Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 337 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 12607 Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgeneration View Post

I will check right now, but I have a question for the samsung F8500 owners. I have noticed that when watching Full screen movies the top line is not turned on? Or is that part of the screen.

pic included. The top line of the lighted pixels. i know about the dark part on top.

Do you have your tv screen size set to Screen Fit or 16:9?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 12607 Old 01-26-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

Do you have your tv screen size set to Screen Fit or 16:9?

I have it set on 16x9. which one is best? Thanks for the help.
post #10083 of 12607 Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are watching tv, set it to 16:9 so it utilizes pixel shift for IR protection to protect for logo burn in. When I watch blu ray, i have it set to Screen fit as there is no worry about burn in from logos.
post #10084 of 12607 Old 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

I PM:ed him back in December but never got a reply. I guess I can try that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Thats right, warm 2.
See that, call him out twice, tap your space bar key 4 times really fast, Chad will come to the rescue. biggrin.gif
rickardl likes this.
post #10085 of 12607 Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an opportunity to purchase a used 64f5800 that's has been calibrated by Chad From these forums. I just have a few questions to see what your opinions may be.

The panel only has between 300 and 500 hours on it. Won't it eventually need re-calibrated?
Once the Blu-ray source changes, won't that throw off the calibration?.
Are there any issues with early builds of this panel I should be wary of?

This panel was purchased around March 15 from Clevland Plasma, Which, incidentally is where I would buy my new panel if I don't purchase this one.
post #10086 of 12607 Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoooth View Post

I have an opportunity to purchase a used 64f5800 that's has been calibrated by Chad From these forums. I just have a few questions to see what your opinions may be.

The panel only has between 300 and 500 hours on it. Won't it eventually need re-calibrated? Maybe a touch up, far down the road, after a few years of use.
Once the Blu-ray source changes, won't that throw off the calibration?. Maybe a bit, you should still be good though.
Are there any issues with early builds of this panel I should be wary of? Nope, there are issues with every TV made, however for the most part nothing major with this unit.

This panel was purchased around March 15 from Clevland Plasma, Which, incidentally is where I would buy my new panel if I don't purchase this one. Well, thank you smile.gif
Answers.......
tbaudoin likes this.
post #10087 of 12607 Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM

Liked: 18
Firmware 1118 was available, and I let it install.

Anyone have a report of what it does/did?
post #10088 of 12607 Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaudoin View Post

Since we had some winter today, they were running logos on what we needed to watch, so I developed a bit of IR on the display in one location. They must have been running the word "closed" in one spot way too long (it was on the channel for about 8 hours). So, after noticing it, doing the update, I did the following:

Ran the built in scroller for a couple of hours -noticed it a little more on a couple of colors, so I threw in the Disney Wow and let that run for a couple of hours.

After all was said and done, I checked to see if the calibration still held -it was still ok, and I didn't notice anything in the update that helped with a hitch I notice in 24p, no matter what way/combination of motion/film modes I use. Having said that, I just set the output to 60p and let it fly. It works better with my system for some strange reason.
post #10089 of 12607 Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I keep mine on 16:9 except when using with the PC and then screen fit is way better.

When I was running the calibration slide with the white and black alternating lines I saw that the pattern was not right and would be almost blurry with screen fit and clean as the driven snow on 16:9, so I switched from Screen-Fit to 16:9 and even keep it there for Blu-Ray as it seems sharper and more in focus. I have a home theater PC and when I put the exact same cal disc and display the pattern it is the opposite, the pattern is messed up on 16:9 and snaps right in on Screen Fit.

I never dug into why since I was so happy with both so I don't know if it is a side effect of something else in my set, just me, or what but I like the picture better in 16:9 as I said for all but the HTPC.
post #10090 of 12607 Old 01-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Thats right, warm 2.

Hi Chad -- heard a lot about you here.

I have a question on Warm 2 and will first say please feel free to ignore it as you may not want to be at work here...

