Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelp1977 View Post

Cannot be happier with this TV...this thing is a beast compared to honestly anything else on the market including 4K. Wanted to share some photos, I am thinking of upgrading my home theater not sure...as audio is not a strong suite...does anyone have any recommendations.

Yikes!!! you are playing letterbox content smile.gif]

Still not clear on this issue...went to BestBuy and sure enough the letter box bars were brighter than the center of the screen.

Although, BB plays the demo loop for days on end without varying content much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Cannot be happier with this TV...this thing is a beast compared to honestly anything else on the market including 4K. Wanted to share some photos, I am thinking of upgrading my home theater not sure...as audio is not a strong suite...does anyone have any recommendations.

What poor soul gets to sit on the couch to the left?

Sub-Woofer?
post #10713 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Well, after a week with the TV I'm still happy with it - knock on wood.

Keeping in mind I have only seen this one example of the 8500, there's a few things I would like to comment on.

Before deciding on getting the Samsung I read almost every post, every thread. The threads here are a mess. You start seeing issues with the 8500, and then no clear answer as to if the issues still exist or if a firmware got rid of them.

I'm on firmware 1119, and at least for now I can say this. Brightness pops, floating blacks, line bleed, dithering, or any other image issue I have read about - I have not seen with this tv ... yet. I do NOT use 3d, so keep that in mind.

What does exist: Buzzing - On my TV it's not a huge issue, but its certainly louder then any of the 3 Panasonics I have had (px, p77, pz80) If my ear is pointed towards the TV in the right spot, usually the center of the screen, I can hear it.

My biggest issue with the TV is hardly ever discussed. It's the anti-glare film or layer on the TV itself. if you keep your TV low, you will have LCD type viewing angles. Not so much left to right, but up and down. Looking down or up at this screen results in massive dimming. Keep the tv at eye level. Find a spot where its eye level when you sit, but not too low so when you stand up and walk around. We use the Kinect in the house, and at my original location, the TV was almost useless as it dimmed too much when we stood up. Left and Right viewing angles are as good as any plasma gets. My room is 14' wide wall to wall, and TV is wall mounted so that my eyes are in the bottom 1/3 of the screen. Seems to be ok. Sitting in the correct sweet spot, the picture is gorgeous.

You can also see the anti-glare film. You'll see banding that will move as you move your head. I ONLY see this when there is a strong reflection on the screen during day light. My window during the day for example. At night, I never see it, and I'm super picky. Ironically I do not really see any benefit to the anti-glare filter, or at least nothing to outweigh its disadvantages. I don't have lights on my ceiling, and I certainly don't have them on my floor so I'm not getting any benefit from the filter since all my reflections come from the left/right sides (lamps on tables, windows etc)

The TV can be very bright, but only if your sitting in the correct spot. A tilt mount might help. Also, the best picture mode (Movie) is nowhere near as bright as the other modes. That is typical actually. Game mode uses standard picture mode and is quite bright. You still have lots of picture adjustment options with Game Mode on.

Speaking of Game Mode. I game a LOT. PC, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One. I do NOT do online gaming. Tried Forza 5 a lot this week, Assassin's Creed 4, Killzone on PS4, tried some shooters on PC, woman did the Kinect and Dance central with no issues - I have zero issues with lag on game mode. Even Movie mode isn't too bad but I wouldn't use it.

Screen Fit seems to work for my consoles and PC. It does NOT work for my Satellite. It leaves a very small unused black border around the edge of some HD content. So basically, Screen fit - doesn't fit. I'm not ruining my Plasma with image burn just to have my tv display a 1:1 image. The zooming is a pita, I didn't have to do it with my Panasonics (or at least not so extreme) but I'd rather save my screen.

I did try the 3D. It works quite well, and this is coming from someone that flat out can not see %99 of any 3D content.

PQ wise. I am very happy with it. Coming from several Panasonics, I would still give Panny the edge in PQ. But the Samsung is very very clear, and very sharp whereas the Panny was a little soft. Is it better brightness? I do not know, but it is certainly much more clear then my other Plasma's.

Basically if they didn't put that filter on the 8500, didn't buzz, didn't have the input lag in the beginning, this would be darn close to the perfect tv.
I have the 60"
Dougofthenorth likes this.
post #10714 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 132
newfmp3,
Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy.

ISF Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #10715 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

Anyone have motion issues with their tv and how didyou solve I? I updated from 1117 to 1119 and now have bad stuttering in motion pans that makes the tvdifficult to watch. I updated with all cables disconnected and even did the sm reset after. This is very hard on the eyes like this.
Is it just cable or all devices hooked up ? If you have not check out your blu ray or gaming system, check those devises for this issue.
post #10716 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 
...You start seeing issues with the 8500, and then no clear answer as to if the issues still exist or if a firmware got rid of them...

