53 AM

Hi and happy new year,

Is there a way to save and name custom settings (NightCal, DayCal, ...)?

Regards.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrday View Post

Hi and happy new year,

Is there a way to save and name custom settings (NightCal, DayCal, ...)?

Regards.

Assuming you're talking about a Samsung, all presets can be customized, and they are automatically saved. CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT are just two more presets that can be unlocked through the service menu. Follow instructions in this post very carefully to unlock those two other presets. Keep in mind they have the exact same capabilities as Movie mode in that you can tweak anything about the picture, but I believe some things carry over (like 10 pt white balance and color balance, etc).
Damien Inferno likes this.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am owining a 64" version for 6 months and decided to make a review of it. Maybe it will help somebody to make a purchase. I am very happy with it and highly recommend it. Video review you can watch here
Denniswrly likes this.

Samsung PS64F8500, Anthem MRX 500, Dali Zensor 7.1, Apple TV 3, Sony BDPS790 Blu Ray, PS4, iDisplay Pro3, Calman 5
Old 12-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks for all your help everyone. It seems I have no real excuse any more. I just need to see where I can use my Kuro, as I can't give it up.

And of course see if I can find a 64" F8500.

I seem to see a lot of 60" in stock at locations but 64" is getting scarce.

Are these still being made going into 2014 or is something new coming? (Besides OLED)

Oh one more question, is the VESA spacing 600 X 400 on these TV. I think the 60" and the 64" are the same.

KC
Old 12-31-2013, 09:31 AM

Have others seen these spontaneous one second blackouts?

Not excited about them doing an exchange and it still happening on the new TV.

I can't see it being an HDMI handshake issue since it happens at random times on DVR and live TV.

Doesn't repeat when rewind and replay after it happens.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

I can't see it being an HDMI handshake issue since it happens at random times on DVR and live TV.

I have a 60" with a little over 200 hrs on the panel and have not experienced any spontaneous black outs.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I have, but the audio still comes in I believe. I chalked it up to my Darblet making that happen, because it's done it before on my D7000.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Assuming you're talking about a Samsung, all presets can be customized, and they are automatically saved. CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT are just two more presets that can be unlocked through the service menu. Follow instructions in this post very carefully to unlock those two other presets. Keep in mind they have the exact same capabilities as Movie mode in that you can tweak anything about the picture, but I believe some things carry over (like 10 pt white balance and color balance, etc).

Thanks a lot... this is exactly what I need.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 22
Is the best buy warranty worth getting? Its $419 for two years. Ouch. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Is the best buy warranty worth getting? Its $419 for two years. Ouch. Thanks.

Why is it so high for two years? I just got 5 years for $449 when I purchased my tv.(60Zt60)
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

I have never gotten a store warranty on anything and I have never regretted it. If stuff like electronics is going to fail it will be within the first 90 days and most mfg warranties are one or two years. Save your money. The stores love these warranties and they consider it 100% profit. They pay more commission on the warranty than they do on the product.
Sonyboy likes this.

Hugh Campbell
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post

I have never gotten a store warranty on anything and I have never regretted it. If stuff like electronics is going to fail it will be within the first 90 days and most mfg warranties are one or two years. Save your money. The stores love these warranties and they consider it 100% profit. They pay more commission on the warranty than they do on the product.

I was thinking in terms of burn in
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Why is it so high for two years? I just got 5 years for $449 when I purchased my tv.(60Zt60)

Not sure....says $699 for 5 year
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Hmm....just saw the zt60 65" for 2799. Maybe something I will think about. ...instead of the f8500
Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

I was thinking in terms of burn in

What makes you think "burn in" would be covered? That's not a manufacturing defect.

Hugh Campbell
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughScot View Post

What makes you think "burn in" would be covered? That's not a manufacturing defect.
Bestbuy's geek squad warranty covers burn in.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone recommend best extended warranty to buy for 8500?

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv