Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 345 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10321 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Newbie
 
rivstg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Well, I took the plunge ( been a quite 'lurker' on here for a while....learning from all you !  I stumbled upon a 65" zt60 at BB that was on 'open box' with a few dents in the back that I utilmately made the decision to buy($2150) after toying with Samsung f8500 and Sony w900a and w850 ( 65'').   I got a Great deal on it.(bought the 5 yr protection package and calibration service ( since it was a display model it already had the hours on it)...took it home, plugged it in and ..........nothing..      It wouldn't power on ( could 'hear' it trying.)...had the 7 blinking red flashes of death. I could barely believe it....was SO disappointed. 

 

Next day, take it back they find another on in another store in Denver to possibly trade out,  but it had the same issue!!!!   It would have taken 3-4 weeks to have it sent out and repaired with new power board/source/supply.....but I had the fever and didn't want to wait for it while paying for it.  So, Amazingly, I threw out a suggestion....would they exchange the 65'' Panny for the 64" 8500?  They did it!!!! and it was new($3k) , not a display.   I only get a 2  yr BB warranty for the same $ vs the 5yr on the 'lower priced' Panasonic zt.

 

Wondered how many of you would opt for the extra $$ for the extended warranty.......$279 for 2 years...$529 for 5 years or not at all?

rivstg1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10322 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
newfmp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NFLD, Canada
Posts: 3,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Nah I returned everything...got my money back and calling it quits...this one has floating blacks and lag...zt60 falls apart...VT60 has soa y screen issues that it's become quite hard to justify any of these sets being "reference" pioneer is still king and always will be until OLED comes out which costs as much as a damn used car. No thanks this business is getting ridiculous and in order to get good blacks you have to spend 8k-15k to get the best..no thanks.

And yes I changed my mind because it was a used ZT. For all I know the thing could have been perfect and get it home and the so called "KURO killer" starts to peel off on the corners and/or fractures. My red tint KURO still knocks these TVs out man. I'm about to save like 1500$ and buy a little
Gaming TV. Screw it...nothing else left out there that's even worth my time or money. Who the he decided to use an autoclave anyway? What are we sterilizing TVs now? Though very interesting, a smart company like Panny should have known that they are already losing money but yet you want to use an autoclave to make your TV?? Dumb IMO. If they just out the damn thing together and just made the glass or panel different that would have been enough. But no they can't have a gap in the TV god for bid they do that.

You guys want to get on me about returning items that cost 2000$ with scratches and dirt behind the screen go right ahead but just like your separation issues, fractures, floating blacks and all the other crap going on, that is far from acceptable especially of high end products like this. That's just garbage quality control and build

In a way I actually applaud you. You are right. TV's these days have far too many issues. Picking one is really like picking the lesser of two evils. There are certain things that with any expensive product that we should not have to deal with. So you spoke with you wallet, good for you. Too many people just accept flaws and engineering/manufacturing issues too easily.
newfmp3 is offline  
post #10323 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Nah I returned everything...got my money back and calling it quits...this one has floating blacks and lag...zt60 falls apart...VT60 has soa y screen issues that it's become quite hard to justify any of these sets being "reference" pioneer is still king and always will be until OLED comes out which costs as much as a damn used car. No thanks this business is getting ridiculous and in order to get good blacks you have to spend 8k-15k to get the best..no thanks.

And yes I changed my mind because it was a used ZT. For all I know the thing could have been perfect and get it home and the so called "KURO killer" starts to peel off on the corners and/or fractures. My red tint KURO still knocks these TVs out man. I'm about to save like 1500$ and buy a little
Gaming TV. Screw it...nothing else left out there that's even worth my time or money. Who the he decided to use an autoclave anyway? What are we sterilizing TVs now? Though very interesting, a smart company like Panny should have known that they are already losing money but yet you want to use an autoclave to make your TV?? Dumb IMO. If they just out the damn thing together and just made the glass or panel different that would have been enough. But no they can't have a gap in the TV god for bid they do that.

You guys want to get on me about returning items that cost 2000$ with scratches and dirt behind the screen go right ahead but just like your separation issues, fractures, floating blacks and all the other crap going on, that is far from acceptable especially of high end products like this. That's just garbage quality control and build
Sorry, but this post is absurd. The VT60/ZT60 and F8500 are some of the best TV's ever made. If someone is so negative on all 3 of these TV's then maybe it is not the TV but the user?