I noticed when I was doing a cal by-eye that I could not get a clean white on Warm 2, seemed a little reddish/gray I could not tune out without messing up everything else, then I tried Warm 1 and it looked better, was a little bluish but I was able to adjust that out without impacting other attributes as much as when I was on Warm 2. I am wondering if I have something bigger out of whack that might be causing it not to come in on Warm 2, yet so far every pro-tune I have seen reported here has it in Warm 2. Can you give my a kick in the right direction?
post #10091 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 412
You really should use a meter to adjust white balance. Eyeballing it will nearly always favor a too cool, bluish white over a proper D65 white. We naturally perceive a bluer white to look purer.

While warm 2 is measurably the closest to D65, it has a slight lack of blue. That's subjectively very bad.

Warm 1 is measurably farther off than warm 2, but it is off in the more visually appealing direction of too much blue.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #10092 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:

You really should use a meter to adjust white balance. Eyeballing it will nearly always favor a too cool, bluish white over a proper D65 white. We naturally perceive a bluer white to look purer.

While warm 2 is measurably the closest to D65, it has a slight lack of blue. That's subjectively very bad.

Warm 1 is measurably farther off than warm 2, but it is off in the more visually appealing direction of too much blue.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense, so it is my eyes/preference out of whack.
post #10093 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaudoin View Post

Wouldn't it be neat if they included the "fixes list" on the update so we know why/what we are getting..........

post #10094 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I installed Firmware 1118 and noticed Samsung toned down the stupid laggy animations in the media player browser. The apps seem faster in general to launch etc.
post #10095 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why is that Samsung takes so much pride in their Apps working correctly ? Why don't they fix the serious items that have been discussed in this forum many times ? The things owners have had to find work arounds to make the picture as good as it can be. I bet 90% of the owners never use the damn Apps, but I bet 100% of the owners watch the Display.
Come on Samsung fix what makes better pictures first.
Don't even try and tell me you don't know of these problems. You have recieved numerous email's to the effect.

How many of those email's was about your Damn Apps.
DavidHir, gus738 and johnschwei like this.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #10096 of 12607 Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The major apps are important to some. Most of my viewing is through Youtube, Netflix, dlna media player, OTA. I was glad these work well and are easier than dealing with a HTPC.

I'm not seeing the issues most have expressed. Maybe because I have a simple setup and I realize the firmware has come a long way.

1. Netflix - I'm able to get Super HD. No audio or video dropouts as some have expressed. I don't use ARC, which may be the reason.

2. Wireless - I hardwire, but just to test, I tried wifi and don't have connection problems. I was even able to stream a Blu-ray rip on wifi, which my tablet cannot stream without stuttering.

3. Banding - I've used D-Nice slides on my 60" and don't see any banding

4. Brightness pops - I don't watch hockey, but checked out a few videos and don't notice anything. Checked out a few winter games videos and I've only seen good whites with this set and forget I'm even watching a plasma.

5. Motion - haven't noticed any major stuttering. Turned off motion processing to avoid soap opera. Don't have a bluray player to experience cinema smooth issues.

6. Black filter - Sometimes when I looked at sets in BB the filter looked grey. I was concerned about this, but now I see it looks black as long as there is no light shining directly on the screen. It does a great job in my home environment, as I watch with a dim overhead light. Even on sunny days it did well, because the tv is facing an opposite wall and not the windows. It was interesting to compare the filter with my Samsung LCD. The plasma filter looks dark as long as light is not hitting it head on, otherwise it looks grey. The LCD filter is opposite and gets darker with direct light, but the light should be outside the boundaries of the screen otherwise rainbows can be seen. The Panasonic ZT filter I saw seemed to work more like the LCD.

Yes, if you look closely you can see some feint horizontal lines, but I don't see the big deal. It's not visible under normal viewing.

7. Image retention - I have not seen any.

8. Buzzing - this is the only issue I've experienced. I have a replacement 64" set on the way. I'm concerned about banding vs the 60" on which I don't see this issue.
post #10097 of 12607 Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am presently using a old Sony (CRT) Trinitron Wega KD-34XBR960. The TV is still working perfectly and the picture is simply amazing. It would be nice to have a larger screen though. I do get some reflection on the screen during the day, but it does not bother me at all. Does anyone remember how reflective their CRT TV screen was versus the F8500 during the day. From what I have read, the premium plasma's are the closest Tv's that have the PQ of a CRT screen.
post #10098 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post

I do get some reflection on the screen during the day, but it does not bother me at all. Does anyone remember how reflective their CRT TV screen was versus the F8500 during the day. From what I have read, the premium plasma's are the closest Tv's that have the PQ of a
CRT screen.