I hear you wink.gif

I think there are many factors including issues that do not affect everyone as well as differences in perceived and described issues to make it difficult to match problems up with other members...
There also appears to be random problems happening at random times so its really hard to quantify.

Glad you like the TV smile.gif
post #10717 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 10
Ok another good question. When I feed the 8500 1080p24 with film mode completely off what is it displaying? 1080p60 with 3:2 pulldown, 5:5 pulldown? Anyone?
post #10718 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I hear you wink.gif

I think there are many factors including issues that do not affect everyone as well as differences in perceived and described issues to make it difficult to match problems up with other members...
There also appears to be random problems happening at random times so its really hard to quantify.

Glad you like the TV smile.gif

I do, and thanks for your help with answering things. I'm sure there are others to thank as well - too many to list.
post #10719 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakinskye View Post

Ok another good question. When I feed the 8500 1080p24 with film mode completely off what is it displaying? 1080p60 with 3:2 pulldown, 5:5 pulldown? Anyone?

With CS off, it's converting a 24fps to 29.97 fps using a 2:3 pulldown. If does not produce 60fps. That is why you have more judder with CS off. You can turn MJC on to reduce judder, but it will produce the Soap Opera effect. That is one the reason why the movie industry does not film at 60fps. When the last Hobbit movies was filmed at 48fps, many did not like it. Just about every plasma tv fails the 24p and 30p motion test, and thus has judder. Plasma has judder, LED has motion blur.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory"
post #10720 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

With CS off, it's converting a 24fps to 29.97 fps using a 2:3 pulldown. If does not produce 60fps. That is why you have more judder with CS off. You can turn MJC on to reduce judder, but it will produce the Soap Opera effect. That is one the reason why the movie industry does not film at 60fps. When the last Hobbit movies was filmed at 48fps, many did not like it.

Are we still losing black levels with CS on?
post #10721 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 AM

^ No. That was fixed.
post #10722 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

What poor soul gets to sit on the couch to the left?

Sub-Woofer?

Yeah I am still trying to figure that out...limited space!
post #10723 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post

Yikes!!! you are playing letterbox content smile.gif]

Still not clear on this issue...went to BestBuy and sure enough the letter box bars were brighter than the center of the screen.

Although, BB plays the demo loop for days on end without varying content much.

The set is broken in, at least over 200 hours, no issue with letterbox...of course I don't watch hours on end.
post #10724 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM

Liked: 67

The best way to properly break in such High-End HDTV's is to use a disc like DISNEY WOW calibration disc, among other things what I really liked was the PIXEL FLIPPER which actually cycles thru all colors and contrast throughout your entire screen evenly, giving every single pixel a good break-in and workout. I do this for 6hrs every night when I was asleep until we reached 200hrs. This way you can ensure an even Break-In cycle.

Hope this helps...

Denniswrly likes this.
post #10725 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

The set is broken in, at least over 200 hours, no issue with letterbox...of course I don't watch hours on end.

This is my 1st plasma, I'm still breaking it in.

It's a pity, but guess I'll hold on to my LCD for letterbox when possible. Oh the cons of plasma, I won't even be able to enjoy most movies on the new TV sigh...so far so good with image retention though.
post #10726 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Angel, looks like you have a nice clean setup. Do you find wall mounting cuts down on the sound quality coming from the down-firing speakers of the F8500?

As far as speaker systems, it depends on the overall size of your room, and acoustics. Some small floorstanding speakers and a nice sub might be beneficial. I'm partial to Energy, but audio is a preference, and if there are any audio stores nearby, it's best to audition multiple brands/models to see which sound quality you like best.

As Doug pointed out, there are multiple threads in the audio section that you might find helpful, but try not to let the self-appointed thread vigilantes deter you from participating in this thread.

Enjoy.

Yeah, I just wanted to match something the quality of this tv audio wise, I just don't want a system that looks good but poor audio quality like my current HT. I will look at some of those threads as I should have done in the first place! Thanks again for your response, I come hear to seek knowledge from you guys!!!
post #10727 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

The best way to properly break in such High-End HDTV's is to use a disc like DISNEY WOW calibration disc, among other things what I really liked was the PIXEL FLIPPER which actually cycles thru all colors and contrast throughout your entire screen evenly, giving every single pixel a good break-in and workout. I do this for 6hrs every night when I was asleep until we reached 200hrs. This way you can ensure an even Break-In cycle.
Hope this helps...