Are you really in that much denial that you don't think you are the problem and I am not saying that to just be a d..ck. To talk about separation issues that might become an issue can be counted on 1 hand from the number of users that reported anything here. Micro fracture problems, you put something on wrong and it can crack. No special science in that one and that is why Panasonic issues a memo how to put the back panel back on.

Floating blacks have been noticed by barely anyone here. If 5 people notice it is it really a problem? If your TV isn't the blackest TV ever made does that mean it sucks and it is cheap? Are you a pro gamer that the lag of an F8500 will force you to lose that million dollar video game championship? You entered in 60ST60 settings into your VT60 and then question us why your picture looked bad.

Do you seriously think you will be happy with OLED? Do you think when manufacturers start to produce them they will be the first TV's ever made that will not have one issue to them. Have you ever seen a new tech come out that was perfect right out of the bat. They don't even know if they will be able to produce these things commercially yet so when and if they ever do, do you think they will just be magically.

I have tried to help you many times in these threads and also through PM's but I think at this point you are beyond help as you have not listened or taken advice from anyone on these boards. I am actually confused why you are still posting here because no matter what anyone tells you or says to try and help you it doesn't matter anyway.

We say this a lot here, just remember it is only a TV. There is no reason it should cause you so much stress, especially when you can afford the best TV's of today. Do you know how many people on this forum would love to be an owner of one of these TV's but they can't and here you are actually whining about all 3 of them. It's kind of like the guy who can only afford a bike for transportation and then you have someone complaining that there Ferrari is swaying a little to the left and what a POS it is.
ratm, JRWalker, Denniswrly and 1 others like this.
eric3316 is online now  
post #10324 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Sorry, but this post is absurd. The VT60/ZT60 and F8500 are some of the best TV's ever made. If someone is so negative on all 3 of these TV's then maybe it is not the TV but the user?

Are you really in that much denial that you don't think you are the problem and I am not saying that to just be a d..ck. To talk about separation issues that might become an issue can be counted on 1 hand from the number of users that reported anything here. Micro fracture problems, you put something on wrong and it can crack. No special science in that one and that is why Panasonic issues a memo how to put the back panel back on.

Floating blacks have been noticed by barely anyone here. If 5 people notice it is it really a problem? If your TV isn't the blackest TV ever made does that mean it sucks and it is cheap? Are you a pro gamer that the lag of an F8500 will force you to lose that million dollar video game championship? You entered in 60ST60 settings into your VT60 and then question us why your picture looked bad.

Do you seriously think you will be happy with OLED? Do you think when manufacturers start to produce them they will be the first TV's ever made that will not have one issue to them. Have you ever seen a new tech come out that was perfect right out of the bat. They don't even know if they will be able to produce these things commercially yet so when and if they ever do, do you think they will just be magically.

I have tried to help you many times in these threads and also through PM's but I think at this point you are beyond help as you have not listened or taken advice from anyone on these boards. I am actually confused why you are still posting here because no matter what anyone tells you or says to try and help you it doesn't matter anyway.

We say this a lot here, just remember it is only a TV. There is no reason it should cause you so much stress, especially when you can afford the best TV's of today. Do you know how many people on this forum would love to be an owner of one of these TV's but they can't and here you are actually whining about all 3 of them. It's kind of like the guy who can only afford a bike for transportation and then you have someone complaining that there Ferrari is swaying a little to the left and what a POS it is.

one of the best posts ever.
JRWalker likes this.
ratm is offline  
post #10325 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Finally someone who sees where I'm coming from. Our money is to precious these days. And as for the people who ride a bike to work maybe they are just being smart and keeping their Ferrari that doesn't sway to the left at home while he saves his money riding a bike. Then he could tell the guy who has the same model that his doesn't sway and his must have an issue. Sooo according to AVS logic the swaying would be normal cause nothing is perfect but yet you paid 100k for the car! So I guess you would just accept that. It must be the road or that your leaning to far to your left
In your car. No no no that is what's called a problem. So I'm sorry but I'm not spending my hard earned money if something has problems like the the ZT/VT and F8500. Even though minuscule like the car swaying..eventually that tire may come
Off. Catch my drift? Don't except what some chooses to ignore
I think everything just goes above your head.
eric3316 is online now  
post #10326 of 12270 Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
And his wife was waiting for the Perfect Husband!
My TV blew a board. It was fixed. Now has a fan on it to keep it cooler. But it's a keeper! (But, I still prefer to watch my LG 55LHX - maybe after the Radiance XS-3D arrives tomorrow, and it has the 21 Point Grayscale and 125 Point 3D LUT calibration like the LHX, choice may change?