Most F8500 owners are not really bothered by light reflections (me too) in well lit rooms.

I would say plasmas are the closest to CRT - except now the newer OLEDs are apparently closer to the CRT

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #10099 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The only flat panels that had less of a reflection problem would be a Sharp LED at this point, as they have semi-matte screen. All other flat panels use a glossy screen.
post #10100 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I just looked at some of the high end led (unf8000) and Plasma (f8500) TV's at Paul's TV. I was so disappointed that the PQ was not as good as my old Sony (CRT) Trinitron Wega KD-34XBR960. I can't believe that I am willing to pay $2-3 k and still would have to come to a forum like this one to to learn how to set the controls just to get a nice picture. learning how to use my computer seemed easier. On top of that, to get it as close as possible to it's PQ potential it has to have 300 hours on it, then get it professionally calibrated. I guess that is the trade off you have pay for wanting/having a slim large screen TV. I gotta think about this. Then again, my CRT Sony is only going to last so long...
post #10101 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM

I hope I am on the right thread here, I received my 64' earlier this week and this television is fantastic, better than any I have ever owned, however I recently noticed that I have a red pixel that flashes on the top left of the screen, looks like a laser pointer being turned on and off, I tried the WOW pixel flipper and is still their. I am just looking for some suggestions, I was thinking about returning it but the fact that the pic quality is so impressive makes it a hard decision for me. The flashing is annoying, now that I know is their. Is this a common issue? and does it justify a return...of course it is my decision, but looking for some opinions, seeing as very one on here is very knowledgeable on this tv. Thanks for any help.
post #10102 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
What's most important is your satisfaction with the purchase. If I was in my return window, I would most likely return it. As to how common, it happens, but it's hard to put a percentage on it.
post #10103 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

What's most important is your satisfaction with the purchase. If I was in my return window, I would most likely return it. As to how common, it happens, but it's hard to put a percentage on it.

Yeah, I will return it and exchange it, thanks for your input on this.
gary777 likes this.
post #10104 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary777 View Post

I just looked at some of the high end led and Plasma TV's at Paul's TV. I was so disappointed that the PQ was not as good as my old Sony (CRT) Trinitron Wega KD-34XBR960. I can't believe that I am willing to pay $2-3 k and still would have to come to a forum like this one to to learn how to set the controls just to get a nice picture. learning how to use my computer seemed easier. On top of that, to get it as close as possible to it's PQ potential it has to have 300 hours on it, then get it professionally calibrated. I guess that is the trade off you have pay for wanting/having a slim large screen TV. I gotta think about this. Then again, my CRT Sony is only going to last so long...

I am not sure what you are comparing, I still have my 600 pound (feels like it) Sony 36FS210 and it has a great picture, until you see it next to any high end plasma, for me that was my old 50" Pani and now the 64 Samsung. Both came out of the box, no tuning, with a picture that shames the Sony instantly, and your first thought, wow and I thought that was good.

That aside the biggest favor you and most people can do for themselves is delete all bookmarks to this forum and never come back again, some common myths carried on this forum that novices succumb to:

1. The biggest myth is that your 3-4,000 dollar TV needs another 500 bucks dropped in tuning. This is purist stuff, most people find the picture just plain stunning and never touch a single picture control, and of those that do use the same basic ones we have all tweaked since color TV's came out, Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness, and ok there is on new one Cell light. All of these can be done be eye with live content just like your daddy and granddaddy did it. If you looked back in the day when CRT's ruled, you would find the exact same nonsense only it involved the risk of electrocution and a cheater cord to power up the set with the back off.