Not sure if I would consider this the best way but it is one of the ways. Running a disc adds another item in the chain that can fail while it is running running and you are not their to catch it.

Not only are you relying on your TV now but you are then relying on a DVD player in the mix. Also, not all DVD players will continuously play the pixel flipper. Some will only play it through a cycle and stop.

You can download colored slides to a usb drive and run them from there and you will then not be depending on your DVD player in the chain as another item that can fail.

Than you have people who say breaking in the TV and putting hours on it only matters if you will be getting a calibration as it usually requires about 300 hours, give or take hours for best results. Just watching full screen content and not keeping static logo's on for to long at the beginning will basically yield you the same results. Running a pixel flipper or slides will not prevent IR or burn in down the road.

The Disney WOW disc is good for removing stubborn IR though.
post #10728 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:

It's a pity, but guess I'll hold on to my LCD for letterbox when possible. Oh the cons of plasma, I won't even be able to enjoy most movies on the new TV sigh...so far so good with image retention though.

You should be able to watch letterbox movies...I did I mean not one right after the other...with no issues. I was hesitant at first but I just have not found any image retention in regards to letterbox that last more than 5 to 10 seconds. I know where you coming from, my solution was watching a lot of Netflix no logos and fills the screen!
post #10729 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:

You can watch letter box movies on a plasma. It is just recommended to try and stay away from it the first 100 hours. Also, note that the 100 hour mark has no scientific evidence behind it. lol

If you watch a letterbox movie with 65 hours on your TV, I bet you will be fine. wink.gif

Just don't watch letterbox movies continuously in the beginning so the pixels can age evenly. You can even stretch the picture to fill the screen in the beginning. Just be smart about it in the beginning and you will be fine. Anything in moderation is okay.
post #10730 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:

You should be able to watch letterbox movies...I did I mean not one right after the other...with no issues. I was hesitant at first but I just have not found any image retention in regards to letterbox that last more than 5 to 10 seconds. I know where you coming from, my solution was watching a lot of Netflix no logos and fills the screen!

Don't listen to everyone you hear on here, because it's a little overkill unless you plan on entering your HDTV into a Shootout!

Which is what most people are aiming for on here, it gets a little crazy sometimes. But in a good way :)

As for a viewer that wants great settings you will walk away with sound advice and a much better picture than out of box.

But be practicle and enjoy your tv and just use your own sense. Besides your tv will show you with Image Retention if your really

being an idiot. I'll probably get flak for saying so but seriously being so anal to get exactly 300hrs before you use your HDTV is a bit Ridiculous. It's a tv watch and enjoy!

Angelp1977 likes this.
post #10731 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

Don't listen to everyone you hear on here, because it's a little overkill unless you plan on entering your HDTV into a Shootout!
Which is what most people are aiming for on here, it gets a little crazy sometimes. But in a good way smile.gif
As for a viewer that wants great settings you will walk away with sound advice and a much better picture than out of box.
But be practicle and enjoy your tv and just use your own sense. Besides your tv will show you with Image Retention if your really
being an idiot. I'll probably get flak for saying so but seriously being so anal to get exactly 300hrs before you use your HDTV is a bit Ridiculous. It's a tv watch and enjoy!

Agreed I fell into that category of being really too careful at first looking for something wrong instead of just enjoying...which I broke myself out of that habit and thoroughly enjoying it now...!
post #10732 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Is it just cable or all devices hooked up ? If you have not check out your blu ray or gamiIng system, check those devises for this issue.

It's on all devices. Have seen it on Bluray and normal tv viewing as well as a bit on PS4.
post #10733 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Well, after a week with the TV I'm still happy with it - knock on wood.

Keeping in mind I have only seen this one example of the 8500, there's a few things I would like to comment on.

Before deciding on getting the Samsung I read almost every post, every thread. The threads here are a mess. You start seeing issues with the 8500, and then no clear answer as to if the issues still exist or if a firmware got rid of them.

I'm on firmware 1119, and at least for now I can say this. Brightness pops, floating blacks, line bleed, dithering, or any other image issue I have read about - I have not seen with this tv ... yet. I do NOT use 3d, so keep that in mind.

What does exist: Buzzing - On my TV it's not a huge issue, but its certainly louder then any of the 3 Panasonics I have had (px, p77, pz80) If my ear is pointed towards the TV in the right spot, usually the center of the screen, I can hear it.