Minor info update:

http://samsungevolutionkit.com/samsung-introduce-oneconnect-uhd-evolution-kit/#more-154
p5browne is offline  
post #10327 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

...snip...

maybe after the Radiance XS-3D arrives tomorrow, and it has the 21 Point Grayscale and 125 Point 3D LUT calibration like the LHX, choice may change?

I too have been thinking about going the LUT calibration as well.

Let us know how it turns out.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
post #10328 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dougofthenorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmlb View Post

So you saying I should try and burn an image on screen..lol How do I check for that without burning in anything?

FYI

I goofed up big time a few weeks ago with my 60F8500 (hundreds of hours on it)

Pressed pause on PVR (STB screen saver does not work when on pause !!)

Answered the door & forgot & went back in 4hrs or so later - no IR/BI at all smile.gif


Also, since new I have never seen ANY instance of IR let alone BI

even when I watched a 90 min CNN program - that icon NEVER dims mad.gif

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
Dougofthenorth is offline  
post #10329 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Member
 
vahighland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

vahighland,

Do you find the banding on all content including bluray or just cable/satellite/streaming????

For FYI, the banding on my Panasonic VT50 is much worst than on the F8500

Are you using somebody else's calibration settings?
Yes, blu-ray OPPO and Dish Network satellite. I'm using pieandchips calibration settings for now. I'll probably get this professionally calibrated after 300-500 hours. I watched a few scenes from UP in blu-ray as well as some Dish Network content. I typically see two vertical bands on the right side of the TV on light scenes such as a sky. mad.gif
vahighland is offline  
post #10330 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahighland View Post

Yes, blu-ray OPPO and Dish Network satellite. I'm using pieandchips calibration settings for now. I'll probably get this professionally calibrated after 300-500 hours. I watched a few scenes from UP in blu-ray as well as some Dish Network content. I typically see two vertical bands on the right side of the TV on light scenes such as a sky. mad.gif

That's not what we typically refer to as banding. This is what video banding looks like.

What you're describing sounds like something else.

Are you running your video signal through something else like a switcher, receiver, etc.?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
post #10331 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
vahighland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

That's not what we typically refer to as banding. This is what video banding looks like.

What you're describing sounds like something else.

Are you running your video signal through something else like a switcher, receiver, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

That's not what we typically refer to as banding. This is what video banding looks like.

What you're describing sounds like something else.

Are you running your video signal through something else like a switcher, receiver, etc.?
I would call that dithering. In any case, here's an example of what I'm seeing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVaEQR6uHA - although not as bad. I realize that it's a video of the F8000, but the symptoms are the similar to my F8500. I'm running this through a Denon 4311 receiver with no IP scaling, same setup I had with my ZT60 before I had to return due to micro-fractures.
vahighland is offline  
post #10332 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 173
VAHighland,

Try running your components directly to the display bypassing the 4311. Even though my Marantz 8801 isn't suppose to be doing any processing, I can tell a difference when I run components through them.

That video looks like clouding typical to LCDs. Maybe somebody else on this thread can comment.

If your cell light is on 20, reduce it.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
post #10333 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Do you seriously think you will be happy with OLED? Do you think when manufacturers start to produce them they will be the first TV's ever made that will not have one issue to them. Have you ever seen a new tech come out that was perfect right out of the bat. They don't even know if they will be able to produce these things commercially yet so when and if they ever do, do you think they will just be magically.
I will tell you as a once LG OLED 55EA9800 owner frown.gif , there are not many, if any issues. Especially when considered to be the first year OLED is out in a large size. I wish I could just ship one out to my clients to use for two weeks, then move it to the next guy. Man that would be sweet, Should have thought about that before I sold it, LOL !
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #10334 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:47 AM
Newbie
 
49ers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the F8500, i'm not clear on how you enable the following?