2. Take my "picture quality" test, using live content, using only the basic picture controls get the picture to where you like it. Now don't mess with it at all for two months, don't come here for 2 months, don't think about this place for 2 months, chances are unless something breaks or you can't figure out a feature you will forget all about this place and our insane penchant for the "perfect" picture, if most of these guys here could they would be re-adjusting their eyes every few days and complaining to God about the black levels... The reason this works for nearly everyone is you tune you brain and not the TV. (of course if there is a real issue with your TV then you should simply return in the satisfaction period and if you bought from a place without a satisfaction period then that is on you.)

3. You Sony CRT likely has a little more to give, but removing the back, buying a set of proper alignment tools, and dealing with the cross-talk between controls that analog made an art form and digital not a lot better, but most did not do that either.

4. A lot of this is legacy from the very early sets, projectors, and tech that was not nearly close to this today, I remember when I went to Barco alignment school they suggested tuning every 90 days of a 50,000 TV.

5. There is an adjustment period going from CRT to Plasma, get over it, there is no fix for that except as noted in #2 above...

Now I am not suggesting these tunes are a waste of money for those that want every possible bit out of their TV and watch mostly blu-rays in the dark, I know it is sacrilege to say here but calibrating these sets if your viewing is like 90% of buyers, HD TV under far less that ideal lighting then you are wasting your money.

I think most folks are way overthinking their picture here and represent a very very small percentage of buyers but as these are fairly high end you will draw in the perfectionists and we can think them for keeping the makers on their toes and producing better sets every year.
kennyandersen likes this.
post #10105 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelp1977 View Post

I hope I am on the right thread here, I received my 64' earlier this week and this television is fantastic, better than any I have ever owned, however I recently noticed that I have a red pixel that flashes on the top left of the screen, looks like a laser pointer being turned on and off, I tried the WOW pixel flipper and is still their. I am just looking for some suggestions, I was thinking about returning it but the fact that the pic quality is so impressive makes it a hard decision for me. The flashing is annoying, now that I know is their. Is this a common issue? and does it justify a return...of course it is my decision, but looking for some opinions, seeing as very one on here is very knowledgeable on this tv. Thanks for any help.

Personally, I would exchange it if you can. Stuck on is or off is generally very very hard to see from normal viewing distance, but to me flashing is broken.
post #10106 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDrvr View Post

Personally, I would exchange it if you can. Stuck on is or off is generally very very hard to see from normal viewing distance, but to me flashing is broken.

Yeah, I see your point, however the pixel is not constantly flashing it is intermitted, and to be honest has actually slowed down, or it is not as pronounced as before, that is why I wanted some expert opinions, other than this small issue, the picture is simply excellent which makes me hesitant, If it diminishes to the point where I see no more flashing, then this beast is a keeper...hopefully.
post #10107 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The more I follow this thread, the more confused I get. Either all Samsungs are affected now, or they're not.
post #10108 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelp1977 View Post

Yeah, I see your point, however the pixel is not constantly flashing it is intermitted, and to be honest has actually slowed down, or it is not as pronounced as before, that is why I wanted some expert opinions, other than this small issue, the picture is simply excellent which makes me hesitant, If it diminishes to the point where I see no more flashing, then this beast is a keeper...hopefully.

If it's flashing, I would bet in less than a week, it will become stuck or off.
post #10109 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had my 64 model for 3 weeks. 200 hours. Just by eye with cell light at 20, this is the order of what appears to be brighter

Dynamic
Standard
Cal Day
Movie
Relax
Cal Night

These are all uncalibrated. Standard with the same contrast/color/tint/brightness/gamma/Warm1 appears to be as good as movie or cal night. In the end, movie, standard or day cal, seem just as bright as my previous Sharp 70 inch LED TV that had a backlight of zero in movie or standard mode. In other words, very bright. The blacks have kicked into a new and better range after 200 hours. Almost inky black.
post #10110 of 12607 Old 02-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

If it's flashing, I would bet in less than a week, it will become stuck or off.

Was thinking the same, hopefully what you say does happen, as the where its at would not be so bothersome. I was ready to exchange, but don't want a whole set of new problems, thanks for the feedback on this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page