My biggest issue with the TV is hardly ever discussed. It's the anti-glare film or layer on the TV itself. if you keep your TV low, you will have LCD type viewing angles. Not so much left to right, but up and down. Looking down or up at this screen results in massive dimming. Keep the tv at eye level. Find a spot where its eye level when you sit, but not too low so when you stand up and walk around. We use the Kinect in the house, and at my original location, the TV was almost useless as it dimmed too much when we stood up. Left and Right viewing angles are as good as any plasma gets. My room is 14' wide wall to wall, and TV is wall mounted so that my eyes are in the bottom 1/3 of the screen. Seems to be ok. Sitting in the correct sweet spot, the picture is gorgeous.

You can also see the anti-glare film. You'll see banding that will move as you move your head. I ONLY see this when there is a strong reflection on the screen during day light. My window during the day for example. At night, I never see it, and I'm super picky. Ironically I do not really see any benefit to the anti-glare filter, or at least nothing to outweigh its disadvantages. I don't have lights on my ceiling, and I certainly don't have them on my floor so I'm not getting any benefit from the filter since all my reflections come from the left/right sides (lamps on tables, windows etc)

The TV can be very bright, but only if your sitting in the correct spot. A tilt mount might help. Also, the best picture mode (Movie) is nowhere near as bright as the other modes. That is typical actually. Game mode uses standard picture mode and is quite bright. You still have lots of picture adjustment options with Game Mode on.

Speaking of Game Mode. I game a LOT. PC, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One. I do NOT do online gaming. Tried Forza 5 a lot this week, Assassin's Creed 4, Killzone on PS4, tried some shooters on PC, woman did the Kinect and Dance central with no issues - I have zero issues with lag on game mode. Even Movie mode isn't too bad but I wouldn't use it.

Screen Fit seems to work for my consoles and PC. It does NOT work for my Satellite. It leaves a very small unused black border around the edge of some HD content. So basically, Screen fit - doesn't fit. I'm not ruining my Plasma with image burn just to have my tv display a 1:1 image. The zooming is a pita, I didn't have to do it with my Panasonics (or at least not so extreme) but I'd rather save my screen.

I did try the 3D. It works quite well, and this is coming from someone that flat out can not see %99 of any 3D content.

PQ wise. I am very happy with it. Coming from several Panasonics, I would still give Panny the edge in PQ. But the Samsung is very very clear, and very sharp whereas the Panny was a little soft. Is it better brightness? I do not know, but it is certainly much more clear then my other Plasma's.

Basically if they didn't put that filter on the 8500, didn't buzz, didn't have the input lag in the beginning, this would be darn close to the perfect tv.
I have the 60"

Great write up lad - you did a lot of research on this purchase - glad you're pleased - hope I was at least some help for you buddy...
I wish they made these in a 40" - I would get one for my HT in my vacation trailer on Cape Breton Island

The pic will settle after a few hundred hours - I find it more pleasing - the FW updates probably helped also.

------------------------
Regards,

Dougofthenorth

Save turtles:
http://www.turtleshelltortue.org
post #10734 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes thanks to you Doug as well. Cape Breton is a gorgeous place.

Is there any way to see the hours on the tv without the standard remote? all I have is the fancy one and a harmony.
post #10735 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 06:24 PM

I'm glad that their is Anti-Glare Film, that way in the day time the white ceiling walls and the reflective laminated hard wood floors do not reflect off the screen. As it was designed to do.

post #10736 of 12337 Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

It's on all devices. Have seen it on Bluray and normal tv viewing as well as a bit on PS4.
That is really weird, never of heard of that issue.......going thru an AVR or straight to the TV ?
post #10737 of 12337 Old 02-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Liked: 37
Chad!!!! Flashback I'm haveing on your review of f8500.would be very nice now that you have had awhile..your review and impressions now..really because firmware updates and many you have Cal this year ..ty in advance.

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #10738 of 12337 Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Chad!!!! Flashback I'm haveing on your review of f8500.would be very nice now that you have had awhile..your review and impressions now..really because firmware updates and many you have Cal this year ..ty in advance.

+1
post #10739 of 12337 Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You can download colored slides to a usb drive and run them from there and you will then not be depending on your DVD player in the chain as another item that can fail.

The F8500 brings up a "Loading" icon for a split-second every time it changes images when running a slideshow. I wouldn't want that up while trying to break in the TV, because that will promote uneven wear in the top-right corner of the screen because of that small display.
post #10740 of 12337 Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 PM

^ Yep another thing that annoys me when calibrating, is that the HDMI input is static top right. Kind of annoying as I always think it's doing harm being up for a long while.

It would be better if the thing just timed out after a couple of seconds IMO.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page