24fps: MJC set to OFF & FILM mode OFF?
60fps; MJC set to STANDARD & FILM mode OFF?
96fps; MJC set of OFF & FILM mode Cinema Smooth?


what does MJC set to Smooth do, with or without Cinema Smooth on?


apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

thanks!
49ers is offline  
post #10335 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
shadowspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber5 View Post


I did this with the touch remote and right now that is the remote that is controlling the soundbar volume. The standard remote will not control the volume yet.

Don't know if you got the standard remote to work, but we are using the IR extender to switch channels on a Comcast DTA that feeds our DVD-burning DVR. My wife complained that "it didn't work". She was using only the standard remote, sitting on the couch 12 feet away. I experimented, and discovered that it did work, but not reliably from 10 - 12 feet away. I had to stand up 3 - 4 feet from the TV to change the channel reliably. After reading your post, I tried the touch remote, and it did seem snappier.

I wonder if the standard remote has issues with the IR extender? The standard remote was not originally bundled with the TV, it was added a few months ago.
shadowspawn is offline  
post #10336 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers View Post

With the F8500, i'm not clear on how you enable the following?

24fps: MJC set to OFF & FILM mode OFF?
60fps; MJC set to STANDARD & FILM mode OFF?
96fps; MJC set of OFF & FILM mode Cinema Smooth?


what does MJC set to Smooth do, with or without Cinema Smooth on?


apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

thanks!

24fps will upscale to 60fps if you turn Cinema Smooth off. If you turn it on, it will be at 96hz. In other words, Turning it off creates a 2:3 cadence which can cause judder. 96hz creates 3:3 cadence which is much smoother. So for blu ray, I turn Cinema Smooth on and MJC off. Regular tv viewing will be at 60hz. If it is 1080i material film mode will default Auto1. 720p material will grey out film mode. I always leave MJC off for all modes. MJC creates a soap opera effect with it on or on smooth.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
wxman is offline  
post #10337 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^ Just a note that certainly for me, CS introduces artifacts between strong areas of light and dark that are in motion. I see a lot of black pixel trails following the dark areas. You have to get up close to see it happening, but even from our seating distance we see it slightly too, so ultimately I do not use CS at present.


CS also appears to be very much related to BO, although with BO on or off and CS enabled I see the same thing.
pieandchips is offline  
post #10338 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I will tell you as a once LG OLED 55EA9800 owner frown.gif , there are not many, if any issues. Especially when considered to be the first year OLED is out in a large size. I wish I could just ship one out to my clients to use for two weeks, then move it to the next guy. Man that would be sweet, Should have thought about that before I sold it, LOL !
You have no idea what this person is capable of obsessing over but if you want to ship me an OLED for 2 weeks to check out, my door is always open!
tbaudoin likes this.
eric3316 is online now  
post #10339 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
NorCalJason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

And his wife was waiting for the Perfect Husband!
My TV blew a board. It was fixed. Now has a fan on it to keep it cooler. But it's a keeper! (But, I still prefer to watch my LG 55LHX - maybe after the Radiance XS-3D arrives tomorrow, and it has the 21 Point Grayscale and 125 Point 3D LUT calibration like the LHX, choice may change?

Minor info update:

http://samsungevolutionkit.com/samsung-introduce-oneconnect-uhd-evolution-kit/#more-154

I can't figure out the benefit to a F8500...
NorCalJason is offline  
post #10340 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
KONICA TECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton, Ma.
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJason View Post


I can't figure out the benefit to a F8500...

Hopefully it might add the ability to view 4k material even though on the 8500 it would be down-resolution to 1080 with HDMI 2.0

It allows Samsung to update our sets with whatever new technology comes both through software and limited hardware changes.

KONICA TECH is offline  
post #10341 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Jaybar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought my PN60F8500 a month ago and buzzing is killing me. 10 feet away at normal volume I can hear buzzing coming from the panel. Samsung repair looked at the box and won't do anything. I have until Tuesday to return the tv to Best Buy. unfortunately they can not replace because no more inventory. I would have to swap into a UN60F8000BFXZA LED. Do your sets buzz? Do you just deal, because their is a tradeoff, do you deal with the buzzing in lieu of better picture quality? What to do! Thanks
Jaybar is offline  
post #10342 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Gary Bechtold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

Hopefully it might add the ability to view 4k material even though on the 8500 it would be down-resolution to 1080 with HDMI 2.0

I never thought about that possibility. That would be a good feature in the future when there is some broadcast OTA. (if ever?) Otherwise I would suspect that a preamplifier/receiver would take care of that 2160p > 1080p downconversion.
Gary Bechtold is offline  
post #10343 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
KONICA TECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton, Ma.
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post

Bought my PN60F8500 a month ago and buzzing is killing me. 10 feet away at normal volume I can hear buzzing coming from the panel. Samsung repair looked at the box and won't do anything. I have until Tuesday to return the tv to Best Buy. unfortunately they can not replace because no more inventory. I would have to swap into a UN60F8000BFXZA LED. Do your sets buzz? Do you just deal, because their is a tradeoff, do you deal with the buzzing in lieu of better picture quality? What to do! Thanks

These sets are not discontinued so BB should be able to get you a swap, if not, return it.....most all 60" seem to have the most buzz, can they upgrade you to a 64?

KONICA TECH is offline  
post #10344 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
KONICA TECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clinton, Ma.
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post


I never thought about that possibility. That would be a good feature in the future when there is some broadcast OTA. (if ever?) Otherwise I would suspect that a preamplifier/receiver would take care of that 2160p > 1080p downconversion.

There you go again, getting us to spend thousand to up grade our equipment when you may just have to replace a add on for a couple of hundred dollars...

I have 6 receivers that cost over $4000. sitting in a closet that are obsolete. I probably have 4 DVD players, the list goes on

KONICA TECH is offline  
post #10345 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Member
 
hpp8140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post

Bought my PN60F8500 a month ago and buzzing is killing me. 10 feet away at normal volume I can hear buzzing coming from the panel. Samsung repair looked at the box and won't do anything. I have until Tuesday to return the tv to Best Buy. unfortunately they can not replace because no more inventory. I would have to swap into a UN60F8000BFXZA LED. Do your sets buzz? Do you just deal, because their is a tradeoff, do you deal with the buzzing in lieu of better picture quality? What to do! Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

These sets are not discontinued so BB should be able to get you a swap, if not, return it.....most all 60" seem to have the most buzz, can they upgrade you to a 64?

I had a 60" that also buzzed from 12 ft away...was louder on black scenes like when there is no input.

I did some reading that the 64" did not suffer as much. I exchanged for the 64" and it is a huge difference. No buzzing, just a hummm at the back which is normal for electronics.
hpp8140 is offline  
post #10346 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
paligap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had a 60" for a few days. It was returned to BB for buzzing, so I got $400 off the sale price. I haven't been able to detect any buzzing at all.
paligap is offline  
post #10347 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Jaybar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

These sets are not discontinued so BB should be able to get you a swap, if not, return it.....most all 60" seem to have the most buzz, can they upgrade you to a 64?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post


I had a 60" that also buzzed from 12 ft away...was louder on black scenes like when there is no input.

I did some reading that the 64" did not suffer as much. I exchanged for the 64" and it is a huge difference. No buzzing, just a hummm at the back which is normal for electronics.

64 is a bit big for my living room, the 60 is already pushing it. Plus the 64 is $600 more dollars. Best Buy is also saying I have to bring the thing in to return when they installed. If not I have to pay Geek Squad, which is BS

I am worried that the buzzing will get worse than I am stuck with this POS

Samsung sent a technician over yesterday and they will not fix the unit.
Jaybar is offline  
post #10348 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
 
pieandchips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 168
^Cannot frown.gif

It either buzzes or it doesn't.
pieandchips is offline  
post #10349 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Gary Bechtold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KONICA TECH View Post

There you go again, getting us to spend thousand to up grade our equipment when you may just have to replace a add on for a couple of hundred dollars...
I have 6 receivers that cost over $4000. sitting in a closet that are obsolete. I probably have 4 DVD players, the list goes on

Ha! That is the nature of this hobby.

However, If this upgrade box is going to cost $350, you could probably find a receiver for similar cost or a little more that adds some other useful function that isn't just TV specific.

I don't see me getting any of these future upgrades for the TV anytime soon. My next upgrade will likely be a true 2160p OLED TV. That won't happen anytime soon.
Gary Bechtold is offline  
post #10350 of 12270 Old 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Any thoughts about the evo box improving color performance to reference levels????

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off